Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

FM21 related.

I am conceding a lot of goals from ball over the top. I play higher DL, offside trap, force opposition outside and tight marking. My two CB-s(playing 433 DM) are fast and whenever I play against a faster attacker, he just escapes them and usually scores.

What to do here? To remove offside trap or lower the DL or just mark the attacker?

• Replies 15.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 19/11/2020 at 08:01, Bakiano said:

FM21 related.

I am conceding a lot of goals from ball over the top. I play higher DL, offside trap, force opposition outside and tight marking. My two CB-s(playing 433 DM) are fast and whenever I play against a faster attacker, he just escapes them and usually scores.

What to do here? To remove offside trap or lower the DL or just mark the attacker?

Yes I’ve seen this too when using the same tactic as FM20

I'm scoring 3-4 per game so it’s risk versus reward for me but I’m definitely keeping less clean sheets this year.

I had wondered whether to change my defend setting to either wide or narrow as I use the default currently but as it sometimes balls over the top through the middle and also over the top out wide that result in a goal I’m not sure whether to simply accept that’s it’s a byproduct of my tactic as I play my IWBs in the DM strata.

Edited by Fritz13

FM21 related.

I see that being pretty normal, if you don´t want balls over the top of the defense, get that DL lower and the offside trap off. Or be ready to finish games 4-2, 5-3, 2-5 and the likes. Aggressive football leads to aggressive results. 

Hi folks,

Does anyone know how long match preparation actually lasts? The tooltip says "upcoming/next match", however if I have a game on both a Wednesday and Saturday, and then add Att. Movement (for example) to my schedule for the Monday/Tuesday sessions, the training overview page says that the Att. Movement match preparation is still active for the Saturday game. I was wondering if this actually applied to "games that week". I've tried having a google around this, but I'm yet to find anything that says different to the in game tooltip.

4 minutes ago, mattgoth said:

Hi folks,

Does anyone know how long match preparation actually lasts? The tooltip says "upcoming/next match", however if I have a game on both a Wednesday and Saturday, and then add Att. Movement (for example) to my schedule for the Monday/Tuesday sessions, the training overview page says that the Att. Movement match preparation is still active for the Saturday game. I was wondering if this actually applied to "games that week". I've tried having a google around this, but I'm yet to find anything that says different to the in game tooltip.

It only affects the upcoming match. No matches after. So if you have it scheduled for Monday, but a match on Wednesday and Saturday, it only has an effect the Wednesday.

1 minute ago, HUNT3R said:

It only affects the upcoming match. No matches after. So if you have it scheduled for Monday, but a match on Wednesday and Saturday, it only has an effect the Wednesday.

Thank you for confirming :) I felt like I've asked a daft question when the answers in game, but I'm sure I've seen the match preparation categories linger around in the overview screen for a couple of games.

HI all!

FM21 Question.

I'm playing as Liverpool and getting some great xG numbers. I'm dominating the opponent with really high xG BUT I'm not converting the chances. Is there something I can do instruction wise or in training to help me convert more chances?

Thanks in advance!

14 minutes ago, mattgoth said:

Thank you for confirming :) I felt like I've asked a daft question when the answers in game, but I'm sure I've seen the match preparation categories linger around in the overview screen for a couple of games.

No worries. It's a reasonable question as the UI doesn't help the case.

1 minute ago, joekim87 said:

HI all!

FM21 Question.

I'm playing as Liverpool and getting some great xG numbers. I'm dominating the opponent with really high xG BUT I'm not converting the chances. Is there something I can do instruction wise or in training to help me convert more chances?

Thanks in advance!

You're better off starting a thread. This thread is for quickfire questions answers and this isn't one. When you do, provide all the info you can, including how you set up tactically and what exactly the issues are.

35 minutes ago, Spartak Trigger said:

Would adding the "moves into channels" ppm work with a player who had the "plays with back to goal" ppm?

Thanks in advance

I could see this working quite well for a F9 or DLF-s, who you want to drop back into space, collect the ball and then play someone else in on goal.

4 hours ago, Sharkn20 said:

FM21 questions,

Is it anywhere I can watch the average formations and roles of the opposite players during the match, before the half time?

I am still on FM20, but if I correctly understood Rashidi's most recent videos about FM21 - it seems to be no longer available. May anyone correct me if I am wrong. 

@Rashidi

20 hours ago, Sharkn20 said:

FM21 questions,

Is it anywhere I can watch the average formations and roles of the opposite players during the match, before the half time?

Thanks in advance.

You have the answer from Rashidi in the comment just above this one :thup:

On 23/11/2020 at 06:22, Rashidi said:

Any result>Analytical data>Team 
That should bring the old analysis page up, but it still has a lot of UI errors so I would wait till release to see if they are fixed. 

Sorry, I didn´t express myself properly, I meant while I play the match. At the moment, you can only have that information at half time.

I meant this screen, while we play the match.

image.thumb.png.f8d4dd21934fdb67563b1827d265e50f.png

Edited by Sharkn20

FM21 is different in that you can't analyse using these tools unless its half time, full time or post match. During the course of the match your tools are limited to what you see in the Dugout and the Touchline Tablet.

36 minutes ago, Rashidi said:

FM21 is different in that you can't analyse using these tools unless its half time, full time or post match. During the course of the match your tools are limited to what you see in the Dugout and the Touchline Tablet.

Is that intentional? Or are they gonna change it with updates?

@Christopher S I unfortunately had to remove your comment. The only reason is that it's irrelevant to the topic of this thread (and the tactical forum in general) and on top of that has the potential to turn the discussion in an unwanted direction and thus derail the entire thread (whose purpose is to deal exclusively with simple questions in a simple manner). 

You can report any bug(s) in the relevant forum section (bugs forum) :thup:

Is there a way to assign "pass into space" as a player instruction for one player rather than the whole team?

Edited by Experienced Defender
the non-quickfire part removed
3 hours ago, koikingu said:

Is there a way to assign "pass into space" as a player instruction for one player rather than the whole team?

The "Take more risks" player instruction is (sort of) the equivalent of the PiS team instruction. So that's the player instruction you are looking for here.

2 hours ago, JayJay8 said:

Hello, I wonder what does it mean - My players wants more attention for CORE UNIT.

What is the CORE UNIT?

Bez tytułu.png

It means they want dedicated training for their unit. So if those are defensive players training in the defensive unit, they want training sessions where the defensive unit is the primary beneficiary. 

see here on defending engaged, the primary focus is Defensive unit, and the impact priority is 60%. Whereas the attacking unit is 40% of the training.

image.png.f2ee8cc94711590e1d1ee29358a09b69.png

15 minutes ago, 04texag said:

It means they want dedicated training for their unit. So if those are defensive players training in the defensive unit, they want training sessions where the defensive unit is the primary beneficiary. 

see here on defending engaged, the primary focus is Defensive unit, and the impact priority is 60%. Whereas the attacking unit is 40% of the training.

image.png.f2ee8cc94711590e1d1ee29358a09b69.png

Thank You! it makes sense now

@kertiek I had to remove your question because it exceeds the rather narrow purpose of this thread (short and simple questions that can be answered by as short and simple answers).

Yours requires more than that and therefore you need to start your own separate thread.

3 hours ago, kevaggel said:

Is that a bug or my next opposition scout is bad ?

I am talking about the role (mezzala) of number 47 Badelj.
b9f905af2e292722b73fcb3acde77057.png

If it's a bug then i 'll go to report it.

Looks like a bug, as a mezzala from a central spot isn't possible. Could just be saying that is that particular players best role, but it has the positions of him and CML wrong.

Where can I find more information on footedness of a player that's already on my team. I can find their preferred foot, but what I want to see is what their weak foot ability is. For example, I want to know if it's decent enough to consider training them to be either footed, or if they are just so bad at their weak foot they will always be one footed, and then maybe train them to use the outside of their foot.

31 minutes ago, 04texag said:

Where can I find more information on footedness of a player that's already on my team. I can find their preferred foot, but what I want to see is what their weak foot ability is. For example, I want to know if it's decent enough to consider training them to be either footed, or if they are just so bad at their weak foot they will always be one footed, and then maybe train them to use the outside of their foot.

I don't know if this has changed in FM21 (as I am still on FM20), but that information can normally be found in the player profile>Development>Tactics. There you can see how good or bad his weaker foot is.

30 minutes ago, 04texag said:

Development Tab > Tactics.

That's all that's been stated on player footedness. From my experience if a player has a 'Reasonable' weaker foot then it can be improved m otherwise, it takes significant effort that may not pay off.

5 hours ago, Gbrexiton said:

When is it best to use tight marking?

There is no "best" or "worst" in FM, but basically tight marking works better when you play a more defensive style of football in a bottom-heavy formation and compact defensive shape.

For more details or advice, you'll have to start a separate thread. 

15 hours ago, r_amanze said:

Could someone please give me their thoughts on which type of tactical set-up suits the ‘Be More Disciplined’ team instruction?

On the face of it, the BMD instruction would seem to be more suited to rather defensive tactical styles. And in some cases it is true .However, there are situations (tactics) in which the use of such an instruction can lead to tactical overkill and actually prove counterproductive. Because all elements of a tactic are highly interconnected, so there are (too) many factors you need to think about and take into account.

For example, lower team mentalities already discourage creative freedom, so adding the BMD instruction could be a bit too much. On the other hand, if you play on a high mentality and use a number of highly creative and roaming roles, the BMD can sometimes be a good idea, so that your tactical setup would not lose its structure completely.

Basically, there are many nuances that can make a difference in one way or the other. 

6 hours ago, Experienced Defender said:

On the face of it, the BMD instruction would seem to be more suited to rather defensive tactical styles. And in some cases it is true .However, there are situations (tactics) in which the use of such an instruction can lead to tactical overkill and actually prove counterproductive. Because all elements of a tactic are highly interconnected, so there are (too) many factors you need to think about and take into account.

For example, lower team mentalities already discourage creative freedom, so adding the BMD instruction could be a bit too much. On the other hand, if you play on a high mentality and use a number of highly creative and roaming roles, the BMD can sometimes be a good idea, so that your tactical setup would not lose its structure completely.

Basically, there are many nuances that can make a difference in one way or the other. 

Appreciate the detailed response thanks.

We all know what the lines represent and how they work, and the arrows for width too but has there been an article or thread that goes on to explain what the different "shaded" parts of the pitch in this section of the tactics UI work:

image.png.5c88e5ebc02f96edc61d4e54f78154f9.png

I was always curious about what they represent gameplay-wise but never really gave it much thought.

Edited by witticism

FM21 related.

Do u prevent the opposition keepers taking short kicks? Always uncheck that if the opposition has a beast target man or super quick forwards and the long ball is effective 

I think people leave that on even when the opposition has poor cbs. Your better off letting their keeper pass short to them and then press the cbs or off their poor passes

14 hours ago, witticism said:

We all know what the lines represent and how they work, and the arrows for width too but has there been an article or thread that goes on to explain what the different "shaded" parts of the pitch in this section of the tactics UI work:

image.png.5c88e5ebc02f96edc61d4e54f78154f9.png

I was always curious about what they represent gameplay-wise but never really gave it much thought.

The upper exclamation mark indicates the final third and the lower one represents your defensive third. 

@niv1996 Your question requires analysis of your tactic, so it cannot be answered here. Please start your own separate thread topic, post a screenshot of your tactic and ask again there :thup:

P.S: I'll send you a copy of your question so that you would not need to write it again. 

@tamertunatt Your question cannot be asked/answered in this Quickfire thread and therefore requires a separate thread.

Therefore, start your own thread and ask again there (ideally with a screenshot of the tactic as you envision it).

19 minutes ago, witticism said:

What's the collective wisdom on improving a player's consistency?

image.png.13b6f016dbc5ded704fd3bfe0e1c70b9.png

As far as I know there is no direct method to solve this so I am curious how everyone else works with/around it?

You can't, at most it improves 1 or 2 points over 20 during their career.

So if you want to have that player, you have to assume that he will have off games here and there, or often in that case as it is Red.

8 minutes ago, Sharkn20 said:

You can't, at most it improves 1 or 2 points over 20 during their career.

So if you want to have that player, you have to assume that he will have off games here and there, or often in that case as it is Red.

Thats what I thought, I dont often pay attention to it specially if the player is good enough

26 minutes ago, witticism said:

What's the collective wisdom on improving a player's consistency?

image.png.13b6f016dbc5ded704fd3bfe0e1c70b9.png

As far as I know there is no direct method to solve this so I am curious how everyone else works with/around it?

A player can improve consistency by playing consistently well. It can also decline if performances are inconsistent. By just how much it can improve, I unfortunately do not know.

I noticed 1 player in my FM20 save who never had anything mentioned about Consistency (so it was average) and eventually (after me struggling to get the best out of him) the coach report mentioned he's "fairly inconsistent", so it declined from where it was.