Football Manager 2014 - Update 14.2.2 - Feedback Thread

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm not sure, tbh. That's why I didn't respond to that :D

I don't pay a lot of attention to the commentary. I'm sure others with more knowledge in those areas will respond to it soon enough :thup:

I believe that commentary is due an overhaul, but it's actually an enormously complex area.

There are thousands of strings of text which need to be sensibly knitted together, and they all have to be translated into multiple languages.

Will is now February 28 or March 1 coming out this patch??

We are passionate about the game, former players ... we buy the game on pre-order and are suffering a slow work, which does not seem to connect or simply make light with its users ...

I (like many) I did my part, I reported several bugs, lags, bugs in general, I'm awaiting this patch we have a match worthy of FM engine 14, which may still be a perfect match!

Patch coming soon!

We want to play the game without problems! : D

I played PSG in French Champions trophy and lost 5-3 (7 set piece goals btw) but something very odd happened. Before the match, my team had fairly good morale, but after it dropped to very poor. This happened to the entire team. FYI my next 3 results looked like this.

L 2-0 to Lyon

L 4-0 to Lorient

W 6-0 to Dijon

Has anyone ever seen massive drops in morale like this?

erm this is a joke right?

7ED5452B12168D9A504A1A940C78F20E1435F795

moaning about first team football... before the first game in the league has kicked off?

Have you just signed him or has he been with the club over a year?

I'm not sure, tbh. That's why I didn't respond to that :D

I don't pay a lot of attention to the commentary. I'm sure others with more knowledge in those areas will respond to it soon enough :thup:

The commentaries and the animations are often completely at odds. It is quite often funny.

"He will kick himself for missing that!" - no, it was a very tight angle under pressure.

"That was a whisker away from a goal" (or something) - no it was several meters to the side and the keeper would have had no problems saving it if it wasn't.

"He clears the ball into row z!" - what he actually did was miskick it badly so that the opponent could pick it up and score.

"He saves and holds the ball!" - no he didn't.

"He crosses to the far post" - not even close, buddy. That was more like a 45 degree backpass.

"He heads the ball behind!" - no it went out for a throw-in.

"He unleashes a thunderous drive!" - it rolled silently in to the keeper.

etc etc etc...

The commentaries and the animations are often completely at odds. It is quite often funny.

"He will kick himself for missing that!" - no, it was a very tight angle under pressure.

"That was a whisker away from a goal" (or something) - no it was several meters to the side and the keeper would have had no problems saving it if it wasn't.

"He clears the ball into row z!" - what he actually did was miskick it badly so that the opponent could pick it up and score.

"He saves and holds the ball!" - no he didn't.

"He crosses to the far post" - not even close, buddy. That was more like a 45 degree backpass.

"He heads the ball behind!" - no it went out for a throw-in.

"He unleashes a thunderous drive!" - it rolled silently in to the keeper.

etc etc etc...

So they're basically like real life commentators - clueless muppets?

My players are so bad, I have to rely on the commentary to find out if it's a cross or a shot. That's all I really use it for :D

So they're basically like real life commentators - clueless muppets?

Pretty much. Real life commentators say so much that by order of probability they sometimes get things right, though. The commentaries in FM are 100% wrong, so I don't understand how people can rely on commentaries to make tactical decisions.

I have quit until patch...

Playing as Porto...needing to beat Benfica in 2nd last game of season..lost 1-0 because my keeper kicked it straight to their striker who knocked it into an empty net....couple of weeks later Cup Final against Benifca again...lost 1-0 as my keeper decided to kick it

straight to the same striker AGAIN who knocked it into an empty net...I don't know what else to say to that...

I have quit until patch...

Playing as Porto...needing to beat Benfica in 2nd last game of season..lost 1-0 because my keeper kicked it straight to their striker who knocked it into an empty net....couple of weeks later Cup Final against Benifca again...lost 1-0 as my keeper decided to kick it

straight to the same striker AGAIN who knocked it into an empty net...I don't know what else to say to that...

That you should get a better goalkeeper who won't make such basic errors?

Goalkeeper distribution is an aberration in FM14 as has been well documented. Rarely see a 'keeper who can kick the ball as far as halfway yet both the defence and opposition are lined up as if it will go a reasonable distance. Then there are scenarios such as described above. where your 'keeper gives it straight to the opposition when under no pressure and with various other options available.

At the moment, it's a case of trying to pick the lesser of two evils because both punting it 'long' and playing it short and un-necessarily risky due to the poor match engine.

What date was the last patch for 2013 released ?

Last year, FM 2013 13.3.0 patch was released in 28th February. :) I don't know where people are getting the early march, but if you check in Sigames site, or google it, you'll see it was in 28th February. I remember last year being crazy when it was released.

Last year, FM 2013 13.3.0 patch was released in 28th February. :) I don't know where people are getting the early march, but if you check in Sigames site, or google it, you'll see it was in 28th February. I remember last year being crazy when it was released.

28th February/Early March. I think you're splitting hairs a bit.

Nope, not neccessarily.

Agreed - it is contextual.

A flat red card for accidentally overshooting your area in slippery conditions would be harsh.

Pretty sure the old "denying a clear goal scoring opportunity" line comes into it somewhere.

I started looked though the FIFA official rules and regulations to get the exact answer, but it bored me.

If this first touch problem isn't resolved in the latest patch, I think my head might explode. What's the point of buying technically amazing players if they can't control a football. Gah.

Hi I read lots of negativity on these forums mostly about how game is broken and ME is bad wheres the new patch etc...So just wanted to share that over all the years ive played FM I just had my most felt sense of achievement winning LC with Hull and finishing 10th first season might not be that great for some but over years Ive always played as big teams winning leagues and champions leagues etc but this save I have actually felt I have accomplished something and SI can take some time before last patch as I dont want to stop this current save.

Right guys, I need help on whether I am wasting my time on playing FM14. It has nothing to do with the game itself, its just the way I want to play the game. I only like playing on commentary as I hate watching games, what I have been trying to do is set up a decent tactic an for it to get better with the better players I sign but it isn't happening I've struggled pretty bad. I don't moan or complain when I am struggling though because I know I could maybe have avoided a few results if I watched games, but it doesn't interest me at all. In previous FM's I managed to get away with playing the game how I wanted but on FM14 I've had no joy, I'm not one who expects instant success right away I just like to see progress being made. I've had a few breaks from FM14 but then I get the urge to try an play it how I like but I always seem to fail and I just think I am wasting my time because sometimes I can play FM14 for up to 5/6 hours a day.

I kind of know I am wasting my time but I can't seem to stop trying, I think if I heard it from other people then I would accept it and call it a day on FM14 for good.

lennon67. If you play by watching commentary only, then that's the type of manager you should take opinion from. There is no point you listening to me, (who watches 3d), or the next bloke, (who watches 2d matches). You really need to hear if it is doable now with just commentary only, (which is really going to limit potential responses).

I must admit that I am the person least qualified to give you advice, because I am unable to read my commentary most of the time, (white writing on the pale blue San Marino background makes it just about illegible), but make sure that when you are taking opinion on board, you actually do so from people for whom the commentary is a big/major part of their feedback, (mine us largely highlight and stat based).

Jimbokav1971, that actually makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the reply, appreciated. I kind of feel myself I'm really up against it just playing with commentary only, if its not really doable then I'm fine with that an accept it, I can't complain I've had many great years playing the FM's.

Right guys, I need help on whether I am wasting my time on playing FM14. It has nothing to do with the game itself, its just the way I want to play the game. I only like playing on commentary as I hate watching games, what I have been trying to do is set up a decent tactic an for it to get better with the better players I sign but it isn't happening I've struggled pretty bad. I don't moan or complain when I am struggling though because I know I could maybe have avoided a few results if I watched games, but it doesn't interest me at all. In previous FM's I managed to get away with playing the game how I wanted but on FM14 I've had no joy, I'm not one who expects instant success right away I just like to see progress being made. I've had a few breaks from FM14 but then I get the urge to try an play it how I like but I always seem to fail and I just think I am wasting my time because sometimes I can play FM14 for up to 5/6 hours a day.

I kind of know I am wasting my time but I can't seem to stop trying, I think if I heard it from other people then I would accept it and call it a day on FM14 for good.

I play the same way (not commentary only, but playing with a single decent tactic and hoping to improve season-by-season without tweaking for every match) and was in the same boat. I finally quit my Arsenal save after 4 seasons because I managed to win a CL title and the game had become so stressful that I was looking for a good stopping point.

IMO you cannot count on any sort of consistency. It feels like the effects of motivation/complacency dwarf any small tactical tweaks you make (as long as you have a sufficiently sound tactic to begin with) and barring a huge gulf in quality (like PSG in France) winning the league is a crapshoot and comes down to which of the top 5 or so clubs is the luckiest and drops the least points in matches where they're huge favorites. Now, I'm sure there's an argument that this is actually realistic, but it can be downright maddening to see your players perform brilliantly at Man City only to look a complete mess against relegation candidates the next week, and not have any clue why.

I play the same way (not commentary only, but playing with a single decent tactic and hoping to improve season-by-season without tweaking for every match) and was in the same boat. I finally quit my Arsenal save after 4 seasons because I managed to win a CL title and the game had become so stressful that I was looking for a good stopping point.

IMO you cannot count on any sort of consistency. It feels like the effects of motivation/complacency dwarf any small tactical tweaks you make (as long as you have a sufficiently sound tactic to begin with) and barring a huge gulf in quality (like PSG in France) winning the league is a crapshoot and comes down to which of the top 5 or so clubs is the luckiest and drops the least points in matches where they're huge favorites. Now, I'm sure there's an argument that this is actually realistic, but it can be downright maddening to see your players perform brilliantly at Man City only to look a complete mess against relegation candidates the next week, and not have any clue why.

But this isn't really true, and to be honest I think its very misleading to tell someone they can't count on consistency.

Do the 14.2.2 update or the 14.3 update have:

The new Dutch Jupiler League in the game with 3 youth teams, 2 amateur teams and relegation to the amateur league?

The real life Dutch Eredivisie price money (deal with Fox / Rupert Murdoch), which gives the teams millions a year?

Jimbokav1971, that actually makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the reply, appreciated. I kind of feel myself I'm really up against it just playing with commentary only, if its not really doable then I'm fine with that an accept it, I can't complain I've had many great years playing the FM's.

The one thing I've learned from playing on commentary is that you need to have a really good grasp of what you are doing when you start, and be pretty good with recognising patterns when looking at the match analysis etc. Arguably it's also made harder because the commentary itself could do with some overhauling, but you have to accept in some ways you are disadvantaged by not watching the game play out. I think its possible but tough, certainly in the last two years. I never last too long, and usually go back to the 3d, I feel i miss too much information without it.

I know how you feel because being an "oldy", the commentary was often what I looked for to gauge the significance of something that seemed insignificant to me on the pitch but was deemed a key highlight, (ie. why was it key? What was I missing?) I have been sorely tempted to use the editor for the first time just to change the colours but have managed to restrain myself.

Unlike jujigatame, I don't have an issue with using just 1 tactic, and have found the very consistency that he says he lacks over the course of an 11 season save. The question isn's so much, "Is that consistency acheivable in FM14", (because some have proved that it is), but is the commentary a useful enough tool on it's own for you to be able to analyse the game and react accordingly.

If you keep a beady eye on the stats, then I would say probably yes, but it's gonna be an awful tough job if I'm honest.

[Edit]

Can I just say, that the idea of playing match after match after match for season on season without tweaking seems completely ridiculous to me. Absolutely brain-dead idiotic. If you are defending very deep, but you are playing against a really dominant huge TM that is lacking in pace, then doesn't basic common sense tell you to defend higher up just against this bloke? By the same token, if you are playing a high defensive line but playing against a team that you think will counter-attack you with lots of pace, doesn't it seem sensible to consider defending slightly deeper? I'm not saying that you change your whole tactic, but if you aren't willing to "tweak" stuff like this then you deserve exactly what you get in my opinion. (Not aimed at lennon67 by the way).

Some good helpful posts Jimbokav1971 & themadsheep2001, appreciated. A lot of the things written makes a lot of sense. I think it would be best if I called it a day with FM14, like I said I'm not the greatest tactically and I feel this version is a lot more difficult than previous years. When I play FM I can't just play for a hour or so I always end up playing for 5/6 hours and it gets really frustrating spending all that time and then struggling pretty bad. Not the games fault though, just I'm not very good lol.

I have been sorely tempted to use the editor for the first time just to change the colours but have managed to restrain myself.

I think it would help legibility if FM used a font with an outline to get round the low contrast/clashing colours problem. Black or white depending on how light/dark the colours are. Get the wrong kit colours and you can find yourself wanting to change clubs just so the commentary is readable!

Archived