Football Manager 2014 - Update 14.2.2 - Feedback Thread

How long is a piece of string?

Twice the distance from the middle to the end

Good news about the patch though, I've been playing throughout but the corner goals can be incredibly frustrating - especially when you watch your own CB stop it going out for a goal kick by nutting it back into his own 6 yard box where it then ends up in the back of the net

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If this is to be constructive opinion, it's the same I can say about you.

The fact that you are a moderator does not give you the right to offend others.

Unfortunately moderators will always defend the product, despite the fact that it is full of bugs.

I just checked your posting history to see if I have stepped out of line - I haven't.

Constructive opinion is welcome. Toys out of pram, repeatedly, are not.

Might have mentioned this before.

It would be nice if your staff, which is set to bring youth players to the club, would recognise that the player they're signing

is the exact same player i had released a month earlier; due to him being not needed any longer.

I released him for a reason.

Yes, i could change the staff responsibilities but that would really make the feature pointless, as it's there for a reason

and i'm using it.

Done a few experiments today and I must say the amount of crosses blocked or intercepted is really ruining the game. Wingers with far better acceleration and pace than the full back are not delivering as instructed. They seem to go past the defender and check thus allowing said defender to get a block in. Done experiments with drill, float, cross early and standard and it seems the same across the board. This obviously causes the problem in a lone tall striker not scoring goals.

Done a few experiments today and I must say the amount of crosses blocked or intercepted is really ruining the game. Wingers with far better acceleration and pace than the full back are not delivering as instructed. They seem to go past the defender and check thus allowing said defender to get a block in. Done experiments with drill, float, cross early and standard and it seems the same across the board. This obviously causes the problem in a lone tall striker not scoring goals.

It's interesting you say that, because in another experiment that somebody else did over the weekend, Crouch at Stoke, Berbatov at Fulham, Long at Hull and some Dutch bloke at Norwich, (I think), all seemed to be doing rather well in similar circumstances.

It seems to me that we can't score goals from 1v1's, we can't score goals from outside the box, free-kicks are a rarity, an noe you want to add crosses for goals to the list. I know that OG's happen too often, but at this rate they will be the only goals we can score.

:lol:

It's interesting you say that, because in another experiment that somebody else did over the weekend, Crouch at Stoke, Berbatov at Fulham, Long at Hull and some Dutch bloke at Norwich, (I think), all seemed to be doing rather well in similar circumstances.

It seems to me that we can't score goals from 1v1's, we can't score goals from outside the box, free-kicks are a rarity, an noe you want to add crosses for goals to the list. I know that OG's happen too often, but at this rate they will be the only goals we can score.

I get a few free kicks!!! In fact most of the goals I get are from set pieces although I don't concede from set pieces ironically but I tend to put full backs on posts for free kicks as well!!

It could be tactical but I have tried 442, 4321, 451, 4411 with wingers, IF's, DW's on support, attack. Strikers as TM, DLP, DF, AF, with AM's, SS's, you name it I have tried it. And the wingers are getting in positions to cross it's just that the full backs seem to have large shin pads!!!

It's coming up to a month since I last played FM 2014, 19/01/2014 was when I decided to give up. I couldn't handle the random crashes where I couldn't click Continue (Ubuntu), and the annoying problems with the match engine any longer. I do have trust in SI fixing the problems soon however.

Still its faired better than Simcity, which I've completely given up hope on.

DortmundvHSV_StatsMatchStats_zpsb71b1e4e.png

Just too many goals in FM14..goalkeepers are terrible..

5 goals conceded when they have 6 shots on target...

Not every time, but almost every time I see a ridiculous post, I look to the left and what do I see...... your name. :lol:

Let's ignore Luton 7 - 0 Hereford, Motherwell 4 - 3 Partick Thistle, Linfield 6 - 0 Ballinmallard and other results outside the Premiership that happened just this weekend and look at just Premiership matches.

Newcastle 0 - 4 Spurs.

Fulham 2 - 3 Liverpool.

Liverpool 5 - 1 Arsenal.

Aston Villa 4 - 3 West Brom.

Spurs 1 - 5 Man City.

Liverpool 4 - 0 Everton.

Man City 4 - 2 Cardiff.

Stoke 3 - 5 Liverpool.

Fulham 1 - 4 Sunderland.

Swansea 2 - 3 Man City.

West Ham 3 - 3 West Brom.

Hull 6 - 0 Fulham.

Newcastle 5 - 1 Stoke.

Southampton 2 - 3 Swansea.

Fulham 2 - 4 Man City.

Spurs 0 - 5 Liverpool.

Man City 6 - 3 Arsenal.

Everton 4 -1 Fulham.

Liverpool 4 -1 West Ham.

Stoke 3 - 2 Chelsea.

Liverpool 5 - 1 Norwich.

Southampton 2 - 3 Aston Villa.

Sunderland 3 - 4 Chelsea.

West Brom 2 - 3 Man City.

Everton 4 - 0 Stoke.

Man City 6 - 0 Spurs.

Everton 3 - 3 Liverpool.

Swansea 3 - 3 Stoke.

Liverpool 4 - 0 Fulham.

Southampton 4 -1 Hull.

Man City 7 - 0 Norwich.

Liverpool 4 - 1 West Brom.

Man Utd 3 -2 Stoke.

Crystal Palace 1 - 4 Fulham.

Arsenal 4 - 1 Norwich.

Chelsea 4 - 1 Cardiff.

Swansea 4 - 0 Sunderland.

Everton 3 - 2 Newcastle.

Aston Villa 3 - 2 Man City.

Man City 4 - 1 Man Utd.

Newcastle 2 - 3 Hull.

West Ham 2 - 3 Everton.

Cardiff 3 - 2 Man City.

Man City 4 -0 Newcastle.

Swansea 1 - 4 Man Utd.

Now those are just the Premiership games from this season where either 1 side scored 4 or more or where the total goals were at least 5. Looking at your username, I have highlighted the results from just 1 particular team that might be of interest to you.

We have already clarified, (looking at the tactics you create), that you have a penchant for tactics with little substance in the middle that is actually quite likely to encourage these big scores, so why should we be surprised when you show us a 5-4?

Your posts don't show up what is wrong with the game, (I have never had a 4-5 in 11 seasons of my save now). They show up something else entirely and I will be polite and not spell it out for you.

Look. You have asked for and received advice, and then chosen to ignore this advice. Why don't you just do us all a favour and give it a rest.

[Oooh. I've just remembered I have a list. It's been a while.]

Four of those goals had nothing to do with my tactics and were unpreventable!

One from a corner, one penalty and two from freekicks!!

My tactic I'm using is good, has me Top of the German league and have beaten Arsenal and Bayern M already...

I have taken advice, gone back to basics and made a simple effective tactic which is 100% fluid

Four of those goals had nothing to do with my tactics and were unpreventable!

One from a corner, one penalty and two from freekicks!!

My tactic I'm using is good, has me Top of the German league and have beaten Arsenal and Bayern M already...

I have taken advice, gone back to basics and made a simple effective tactic which is 100% fluid

And how were those corners, free-kicks and penalties won? To say that tactics were nothing to do with those is just not right. Surely you can see that it's possible that leaving your defence exposed (if that's what you did) could lead to you conceding a penalty or free-kick you wouldn't have if you were better set up?

I can handle conceding 5 in a game if its my open tactics...

1st goal..free kick delivered in..defenders bobble it about until it goes in

4th goal...free kick...header at back post unmarked defender...I have tight marking as my instruction..

5th goal...just long through ball...rifled straight through the goalkeeper...

If I had scored 5 in that game I would have conceded 6... No doubts..

Given you are 'top of the German League', I'm assuming this doesn't happen every week? Therefore take it for what it is, a game you've conceded a lot of goals, mostly from set pieces, and move on. If you're conceding 5 set piece goals every game, then there's an issue somewhere.

I can handle conceding 5 in a game if its my open tactics...

1st goal..free kick delivered in..defenders bobble it about until it goes in

4th goal...free kick...header at back post unmarked defender...I have tight marking as my instruction..

5th goal...just long through ball...rifled straight through the goalkeeper...

If I had scored 5 in that game I would have conceded 6... No doubts..

And again you're not addressing what I mentioned. Why did you concede these? That's down to your tactics.

You know all these "Super-tactics" that you can go and download..... Has anyone checked what the defend corner instructions are?

As someone who has looked a lot at defensive set-pieces, I would be interested to know.

Also, as they have to be individually tweaked to fit your own players, how do people who just download a tactic and play, expect to NOT concede from set-pieces.

I am pretty sure that if I gave my current tactic, (which is very striong defensively, especially at corners), to Dave or forameuss, then they would concede lots of goals if they didn't swap who does what. It's quite possible that it wouldn't even work for them at all because they might not have the players able to do certain things that my instruction asks of them.

By the same token, (I think Dave has a decent corner set-up too), if i started using his hook line and sinker, I would encounter exactly the same problems. I effectively have 4 centre-backs in my team, and an AF who us very dominant in the air. I wouldn't expect to see many other teams have such strength in that area, (although there are obvious weaknesses elsewhere).

I'm a bit bemused why this is so hard for some to get their heads round.

If you concede from a corner, why isn't it your fault? It's certainly my fault when I concede from a corner. Why is there a "freeby" on corner responsibility?

Not every time, but almost every time I see a ridiculous post, I look to the left and what do I see...... your name. :lol:

Let's ignore Luton 7 - 0 Hereford, Motherwell 4 - 3 Partick Thistle, Linfield 6 - 0 Ballinmallard and other results outside the Premiership that happened just this weekend and look at just Premiership matches.

Newcastle 0 - 4 Spurs.

Fulham 2 - 3 Liverpool.

Liverpool 5 - 1 Arsenal.

Aston Villa 4 - 3 West Brom.

Spurs 1 - 5 Man City.

Liverpool 4 - 0 Everton.

Man City 4 - 2 Cardiff.

Stoke 3 - 5 Liverpool.

Fulham 1 - 4 Sunderland.

Swansea 2 - 3 Man City.

West Ham 3 - 3 West Brom.

Hull 6 - 0 Fulham.

Newcastle 5 - 1 Stoke.

Southampton 2 - 3 Swansea.

Fulham 2 - 4 Man City.

Spurs 0 - 5 Liverpool.

Man City 6 - 3 Arsenal.

Everton 4 -1 Fulham.

Liverpool 4 -1 West Ham.

Stoke 3 - 2 Chelsea.

Liverpool 5 - 1 Norwich.

Southampton 2 - 3 Aston Villa.

Sunderland 3 - 4 Chelsea.

West Brom 2 - 3 Man City.

Everton 4 - 0 Stoke.

Man City 6 - 0 Spurs.

Everton 3 - 3 Liverpool.

Swansea 3 - 3 Stoke.

Liverpool 4 - 0 Fulham.

Southampton 4 -1 Hull.

Man City 7 - 0 Norwich.

Liverpool 4 - 1 West Brom.

Man Utd 3 -2 Stoke.

Crystal Palace 1 - 4 Fulham.

Arsenal 4 - 1 Norwich.

Chelsea 4 - 1 Cardiff.

Swansea 4 - 0 Sunderland.

Everton 3 - 2 Newcastle.

Aston Villa 3 - 2 Man City.

Man City 4 - 1 Man Utd.

Newcastle 2 - 3 Hull.

West Ham 2 - 3 Everton.

Cardiff 3 - 2 Man City.

Man City 4 -0 Newcastle.

Swansea 1 - 4 Man Utd.

Now those are just the Premiership games from this season where either 1 side scored 4 or more or where the total goals were at least 5. Looking at your username, I have highlighted the results from just 1 particular team that might be of interest to you.

We have already clarified, (looking at the tactics you create), that you have a penchant for tactics with little substance in the middle that is actually quite likely to encourage these big scores, so why should we be surprised when you show us a 5-4?

Your posts don't show up what is wrong with the game, (I have never had a 4-5 in 11 seasons of my save now). They show up something else entirely and I will be polite and not spell it out for you.

Look. You have asked for and received advice, and then chosen to ignore this advice. Why don't you just do us all a favour and give it a rest.

[Oooh. I've just remembered I have a list. It's been a while.]

No you are wrong, there is a big issue with too many goals scored between AI teams and goals from corners and it's aknowledged by SI in the bugs forum.

Look at the evidence and thell me that any professional team in this world would have results like this every week.

Untitled_zps3d7db5e2.png

andu1. Show me where a member of SI staff states that there are too many goals scored from corners. They have not said this.

It has been reiterated, (in this thread even), time and time again that they are NOT looking at this.

Hang on a minute and I will get you a recent quote.

[Edit]

Ok. Here is a quote. It's not the one I was looking for, but it does the job.

Short answer, no. I hope I don't sound blunt and wholeheartedly apologise if I do, its because I've covered this before so many times the topic has become incredibly dull.

SI's own results show that this is not the result. The whole point is that the numbers fall in line with real life generally. Partly because corners themselves could be improved in quality in terms of direction and deliverance. There is more to corner than people have given it thought for

We dont have too many corner goals in game so this doesn't matter. Besides lack of variety would stem from needing to improve attacking decision making.

Nope, not even remotely related. That is an entirely separate set of things to look at.

Now that was taken from the Mythbusting thread if you want to read it in contect. The crux of it is though.

SI are NOT looking at reducing goals from corners. The reason they are NOT looking to do this is because they DO NOT think there are too many goals from corners right now.

How is that not clear enough?:confused:

I'm not really complaining about the conceding of the goals, my issue is that of the game itself..

I don't feel it's enough to just click on 'def set pieces' before a game and hope that you don't concede from a corner or freekick

The game gives us no feedback on whether it has been successful or my defenders/goalkeeper are able to defend them..

We have no instruction to tell defenders to clear lines quickly or tell the goalkeeper to come out and punch ball...

Irl if a team concedes numerous set piece goals...the training ground would be where to get it sorted..

Defensive position, attacking movement, teamwork etc the options we have at the moment are just vague phrases where I cannot

see what actual good it does...or what benefit to my team actually happens as a result...

1. Are there any ramifications for referees that really mess up in a match or get really poor ratings for a match or make some Really BIG BAD decisions in a game? or is the referee stats just there for aesthetic purposes?

2. it's been a long long while since any SI staff actually posted on this thread.. It's not really good for us, endusers. as it makes it appear as though you guys aren't following the thread or the issues that are being raised.. i'd love you guys to post responses more occasionally so that it'd be clear to all that you guys are interested in our issues. A big thumbs up to the normal guys (non-SI staff) that are busy answering queries on here though

3. We need some sort of timeline or any sort of news really on the next patch to the game..

andu1. Show me where a member of SI staff states that there are too many goals scored from corners. They have not said this.

It has been reiterated, (in this thread even), time and time again that they are NOT looking at this.

don't bother.

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/384706-Reviewed-Ridiculos-results-between-AI-teams

1. Are there any ramifications for referees that really mess up in a match or get really poor ratings for a match or make some Really BIG BAD decisions in a game? or is the referee stats just there for aesthetic purposes?

2. it's been a long long while since any SI staff actually posted on this thread.. It's not really good for us' date=' endusers. as it makes it appear as though you guys aren't following the thread or the issues that are being raised.. i'd love you guys to post responses more occasionally so that it'd be clear to all that you guys are interested in our issues. A big thumbs up to the normal guys (non-SI staff) that are busy answering queries on here though

3. We need some sort of timeline or any sort of news really on the next patch to the game..[/quote']

1. Not really sure, I don't think so. Would be nice if this is added in, with how it usually works in England, but is this the case in all countries? It's not a massive miss for me.

2. SI very rarely comment as a rule, but they do monitor the thread. If they did post more often, all they'd get is abuse, which is why they stopped posting for the most part. They're a lot more active in the bugs forum (the devs/testers at least).

3. No we don't. Absolutely not. As soon as they put a timeline on it, there's a chance that it'll slip, which would just lead to more abuse from the general populace. They do it absolutely correctly right now from their own perspective, and that's all that really matters to be honest, whether it frustrates users or not.

[Edit]

Ok. Here is a quote. It's not the one I was looking for, but it does the job.

Now that was taken from the Mythbusting thread if you want to read it in contect. The crux of it is though.

SI are NOT looking at reducing goals from corners. The reason they are NOT looking to do this is because they DO NOT think there are too many goals from corners right now.

How is that not clear enough?:confused:

Do you really want to make me start up the game to post some pictures with 3 of my Central Defenders scoring over 10 goals in a season?

Do you really want to make me start up the game to post some pictures with 3 of my Central Defenders scoring over 10 goals in a season?

I might just do that anyway.

DC1_zps6b971d08.png

DC2_zpsa3f5956c.png

DC3_zps011f3c72.png

DC4_zps32cab069.png

p.s in the last season i just gave the defendrs instructions to go forward and their scoring reduced. I was getting tired seeing Varane outscoring Isco

You are speaking to the wrong person.

I don't agree with you, (but I'm nobody).

The important people who don't agree with you are the people that make the game.

They don't agree with you.

You guys are asking him for evidence and he's giving you evidence. It seems he can't get anything right....

Those AI results for Almeria are particularly worrying and, as his thread confirmed, SI and Adam Mingay admit over-scoring is something they are aware of and working to improve. So there is no real need to get shirty...especially when he's willing to offer proof in-game instead of the usual moaning. Jesus.

EDIT: Furthermore none of your examples achieved 9 goals like the 5-4 andu1 showed in-game so your argument doesn't quite stack up.

As for my experience, right now I'm at March 2014, about 2/3 of 1st season, I've played 38 matches in all competitions, scored a total 115 goals of which 29 were from corners. It seems a little too high even for a top team (FC Porto), but I think the problem is with defending set pieces abd I think this has been acknowledge by SI.

SI and Adam Mingay admit over-scoring is something they are aware of and working to improve.[/b]

I'm certainly not getting "shirty".

The point I made' date=' (which you either missed or ignored), was not about anything other than SI having commented that there are not too many goals being scored from corners in the game.

I never said that they had made a comment either way about anything else.

EDIT: Furthermore none of your examples achieved 9 goals like the 5-4 andu1 showed in-game so your argument doesn't quite stack up.

Apart from this one you mean?

Man City 6 - 3 Arsenal.

:rolleyes:

I'm certainly not getting "shirty".

The point I made, (which you either missed or ignored), was not about anything other than SI having commented that there are not too many goals being scored from corners in the game.

I never said that they had made a comment either way about anything else.

Apart from this one you mean?

:rolleyes:

That's one game in the whole season in which there were 9 goals scored. Almeria had 2 in 3 weeks.

Something funny, just had one matchday in which 2 games ended 6-4 and 5-5.

Also look at the end year league table. A relegated team scoring 56 goals , not to mention Almeria's goal record , an amazing 89-88.

I bet some of the problems with too many goals scored also come from corners.( SI also mentioned there are too many corners at higher levels)

table3_zps11b42188.png

I bet some of the problems with too many goals scored also come from corners.( SI also mentioned there are too many corners at higher levels)

This is the single last time I am going to say this.

SI, have categorically stated, that they are happy with the amount of goals that are scored from corners.

Do you understand that?

It means, that if, (IF IF IF IF IF), there is a problem somewhere along the line with too many goals being scored, (and just to give you another un-related possible issue, 1v1's), it is not, (repeat NOT NOT NOT), caused as a result of too many goals scored via corners. Because.... there are NOT too many goals scored from corners.

Do you get that?

I cannot put it any more plainly than that.

Thanks and good-night.

Ok thanks and good night. I do not want to argue with you, just posting evidence that something in the ME is not working properly

perhaps is just coincidence that my pair of central defenders scored 19 goals in just one season from corners

Ok thanks and good night. I do not want to argue with you, just posting evidence that something in the ME is not working properly

perhaps is just coincidence that my pair of central defenders scored both 19 goals in just one season.

If you want to post evidence, you really should be posting it on the bug thread you opened, rather than getting into a needless back and forth. It's SI who will look at it, and no one else matters :thup:

Probably not the place to ask but worth a shot. About these crossing issues that I have, ie full backs constantly blocking my wide men's crosses, I was googling earlier and came across a theory that using a playmaker could be part of the problem because wingers may look for a possible ball to the PM before making any cross therefore a delay in the decision process. Logical possibility or load of bumph?!?!

The corners thing has to be improved, it's completely ruining this version of the game. Almost every corner is at least a clear cut chance, not from the corner itself, goals direct from corners are probably realistic in their volume. It's the goals direct from the clearance that annoy me. A defender heads it away and it's lashed in. Over and over and over again.

There is no fun to be had in this version. The changes to the transfer budget make signing players far too hard and the match engine is so unsettled, everything is so extreme. Interviews pre-match and team talks are still far too powerful. There are tons of games you simply cannot win because of some comment someone made pre-match. Another thing I'm sick to the back teeth of is how effective the AI manager saying one of your players is a weak link is. Totally bored of it, seeing players like Tim Howard on a 4.3 at half time after dropping it into the net twice after being called the weakest think pre match.

Another massive annoyance is Manchester United. The reality of their averageness is being witness in real life. Meanwhile in FM, it seems no one told them the script. 1 defeat in 3 years on my current game in the Premier League and they've signed only Cavani and Badelj. Crazy.

Archived