Miles Jacobson

Oliver & Paul Collyer - M.B.E.s

375 posts in this topic

I am honoured to be able to announce that Oliver & Paul Collyer, founders of Sports Interactive, originators of the ideas that have become Football Manager and Football Manager Live, and all round good blokes, have been awarded M.B.E.'s in the New Year Honours List for their services to the UK games industry.

We are delighted to see this award being given to our friends and colleagues, who both thoroughly deserve it. Without Ov & Paul, and the ideas they had when still at school in their home county of Shropshire, there would be no modern day Football Manager, no Football Manager Handheld, no Football Manager Live, and no SI or SI community, so we all owe a big debt to them, and it's nice to see the UK hierarchy recognise that.

Below is a statement from Oliver & Paul.

"We are really proud to have been given this honour, which is something we never thought would happen to us.

We first started working on the ideas that have become the Football Manager series over 20 years ago because we wanted to make football management games that we wanted to play. That the games have been so successful was never part of the master plan, and we have to thank everyone on the team at Sports Interactive for all their work over the last 2 decades, as well as our teams of researchers, testers, moderators, SEGA and our other publishing partners, and our community for everything they've done, as we certainly wouldn't be able to be accepting this honour without all of their hard work.

We're still heavily involved in the games, with Paul heading up the match engine, and Ov heading up Football Manager Live, and we look forward to many more years making games with the rest of the team that so many people out there enjoy to play.

We feel really lucky to be receiving this honour because we've been lucky enough to spend our lives doing something we enjoy, and indulging one's passion is easy - therefore we dedicate the awards to everyone who has helped us along the way - thank you to all of you."

Yes I, I can't believe I have been following you guys for the best part of 2 decades and still managed to stay married and have kids! Long may the free advertising on the BBC continue and long may you develop the game of games. Congratulations and truly .......

NUFF RESPECT to you both

Wonderful! Richly deserved too! I can't remember a series I've bought with such regularity!

Fantastic news. Thoroughly deserved :), when are they taking over Everton FC again? ;)

Congratulations Ov and Paul!

It's great to see people from the video games industry recognized in the same way leaders from more established fields are. :)

Very much deserved, well done. The only games that make you actually feel like a football manager have come from the Collyers.

At this point I also doff my cap to all at SI for making FM2010 the best football management game to date.

Congratulations and thanks to you all.

Congrats to the Ov and Paul, great to see people in the games industry get recognised :thup:

their bad bad blokes then and miles give us this addictive drug called football manager every year :(

its impossible to get rid of it we need more and more and more:( :(

jokes aside congrats :D

Congratulations chaps.

Throughly deservered imo. You have brought us many years of happiness, addiction, tears and trophies. And will do for years to come :)

Well played. I'm shocked to be honest, you are both heroes to everyone around these parts but to be recognised with an MBE is special.

Wow that's pretty special, many congratulations to you both.

I'm not British, so i do not know how special is it to be awarded with a MBE(don't even know bout' it till i google-d it). Then again, judging from the responses, i'm guessing it must really be a big award. So congrats to the both of you.

Congrats guys This is well deserved to you both.

It just goes to show that your dream all that time ago and hard work do pay off. Again well done Paul and Oli.

i have spent 13% of my like since april playing fml and played si games since i was 8 (cm2italy). you have done more for my spare time than anyone else. I have never got bored. so ggwp :)

Congrats to both chaps :thup:

Good to see someone from outside the Games Industry recognise the Collyer Brothers' efforts over the years.

Very surprised as surely no-one notices the little old games industry? Totally deserved, considering the value for money I've got playing hours (and hours and hours) of FM and the original CM. Many congratulations guys!

Very pleased for them both - they've always come across as decent blokes with plenty of time to converse and listen to the fans. Here's to another 20 years :thup:

congrats a well deserved honour.

Will these be upgraded to Knighthoods when HRH releases a patch :D

Congrats, Oliver & Paul. BIG thanks for the countless years of CM and the addictiveness associated with it. :D

Just noticed there's an OBE in the honours list to someone for services to the computer gaming industry. A Paul Jackson? No idea who he is though.

Good to see our favourite past-time is getting more recognition.