Final: Argentina vs France, 3PM GMT, Lusail Iconic Stadium

Darius1998

• Administrators
5 minutes ago, G-Man11 said:

But good to know some people are *****. Maybe we should boycott those companies as well? Instead of acting like children one-upping anyone on the playground. But then we all know you'd be cheering on those governments and multinational companies along with Oche.

I'm not so sure that point is all that unreasonable though. There is just too much, to be on the right side of everything. Dollar to donuts we use things everyday without realizing or knowing what unethical, immoral practices are behind it. 

Don't think it means some people are "*****" though. And to be honest, if that's the attitude towards people who don't toe the line then it's not going to win many supporters to the cause.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Lucas said:

I'm not so sure that point is all that unreasonable though. There is just too much, to be on the right side of everything. Dollar to donuts we use things everyday without realizing or knowing what unethical, immoral practices are behind it. 

Don't think it means some people are "*****" though. And to be honest, if that's the attitude towards people who don't toe the line then it's not going to win many supporters to the cause.

Yes all of that is true but beside the point and I discussed all that stuff before the tournament :).

It's just because those two are ***** generally and never miss a chance to show it. It wasn't about them watching the world cup, loads of decent people on this forum did.

5 minutes ago, samuelawachie said:

This Mbappe guy should really have left France and gone to one of the bigger leagues when he had the chance. Very bad decision on his part and I equate it slightly ahead of Neymar leaving FCBarcelona to go to PSG as one of the worse transfers/decisions of recent years. He's just shackled himself professionally over there in the French capital.

If he want's to be considered alongside Messi and Ronaldo he can't spend his career at PSG. People spent to long knocking Messi down a peg because he didn't win a WC despite everything else he did. Mbappe can't spend the next 10 years winning Ligue Une at walking pace and expect to held alongside Ronaldo and Messi

8 minutes ago, samuelawachie said:

What a final. What a tournament. What legends..

This Mbappe guy should really have left France and gone to one of the bigger leagues when he had the chance. Very bad decision on his part and I equate it slightly ahead of Neymar leaving FCBarcelona to go to PSG as one of the worse transfers/decisions of recent years. He's just shackled himself professionally over there in the French capital.

Also, watch out for this France team when these youngsters all mature a bit more.. Once it went to penalties, I had an inkling Argentina would win because they had more experienced players but this French team, when/if it comes of age, would be fantastic to watch.

I'm happy for Messi. Watched him when he came up and to finally see this happen, I'd quote Rowling "All is finally well in the world".

I hope the success of this tournament doesn't make people forget the atrocities that Qatar pioneer and perpetuate.

And finally, I second those saying that the World Cup should be played in the middle of the season. It makes for a better show having fit players.

He wants to win the Champions League with his hometown club. Sure he's being paid handsomely for it, but you listen to/read interviews about it and it's clear that that's something that is really important to him.

People defend Shearer for going to/staying with Newcastle. This is no different really. 

1 minute ago, Confused Clarity said:

He wants to win the Champions League with his hometown club. Sure he's being paid handsomely for it, but you listen to/read interviews about it and it's clear that that's something that is really important to him.

People defend Shearer for going to/staying with Newcastle. This is no different really. 

:D

PSG is a vehicle for the Qatari government, pretty big ****ing difference. Mbappe would definitely be at another club if he wasn't being paid all the monies.

Edited by Coulthard's Jaw

19 minutes ago, skybluedave said:

We've missed a trick. We should have dressed up Italy at last summers Euros in a Parka coat

They should definitely put the winners in the hosts’ national dress from now on. Mbappe going up to collect the 2026 trophy in a sombrero.

1 minute ago, Confused Clarity said:

How is this being treated in Brazil? The BBC claimed South Americans are all happy it's been taken back from Europe.

Brazil somewhat divided but more pro-Argentina than against it, I think. We are not big fans of France either, which also helped make people support Argentina.

Moving on from the mudslinging...

Player of the Tournament: Lionel Messi
Young Player of the Tournament: Josko Gvardiol
GK of the Tournament: Bono
Biggest underachievers: Denmark
Biggest overachievers: Morocco

You could argue Germany over Denmark for the underachievers maybe.

4 minutes ago, InigoPatinkin said:

He's spot on though, your argument is literally this meme

We Should Improve Society Somewhat | Know Your Meme#

Don't be the guy in the orange shirt Rebs :D 

I genuinely don't get the car one :D 

Is it supposed to be a metaphor, because the other two are pretty literal?

9 minutes ago, Heartwork said:

The mudslinging is the most pathetic thing in this thread. Gman, oche, SCR all throwing around unprovoked insults and getting defensive. Who hurt you guys?

What mudslinging am I doing pray tell?  I’m praising those who didn’t watch for having  better morals than I have, my exact words.

Or you mean my dig at you personally?  

5 minutes ago, InigoPatinkin said:

He's spot on though, your argument is literally this meme

We Should Improve Society Somewhat | Know Your Meme#

Don't be the guy in the orange shirt Rebs :D 

Umm I'm not sure it is, but anyway, I still don't think there's call for the rudeness, but I suppose some descend to that level.

Still on a high after watching today. I bet it's amazing in Argentina right now.

Just now, Weezer said:

I genuinely don't get the car one :D 

Is it supposed to be a metaphor, because the other two are pretty literal?

I think they're all pretty literal and mean the same thing right? They're just reverse chronological repetitions of the same argument (someone partakes in something they aren't entirely happy about because society makes it really hard to avoid, vocalises that issue and then gets shot down by the man in the orange shirt for hypocrisy).  

The car one specifically is just about the hoo-har around car safety in the 40's/50's I think. 

Football is a mental game; both literally and figuratively! How did the French team just gain so much confidence from their 1st goal after playing nothing till then, and Arg just lose all their fortitude!

We saw it happen against Spain, Germany and a few others. The World Cup of comebacks

And that referee deserves a mention. It will take some effort looking for the post to upvote it where others mentioned it, but he had a perfect game getting all the major decisions spot on. 

5 minutes ago, InigoPatinkin said:

I think they're all pretty literal and mean the same thing right? They're just reverse chronological repetitions of the same argument (someone partakes in something they aren't entirely happy about because society makes it really hard to avoid, vocalises that issue and then gets shot down by the man in the orange shirt for hypocrisy).  

The car one specifically is just about the hoo-har around car safety in the 40's/50's I think. 

Fair enough, I did not know that was a thing.

10 minutes ago, samuelawachie said:

Football is a mental game; both literally and figuratively! How did the French team just gain so much confidence from their 1st goal after playing nothing till then, and Arg just lose all their fortitude!

We saw it happen against Spain, Germany and a few others. The World Cup of comebacks

And that referee deserves a mention. It will take some effort looking for the post to upvote it where others mentioned it, but he had a perfect game getting all the major decisions spot on. 

Not sure about the first penalty for Argentina

33 minutes ago, samuelawachie said:

L'equipe don't agree about the ref :D 

I wonder what L'Equipe gave the ref after the England match :D

I disagree he was brilliant, just good. His judgment was right on the penalties and the Thuram dive but he let too many cynical/bad fouls go without a booking which meant there were more similar fouls later on. Alsogot suckered in by Argentina players claiming fouls in the first half.

Just now, The_jagster said:

I wonder what L'Equipe gave the ref after the England match :D

I disagree he was brilliant, just good. His judgment was right on the penalties and the Thuram dive but he let too many cynical/bad fouls go without a booking which meant there were more similar fouls later on. Alsogot suckered in by Argentina players claiming fouls in the first half.

I think he was just worried about giving a red card in a World Cup final and erred on the side of caution a bit too often rather than any kind of incompetency.

Tbh a red card would have been great, the icing on the cake for a game that had everything.

7 minutes ago, Weezer said:

I think he was just worried about giving a red card in a World Cup final and erred on the side of caution a bit too often rather than any kind of incompetency.

Tbh a red card would have been great, the icing on the cake for a game that had everything.

No chance of giving a red if you never give a yellow in the first place!

It was a funny match. 
Mental was the key. 

I think at the same time that that WC put Messi in the throne of this era and make evident that it is impossible to do a comparison between different era. 
If players like Maradona or R9 had the same treatment of Messi, they would score 5 goals per game. 

He was always free withou needed to make any movemwnt off the ball.
and doyou remember any (real) foul suffered by Messi?