Match 17: Cymru vs Iran BBC1 10am GMT LIVE from the Ahmad bin Ali Stadium

Confused Clarity

Just now, Weiry said:

I’m not Iranian but even I did a few fist pumps after that goal!

me too, this has been a brilliant watch

I mean you can't hold a nation responsible for something someone says, but ever since Robbie Savage said "Macclesfield would beat Iran" I've been hoping for this

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Mr Adam said:

Seriously can us English not mock them until we have beaten the USA? Please :D

We are very very very capable of losing to both the USA and Wales.

England would have to play with blindfolds on to lose to this Wales.

It does take a bit of pressure of the US later though, because they know they've essentially got a playoff for 2nd place even if they lose. GD probably isn't going to come into it.

2 minutes ago, craigcwwe said:

Only group at this WC with all four teams ranked in the top 20. 

Because the rankings are absolutely infallible obviously, and totally represent the strength of each country.

Edited by forameuss

Just now, Astafjevs said:

England would have to play with blindfolds on to lose to this Wales.

It does take a bit of pressure of the US later though, because they know they've essentially got a playoff for 2nd place even if they lose. GD probably isn't going to come into it.

Yeah. I actually expect the USA to come at us a bit. They've got a free hit here

Ashley Williams straight on to blaming Ampadu having to play instead of another 40+ year old in Joe Allen.

Welsh football needs a re-set in terms of focusing on some of the very very very good youth players they have and not lusting after what was a seemingly golden generation that is now greying

6 minutes ago, Astafjevs said:

Is this the worst group in World Cup history? :D

England are quality but these other teams are woeful.

Best argument for keeping Southgate. Frustrating football a lot of the time but luck of the Irish when it comes to cup draws :D 

All this talk of FIFA or UEFA hating us goes out of the window if you look at our draws for qualifying and tournaments.

Just now, Darius1998 said:

They obviously lack a bit of quality but there were some superb performances from Iran there.

Rezaeian was superb at RB, Taremi and Azmoun ran themselves into the ground up front...

If Azmoun was healthy, they actually have a better attacking duo than most teams in the tournament.

I know I'd take them both to start for Croatia.

How are teams on the same points seperated? GD or results between the two?

There is a very plausible scenario still that England draw tonight and then it comes down to Wales just having to beat England if its the latter. If its the former, then they need a pretty large swing as well

I know its a small change. but if we draw with the USA then they need goal difference and that second goal will mean they need to beat us by 3, not by 2. 

Edited by Mr Adam

2 minutes ago, Darius1998 said:

They obviously lack a bit of quality but there were some superb performances from Iran there.

Rezaeian was superb at RB, Taremi and Azmoun ran themselves into the ground up front...

Love Azmoun. Been pretty outspoken against his own government but always gives everything for the national team.

And a pretty good player too.

Edited by Weezer

1 minute ago, GunmaN1905 said:

If Azmoun was healthy, they actually have a better attacking duo than most teams in the tournament.

I know I'd take them both to start for Croatia.

Yeah, easily Asia's best striker partnership. If Azmoun is fit enough for the last game, I think they can get whatever they need against USA.

There is a very plausible scenario still that England draw tonight and then it comes down to Wales just having to beat England if its the latter. If its the former, then they need a pretty large swing as well

GD first then goals scored.

5 minutes ago, VP. said:

Impossible to feel anything for Wales after a performance like that, deserved nothing and got nothing.

Absolutely.

In terms of UK countries, they're a bit of a non entity to me, but it's always delicious to see cowardly sides get punished.

Negative international sides have been getting their way for too long now.

3 minutes ago, Weezer said:

Best argument for keeping Southgate. Frustrating football a lot of the time but luck of the Irish when it comes to cup draws :D 

All this talk of FIFA or UEFA hating us goes out of the window if you look at our draws for qualifying and tournaments.

Which seems to have abandoned the actual Irish. 

:mad:

GD first. Only use h2h if GD and goals scored are equal. Euros it is the other way round.

It's GD. So even if that happens, Wales are going to have to win big, and then hope US-Iran is a draw.

2 minutes ago, ginnybob said:

GD first then goals scored.

Yes so they may really regret that second goal.

I KNOW England are favourites, so this isn't an anti-jinx. But there is a plausible scenario England draw tonight.

And if we draw, it will mean Wales need to beat us by 4 goals, rather than 3.

Both are a long shot but winning by 4 feels impossible.

Edited by Mr Adam

2 minutes ago, craigcwwe said:

I agree there's issues with the rankings but still, point stands. 

Any chance you could not quote me completely butchering the gif?  'sakes :p

I see what you mean, but the whole point is the rankings.  If they're not that accurate - which they're not, especially when comparing confederations that rarely play each other - then the whole point kind of falls down.  It's constantly brought up as some gauge of quality (and granted they don't have much else) when it doesn't really mean much.  Italy are 6th and are deservedly not at the tournament.  Canada are ranked below Scotland, one of which could well still have a decent tournament and one of which are, again, deservedly not there (because we boycotted it and wanted to give Ukraine the place definitely.  Definitely.). It's a weak group.  Wales are lacking and were beaten by a side that completely shat it from England.  Remains to be seen what England do to the US.

Just now, Mr Adam said:

Yes so they may really regret that second goal.

I KNOW England are favourites, so this isn't an anti-jinx. But there is a plausible scenario England draw tonight.

And if we draw, it will mean Wales need to beat us by 4 goals, rather than 3.

Wales aren't beating anyone, let alone the best team in the group, by 4 goals.

It's the US or Iran for 2nd.

6 minutes ago, Weezer said:

We were seeded for 1982 on "security grounds" :D

1 minute ago, Crispypaul said:

Next you'll be saying Belgium aren't the 2nd best side in the world

Belgium have to be the most tedious top-tier nation there is.  Constantly near the top of the rankings while never really doing anything to actually threaten to win tournaments.  No boom and bust, just a constant mid-to-high-level droning.