*Official* Football Manager 2023 Feedback Thread

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't seen a direct free kick goal since the update... What are your observations? I'm into the 7th round in Italian Serie A, and there has been 1 direct free kick goal in 70 games. Prior to the patch I regularly scored direct free kicks, maybe 6-7 times per season (and also was having quite a lot scored against, too), and I haven't changed or sold my takers.

Also, hitting the crossbar every game at least once (but more often 2+ times), seems a bit over the top, sometimes it feels the attacking plays have become so overpowered that the game artificially tones down the goals scored by making a lot of shots hit the bar. This also happens for the AI too - at least on the games I am watching.

I played almost 2 seasons since the update, I like the fact that it’s quite difficult to know who’s going to have the opportunity to score at the start of the highlight. 
However I noticed penalties are almost impossible to score, and there are too many soft passes. Even if I don’t lose the ball, when a midfielder passes the ball to a defender, the opposition’s striker is often close to intercept it. I don’t mind if it happens to players with poor attributes but it shouldn’t happen as often with players comfortable with the ball 

10 hours ago, GOODNAME said:

The same cycle goes over and over again

Now it will be for FM 24

FM 24 beta - good ME

FM 24 1st ME update - bad ME

FM 24 last ME update - average ME with some bugs 

This will continue until people keep pre-ordering the game and until people keep giving them money even when they didn't deserve the full price to be paid for their game.

There are always bugs, there are so many requests people ask for, some even for years, and everything people get is some lame headline features and new bugs, each FM barely look like a new game etc. ( if there were no good people from skinning forum to make the game look different from the last year, SI would just update the shape of "continue" button and every year it would look like you bought the same game ) 

I didn't buy FM23 nor I will buy the next FM game until they bring something different.

In my case, I am waiting for better matchday representation, better graphics and animations, 3D is still ugly, some people are waiting for set-pieces revamp etc but I think everything we will get is what you wrote.

Edited by Marko1989

On 14/03/2023 at 04:56, dunk105 said:

Still enjoying this a lot.

But......the poor AI squad management with rotation (or rather lack of) makes the game far too easy at any level. Even before Christmas I'm running rings around them purely because their players are either knackered or injured.  IMO this really needs a look at.

This has been an issue for over 10 years. 

I have played quite a lot of hours, finally had time. First off I notice that the 'always ignore' option for assistant advice during matches still does nothing, must be three years that has been in game and not working as intended.

Secondly offsides referred to VAR , you know before the decision appears on screen because the celebrating players pump fists in the air if the goal stands and don't if it's disallowed.

I am however loving the game, I think the ME is brilliant this year and I am having a blast.

15 hours ago, Lempicka said:

Have forwards been nerfed in the latest update? AF position was scoring for fun pre-update - now they're just not getting involved.

Not seeing this. On contrary my AFs are bombing away. Suggest you review how your tactics support an AF being successful or consider if it could be a morale issue. Morale has huge impact on whether your team can score or not. Finally i find strikers very much being dependent on being played consistently especially when in form. So i usually play a scoring striker again and again until he starts to hit a bad patch and then i rotate him.

5 hours ago, molsen said:

Not seeing this. On contrary my AFs are bombing away. Suggest you review how your tactics support an AF being successful or consider if it could be a morale issue. Morale has huge impact on whether your team can score or not. Finally i find strikers very much being dependent on being played consistently especially when in form. So i usually play a scoring striker again and again until he starts to hit a bad patch and then i rotate him.

I think you're right regarding morale. One of the forwards in question bagged a hattrick in a EFL Trophy group game and he's now scoring on a regular basis.

So, is there a problem with goalkeepers making more mistakes than usual? I just signed a new goalkeeper recently (I did no play the game in a couple of months) because my old goalkeeper used to make many mistakes, but I am very disappointed with my new player (Andre Onana) because he also makes a lot of mistakes that cost me points and matches. I though I just did a bad signing (which might be indeed, although it wasn't cheap) but I am reading here that people is having problem with goalkeepers as well?

By the way, my forwards are playing extremely good this year without being top class, so definitely I do not see bad forwards performances

Edited by el_manayer

Disappointed to see wingbacks and IF's still going to the byeline and instead of crossing turn and pass backwards.  Forwards and midfielders still lose the ball too easily, just stand there and let the opposition take it.

Work ball into box, hell no just shoot at goal whenever, even if the box is crowded with players.

still winning games but still rubbish to watch at times. 

Edited by jc1

1 hour ago, jc1 said:

Disappointed to see wingbacks and IF's still going to the byeline and instead of crossing turn and pass backwards.  Forwards and midfielders still lose the ball too easily, just stand there and let the opposition take it.

Work ball into box, hell no just shoot at goal whenever, even if the box is crowded with players.

still winning games but still rubbish to watch at times. 

I'm experiencing the opposite to this - my wide players are almost too good at getting past oppo full backs and crossing in. Have scored lots of goals through it - my frustration is actually their inability to cut inside, even when there is space to do so.

2 hours ago, jc1 said:

Work ball into box

amAuKSu.png

This instruction actively DISCOURAGES the wing backs to cross and rather be patient and pass it back... So if you see too few instances of crosses, you should NOT have this instruction on. If you see players force the shot too often, you probably have too high tempo or mentality on. This is me randomly guessing based on your comment, but if you need a 2nd pair of eyes, create a topic in the tactic forums and see if someone can offer some advise to make you see the tactic play out as you want it to.

On 08/03/2023 at 23:44, ajw10 said:

a few more annoyances.

Too many underhit passes from techinical players.

Shots that are off target seem to always go over the bar, not wide.

played a bit more. I don't see how it's improved tbh. Feels like the update has done nothing

1 hour ago, bielsadidnothingwrong said:

We MLS managers deserve much better than this.

I've tried 3 saves in the MLS over the years, abandened them all after a few seasons....same as what you posted (utterly ridiculous fixtures), salaray cap just doesn't keep up (long-standing issue), games not being rescheduled due to international call ups etc...the list goes on, so utterly broken.

Anyone who buys the game for the MLS specifically, certainly deserves better.

Edited by Maviarab

49 minutes ago, alian62 said:

I can't see the issue ?

They paid a transfer fee for him in February only to cut him on the roster deadline day one month later. Spent $1.2M for a player only to let him go because the AI has no idea what the salary cap is until roster submission day. 

edit: and look at the home and away fixtures. Happens every year, some team will go on the road for a whole month. If you’re challenging for a supporters shield, that’ll really dampen your chances as your opponents won’t have the same issue or it doesn’t happen in the middle of the season, for instance. 

Edited by bielsadidnothingwrong

On 14/03/2023 at 19:01, sonnevillejr said:

and there are too many soft passes. Even if I don’t lose the ball, when a midfielder passes the ball to a defender, the opposition’s striker is often close to intercept it. I don’t mind if it happens to players with poor attributes but it shouldn’t happen as often with players comfortable with the ball 

This has stopped me playing the game. Didn't exist pre patch. 

13 hours ago, bielsadidnothingwrong said:

They paid a transfer fee for him in February only to cut him on the roster deadline day one month later. Spent $1.2M for a player only to let him go because the AI has no idea what the salary cap is until roster submission day. 

edit: and look at the home and away fixtures. Happens every year, some team will go on the road for a whole month. If you’re challenging for a supporters shield, that’ll really dampen your chances as your opponents won’t have the same issue or it doesn’t happen in the middle of the season, for instance. 

But isnt that what happens in the USA . Road trips ?

Just now, alian62 said:

But isnt that what happens in the USA . Road trips ?

No league in the US have teams going on the road for an entire month except San Antonio Spurs because of the local rodeo, but that isn't MLS, they aren't on the road for the entire month, and its during the shortest month of the year, February, when MLS isn't playing.

Let's examine some schedules.

My above screenshot is from Columbus Crew, so we'll start there:

image.png.796647573c4e8b67db7ccba19de99021.png

As you can see, in the next month or so, the most time spent on the road is 3 straight...

image.png.2d8955a18fb3dc4c4d9f3af377ad9ab4.png

Further along in the calendar, we still see the same patterns.

I don't think I need to continue, you get the point. Certainly, road games are always a part of sports. But no league would schedule a team an entire month on the road -- no ticket sales for an entire month? -- and it certainly doesn't reflect any sort of reality for the league that teams just end up on the road for a month. 

51 minutes ago, bielsadidnothingwrong said:

It's an officially licensed league that:

- features last season's kits every single edition (paying this year's money for last year's stuff)

- outfielder kits clashing with keeper kits (i.e. dark blue keeper kit and black outfield). Although this is fixable via editor, I don't play with the IGE enabled.  

- an extremely rudimentary AI-understanding of the salary system that causes it to basically yeet million dollar signings onto the waiver wire 

- doesn't have a 2023 start date for a save, like what???

- 2022's season records are literally ignored by the game despite them being in the editor file for some reason (no Bale as a LAFC legend or icon despite him winning LAFC's first MLS cup, LAFC not listed as MLS cup winners in history) 

- St. Louis City aren't in the right conference when you start a save and they enter the league

I still find it really fun to manage in (despite the flaws above). It would be nice if some QOL improvements came to MLS, especially given its place as an officially licensed league. I would venture a guess that if they could figure out a better way for the AI to work the salary system those improvements would apply across the leagues and create more realistic salary structures within clubs, so fixing it wouldn't only benefit MLS. 

You havent even mentioned the broken youth teams that arent able to promote ANY players to the first team or reserves

1 minute ago, Platinum said:

You havent even mentioned the broken youth teams that arent able to promote ANY players to the first team or reserves

ugh I didn't even know this. 

SI... you officially license this league and just left it to rot. Please please please take a look at improving this league for us. I know you Brits look down on MLS but come on! 

17 hours ago, Maviarab said:

I've tried 3 saves in the MLS over the years, abandened them all after a few seasons....same as what you posted (utterly ridiculous fixtures), salaray cap just doesn't keep up (long-standing issue), games not being rescheduled due to international call ups etc...the list goes on, so utterly broken.

can say the same for the Scottish leagues also

10 hours ago, bielsadidnothingwrong said:

No league in the US have teams going on the road for an entire month except San Antonio Spurs because of the local rodeo, but that isn't MLS, they aren't on the road for the entire month, and its during the shortest month of the year, February, when MLS isn't playing.

Let's examine some schedules.

My above screenshot is from Columbus Crew, so we'll start there:

image.png.796647573c4e8b67db7ccba19de99021.png

As you can see, in the next month or so, the most time spent on the road is 3 straight...

image.png.2d8955a18fb3dc4c4d9f3af377ad9ab4.png

Further along in the calendar, we still see the same patterns.

I don't think I need to continue, you get the point. Certainly, road games are always a part of sports. But no league would schedule a team an entire month on the road -- no ticket sales for an entire month? -- and it certainly doesn't reflect any sort of reality for the league that teams just end up on the road for a month. 

True.  The fixture schedules need fixing in all pre-editor games too . 

15 hours ago, bielsadidnothingwrong said:

ugh I didn't even know this. 

SI... you officially license this league and just left it to rot. Please please please take a look at improving this league for us. I know you Brits look down on MLS but come on! 

no idea how a licenced league can pass through this.. feel sorry. 

Can't believe I actually miss the "it's your tactic bro". Back in my day you went back to the drawing board after a bad spell, or take the sack. Now it's always the ME's fault

3 hours ago, Domoboy23 said:

Is there an excessive amount of shots per game?

There can be. I do think it's something that changed in the FM23 match engine - in previous versions I played almost every match on 'positive' mentality but this year it soon became obvious that my sides were generating too many poor shots on goal. So this year I've played almost every game on 'balanced', and even then it seemed we were too attacking. So I've started adding 'shoot less often' to the worst culprits. B2B and other midfielders are the worst offenders.

I used to have a rule of thumb for a successful game: about 10-15 shots on goal; 7-10 shots on target; 1-3 goals per game. Actually, that's still my rule - it just seems like it's harder to achieve this year. FM23 seems to generate upwards of 15 shots on goal but only 3-5 of those on target. It's one of the obvious 'red flags' in most ME complaints now: I had 30 shots on goal but lost 0-1, How is that possible???? Well, because you're generating a lot of really poor chances, duh! And it seems to be inherent in the ME - I've seen the same in saves with Darlington and Man Utd, so I don't think it's related to player-quality or level of football.

My conclusion? It's easy to generate a lot of poor chances; we need to work at creating fewer, better-quality chances.

vor 12 Stunden schrieb Domoboy23:

Is there an excessive amount of shots per game?

I don't know, if there are too many shots in general, but for sure there are too less on target!

If you watch the game on highlights (normaly I watch the full match) there are less highlights than before the update in my games. 

I'm managing a mid-class team and my team has realy problems with creating shots from inside the box. Good players are showing skills and are able to create something. But I'm not able to compensate or help my "average" players with a good tactic.

It is realy a challenge, what I like somehow. But all in all it seems that after the update in my opinion not enough goals are scored.

The top players/strikers of the leagues have scored around 15 goals in 22 Matches so far.

Is there someone who actually could win the champions league? I am in year 2037 with Borussia Dortmund. And no matter what i try, i can not win the champions league. I would consider myself as an experienced player. But i am not enjoying the game anymore.

В 17.03.2023 в 15:30, Crispypaul сказал:

congestion.thumb.png.5027acfe93287148e5690bcf7374aa27.png

Bit of fixture congestion here....8 games in 13 days

I had an 11 day break before that first game, you think some of these could have been moved (it was not an international break)

I recently played in Brazil. It was the heaviest calendar of all my saves. I checked the real calendar, FM just ignores the regulations of the Copa Brasil, which leads to catastrophic workloads. By the way, playing in Argentina, you will leave your vacation in early January, and the season will start in March. Two months into the preseason is too brutal, given the heavy schedule. Rest would be much better. In Colombia, the new season is generated 2-3 weeks before Matchday 1, which creates a clownery instead of a pre-season.

Match scheduling has gotten better since FM17, but not even close to perfect

3 hours ago, eren39 said:

Is there someone who actually could win the champions league? I am in year 2037 with Borussia Dortmund. And no matter what i try, i can not win the champions league. I would consider myself as an experienced player. But i am not enjoying the game anymore.

When was the last time dortmund won it in real life 

vor 7 Stunden schrieb Mcfc1894:

When was the last time dortmund won it in real life 

When was the last time Newcastle won it in real life?

image.png.a0c89ef5775699946c49a384315746f5.png

Due to your argumentation, i also should not be able to win the Bundesliga also. Its clear that i don´t want it gifted to me. But i am pretty sure that i have the best team in the world right now. But i just can´t win it no matter what i do. 

image.png.d0c092419d909b29e0a843d7317e87d1.png

I need people here to confirm this with me but there seems to be a gigantic bug with morale. I have two saves going and it happens in both of them.

On one, I just finished the transfer window and there was an international break, a team that went into it on light to good greens, by the time it was over they were all on Yellows, some on orange

On the other save, I had a bad run of form, the day after the game I did a team talk, managed to get them on Yellow and a few light greens. I get to the next game and they are all on DARK ORANGE....

Was playing through that 2nd one again and it happened AGAIN. Was able to string a good run of games together, even beating my biggest rivals, the boys are hyped, all on high greens... Int break comes around and now all my players are on yellow or oranges. If this is a bug it can't wait until FM24, it is game breaking, makes it impossible to string a run of games together and better teams will always have an irrealistic advantage

Now, if it's a "feature" to more "realistically simulate International break slants".... I'm at a loss for words just thinking of how stupid that decision would be, genuinely flabbergasted how anyone could think TANKING everyone's morale would be a good idea for realism.

I can't anymore with this game, just when things seem even a bit better and there's an hope of playing a game that actually works, smt game breaking shows up...... I never played a game that hates its players more, either that or it's intent on self destroying

Edited by DB Wit

11 hours ago, ajw10 said:

So many goals seem to come from defensive players dawdling on the ball and getting tackled. Is anyone else experiencing this?

The animation for it is horrible too, not enjoyable to watch

I agree. It’s a concept I get but it’s represented cackhandedly. Sometimes I remind myself that a few years ago this was a text only game and we should forgive the little wobbles in development. Then I also remember that 17 visually was fantastic so what on gods earth have the developers done to go so far backwards! 

On 16/03/2023 at 00:13, Maviarab said:

MLS teams also struggle with squad selection. I've seen an MLS teams spend most of their budget on great players and waiver them after 4 weeks because they can't manage international slots. It can become quite easy to poach all the good talent.

Not entirely sure what’s going on with fatigue since update. I don’t play a gegenpress, quite neutral if anything. But Harry Kane is constantly fatigued and in need of a rest. Feels like (another) clumsy intervention by SI with good intentions but not properly managed. 

Edited by SimonHoddle