*Official* Football Manager 2023 Early Access Beta Feedback Thread

19 minutes ago, Domoboy23 said:

've been un the top 8 all season and with one game remaining finish 9th. The players are ''disappointed in my management failing to reach the club objectives''. First of all, what club objectives? I've met all of them. The fans was a desire.

Then the board want me to attend a meeting due to the fans being bitterly disappointed in my performance (board rating is an B lol). I then get sacked.

:lol:

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Domoboy23 said:

The matches seem to be all full pelt. No patient build up just hoof, chase and score

I'm not going to say it's your tactics but... it might be related to the choices you make in the tactics creator. I'm certainly not seeing what you're seeing - plenty of patient build-up, very few hoof-balls. Try 'balanced' mentality for starters.

20 minutes ago, warlock said:

I'm not going to say it's your tactics but... it might be related to the choices you make in the tactics creator. I'm certainly not seeing what you're seeing - plenty of patient build-up, very few hoof-balls. Try 'balanced' mentality for starters.

Cautious and Defensive mentalities are more than viable this year.

I’m not getting any recommendations via my recruitment focuses - can someone advise where I am going wrong :seagull:

I have the following setup.

Any position from tactic

Transfer & Loan 
Current Ability - 1 star, Potential  Ability - 4 stars

Aged 15-18

Area - any continent

Priority - Ongoing

scout assigned based on knowledge of continent 

10 horas atrás, Tyler42 disse:

I must say I did enjoy Haaland's scoring this season, my tactic does kind of focus on getting the ball to him, but jeez, hehe

2022-11-02 (1).png

15 technique, 16 flair, what are the researchers smoking? If you lower his physicals he'd play as a brazilian virtuoso..

57 minutes ago, Fritz13 said:

I’m not getting any recommendations via my recruitment focuses - can someone advise where I am going wrong :seagull:

I have the following setup.

Any position from tactic

Transfer & Loan 
Current Ability - 1 star, Potential  Ability - 4 stars

Aged 15-18

Area - any continent

Priority - Ongoing

scout assigned based on knowledge of continent 

Be careful that you're not too strict when choosing your criteria. Not sure who you're managing, but to expect a minimum of 4 star 'certain' potential, might be unrealistic. Young players often have, for example, 2-3 star gold stars (so 'certain' potential, in their opinion) with white stars (uncertainty) making up the rest. That's for youngsters you have 100% scouting knowledge on, even in your own club. Those that you don't will be even more uncertain. These players won't show up in your search. It's often better to cast a wider net and filter through players from there.

18 minutes ago, HUNT3R said:

Be careful that you're not too strict when choosing your criteria. Not sure who you're managing, but to expect a minimum of 4 star 'certain' potential, might be unrealistic. Young players often have, for example, 2-3 star gold stars (so 'certain' potential, in their opinion) with white stars (uncertainty) making up the rest. That's for youngsters you have 100% scouting knowledge on, even in your own club. Those that you don't will be even more uncertain. These players won't show up in your search. It's often better to cast a wider net and filter through players from there.

Cheers - so simply lowering the potential should have an impact.

and yes hadn’t considered the white star scenario :brock:

11 hours ago, Domoboy23 said:

Yeah sadly this new supporter gimmick... poorly implemented and a bit of a game breaker.

Gateshead, second season. Apparently the fans have a low influence over the board. The fans ''desire'' reaching the playoffs.

The board?
Mid table finish, We are 9th with a game to go Latter stages of the FA Trophy, We got to the quarter final First round proper of the FA cup. We got to the second round

I've been un the top 8 all season and with one game remaining finish 9th. The players are ''disappointed in my management failing to reach the club objectives''. First of all, what club objectives? I've met all of them. The fans was a desire.

Then the board want me to attend a meeting due to the fans being bitterly disappointed in my performance (board rating is an B lol). I then get sacked.

image.thumb.png.f19d70095d8954ae179085412b0d00ea.pngimage.thumb.png.d13b417941c4abce8e7fc306da98cad9.png

Further to this... how on earth do they expect this to work? (Reported)

I've now taken the Scarborough job. A week before the season changeover date the expectations were mid table from the board, and mid table from the supporters (required)... okay at least it's aligned so the above bug won't be noticeable.

Fast forward a week. Board now expect us to avoid relegation (okay, least it's gone in that direction instead of luring me into a job under false pretences, but shouldn't really of changed) but the supporters REQUIRE me to achieve mid table. So what happens when I finish 17th and avoid relegation making the board delighted but the fans annoyed? Oh yeah, the above no doubt!

Honestly. A feature like this shouldn't of just been dropped into the game with the knock-on's it can have. I feel a better move would've been to have it in as a ''read-only'' if you like which can't affect your job status, so at least you can immerse in how the fans feel etc. But for it to be implemented in a way which has career defining consequences... it needed to be perfect. Which it isn't. There's too many variables. The ambition to have it in is good, but too many variables for such a limited testing/QA time (in terms of numbers).

Edited by Domoboy23

2 hours ago, HUNT3R said:

It would be nice not having to search the forums for this kind of info..

Might save a few bug reports too

18 hours ago, andu1 said:

They don't quite use second it to it's full extent.. Even if they have players that can't fit their pref formation they will use them in other positions instead of using their second pref.

That said, i have just played a game in which an AI manager changed from his starting pref 5-2-1-2 to second 4-3-3 at around 50 min mark. so maybe they are using it during games. Good to know how some AI mechanisms are working though :thup:

That will be because either the AI's attacking or defensive formation was a 4-3-3 also - so they have just changed mentality. The switch to a defensive or attacking formation does seem to be working as intended.

It is the AI's inability to switch to their second formation which is the clear issue.

1 hour ago, Domoboy23 said:

Further to this... how on earth do they expect this to work? (Reported)

I've now taken the Scarborough job. A week before the season changeover date the expectations were mid table from the board, and mid table from the supporters (required)... okay at least it's aligned so the above bug won't be noticeable.

Fast forward a week. Board now expect us to avoid relegation (okay, least it's gone in that direction instead of luring me into a job under false pretences, but shouldn't really of changed) but the supporters REQUIRE me to achieve mid table. So what happens when I finish 17th and avoid relegation making the board delighted but the fans annoyed? Oh yeah, the above no doubt!

Honestly. A feature like this shouldn't of just been dropped into the game with the knock-on's it can have. I feel a better move would've been to have it in as a ''read-only'' if you like which can't affect your job status, so at least you can immerse in how the fans feel etc. But for it to be implemented in a way which has career defining consequences... it needed to be perfect. Which it isn't. There's too many variables. The ambition to have it in is good, but too many variables for such a limited testing/QA time (in terms of numbers).

The issue will be with the board, not the supporters. Raise it as a bug

11 minutes ago, LeoFM said:

Why is it still the case that defending players are seemingly paralyzed after a free kick has been "cleared" and an attacking player brings the ball back into the box? This has been an issue for years...

If you feel that's a good example, report it as a bug 

20 minutes ago, Luke1988 said:

That will be because either the AI's attacking or defensive formation was a 4-3-3 also - so they have just changed mentality. The switch to a defensive or attacking formation does seem to be working as intended.

It is the AI's inability to switch to their second formation which is the clear issue.

Could be, yes. I find it strange that all managers in my league have teams that fit their pref formation. 

Hi all, noticed a couple of things playing the beta today. A few times in my pre-match team talks, I've chosen an option that's had some degree of good effect on almost all my players. I then choose Individual team talk for the one player who looks complacent, give him some encouragement, he changes up to Composed which is good, but as a result, the whole rest of my team lose their good effect from before and go back to Composed as well. Are they actually losing the impact of my well-chosen team talk, or does it just look that way? I'm not 100% certain how much impact this really has in-game anyway, but if it does have an effect then I'm losing it in a way that doesn't seem realistic? 

Just a very minor thing I know but wanted to flag :)

1 hour ago, themadsheep2001 said:

The issue will be with the board, not the supporters. Raise it as a bug

I've reported it. It looks however like the supporter confidence is triggering the board meeting, who then raise the supporter confidence as the reason for the meeting. So not sure if the issue is strictly with the board.

FM2023 is very difficult to win as an away team. Does it make sense to lose to 20th place Nottingham Forest in an away game? Also, in the game as an away team, 10 players vs. 11 players are defeated.

Do you have any plans to modify the performance of the away team?

Edited by zzkeg27

28 minutes ago, Domoboy23 said:

I've reported it. It looks however like the supporter confidence is triggering the board meeting, who then raise the supporter confidence as the reason for the meeting. So not sure if the issue is strictly with the board.

There's been reports of the board being notoriously sensitive. That's the issue. If the board isn't as sensitive it's not going to lead to a board meeting anyway 

32 minutes ago, zzkeg27 said:

FM2023 is very difficult to win as an away team. Does it make sense to lose to 20th place Nottingham Forest in an away game?, they also lose in the game of 10 players vs. 11 players.

Do you have any plans to modify the performance of the away team?

You did see Liverpool lost to 20th place Nottingham Forest in an away game two weekends ago right?

Edited by gibbo11

13 hours ago, warlock said:

13 hours ago, phnompenhandy said:

Cautious and Defensive mentalities are more than viable this year.

Also Tempo. A lot of tactics that might have user higher tempos in the past won't necessarily need them in FM23. 

16 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

There's been reports of the board being notoriously sensitive. That's the issue. If the board isn't as sensitive it's not going to lead to a board meeting anyway 

Thanks. Do we know is it a case of all boards being overly sensitive or just certain ones/random occasions?

11 minutes ago, Pompey1978 said:

26th May 2023 - Struggling Troyes hire Unai Emery with two games to go. 
3rd June 2023 - Relegated Troyes sack Unai Emery after losing those two games. 

Additional fun fact - they were relegated by seven points, meaning he wasn't even responsible for the relegation.

:rolleyes:

Make it stop.....

4 hours ago, Domoboy23 said:

Thanks. Do we know is it a case of all boards being overly sensitive or just certain ones/random occasions?

I believe (though SI will be able to confirm) the issue is the base level of boards seems to be sensitive. But as boards aren't uniform in game, the impact will vary depending on the set patience etc of your club board. 

Advanced forward role was a bit OP from what I remember from previous one or two versions. Before FM youtube celebreties show up did it get better overall. Beta impression by players?  I've already buy the game but it seems engine has its laws despite defensive attributes.

So far I realy enjoyed Beta but something happened during today.

Centre backs behaviour is just insane (only from my team). They don´t react to through balls. Ball is passing them and they don´t run back at all... Another thing that they lose possesion even when playing as central defenders with no play from the back instruction. My centre back lost possesion three times and opposition scored three easy goals, but finished the game with 7.6, GK with 6.1

Also my right back is winning back possesion so easily, creating a lot of counter attack opportunities for me.

From today beta is unplayable to me. It´s a pitty but I just can´t watch so many stupid mistakes and stupid ratings...

Hope I will find strenght to raise these bugs during weekend.

3 hours ago, CoffeeFueledCurmudgeon said:

Well, I've refunded.

I'll see what FM24 offers, but for the first time in 30yrs I'm just not that interested based on the beta.

Lots of 'meh' new features that feel like bloat,  too many outstanding and unresolved issues from FM22, 21, 20.....

See how it looks come the final patch, plenty of other new things out before then.

Perhaps, as you're such a big fan of the game for 30 years, you might like to divulge a little on what's bloat and what issues have failed to be resolved.

For what it's worth, I do agree that some issues remain from previous versions but no one can fix that if you don't say what they are. Give SI some feedback...as that happens to be why it's called a feedback thread and not an 'I'm off and why' thread.

Maybe that way FM24 can be better for you and you can try for another 30 years. Not sure the beta's been like this for 30 years though. :D

My post may sound a little snarky, but I'm just old. It really does help to expand upon reasons that you are not pleased with. Enjoy your other games though, there are some good games out there I fail to get enough time in because of FM.

Edited by anagain

4 minutes ago, Oliver Roland said:

So far I realy enjoyed Beta but something happened during today.

Centre backs behaviour is just insane (only from my team). They don´t react to through balls. Ball is passing them and they don´t run back at all... Another thing that they lose possesion even when playing as central defenders with no play from the back instruction. My centre back lost possesion three times and opposition scored three easy goals, but finished the game with 7.6, GK with 6.1

Also my right back is winning back possesion so easily, creating a lot of counter attack opportunities for me.

From today beta is unplayable to me. It´s a pitty but I just can´t watch so many stupid mistakes and stupid ratings...

Hope I will find strenght to raise these bugs during weekend.

I have had some thoughts on CDs myself. I'm playing at NL South level and seeing a lot of long ball football, though that's not the issue. For quite a few goals I see the CDs totally misjudge the flight of the ball and lose their man, only for him to run in and score a one on one.

I wonder if it's the level I'm at. I'm not sure if it's as big a problem as there was a few FMs ago with defenders.

I do feel for SI after going to the match engine bug forum though. Wading through that will be hell. :eek:

30 minuti fa, KamyKaze ha scritto:

Transfers are really bad.. They need to overhaul the entire module...

City buys a player on July of 2023.

Also on July of 2023:

image.thumb.png.6fc84339d470537fe78fa74fc63a7b6c.png

Player is transfer listed...

Is he not on loan at Verona?

52 minutes ago, KamyKaze said:

Transfers are really bad.. They need to overhaul the entire module...

City buys a player on July of 2023.

Also on July of 2023:

image.thumb.png.6fc84339d470537fe78fa74fc63a7b6c.png

Player is transfer listed...

He was sold to Hellas in 2021 for €7.5m, did he have a buyback clause? If it was low enough (e.g. €30m when his market value was close to that) then Man City might have triggered it to sell him at a higher price

I love the new cup draw layout, could be better if you could see more teams left in the draw. feels like there's a good 50% of the screen left doing nothing.

also. it takes them about 30 seconds to draw each fixture. that HAS to be rectified.

Scouting seems broken? 

Left scouting to my backroom staff and I'm not getting many reports back at all. I investigate further and I must have 17 scouts without an assignment and 1 scout doing 10 assignments. 

I'd assume my chief scout in charge or setting up assignments is just poor but even then surely even the worst chief scout would have the sense to send everyone out on at least one assignment? :D

But of course not, no. He's just set up some recruitment focuses in the USA, Portugal, Spain and France and assigned 1 scout to do the lot. 

13 minutes ago, janrzm said:

I've got 5.7hrs recorded on Steam for FM23. I've not started any form of save just played around. For the first time ever I have zero desire to play at all. I had already made my mind up that I wouldn't get into a proper save until after the Christmas update but now I think I'd be genuinely surprised if I even do that.

I'm past the point of being able to refund but I certainly would have, something else I've never felt before despite buying every iteration of this game since 92.   

I'm used to underwhelming releases, bugged betas, historical neglect of certain game elements but I can't put my finger on what's happened this time, i just feel that ignoring this version is the right thing to do. The nature of the game used to leave me thinking that if you missed a release or two you could struggle to get back into it as it's so involved but to be brutally honest I think I could drop out for a decade and still recognise most of it on my return.

You know, I think I've realised that I'm actually more in love with the idea of this game and what it could be than I actually am in the game itself. Sad times.

It may surprise some to know that I've felt the very same way before. I'm a glass half full person when it comes to FM and SI. I think that regardless of features, FM is a stunning game every year. There are many issues and I've had my grumbles here during beta.

Ever consider it's a burnout thing?

I played FM religiously from about 2003 to 2015ish. I do play other games but I played a lot of FM at that time. I got to the point where I had no interest in playing and I missed a year.

It did my enjoyment of FM the world of good and I enjoyed FM22 immensely, though FM22 was some years after the year break. 

Doing anything to excess will cause burnout. 

You're welcome to your opinion of the game. It's your opinion, and you went in to detail. It just sounds an awful lot like how I felt when I missed a year. I still take 3 or 4 weeks off FM, and play other games, throughout the year. I feel better for it and enjoy the time I spend with FM more. 

1 hour ago, janrzm said:

I've got 5.7hrs recorded on Steam for FM23. I've not started any form of save just played around. For the first time ever I have zero desire to play at all. I had already made my mind up that I wouldn't get into a proper save until after the Christmas update but now I think I'd be genuinely surprised if I even do that.

I'm past the point of being able to refund but I certainly would have, something else I've never felt before despite buying every iteration of this game since 92.   

I'm used to underwhelming releases, bugged betas, historical neglect of certain game elements but I can't put my finger on what's happened this time, i just feel that ignoring this version is the right thing to do. The nature of the game used to leave me thinking that if you missed a release or two you could struggle to get back into it as it's so involved but to be brutally honest I think I could drop out for a decade and still recognise most of it on my return.

You know, I think I've realised that I'm actually more in love with the idea of this game and what it could be than I actually am in the game itself. Sad times.

Many people were able to get a refund even after the 2 hours mark, if you want it. How they did it and what they wrote in their ticket was talked earlier in this topic, I dont exactly remember.

3 hours ago, Davienene said:

Backing you up on this, Not necessarily a bug when everything doesn't go your way, happens IRL too.

You right it does happen in IRL like chairmen refusing your 2million offer only to sell player for 300k to another club next day ,or a player refusing your 2k a week only to sign for a smaller club on £700 a week that happens irl to ? No it dont its broke every year 

12 minutes ago, turgi said:

Quite amazing how every year it returns with issues that had been fixed before.

I want to ask people with more experience of game development. What is the issue in SI’s workflow that enables or increases the risk of this. The fact that even when an issue gets resolved you can’t take it for granted it’s gone for good has troubles me forever.