*Official* Football Manager 2023 Early Access Beta Feedback Thread

6 minutes ago, akkm said:

Actually this is spot on...there's a general issue where players struggle to operate in tight spaces/lack of space/in traffic/when confronted by players close by. Of course in real world football its tricky but not as tricky as in FM and the simulation isn't properly capturing players ability to operate in tighter spaces and in close proximity of players for dribbling/passing/receiving the ball and even for players to select a pass to a player with player/s on him.

Players are very reluctant to dribble into traffic or as you say once closer to people as then it's a turn & pass outside/lay off or generally not try and take on players especially inside and need too much space identified to run into or they won't bother. 

Its similar as I alluded to in tight areas for players to pass into and its especially noticeable sometimes in central areas where this year we see that DMs usage can provide serious blockage to that area so play won't even be attempted there so players will choose to go long or wide too deep and too early in FM to avoid traffic and larger spaces are identified as a higher value/easier pass therefore pass decision making will select this rather than operate TIs/PIs to play through the middle at least as a style...yes it is and should be harder but if players will avoid this the way they do in FM then this a core issue to the engine not allowing it to at least be attempted as a style. It often then gives a sense of a user's team playing on the pitch be disconnected to its tactical inputs.

If my team attempts it and keeps failing I should address that tactically or with personnel...ie signing more creative/technical players who can operate in the tight spaces and move around and find small pockets of space and thread short passes along the ground to create chances and openings directly or in passages of play.

At times it seems idenfication of space in FMs 3D modelling doesn't reflect real world abilities to operate in said tight spaces and too much space is what FM needs to identify as a trigger to pass/move/dribble into. FM may need to re tune this decision making to identify smaller spaces and close proximity of others as being ok/good decision making and not a deterrent to passing/moving/dribbling where currently it can deter all of that too much.

Adding in the welcome introduction this  year of the chaos factor/battling in midfield and pressing factors this means ability for players to operate in tighter spaces should be at a very high level but the dearth of space in the middle has meant play gets directed too wide or too long too quickly and that possession game that requires rich movement and quality pass decision making isn't currently operating as well as it should. I've seen it in previous versions of FM where higher pressing and congestion on central areas knocks out the ability to play through there too much.

A 're calibration' of how 3D space is calculated may be required to allow better play to unfold ie reduce larger identification of space required to operate in...not really sure but this would obviously help to identify how players identify and make good decisions then whether to pass/move/dribble.

Obv not entirely sure but SI will know more. I've seen SI enable better central play/dribbling before in tricky circumstances so all going well they will be able to do this again for FM23...ideally on release as well. It won't be easy but I'm sure providing as many examples of all of this will help them

The space isn't actually 3D, but 2D. I'm pretty sure it was mentioned that players operated as 2D discs on a plane, rather than being 3D entities in the real 3D world. So that could be an issue in itself.

We can definitely observe these things, and report them. But other than that, we don't know why something works like that, and whether its intentional or not. That's something only SI know.

I think there are many underlying issues here, and there are many reasons why something can't be done right now in this current ME.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, david_kax said:

Again... It happens, it doesn't happen enough.

Uploading 1, 2 or 3 videos taking advantage of the few times that happens and saying that there is no problem is cheating because it is easier than uploading the 30 matches that I have seen where it does not happen enough or the dozens of times that I see a dribbler standing scared whitout dribbling in front of his defender in a 1v1 situation.

30011882_IWScutinside2.gif.27456e23fadad4988959964cfbeb6db9.gif

the 2nd half

34 minutes ago, Merigold_ said:

Just one thing I was disappointed about FM23 is that there is no new roles.

Making new tactics with new roles was my favourite game-play. Enganche,Wide playmaker, Wide CB gived me lots of joy.

For example I still want to make player-role like 18-19 frenkie de jong at FM

I think De jong should be a playmaker, So I tested deep lying PM(D), deep lying PM(S), roaming PM

But none of these could play like De jong.

Do you have any plan to add new roles at FM24?

Regista with dribble more is his role. 

16 minutes ago, Aoyao said:

30011882_IWScutinside2.gif.27456e23fadad4988959964cfbeb6db9.gif

the 2nd half

The lack of dribbling is a major problem with the match engine that has been going on since fm22... It can't be said that there are no problems with a few short videos like that. A lot of people are talking about the inside forward dribbling problem.

6 minutes ago, (sic) said:

The space isn't actually 3D, but 2D. I'm pretty sure it was mentioned that players operated as 2D discs on a plane, rather than being 3D entities in the real 3D world. So that could be an issue in itself.

We can definitely observe these things, and report them. But other than that, we don't know why something works like that, and whether its intentional or not. That's something only SI know.

I think there are many underlying issues here, and there are many reasons why something can't be done right now in this current ME.

Agree with you re underlying issues affecting things there

Not sure on 2d/3d...thought everything had changed to 3d but not sure on that one at all

No one is saying that dribbles never happen, the problem is that they happen rarely and players that we would expect to create chances mainly by attempting dribbles and running 1v1s against defenders dont do it as often as we instruct then to.

I rather lose every game with 15 failed dribbles than watching the wide attacking players go to the byline and pass the ball back to the midfield 9 of the 10 times they get the ball over the whole match without any intention to go into the box

37 minutes ago, (sic) said:

No it was mentioned that prior to FM22 it was a 2D  plane and now its 3D

To those who argue about cutting inside and all that. Guys, do you actually watch football nowadays or just highlights or whatnot? Wide players dont take on their man IRL as often as you might suggest; and if they do, they go to the byline more often than not, trying to cross or cut the ball back. Cutting inside equals turnovers these days and happens only in specific environment like counterttack or perfectly permormed 1v1 iso. Expecting your widemen to cut inside, dribble past 3 opponents and score is just silly. Those days are gone, Im sorry.

Edited by tts0

4 minutes ago, akkm said:

Agree with you re underlying issues affecting things there

Not sure on 2d/3d...thought everything had changed to 3d but not sure on that one at all

3 minutes ago, Platinum said:

No it was mentioned that prior to FM22 it was a 2D  plane and now its 3D

Ah so they did indeed change it then. I though there was something about it, just wasn't exactly sure if it's been done already of it was something that they are working on.

1 minute ago, tts0 said:

Expecting your widemen to cut inside, dribble past 3 opponents and score i just silly. Those days are gone, Im sorry.

But nobody's expecting that. I think we've all been pretty clear on what the issue is.

13 minutes ago, Jack Joyce said:

It's a delicate balance, and one we always strive to improve with each iteration of the match engine. People will also have their own expectations/preferences for what is a realistic number of dribbles, or even what a dribble actually is!

But in general, dribbles into the box aren't super common even at the top level in reality: 

The best dribblers in the Premier Division this season still all average less than 2.5 carries into the penalty area per match. That's not many! Especially when you consider that when you're watching on key/extended highlights, you're not seeing all of the attempts in the first place, only ones that lead to a good scoring opportunity.

This is also reflected in the successful dribbles per game stat in general (but providers do vary on the definitions here) e.g. according to FotMob, no player has made more than 4 successful dribbles per 90 in the Premier Division this season. In fact, only 4 players have made more than 3 per 90.

The reality is that nowadays, teams do recycle the ball a lot more from wide areas than they used to, teams have grown more patient over the years as they try to work a better goalscoring opportunity. You don't see many Ronaldinho-esque players in the modern game, it tends to be coached out of them now at the highest level. That's not to say there isn't improvements that can be made to dribbling in general though, in terms of feints, skills etc. which is absolutely something we want to improve one day. And if you're seeing clear situations where a player should cut inside with the ball, please do report them in the bugs forum so we can continue to tweak/balance throughout the year.

Even so, the current match engine dribbling is odd. In all leagues, the number of successful dribbles of the right fullback is excessively high.

Does it make sense that Kyle Walker is number one in the Premier League dribbling success?

A question for those who are playing 23 so far- have the issues with B teams in FM22 been fixed? I'm talking about the fact players/staff didn't seem to realise they weren't separate clubs so they'd either want contracts as Important Players when they were breakthrough prospects at best or they'd get pissed off if you rejected bids from lesser teams as they saw them as a big step up.

Edited by KingCanary

hace 53 minutos, Jack Joyce dijo:

It's a delicate balance, and one we always strive to improve with each iteration of the match engine. People will also have their own expectations/preferences for what is a realistic number of dribbles, or even what a dribble actually is!

But in general, dribbles into the box aren't super common even at the top level in reality: 

The best dribblers in the Premier Division this season still all average less than 2.5 carries into the penalty area per match. That's not many! Especially when you consider that when you're watching on key/extended highlights, you're not seeing all of the attempts in the first place, only ones that lead to a good scoring opportunity.

This is also reflected in the successful dribbles per game stat in general (but providers do vary on the definitions here) e.g. according to FotMob, no player has made more than 4 successful dribbles per 90 in the Premier Division this season. In fact, only 4 players have made more than 3 per 90.

The reality is that nowadays, teams do recycle the ball a lot more from wide areas than they used to, teams have grown more patient over the years as they try to work a better goalscoring opportunity. You don't see many Ronaldinho-esque players in the modern game, it tends to be coached out of them now at the highest level. That's not to say there isn't improvements that can be made to dribbling in general though, in terms of feints, skills etc. which is absolutely something we want to improve one day. And if you're seeing clear situations where a player should cut inside with the ball, please do report them in the bugs forum so we can continue to tweak/balance throughout the year.

It is difficult to see dribbles inside the area. But in FM23 and 22, as reported in the Bug Tracker, the problem comes when in 1v1 situations near the box or in counterattacks with space, elite dribblers like Vinicius, Mbappé or Salah stop and look for the pass instead of trying to dribble taking advantage of that 1 vs 1 situation.

I don't want constant unrealistic plays of a player dribbling past 4 or 5 defenders either, but in FM23 dribblers don't take advantage of 1v1 situations to dribble when in reality they try to dribble much more often.

Edited by david_kax

So just to summarize at the moment from the headline features:

- Scouting revamp: lack of recommendations mentioned multiple times in separate threads and bug tracker, multiple youtube content creators saying it is completely broken so they revert to manual scouting. 

- Manager timeline: cluttered with youngster debuts (although this might be good on long term when you actually have memorable moments)

- AI managers incorrect formation usage reported both in bug tracker and here. So "smarter" AI tactical response and squad building (still only CA and world reputation is the main factor) is proven in any way or form? 

- Manager customisation: a never requested feature, horrible implemented and not working to the slightest acceptable level: scarf not scaling to height, watch, ring and earring not even visible after the first creation topped with the UI.

At the end the only positive side of FM23 so far is the match engine? 

Edited by marioNOW

2 hours ago, Tyburn said:

Perhaps “knocks ball past opponent” has more weight? Player’s also need space. Not everyone is Messi…

I had such a strange save in FM22 in regards of this trait. It felt like it was everywhere .. CDs had it, CMs. Everyone and everywhere. It was like a plague. And I couldn't get one player unlearn it.

I think it was executed poorly as it shouldn't be a must use. It would have been better if it was more of an " if you have this trait, you can use it if you want to".

I don't want to see my CD knocking the ball forward every time he has the ball and lose it to the first opponent in front.

Eh.. anyway. 

1 minute ago, BuzzR said:

I had such a strange save in FM22 in regards of this trait. It felt like it was everywhere .. CDs had it, CMs. Everyone and everywhere. It was like a plague. And I couldn't get one player unlearn it.

I think it was executed poorly as it shouldn't be a must use. It would have been better if it was more of an " if you have this trait, you can use it if you want to".

I don't want to see my CD knocking the ball forward every time he has the ball and lose it to the first opponent in front.

Eh.. anyway. 

My assistant in FM22 recommended I train it for pretty much every single player. Couldn't get through a single staff meeting without him saying "I just thought you should know you forgot to train Wing-back #1 to have Knocks Ball Past Opponent. I'll remind you to do it again in one month. In the meantime, have you considered training Winger #3, Mezzala #2 and Striker #1 to have the trait Knocks Ball Past Opponent?"

Especially irritating for when you're trying to play with a patient possession tactic and the Assman seemingly doesn't recognise that

5 minutes ago, autohoratio said:

My assistant in FM22 recommended I train it for pretty much every single player. Couldn't get through a single staff meeting without him saying "I just thought you should know you forgot to train Wing-back #1 to have Knocks Ball Past Opponent. I'll remind you to do it again in one month. In the meantime, have you considered training Winger #3, Mezzala #2 and Striker #1 to have the trait Knocks Ball Past Opponent?"

Especially irritating for when you're trying to play with a patient possession tactic and the Assman seemingly doesn't recognise that

Its come to a point where SI need to stop using our imaginations as ‘mis-givings’ and actually do what they promise. Miles, I love you and your crew, but I feel a Alex Ferguson mentality… ‘Us’ against ‘Them’.

Can we agree, FM needs to come out as an update every year, half a price or even free. Why are we paying full whack for ‘patches!’

1 hour ago, greenz81 said:

Why are we paying full whack for ‘patches!’

In all fairness, you don't have to, there's normally a free demo come release, so there's always that option before parting with your hard earned 

9 minutes ago, Johnny Ace said:

In all fairness, you don't have to, there's normally a free demo come release, so there's always that option before parting with your hard earned 

All do respect… opinions! You don’t have to ‘protect’ SI at every corner! They are a professional company… a lot of these issues a few years old!

1 minute ago, greenz81 said:

All do respect… opinions! You don’t have to ‘protect’ SI at every corner! They are a professional company… a lot of these issues a few years old!

I'm not "protecting SI" just pointing out there's a free try before you buy so you're not paying full whack if you don't want to 

I have clocked up close to 100 hours game time so feel I am now in a position to offer my views on the game so far.

+ The squad planner seems a decent enough addition.
+ I like the new feature at the end of each season when you get the review.  The key timeline.  See below for why this is also bad!
+ The game is as stable as ever.  No crashes to date.
+ The game seems to be harder this year.  I welcome this (had my first sacking of the season already!!!).
+ I love the supporter profile screen.
+ AI *seems* to be improved.

- Some bugs that have been present for numerous years are still there.  I will keep reporting!
- I still hate the press questions.  Pointless extra clicks required to answer so I always decline to speak to the press as a result.
- The Key Timeline at the end of season review needs an overhaul.  Terrific idea but not implemented correctly.  Example:  They mention me signing a backup goalkeeper as a key moment but not winning the Champions League?
- The Squad Planner seems to miss some players off occasionally.  This may be me using the tool incorrectly though.

I am sure I can add to the list as time goes on.

Overall, I feel it is another win by SI and another edition I will play to death.  

Edited by DazRTaylor

3 minutes ago, Johnny Ace said:

I'm not "protecting SI" just pointing out there's a free try before you buy so you're not paying full whack if you don't want to 

You still go to McDonald’s or KFC… you know what to expect… but we still do it! I’m not going to preach to you ‘what did you expect?’ You don’t have to pay for it… it’s better to just let people vent their frustrations. But to ‘side’ with SI, which I know you do… you are enjoying the game. A lot of people are not… I’ve been playing this game since CM2…. It’s the false promises!

1 minute ago, greenz81 said:

You still go to McDonald’s or KFC… you know what to expect… but we still do it! I’m not going to preach to you ‘what did you expect?’ You don’t have to pay for it… it’s better to just let people vent their frustrations. But to ‘side’ with SI, which I know you do… you are enjoying the game. A lot of people are not… I’ve been playing this game since CM2…. It’s the false promises!

Again, to be straight, I have plenty of grumbles with this game. I enjoy it, yes but there's plenty that's bugging me right now, it's fine, it's Alpha, things will improve (hopefully). 

This thread is for feedback, we all like a good vent but the more constructive it is, the better  

I'm a Burger King kind of guy and CM 93/94  :thup:

1 minute ago, Johnny Ace said:

Again, to be straight, I have plenty of grumbles with this game. I enjoy it, yes but there's plenty that's bugging me right now, it's fine, it's Alpha, things will improve (hopefully). 

This thread is for feedback, we all like a good vent but the more constructive it is, the better  

I'm a Burger King kind of guy and CM 93/94  :thup:

It’s been ‘aplha’ and ‘beta’ for me for years! They never fix the match engine like they promise…. This isn’t the only game I’ve beta tested… 

it’s come to a point where hey have to except these are ‘patches’ not brand new games…

im not arguing with you, just want you to stop defending SI. They do a good job, just not a great one! 
dont preach that the engine/game can do this… but they don’t!  (si made a whole feature’ video)

On 28/10/2022 at 17:55, anagain said:

Is anyone else getting lots of tutorials/inductions for every aspect of the game?

I am pretty sure I set my experience to not needing any tutorials.

I can't find a way to turn them off.

Yeah it's annoying 

1 minute ago, anagain said:

Did SI say there'd be less scout reports delivered to our inboxes?

image.png.a1499acb1e4212a8bf9c26041fe8e677.png

I was getting that many last year.

Check the filter on the top right. Usually it's 95% agent offers.

Anyone else having difficulty keeping a clean sheet, specifically conceding late meaningless goals when 3 or 4 nothing up. Seems to keep happening no matter how i react to the opponent. they go from 0.01 xg to .6 usually in the last 10 minutes of a game. Kind of annoying seeing it happen time and time again. 

7 hours ago, david_kax said:

Again... It happens, it doesn't happen enough.

Uploading 1, 2 or 3 videos taking advantage of the few times that happens and saying that there is no problem is cheating because it is easier than uploading the 30 matches that I have seen where it does not happen enough or the dozens of times that I see a dribbler standing scared whitout dribbling in front of his defender in a 1v1 situation.

This

In my topic i posted 6-7 PKM's that shows player A star players just running wide in 1v1 situation instead of cutting inside

I was thinking of doing an MLS save this year when I eventually decide to start a save, never done one. I'm aware of the historical issues with the MLS gameplay. What's the current situation in FM23, is it now viable or not?

1 hour ago, qwertygod said:

Anyone else having difficulty keeping a clean sheet, specifically conceding late meaningless goals when 3 or 4 nothing up. Seems to keep happening no matter how i react to the opponent. they go from 0.01 xg to .6 usually in the last 10 minutes of a game. Kind of annoying seeing it happen time and time again. 

Sounds quite normal . The last throws of a game teams will push for a win . You only have to look at real results of teams scoring at 90 minutes plus . I always find that too . 

33 minutes ago, prot651 said:

Sounds quite normal . The last throws of a game teams will push for a win . You only have to look at real results of teams scoring at 90 minutes plus . I always find that too . 

Yup sounds quite normal teams pushing for a win in the last 10 minutes when 4-0 down.....

Ironically i don't tend to concede many goals late on when drawing or winning by 1 goal.

Edited by qwertygod

16 minutes ago, qwertygod said:

Yup sounds quite normal teams pushing for a win in the last 10 minutes when 4-0 down.....

Ironically i don't tend to concede many goals late on when drawing or winning by 1 goal.

Try dropping your lines & slowing the tempo at that point in your matches. I’m willing to bet you are like me & play gegenpress for the whole match, every match & the last 10 min of the match your players are super tired. If you’re worried about conceding, just take the foot off the gas a bit. Especially if you are 4-0 up. 

Edited by angelo994

6 hours ago, greenz81 said:

Its come to a point where SI need to stop using our imaginations as ‘mis-givings’ and actually do what they promise. Miles, I love you and your crew, but I feel a Alex Ferguson mentality… ‘Us’ against ‘Them’.

Can we agree, FM needs to come out as an update every year, half a price or even free. Why are we paying full whack for ‘patches!’

I just wait for the 40-50% sale (normally after the 3rd patch). I feel that gives me the best of both worlds. Of course, if everybody did that it would not be great for SI!

Edited by Fond Foat
Spelling

On 29/10/2022 at 15:46, Mars_Blackmon said:

While I agree set piece seems like something so small but comparing to American football, as a Eagles fan (some of the most critical fans in America) we can win everything but we won't be satisfied unless we are winning and doing it with a great defense. It's a team culture. Not sure if set pieces should even be a thing though.

This the same Eagles who partied and had open bus parades through the city with scenes of jubilation after Brady put up record offensive stats in the superbowl?

4 hours ago, steviemay17 said:

This the same Eagles who partied and had open bus parades through the city with scenes of jubilation after Brady put up record offensive stats in the superbowl?

2 things can be true. Just like in the OP’s screen shot fans were both devastated and satisfied. Ironically our defense was terrible the following year and the fans ran a Super Bowl winning coach out of town…

11 minutes ago, Mars_Blackmon said:

2 things can be true. Just like in the OP’s screen shot fans were both devastated and satisfied. Ironically our defense was terrible the following year and the fans ran a Super Bowl winning coach out of town…

I'm an Eagles fan and nobody was 'devastated' after the Super Bowl win, what on earth?