Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II passes away. 21st April 1926 - 8th September 2022.

Confused Clarity

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Rafalution said:

This really does just read as 'I've been emotionally manipulated really well today' :D

I did think that as I wrote it, but I'm not really susceptible to that. Honest. :D 

I've always understood that they have a role for their tourism potential. Still think they need to change with the times.

But I don't think Madge was as bad as all that.

Meghan might disagree with me...

I did think it was a well done piece too.

I suppose there was always a part of me that was okay with them, what with having a very royal happy Nan and me growing up in a time when royal street parties were a regular occurance in the summer.

Not trying to convince myself I ain't been duped...:ackter:

15 hours ago, Bigwig said:

When Diana died we were due to play Liverpool away a kid they had quite a few injuries but the game ended up getting suspended out of respect. We lost the rearranged game. 

I was an hour into my journey that day which was a Sunday and heard on radio game had been called off so had to turn back round and head home. No mobile phones like today where could get info instant like today 

15 hours ago, sc91 said:

Good point, are they going to cancel the football?

I've got tickets to anfield.

was going to the game myself. I can’t make the next two home games as I will be working both Saturdays and can’t get time off for champions league games so will be gutted if it is postponed. We will find out later today if it is or not but I thought football would be cancelled even though I don’t think the players would be effected and it should carry on in my opinion 

I must admit I didn’t think I would be that bothered if she passed away or not but got bit watery eyes hearing the news. My mum is 89 so thought of my mum and also people can say the queen had a good life seeing so many countries had money etc but throughout her life she travelled many countries working meaning she couldn’t see her family and family’s new born and children growing up . Prince Philip was he only she would spent time with because of her duties and her dad passed away at an early age 

queen and princess Diane are the only ones that I liked to be honest as they connected and and understood the people 

7 hours ago, Garethjohn79 said:

Hes the Prince of Wales too, his misses is the Princess of Wales.

No he's not, not yet and not automatically. 

He probably will be but it's a discretionary title bestowed on their first born by the reigning monarch. 

10 hours ago, pearcey_90 said:

At what point do they stop and leave things? 10pm news and end it? Or just keep chatting **** and showing Buckingham Palace all the way till the funeral in 10 days time?

I’m guessing until two days after the funeral. Surprised sky sports not looking to put the funeral on ppv with Martin Tyler saying and it’s live 

it’s nice seeing old pics of the queen growing up and her life story etc but by the time hey finish talking about the queen we will know her better than some of our own family 

as I said I don’t mind the queen or princess Diana but not keen on the rest of them but don’t wish any harm to people just because I’m not keen on them 

• Administrators

After an hour watching the news and it being a tribute I have had enough. Was watching BBC News earlier and they had a interviewer outside Bucks Palace at 3am. 

She asked one lad why he had come and he said “Well I was out with work when I heard and put on the news, and I saw YOU.”

At that point I just had to laugh and switch off. 

5 hours ago, Christmas said:

Absolutely insane that BBC sport is just news items about the Queen. 

What a strange little country 

BBC1 with whole day just devoted to news. But news that carries no news other than very old lady dies. It’s frankly insane. Doing my head in already.

10 minutes ago, Lucas said:

After an hour watching the news and it being a tribute I have had enough.

I think this will be most peoples viewpoint, yesterday evening, absolutely fair enough, but this morning we are reduced to watching a JCB putting out fencing at Balmoral. There will be moments that should be shown, Charles will make a statement later for instance, but a five minute update each hour, in the normal programming would be fine. At least they’ve unpinned BBC2 so that has gone back to ‘normal’ shows

1 minute ago, Peterj said:

BBC1 with whole day just devoted to news. But news that carries no news other than very old lady dies. It’s frankly insane. Doing my head in already.

I heard that yesterday and evidently early today is meant to be about tributes to Elizabeth II and today will have more "what happens now" stuff.

23 minutes ago, SouthCoastRed said:

No he's not, not yet and not automatically. 

He probably will be but it's a discretionary title bestowed on their first born by the reigning monarch. 

And while it's probable, it's in a very different time to when Charles was made Prince of Wales.

I can't see us happily accepting an investiture in the same way as went before for Charles.

Just now, SouthCoastRed said:

That’s every day though, don’t need a monarchs death to make that a hammer horror show

True but I tend to restrict my usage.  Now I can't even log on.  Usually sane sensible people reduced to patriotic nonsense

1 minute ago, The_jagster said:

I heard that yesterday and evidently early today is meant to be about tributes to Elizabeth II and today will have more "what happens now" stuff.

At a guess the what happens now is a period where it’s compulsory to be sad and all fun things will be banned. Her son rather than mourn will be required to go all over the shop to deal with scripted ceremonials of faux grief while he deals with his real loss. She is then buried. Then he becomes King.  About right? I am sure I have seen this episode before.

I get it's all a bit frustrating. Having to be exposed to wall to wall coverage. But we knew this would be the case so I kinda prepared for it. It helps I don't really watch tv, nor am I on social media. This forum is basically my only social online activity.

Lets just be grateful we live in a world where we have youtube and netflix etc. Imagine this was 15 years ago, when we just had tv to watch. 

Christ, was reminded my first band when i was stupid young had a song called "I am the Queen".

The lyrics were something really ****ing stupid like:

"I've been trapped in this box for a week

My clothes they are starting to reek

I've reached my sexual peak

I am the Queen."

It's a travesty we never made it.

8 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Almost. He’s already King. 

Yeah. Was more thinking the ceremonial bit where the arch bishop pops a crown on his head while we all clap, cheer and say long love the king (even though he is already sort of long lived)

15 minutes ago, VP. said:

Every ****ing radio station playing the most depressing songs they can think of today. 

I was thinking the same last night at work. I was thinking it would be better play upbeat songs, songs she may have liked and celebrate her life and achiements 

13 minutes ago, VP. said:

Every ****ing radio station playing the most depressing songs they can think of today. 

I don’t think this helps at all, try uplifting the mood, instead of reducing those who care (not us heathens) to tears and pissing everyone else off.

There's gonna be loads of people who have no idea what to do, like radio producers who have some kind of influence over a wide range of people but this has never happened before - probably not high enough up the media food chain that you get a proper briefing and they have to wing it. Country will be a bit lost for a few more days yet 

I think it's all ok, people are gonna do what they need to do

Edited by profii

13 minutes ago, Tony7 said:

I was thinking the same last night at work. I was thinking it would be better play upbeat songs, songs she may have liked and celebrate her life and achiements 

12 minutes ago, SouthCoastRed said:

I don’t think this helps at all, try uplifting the mood, instead of reducing those who care (not us heathens) to tears and pissing everyone else off.

My thoughts exactly, last thing anyone needs is what they're currently doing.

Just switched over to Heart Essex (which is awful enough as it is), but I was pleasantly surprised and felt very reasured to hear both Jamie Theakston and Amanda Holden tell me that they're 'here for us all this morning'. What the actual ****!

Edited by VP.

3 minutes ago, Jisntdaman said:

Meh doesn't bother me. If I wanted some dance anthems I'd go online. The lack of adverts is quite weird though. Must be costing the stations' money

If I wanted to be depressed I'd listen to Smooth FM!

Last 3 songs -

Sam Smith - Stay With Me

Bangles - Eternal Flame

Savage Garden - Truly Madly Deeply

No don't get me wrong I love music and these are all great songs but not when they're played one after the other. 

3 minutes ago, VP. said:

Last 3 songs -

Sam Smith - Stay With Me

Bangles - Eternal Flame

Savage Garden - Truly Madly Deeply

No don't get me wrong I love music and these are all great songs but not when they're played one after the other. 

Followed up with some Coldplay and Keane.

I watched the Man Utd match last night and it was all a bit surreal. Could understand not having adverts but then you had a presenter who literally just started the match for each half and there was no half-time analysis or anything. Would it have been too disrespectful to be discussing a team’s performance in this time of national mourning.

Not sure who was on commentary but it got really annoying when he kept finding ways to mention the Queen every 5mins. At half time he even described it as an understandably subdued performance from Utd.  I didn’t stick around at the full time whistle to see if he blamed the result on the players being too upset to play.