Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II passes away. 21st April 1926 - 8th September 2022.

Confused Clarity

1 minute ago, Celtic_1967 said:

I chosen to say it today because today it is relevant. Why do I need to 'give it a day off', not as if I go round banging on about my anti-monarchy sentiment every day of the week.

Don't get the big deal. An old woman died. That's all she is to me.

I’m an anti Monarchist Republican too and the most positive emotion I have towards them at the best of times is apathy so I’m erring on the ‘if you can’t say anything good, don’t say anything’ side. Just enjoy the day off you’ll get out of it

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All this does feel weird, to me. I'm very conflicted as a Republican by actually feeling sadness.

(Maybe it is because I am not a psycho that wants everything I politically disagree with to be utterly destroyed?)

It is probably the constancy of it all - I'm 42 and remember seeing The Queen on TV as a kid as one of my earliest memories. It might feel like what my Grandparent's generation felt when Churchill died some 20 years after WWII?

2 minutes ago, Celtic_1967 said:

I chosen to say it today because today it is relevant. Why do I need to 'give it a day off', not as if I go round banging on about my anti-monarchy sentiment every day of the week.

Post it on your Twitter.

Post it on your Facebook.

He'll, start a separate thread on this forum where you could have a discussion on the future of the monarchy.

23 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

Don't care about the monarchy at all, but losing family is ****. 

Looks like at least Harry (maybe others as well) didn't get back in time to say a final goodbye, which is really sad however you look at it.

Edited by Coulthard's Jaw

7 minutes ago, Garethjohn79 said:

Might be worth booking a day trip to France or Ireland for a football fix, they won't cancel any

I got me football manager save, trying to get Blackburn to the PL...got a transfer window to do. :D

8 minutes ago, Celtic_1967 said:

As another staunch anti-monarchist this is an odd take. You absolutely do get the big deal, and if you are an anti-monarchist then she's isn't just an old woman, she's the chief representative of the undemocratic and elitist class system that you are against. 

Edited by Rafalution

5 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

Most people here are at best, not fussed about the Monarchy. Most still can see why losing family is utterly ****, and just wouldn't say anything 

This. 

I've got next to nothing for the monarchy given my family background but all of us say the same thing, a woman has died, someone's great nan, nan, mother. To take this time to try and point score over the Internet is just a sign of a weak individual. Weirdly, the more elderly relatives are actually upset.

Don't have anything good to say, don't say it all. 

3 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

Most people here are at best, not fussed about the Monarchy. Most still can see why losing family is utterly ****, and just wouldn't say anything 

Same as anything though isn't it? The one idiot cretin will always stand out over the thousands of normal sane people.

1 minute ago, sc91 said:

This. 

I've got next to nothing for the monarchy given my family background but all of us say the same thing, a woman has died, someone's great nan, nan, mother. To take this time to try and point score over the Internet is just a sign of a weak individual. Weirdly, the more elderly relatives are actually upset.

Yep. I don't care at all about the monarchy, but losing my dad two years ago, and my friend a year ago was brutal and I wouldn't wish that on anyone, and I have nothing but sympathy for anyone going through it. 

8 minutes ago, pearcey_90 said:

At what point do they stop and leave things? 10pm news and end it? Or just keep chatting **** and showing Buckingham Palace all the way till the funeral in 10 days time?

Well they stopped talking about Diana pretty quickly so I reckon this'll pass by the weekend.

1 minute ago, themadsheep2001 said:

Yep. I don't care at all about the monarchy, but losing my dad two years ago, and my friend a year ago was brutal and I wouldn't wish that on anyone. 

Been there, actually feel sympathy for Harry more than most on that. Missed seeing my nan before she died, girlfriend fell critically ill and was in intensive care for a few weeks, when she recovered I decided it was time to travel to across a few hours and go see nan before she died. Just as I got into the city and the bus to hers, my old man called and said she'd kicked the bucket. Felt horrid, still does, my daughter is named after her.

• Administrators

Mentioned before but it's my Nan's funeral tomorrow. She died at 86. So death seems a bit of a theme for me lately.

It's sad in its way if you felt some connection to The Queen (royalist or not), and at the very least it is surreal. Her face on our coins and notes, for most of us knowing no different than Liz as the Queen. That all changes now. Reigns will be much much shorter. It's a fascinating time, and a sad one for the family.

I have been wondering if we might look back on her years in History as the Elizabethan years. I'm fascinated by it all and I'm a republican. 

I love that she hung on enough to see Boris go, and my thoughts go out to her family. It's not nice losing someone, even when it's expected to a degree.

5 minutes ago, Coulthard's Jaw said:

Looks like at least Harry (maybe others as well) didn't get back in time to say a final goodbye, which is really sad however you look at it.

The Royals aren't nearly as emotional or compassionate towards each other as the ''Experts'' on tv are about them it was the general public that got them to even show some sign of caring when Diana died the mother of the Queens Grandchildren. Phillip was known to despise all the fuss and attention.

The outpouring of grief will be from the hordes of morbid onlookers at the Palaces and Royalists commentators looking to pretend how well they knew her.

What the BBC won't tell us is how long they've been ''on-call'' waiting.

8 minutes ago, sc91 said:

This. 

My nan was a huge monarchist. She had photos and commemorative stuff everywhere.

My Mum feels strongly too, as a mark of respect for her Mum.

I'm not a monarchist but in doing my family tree I had gained a lot of respect for family. I am a joker but I'll be subdued as a mark of respect for family losing loved ones.

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, Garethjohn79 said:

What the BBC won't tell us is how long they've been ''on-call'' waiting.

Chances are the news was known this morning, and everything else has been managed to a degree given she is such a public figure. But I'm not sure it matters who knew what when.

4 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Mentioned before but it's my Nan's funeral tomorrow. She died at 86. 

It's sad in its way if you felt some connection to The Queen (royalist or not), and at the very least it is surreal. Her face on our coins and notes, for most of us knowing no different than Liz as the Queen. That all changes now. Reigns will be much much shorter. It's a fascinating time, and a sad one for the family.

I have been wondering if we might look back on her years in History as the Elizabethan years. I'm fascinated by it all and I'm a republican. 

I love that she hung on enough to see Boris go, and my thoughts go out to her family. It's not nice losing someone, even when it's expected to a degree.

My commiserations on losing your nan.

I mentioned family tree stuff. If I could I'd have all my grandparents back now, including the ones I didn't meet.

9 minutes ago, Rob1981 said:

BBC switching to a pre-recorded programme by the looks of it. Lots of black and white photos and the music’s gone a bit Saving Private Ryan.

They will probably play this on a loop interspersed with live news for 24 hours now

4 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Mentioned before but it's my Nan's funeral tomorrow. She died at 86. 

I find the older the person the easier it is due to it not being too unexpected, when they are terminally ill and in pain without piles of drugs it's sometimes even a relief that they aren't suffering anymore.

I think Phillip going last year has conditioned us into knowing what to expect for the next few weeks. the BBC at least will hopefully have learned from the overkill of putting the news on every single channel for a whole weekend, even the staunchest of Royalists were fed up with it after a few days.

Weirdly affected by this although it may well be related to the fact that the wife's Nana was diagnosed with an aggressive form of cancer a few weeks ago and given no more than a few weeks to live. 

The wife has gone up tonight specially not long after the news broke just to see her as she was really struggling too. 

Weird how grief works I guess.