Match 45: Switzerland vs Spain - 5pm (ITV1) live from the Saint Petersburg Stadium !

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, GunmaN1905 said:

Some would call a defensive mistake in critical moments a bottling. :D

Thing is, when small errors like that happen (and they do happen all over the pitch) and they get punished, the state of the error is ramped up. That bounces to a Spanish player and no one mentions it. Especially this one, there was nothing in it.

4 minutes ago, Rob1981 said:

What a surprise, Peter Walton has backed the ref

I mean, literally what is the point of him

At least he offered an opinion, normally he just tells us the ref is going to look at a foul and make a decision.

5 minutes ago, HOORAY HENRIK said:

Phillips tackle on Kroos was worse than that :thdn:

There was way, way, way less force in Phillips' tackle. Though I do think a red is harsh here and think a lot of refs would have given a yellow.

2 minutes ago, VamPook said:

Was kind of reckless. 2 footed. Studs up for 1 of them.

If Moreno's feet were planted would be quite bad

Where do people keep getting the idea that recklessness makes something a red card? Let alone 'kind of' recklessness.

Can see why it's been given. Freuler doesn't even win the ball - Moreno gets there first and plays it against Freuler. And if you're going in like that, you're giving the ref a chance to get his red out.

Not too dissimilar to Phillips the other day. If Phillips misses the ball or is late, he gives the ref a chance to get his red card out. He was first to the ball and so was fine. Always a risk if you go in with studs that you will get sent off, think players need to start getting used to this

The more I watch the replay the more I get why it's a red. That foot is pretty high really. VAR doesn't overturn if it gets given as a yellow, but it's not an absolutely insane decision at all.

2 minutes ago, Pukey said:

Still images are an absolutely awful way of judging football incidents though

This. Just saw an image a split second before the one above and thought it didn't look too bad, then I saw that image above and you can see why the red was given. 

Still images and slowing the video down shouldn't be used when looking at red cards.

1 minute ago, Butts said:

And it still doesn’t look bad there :D

You get that that is one players ankle bent ninety degrees under the leg of another player sliding along the ground with both feet off the floor, right? how is that not dangerous? 

2 minutes ago, craigcwwe said:

Still images and slowing the video down shouldn't be used when looking at red cards.

Actually think this makes the tackle look less worse in slow-mo

At speed, you can see why its dangerous