Join the Football Manager 2019 Public Beta today!

• Administrators

We’d like to take this opportunity to invite you to join the Football Manager 2019 Public Beta. Following the great success of the Pre-Release Beta where we got so much valuable feedback, we wanted to extend the testing process further to allow those who want to the option to opt-in for further testing.

The game code within the public beta will be ahead of the retail version and will contain certain fixes and improvements to the game which will still be in testing. This may be stability fixes, bug fixes, match engine improvements, essentially anything which can be addressed by an update in game.

To raise any issues found with the Public Beta, please do so in our new Public Beta bugs forums which can be found here - https://community.sigames.com/forum/670-public-beta-forum/

It’s entirely opt-in, the only thing to bear in mind is that it will be later code, (say 19.1.2 rather than 19.1.1) so if you save your save game in the public beta, you will only be able to load this same save in the public beta until the retail version is updated.

We would always recommend backing up any save games prior to joining the public beta. Save games can be found in the following location by default:

On PC - C:\Users\[YOUR WINDOWS USERNAME]\Documents\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2019\games
On Mac - /Users/[Your Mac Username]/Documents/Sports Interactive/Football Manager 2019/games

The public-beta version of the game is available via Steam by following the instruction below.

- Open Steam
- Go to 'Football Manager 2019' within your Steam Library
- Right-Click on the game and select 'Properties'
- Select the 'Beta' tab
- Via the 'Select the beta you would like to opt into' dropdown, select 'public beta'
- Click 'Close'

Upon launching the game, the improvements should be active, so please play as normal and remember to raise any issues you come across with us via the Public Beta forum.  

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kudos to SI for this :) I'll definitely be joining.

Could I suggest that you also consider providing at least a limited changelist of any commonly reported issues that have been fixed/adjusted/tweaked, so people could more easily try and check whether they're working as intended or not?

• Administrators
3 minutes ago, Spurs08 said:

Kudos to SI for this :) I'll definitely be joining.

Could I suggest that you also consider providing at least a limited changelist of any commonly reported issues that have been fixed/adjusted/tweaked, so people could more easily try and check whether they're working as intended or not?

Yeah good idea and something we've been discussing - we'll look to do so going forward. For this first one I believe it's solely stability fixes, but when we include specific gameplay fixes and match engines we'll look to provide details. 

• Administrators
1 minute ago, rdbayly said:

Stupid question alert - If I opt in for the public beta, can I park my main save on the full release so that it isn't affected? In other words, Is the public beta a separate self-contained application?

They would be in the same folder, so we recommend users back up their saves before moving across. There's instructions in the first post stating how you can find the file.

Thanks. 

It's a good idea from SI's perspective, I just hope that the people applying don't see it as a way to just preview features and put the work in to actually make this worthwhile.  I guess it's a bit different given presumably you'll have to have already got the game, but still.

@Neil Brock is it anticipated that this thread becomes the official feedback thread for the public beta or will a new thread be set up, itd be nice to discuss some perceived improvements and ME observations as well as log bugs.

Already playing havoc with my brain, like all the text seems clearer as if im wearing glasses... But i bet its the same as before. 

A real dumb question here, but as I get the full-fat game for my birthday every year in December I can't buy it beforehand - I assume the 'Public Beta' is only for those who already bought the full game? Or am I misreading the 'Public' bit and getting excited unnecessarily ?

(I would think it is the latter, this was the week I was going to download the Demo)

Count me in. Am I weird for almost enjoying helping the game evolve as much as playing the endresult ? (Especially when it comes to the ME)

@Neil Brock: great initiative and good to read that you are looking into a better communication regarding fixes or recognised issues.

38 minutes ago, Mensell76 said:

Am I weird for almost enjoying helping the game evolve as much as playing the endresult ?

Not at all. A great way to start doing it (regarding the ME) is posts in the bugs forum, backed up with PKMs and timed examples. You have been doing it, so a :thup: for that so far. Testers often need plenty of examples of a particular issue to be sure they've covered every scenario, so that the coders can tackle an issue properly.

• Administrators
9 hours ago, Snorks said:

A real dumb question here, but as I get the full-fat game for my birthday every year in December I can't buy it beforehand - I assume the 'Public Beta' is only for those who already bought the full game? Or am I misreading the 'Public' bit and getting excited unnecessarily ?

(I would think it is the latter, this was the week I was going to download the Demo)

To clarify, the public-beta it is only available to people who already own the game. 

14 hours ago, Neil Brock said:

For this first one I believe it's solely stability fixes, but when we include specific gameplay fixes and match engines we'll look to provide details. 

Any idea when a new ME version might become available? My hands are itching :D

• Administrators
33 minutes ago, Mensell76 said:

Any idea when a new ME version might become available? My hands are itching :D

Not yet and there's no guarantee we'll definitely release a different match engine update for FM19 - it depends on a number of factors, but if we do of course we'll let people know. 

• Administrators
Just now, jckc221013jamie said:

Iv just opted in

Is their any change log for us to see so we no what has been fixed 

Just stability fixes for the time-being. As said above we'll look to try and produce more detailed changelists going forward depending on what changes. 

16 minutes ago, Neil Brock said:

Not yet and there's no guarantee we'll definitely release a different match engine update for FM19 - it depends on a number of factors, but if we do of course we'll let people know. 

Thanks for the heads up. As far as I am concerned and judging on the growing negative feedback on the ME, I think there should at least be a public beta ME update.

Regarding the rest of the game, I think it is more about putting a dot on the I. Never before have I seen such a balanced FM in terms of stability, performance and user interface (granted,  in the Dark skin, sorry @Miles Jacobson ).

Balance of the ME i.m.o now ties with team mentality too much. A balanced team mentality produces a balanced performance of the ME. Still with too little focus on center play though. Other mentalities result in too much directness.

An interesting and key question would be why in the current ME we can still set different team mentalities while you can now easily create different types of play using the 3 main components in the tactical set up combined with player roles and settings. A balanced team mentality provides the most stable starting point for presetting the various types of football and seeing a sensible ME performance.

I would love to chat off forum about this with SI, even though I fully understand this not to be possible. 

For now I will wait with the new public beta.

This is a really great idea.  First your shift to fixing code as you programmed resulted in a far better launch-day product than I can remember; now you are ensuring that so many fans test your fixes that we can be confident of far fewer bugs and a fully-playable game far earlier than ever before. Top marks SI :applause:

This is such a great move. In Software development the larger sample size that you have to test and go bug hunting is the easier bugs are found and crushed. This also keeps the link between developers and players happy. Jt makes everyone feel they are contributing to having the best game possible. 

here's my initial thoughts after two games with the new ME.

first positives:  ball seems quicker and pitch bigger. there's more space for throughballs, seems harder to play with figh d-line.

crossing issue with fullbacks is much better now, they pass the ball earlier, hold the ball and cross on time.

strikers movement seems improved and it looks they score more easily.

total passing numbers increased, there's a little more going on.

negatives:

passing directness hasn't been fixed. as a resault teams that play direct, fast football underachieve at least on my save. teams like Utd or L'pool have passing rates bellow 70%. connected to this, possession stats look strange.

a winger can still easily achieve 20+ crosses.

wide forward's movement is still too static, mostly they just stay in the box when ball is in final third. 

related to the above final third football also looks static and predictable. there's no tikitaka stuff like on FM17. ball is passed bewteen MCs and fullbacks mostly. Ai role selection in 433 for example definetly doesn't help. two B2B midfielders with DM should be replaced with something more exciting imo. there are so many options for example 433 in defense which turns into 4231 in attack. 

1 minute ago, Mitja said:

here's my initial thoughts after two games with the new ME.

first positives:  ball seems quicker and pitch bigger. there's more space for throughballs, seems harder to play with figh d-line.

crossing issue with fullbacks is much better now, they pass the ball earlier, hold the ball and cross on time.

strikers movement seems improved and it looks they score more easily.

total passing numbers increased, there's a little more going on.

negatives:

passing directness hasn't been fixed. as a resault teams that play direct, fast football underachieve at least on my save. teams like Utd or L'pool have passing rates bellow 70%. connected to this, possession stats look strange.

a winger can still easily achieve 20+ crosses.

wide forward's movement is still too static, mostly they just stay in the box when ball is in final third. 

related to the above final third football also looks static and predictable. there's no tikitaka stuff like on FM17. ball is passed bewteen MCs and fullbacks mostly. Ai role selection in 433 for example definetly doesn't help. two B2B midfielders with DM should be replaced with something more exciting imo. there are so many options for example 433 in defense which turns into 4231 in attack. 

Not sure how you analysed the "new" match engine when it hasn't been tweaked. Neil said a few posts above that this public beta has stability fixes.

56 minutes ago, Armistice said:

Not sure how you analysed the "new" match engine when it hasn't been tweaked. Neil said a few posts above that this public beta has stability fixes.

Precisely if the ME version is me.v.1914 then we are still using the same engine. @Mitja you can check this under the game status.

21 hours ago, Neil Brock said:

The game code within the public beta will be ahead of the retail version and will contain certain fixes and improvements to the game which will still be in testing. This may be stability fixes, bug fixes, match engine improvements, essentially anything which can be addressed by an update in game.

looks like i might have misunderstood something from the above. but i swear i've seen different football. fullbacks don't dwell on ball, i even started scoring some goals. :D

4 hours ago, Neil Brock said:

We just added a further stability fix to the public beta, the version number will still be 19.1.2.

Thanks. 

What is the version number of the public beta? My FM19 just updated itself to 19.1.2, and I've not chosen to participate in any public beta.

• Administrators
1 minute ago, Mikke said:

What is the version number of the public beta? My FM19 just updated itself to 19.1.2, and I've not chosen to participate in any public beta.

Yeah we've also just updated the full version to 19.1.2. Thanks. 

11 hours ago, pauly15 said:

Great idea. Will there be a public changelist?

If there are functional changes to the BETA they will let it know in this topic.

Last time there was no list announced because it were only stability and crash fixes

• Administrators

We've put out an updated Public Beta build, this time taking it up to 19.1.3. Again this is mainly to address some stability issues raised since 19.1.2 was released. Again this is early stages during this process so we're only doing relatively small updates for the time-being. 

19.1.3 Changelist

- Number of stability fixes with the game
- Fixed rare issue where user could get stuck when processing
- Enabled ability to have the FM18 Editor and FM19 Editor open at the same time
- Fixed rare issue where conversation string wasn't available when trying to offer playing improved wages to stay at club

I'm posting all over the place and it's being ignored. Can someone please look into the u19 teams in Iceland. Here's my post. I really just want to know that SI are aware of this issue as it's pretty game breaking.

On 07/11/2018 at 12:53, RocheBag said:

I've raised this as a bug in the league specific section, but other people already had and it's been ignored. Iceland is broken and basically unplayable.

I know Iceland isn't on the top of the priority list, but it's my go to long term save on every version and this is the first year it's been like this.

U19 teams are now shared which is more realistic as this is how it works in real life. However instead of being another squad in the club, it's another club all together with an affiliation. In theory this is fine but it doesn't work in game for several reasons:

- You have no control over your youth players training as they are technically on loan and not at the club

- Because it's a loan, players can reject the loan. There is no way a youth player should ever be able to reject being sent to the u19 team.

- The board often terminates the affiliation leaving you with no youth team at all.

These issues make playing in Iceland incredibly difficult and will result in me having to try to get a refund as my annual Fjarøabyggø save is largely the only reason I play the game.

Really hoping this gets looked at but it's been stated in the Iceland specific thread in the bugs forum several times already with no response.

Cheers.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Administrators
7 hours ago, RocheBag said:

I'm posting all over the place and it's being ignored. Can someone please look into the u19 teams in Iceland. Here's my post. I really just want to know that SI are aware of this issue as it's pretty game breaking.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Would be worth adding to your post in here ideally with all the relevant details and a save - https://community.sigames.com/topic/448268-iceland-official-league-specific-issues/

Archived