Join the Football Manager 2019 Public Beta today!

20 minutes ago, andu1 said:

Seeing that even a minor update like 19.1.3 with just a few changes can break something like multiplayer i can believe that a ME update takes a longer time to develop.

What's happened to multiplayer?

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrators

The issue was in the 19.1.3 we released in the public beta, so personally I'm surprised it wasn't picked up externally by those of you who were running this version. But yeah, we've been made aware and hope to address it as soon as we can. 

16 minutes ago, Neil Brock said:

The issue was in the 19.1.3 we released in the public beta, so personally I'm surprised it wasn't picked up externally by those of you who were running this version. But yeah, we've been made aware and hope to address it as soon as we can. 

Maybe there are nobody with beta updates playing multiplayer ;-)

But all i can think of when reading your response "Your fault, not ours", sad, but first thing that comes to my mind.

22 minutes ago, Neil Brock said:

1. That is assuming two Friends normally playing multiplayer games signed up as public betatesters and continued their online save?

2. There was not a lot of time between public beta and you sprinting live with it

3. Which made it harder for multiplayer games to be tested since as you might know these games do take some organisation between us humans, who on the contrary of you are not on the payroll of SI.

Let's first and foremost leave responsibility where it should be. And please do see everything spotted by us as an added bonus.

I do not play multiplayer games, but gosh the underlying tone of your post actually made my stomach turn.

• Administrators

I was just trying to explain that we had a large number of people (both internally and externally) looking at this build before it was fully released. To think I was actually trying to shift the blame onto the public beta testers :D 

6 minutes ago, Neil Brock said:

I was just trying to explain that we had a large number of people (both internally and externally) looking at this build before it was fully released. To think I was actually trying to shift the blame onto the public beta testers :D 

Looking at this thread overall, I think a lot of people have a misconception that playing the beta means early hands on with the match engine,  when actually more often than not, that's not the case. 

• Administrators

What surprises me most about this is we're trying to share what happened with you people involved in the private beta - basically in the sense of as requested earlier in this thread of keeping people involved. Then almost immediately we have to fend off accusations that we're trying to blame the beta testers? 

What comes from this process is trying to improve communication - this comes both with updates and how certain things are tested and released. We would appreciate a level of understanding when we do discuss and reveal certain aspects about the testing and update process. 

We've actually released 19.1.4 via the public beta branch now to fix this issue related to network games. Thanks. 

4 minutes ago, Neil Brock said:

I'm sure no one think you where, but it sounded like it.:)

Bugs will happen no mather how many testers there are.

34 minutes ago, Neil Brock said:

The internal part was basically lacking in the first post. And the "but yeah we've been made aware of it" comes across indifferently trying to say "by others than you".

27 minutes ago, Neil Brock said:

What surprises me most about this is we're trying to share what happened with you people involved in the private beta - basically in the sense of as requested earlier in this thread of keeping people involved. Then almost immediately we have to fend off accusations that we're trying to blame the beta testers? 

What comes from this process is trying to improve communication - this comes both with updates and how certain things are tested and released. We would appreciate a level of understanding when we do discuss and reveal certain aspects about the testing and update process. 

We've actually released 19.1.4 via the public beta branch now to fix this issue related to network games. Thanks. 

Sorry but No Neil, your initial post does not seem to be about sharing with us what had happened. It simply reads like you wanted to share your amazement in the issue not having been picked up by any of us. Upon reading your own statement a second time can't you really see how we could have interpreted it?  

If in case you are indirectly reffering to me when you are speaking of the request of keeping people involved then unfortunately we in this particular case have a vastly different take on how to keep people involved. My level of understanding grows from actual information "which issues have been identified, which are on the operation table etc, what is approach regarding the ME". Plain and simple more strategic information which helps us along in testing with more sense of purpose. 

Now let bygones be bygones. I am honestly glad you guys sorted the issue related to network games this quickly and hopefully can proceed to go live with it very soon. 

Cheers!

• Administrators
5 minutes ago, Mensell76 said:

It simply reads like you wanted to share your amazement in the issue not having been picked up by any of us. Upon reading your own statement a second time can't you really see how we could have interpreted it?  

I was amazed that it wasn't, absolutely! And I include us (as in our in-house testing team) in that. I'm surprised given the number of people (internal and external people on 19.1.3) that none of us picked it up. I know how many people so far have moved onto the public beta, and between all of us it's not that far shy of 1000. 

1 minute ago, Neil Brock said:

I was amazed that it wasn't, absolutely! And I include us (as in our in-house testing team) in that. I'm surprised given the number of people (internal and external people on 19.1.3) that none of us picked it up. 

I can understand your amazement, it is a nasty unexpected bug.  

The fact that you specifically choose the word "externally" in the initial post is what led me to use Gegenpress (pun intended). I have said enough on this as I am sure you also have better things to do.

59 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

Looking at this thread overall, I think a lot of people have a misconception that playing the beta means early hands on with the match engine,  when actually more often than not, that's not the case. 

There is no misconception at least on my part. I knew what I signed up for and have also stated my priority from the get go. There is serious commitment by people here to see FM19 develop into an extraordinary game and in order to reach that status it more or less is depending on the progress of the ME (sorry for all the SI guys working so hard on many good other elements in the game). 

I do however have the conception that I will have early hands on any new ME, if and when it ever arrives, since that is what the public beta is also for :cool:

Starting to come across like you wont be happy about the help you give until; Miles takes you for a slap up meal and introduces you to the queen for recommendation of Knighthood for services rendered to FM19 Beta... And puts you on the payroll. 

Anybody that posts constructive feedback and detailed bugs is helping the game improve and thats great. But offer the help because you want to and have time to... Not to get recognition/reward/gratititude that may or may not be forthcoming now or in the future. Some of the mods took time out to thank you personally and some of the users too. Im sure most of us agree with and appreciate your feedback in these threads :thup:. Thank you, genuinely, from me too. 

But dont use it as a stick with which to brow beat Neil et al. We get updates when we get them and need to accept the info and updates for what they are.. And if we so please, continue to give feedback and log bugs. 

P. S. Im just as desperate as you seem to be for an ME update (or some note that one is imminent for the public beta). I've all but stopped playing until that point... But i dont think badgering SI for it will speed up the process... So i'm waiting, impatiently but silently, for it... 

Hope you dont take this the wrong way, its not intended to insult you, just a gentle jibe to calm down, chill and keep up the good work :cool:

1 hour ago, westy8chimp said:

Starting to come across like you wont be happy about the help you give until; Miles takes you for a slap up meal and introduces you to the queen for recommendation of Knighthood for services rendered to FM19 Beta... And puts you on the payroll. 

Anybody that posts constructive feedback and detailed bugs is helping the game improve and thats great. But offer the help because you want to and have time to... Not to get recognition/reward/gratititude that may or may not be forthcoming now or in the future. Some of the mods took time out to thank you personally and some of the users too. Im sure most of us agree with and appreciate your feedback in these threads :thup:. Thank you, genuinely, from me too. 

But dont use it as a stick with which to brow beat Neil et al. We get updates when we get them and need to accept the info and updates for what they are.. And if we so please, continue to give feedback and log bugs. 

P. S. Im just as desperate as you seem to be for an ME update (or some note that one is imminent for the public beta). I've all but stopped playing until that point... But i dont think badgering SI for it will speed up the process... So i'm waiting, impatiently but silently, for it... 

Hope you dont take this the wrong way, its not intended to insult you, just a gentle jibe to calm down, chill and keep up the good work :cool:

Not taking it the wrong way at all, your message actually makes me smile and does indeed have a positive effect on me. A sincere thanks.

Rest assured, the given recognition/gratitude was not asked for and was and is greatly appreciated. There is no relation between not getting recognition and my messages towards Neil yesterday evening.

On the direction of communication you and I just have a different take and it indeed is part of making me reassess the way I spend my time. I do not like talking to a wall, which probably does not make me all that special.

To end on a lesser serious note, could Miles actually introduce me to the Queen, or better perhaps just Princess Meghan? :D

4 hours ago, westy8chimp said:

Frustratingly, it does seem to feel that way, especially when you see the reaction Neil got.

Granted that SI have not always been the most forthcoming or friendliest of developers, this year has seen a marked improvement as far as I'm concerned. I think SI names on the forums are remarkably open about shortcomings or current issues in the game; the very existence of the public beta is a huge leap forward; and in general, the frequency of updates more resembles other "games as a service" out there from AAA devs.

In that light, it's kind of disappointing to see people reacting this badly. Especially since the match engine right now, for all its flaws, is probably the best it's ever been. Certainly it's the most I've ever enjoyed watching my club play, and it produces the most interesting variety of goals.

Am 13.11.2018 um 12:33 schrieb Neil Brock:

If we can't create a match engine better than the one currently out there then absolutely. That's always the case for every single fix/improvement across the game for every single update. 

public beta is a very good thing. why not to release a match engine patch (when its done) so people can test , and post their opinions about it in here.  If it's positive reactions . GO LIVE . if negative, patch it back to the latest one:lock: I guess this is what public beta is all about anyways. So i'm kinda excited to see how it will be

21 minutes ago, haffaz77 said:

public beta is a very good thing. why not to release a match engine patch (when its done) so people can test , and post their opinions about it in here.  If it's positive reactions . GO LIVE . if negative, patch it back to the latest one:lock: I guess this is what public beta is all about anyways. So i'm kinda excited to see how it will be

i think database issues and bugs are relatively easy to fix. Match engine tweaking is another story. I assume it needs much testing and tweaking to reach a balanced state. I don't know much about testing, but I heard that when you fix a bug, a couple more pop up.

For now we just have to be patient.

Gerade eben schrieb Vali184:

i think database issues and bugs are relatively easy to fix. Match engine tweaking is another story. I assume it needs much testing and tweaking to reach a balanced state. I don't know much about testing, but I heard that when you fix a bug, a couple more pop up.

For now we just have to be patient.

That is why i think, the more people are testing it , the better chance we have to identify issues . Lets say they release a ME Update ,thinking it's on a balanced state. I'd bet that it would not take longer than an hour or less , and there will be Posts about issues which were not identified in the Internal testing . Idk ... but i think letting Players test it, could help a lot more.

26 minutes ago, Lord Rowell said:

I've joined this.

Just to ask, I assume this will apply to my current save (PSG)? Am I right, or not?

Also, if I happened to start a new save, would this automatically be on public beta, or the standard game?

Once your fm19 updates, it will be on the public beta version. you can start a new save if you want the fixed database issues (see changelist)

12 hours ago, Vali184 said:

Once your fm19 updates, it will be on the public beta version. you can start a new save if you want the fixed database issues (see changelist)

So just to clarify, once I've gone to beta, it should apply to my current save re. the ME? This is what I'm really interested in.

I've just taken a screenshot, is this the public beta version? Can someone clarify? I've not noticed Steam doing any updates but I'm sure I could have missed it.

image.jpeg

1 hour ago, Lord Rowell said:

So just to clarify, once I've gone to beta, it should apply to my current save re. the ME? This is what I'm really interested in.

I've just taken a screenshot, is this the public beta version? Can someone clarify? I've not noticed Steam doing any updates but I'm sure I could have missed it.

image.jpeg

Yes, it will apply, but there hasn't been any changes to the match engine. 

You can see the different versions here https://steamdb.info/app/872790/depots/ 

Right now, the public version is the same as the public beta version. 

On 05/11/2018 at 20:03, Spurs08 said:

Kudos to SI for this :) I'll definitely be joining.

Could I suggest that you also consider providing at least a limited changelist of any commonly reported issues that have been fixed/adjusted/tweaked, so people could more easily try and check whether they're working as intended or not?

Well said, mate

On 13/11/2018 at 21:10, Neil Brock said:

I was amazed that it wasn't, absolutely! And I include us (as in our in-house testing team) in that. I'm surprised given the number of people (internal and external people on 19.1.3) that none of us picked it up. I know how many people so far have moved onto the public beta, and between all of us it's not that far shy of 1000. 

Huge thanks for saying that. We're all volunteers and doing this because we want to make the game better, and out of pure goodwill. I'm sure you and the rest of SI recognise this.

I manage people in my own job, and did so the one before that, for years. I also have managed volunteers for over 10 years. Its really important to acknowledge, in both contexts, immediately, when people have made a contribution. In this context, bug reports, feedback, that kind of thing, because you need to do that to keep the goodwill going if that kind of feedback is going to continue. Doesn't need much. Just a simple, "got it - thanks" or something similar is fine. But when that doesn't happen, people then might feel they are not being appreciated. When that happens, they become disengaged.

Its also really important to keep people informed as to future direction of things. Also, to not react in a defensive manner when people ask critical questions, because that in itself is feedback.

I think having the public beta is great stuff :)

10 hours ago, Lord Rowell said:

Huge thanks for saying that. We're all volunteers and doing this because we want to make the game better, and out of pure goodwill. I'm sure you and the rest of SI recognise this.

I manage people in my own job, and did so the one before that, for years. I also have managed volunteers for over 10 years. Its really important to acknowledge, in both contexts, immediately, when people have made a contribution. In this context, bug reports, feedback, that kind of thing, because you need to do that to keep the goodwill going if that kind of feedback is going to continue. Doesn't need much. Just a simple, "got it - thanks" or something similar is fine. But when that doesn't happen, people then might feel they are not being appreciated. When that happens, they become disengaged.

Its also really important to keep people informed as to future direction of things. Also, to not react in a defensive manner when people ask critical questions, because that in itself is feedback.

I believe you and others are like that, and the reports in the beta forum show that quite some people try to make the game better and report bugs, more than with any other game I believe.

But I think the truth is also that most of those 1000 people just subscribe with a mindset "we get the patches earlier" and just hope that the issues they have are resolved in their game, but don't subscribe to the beta with the nobel idea of "This is a beta, and I'll report bugs when I find them", but on the contrary, they are even mad if a beta patch doesn't work as expected.

• Administrators

We've just released an update to the Public Beta version - again this is a relatively minor update, the details of which are listed below. 

Changelist 19.1.5
- Further general stability fixes
- VAR added for English top flight from second season onwards (requires new game)

As always do raise any issues found within our public beta bugs forum here - https://community.sigames.com/forum/670-public-beta-forum/

Thanks.

15 saat önce, DavyDepuydt1 said:

But I think the truth is also that most of those 1000 people just subscribe with a mindset "we get the patches earlier" and just hope that the issues they have are resolved in their game, but don't subscribe to the beta with the nobel idea of "This is a beta, and I'll report bugs when I find them", but on the contrary, they are even mad if a beta patch doesn't work as expected.

I think I've registered in 2008 this forum I'm at age 40 by now but shouldn't this be more stable for every year release. I know it is simulation but wargaming also simulation and with great abstract on equipment values and historical battle performance.

But yes every week of football is new statistical data and should be more dynamic.  :)

• SI Staff
On 14/11/2018 at 13:49, westy8chimp said:

I think I can arrange 2 out of 3 :)

• SI Staff
On 18/11/2018 at 23:23, Lord Rowell said:

What I can tell you is that the public-beta will go up a few gears in the next week - so for those of you wanting more than just stability fixes, we have something for you. We're just trying to get 19.1.5 out of the door and want to ensure that there are no knock ons.

You've all made an effort to say you want to be involved and help us, it's appreciated. I strongly believe in this way of working. The rough part of that deal is that by making that effort to opt in, you also have to accept that you might sometimes get bugs and issues (stop sniggering, I know what you're thinking!). We

RE : Match engine

We might not come out and say it directly, but we are watching all the feedback and constantly making improvements. I've sat in a match engine meeting where matches were watched on a very big screen, the play was analysed in detail (all we were missing was Gary Neville) and action points to fix were planned for the next week. We dont always get it right, it's a tricky one to balance across leagues and levels. Your time to shine with a new ME is coming.

19 minutes ago, Marc Duffy said:

What I can tell you is that the public-beta will go up a few gears in the next week - so for those of you wanting more than just stability fixes, we have something for you. We're just trying to get 19.1.5 out of the door and want to ensure that there are no knock ons.

You've all made an effort to say you want to be involved and help us, it's appreciated. I strongly believe in this way of working. The rough part of that deal is that by making that effort to opt in, you also have to accept that you might sometimes get bugs and issues (stop sniggering, I know what you're thinking!). We

We might not come out and say it directly, but we are watching all the feedback and constantly making improvements. I've sat in a match engine meeting where matches were watched on a very big screen, the play was analysed in detail (all we were missing was Gary Neville) and action points to fix were planned for the next week. We dont always get it right, it's a tricky one to balance across leagues and levels. Your time to shine with a new ME is coming.

GREAT!!! Thanks Marc!

1 hour ago, Marc Duffy said:

(all we were missing was Gary Neville)

Tell me more about meeting the queen, Prince William... I mean 'marc' ;) and i will come and spout nonsense in the post match analysis for a large fee. I can also supply a scouser

6 hours ago, Marc Duffy said:

good enough for me, keep up the good work .. i really want to keep playing with my save ... but not with the current ME ....am literally .. waiting to keep playing.

9 hours ago, Marc Duffy said:

Thanks for the thoughtful reply Mark it is appreciated. I, and I think others as well, understand that there may be bugs forthcoming as part of the beta testing process and that's fine. In my case, I'm only doing a casual save with PSG and will hold off on a long term save until I feel the development of FM19 is at a stable point. I suspect many others are doing the same thing. We understand the risks.

Appreciate what you said that you're watching all the feedback but I am bouncing this one back to you. I do still think that you just need to acknowledge and engage a little more on some of the bug-report forums. Its not enough to just say "we're reading everything". Not expecting huge conversations or anything like that. Just a simple post saying "seen this" - thanks, or sometimes even just visually noting the post / thread as under review, still under review is fine, but it does need to be done. I have noticed a few more responses in some forums in recent days, hopefully that's a sign to come. :)

Great stuff re. the upcoming improvements to the match engine.

Thanks again.

LR

Has anyone raised any public beta specific bugs? In terms of general play i think its extremely stable. The ME is the same as full release and i feel enough has been raised on that front.

The only thing i thought i saw, which i couldnt then find (so dodnt raise a bug), policemen appeared to grow into trees at a particularly low level club stadium :lol: they were standing on top of the stadium roof, hard to explain and i havent seen it since

On 20/11/2018 at 13:23, Marc Duffy said:

:Bowen::applause::thup::hammer::lock:

Marc Duffy: Bravery-19 :D

En 20/11/2018 a las 8:53, Marc Duffy dijo:

Found and online picture about it and doesn't look that bad as you wrote it...😉

images.jpeg.afa60b64372feabc9c7c86179761af58.jpeg

• Administrators

Before we can put anything out to public beta, the version with the relevant code needs to built internally ready for distribution via Steam. Once that's done we need to conduct a number of checks to make sure it's suitable for release for beta. At the moment as Duffy indicated earlier this week we're in the process of looking at a version to see if it's suitable.

Once we feel it's ready we can put it out - but we never pre-announce (even with the public beta) simply because there's a chance it won't be suitable and we end up leaving people hanging. 

• Administrators

So as promised we've now been able to update the Public Beta to version 19.2.0. The changelist includes but isn't limited to the fixes listed below:

19.2.0 Public Beta Changelist (ME Version 1916)

- Further stability/crash fixes
- Number of general AI transfer tweaks
- Further balancing work on happiness conversations
- Fixed functionality with deleting custom schedules
- UI fix for end of season break on Training > Overview page
- Semi-pro/Amateur youth training schedules corrected
- Training happiness tweaks
- Position training tweaks
- Fixed being unable to attend matches via team’s schedule panel
- Fixed issues with Continue Game Timeout not being responsive enough.
- Number of general UI fixes
- Carabao Cup winner not qualifying for Europe if previous Euro Cup winner was English and outside top 4
- Players spawned in Belgium should have the correct Belgian Homegrown status 
- Premier Division and Championship now have Goal Line Technology in all matches
- Number of fixes related to Romanian league
- Number of competition and rule groups fixes
- General improvements to the match AI
- Fixed match sharpness increasing too quickly during matches
- Number of offside fixes
- Fixes for penalties being given incorrectly
- Made it less likely for players not back in full training to be selected to play
- Fixed some examples of commentary incorrectly describing incidents
- Replays not being shown sometimes in commentary only 
- Fixed camera not always tracking an injured player 

And please don't forget to raise any issues via our Public Beta Bugs Forum. 

Thanks!

Archived