Football Manager 2016 - 16.2.0 Official feedback thread

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Something that really annoys me, and has done for a few versions, has just happened again. Player demands a new contract. You offer them a contract. They're completely unreasonable in contract demands and you can't come to an agreement. Player then moans because they're "unhappy at your failure to offer him a new contract". Err, I did offer you a new contract, but you rejected the wage increase from £22k a week to £95k a week because you wanted over £120k and wouldn't back down.

I had this same situation. My left-back who was on £35k wanted a new deal and, as he'd had a good season, I agreed.

I go to offer contract and he wanted £130k! An almost £100k increase per week and would make him my highest earner by some distance.

He moaned similar to your player and the squad came to me - luckily I told them I was doing what was best for the club (the 'he's being a deluded moron' option wasn't there...) and they sided with me.

Luckily it was the end of the season so I waited until the start of pre-season and went to offer him a new dea again. His demands? £60k!

I agree that players should demand more than they expect knowing they can disrupt the squad if I don't play ball, but to seek a £100k weekly rise is ridiculous. And then to drop your demands by £60k in a month? It needs looking at imo.

The increase isn't an issue IMO, just think back to Stirling rejecting Liverpool's contract offer as the differential was almost identical to your example.

The later reduction to half his previous demands is an issue & one that I hope SI are able to address.

The act of offering a contract is not enough, offering a contract that the player considers acceptable is the important part.

The wording should be changed then. Saying I haven't offered a contract when I have is unreasonable. Should be complaining that we weren't able to come to an agreement.

I agree that the language used in some interactions can be improved but in some cases people also need to take a pause for thought, if a player asks for an better deal & the manager/club does not offer the player what he wants then IMO it's logical that the player will remain unhappy or even become more frustrated & angry.

I agree that the language used in some interactions can be improved but in some cases people also need to take a pause for thought, if a player asks for an better deal & the manager/club does not offer the player what he wants then IMO it's logical that the player will remain unhappy or even become more frustrated & angry.

I usually use the string that says "even if I wanted to the club cannot afford it etc" and even though they are not happy they accept it and the unhappy status disappears.

Little white lies but hey you have to manage the egos!

After ten seasons of FM16, I think crossing is a significant issue, but not quite as a significant as is being made out here. Big parts of the problem seems to be the inability of central defenders to stay with their man as a cross comes in, and the total inability of goalkeepers to come and claim or punch the ball. They just stay on their line and get shelled, over and over again.

It's by far my biggest issue with the ME.

What makes it funnier is it's really, really hard to train the technical attributes of full backs and wing backs in this iteration. I don't know if it's a quirk with how training regimes are set up, but despite every effort and ten years of solid youth development, I've managed to produce about two players who had any technical attributes (besides Tackling) over 13 by their 23rd birthdays. They're all tactical and physical beasts, but they just don't develop, and they complain constantly about having to do individual training on, e.g., Crossing or Dribbling. It's not just my development, either. Worldwide in 2025, I can count the DL/DRs with Crossing >14 on both hands.

I think it is the defending of wide spaces that is an issue, there's some early 'tucking in', that leaves crosses open to be made. Also the back post seems to be a dodgy area.

I've finally started my save and I've noticed this type of goal a lot already, using the league highlights a common goal was a deep (or byline) cross that went through to the back post for a shot in. It is almost as if crosses are weighted heavily to hit that area. I hope if there is a fix that it isn't to bounce the ball on the bar again.

On the plus side, I'm noticing mistakes a lot more now, which is great, especially at lower leagues. It was always difficult to tell if it was down to the player being crap or if it was a genuine issue with tactics or whatnot. I saw a rubbish goal earlier, because the keeper was positioned like an amateur. Which is good, cos he is one! :D

I keep getting a work permit refused for one of my players who I'm trying to sign a new contract because he hasn't played enough for the first team. Yet in 3 seasons he's played 85 games for me and has 51 int caps and is first choice for Egypt playing all games for them, so I'm struggling to see why its not been given.

I keep getting a work permit refused for one of my players who I'm trying to sign a new contract because he hasn't played enough for the first team. Yet in 3 seasons he's played 85 games for me and has 51 int caps and is first choice for Egypt playing all games for them, so I'm struggling to see why its not been given.

Definitely sounds like a bug, worth raising the transfers & contracts section of the bugs forum.

Trying to buy a player on deadline day who is 5 months on the end of contract from Arsenal and Man City offer him €17M. I tried offering him €27M and they wanted €49,5M, in the end i offer a non-negotiable €30M and they reject it so i let it go since Man City offer is much lower they would not accept so i'll just try to sign him as free transfer. But then after clicking continue they accept €17M Man City proposal and he signs. What? They refused a offer that was almost double than the one they accepted???
If you have a save file shortly before deadline day can you raise this in the bugs forum? This behaviour from the AI is very annoying & is the type of bug where SI cannot have too many examples to work with.

Only played one match (as i only found out about the update by chance so had to squeeze in a game before bed) but the ME is very much back to being enjoyable for me personally. Already a clear mix of how chances are created (Rather than just constant crosses as i found previously) and i've already had a nice finish from my striker. Obviously early days in terms of judging but i enjoyed watching that game for the first time in a long time :thup:

Napoli visit the Emirates for a must win game and line up like this:

2016-01-21_00001_zpsebd6yewz.jpg

Anyone seen a more negative AI formation?

Not looking forward to it, hate playing against 3 centre backs.

I find it really hard to break down such a formation. When they defend, they will have like 6-7 people in the box to block your shots. :mad:

Only played one match (as i only found out about the update by chance so had to squeeze in a game before bed) but the ME is very much back to being enjoyable for me personally. Already a clear mix of how chances are created (Rather than just constant crosses as i found previously) and i've already had a nice finish from my striker. Obviously early days in terms of judging but i enjoyed watching that game for the first time in a long time :thup:

What update?

Funny thing, because no ME update has been released.

This explains how much mind games can influence the perception of our own experience.

Funny thing, because no ME update has been released.

This explains how much mind games can influence the perception of our own experience.

haha, no idea why i thought there had been an update. Must have been tiredness. Was only the one game i played (as i pointed out), i've always based my feedback of many games unless stated otherwise. It's not by choice that i've been unable to enjoy the game recently. I doubt any game on any system has matched the hours i have put into fm over the last 10 years

Having just taken Huddersfield to the Premiership via play-offs, thus generating them a truckload of cash to expand the stadium, my contract is up for renewal and my board offer me a 2k p/w pay rise, taking my salary to around 11k p/w. This is around 200% less than what other managers at lower-Premiership clubs are being paid, which is upwards of 30K p/w. Is this a bug? Obviously I'm not bothered about my in-game wages as they're utterly useless, but I did do a double-take when my contract was offered. If I try negotiating for 20K my board pull the plug, yet they're willing to allow me to spend 15k p/w on wages for a reserve goalkeeper.

SI are looking into an issue with user wages, if you have a save shortly before the club offer you a new contract a post in the bugs forum might be welcome.

I'm sure it's been discussed a thousand times before but the players, who don't understand international rules, asking for new contracts after good performances when i'm wage capped with FFP, when we are in a good promotion position and they are risking a squad revolt against their manager gets annoying like every time it happens which is about 100% of the time.

It's normally something that can be dealt with but i have run into situations that ruined team morale over a backup player wanting a raise.

Only started playing this these last few weeks and decided to give my input, it's arguably the worse FM to date, for anyone who sits through every match on extended you'll probably know what I mean. The match engine is the most stupid thing I've ever seen. So many flaws, so many unrealistic movements, shots, runs etc. I watch every single game on extended. I've played four different saves in the last month so everything is fresh to me.

So here I go.

Crosses - It's actually comical, the sheer volume of goals I concede from a cross is mad, of course I concede other types of goals too but I literally only score from crosses, which annoys me even more. I'll play all this neat football leading up to the edge of the area and then inexplicably my player will freeze and pass it wide to a full back who in turn will run to the byline, see an open man in the centre but refuse to cross it. I think about 90% of the goals I've scored in this FM have been via a cross or corner. With the other 10% being crosses that end up lobbing the keeper.

Dwelling on ball - What is this? is this a skill? what is it meant to be? why do players suddenly stop when they're running towards goal and suddenly have a brain freeze. A shot will clearly be on but he won't shoot, what does he do?........... pass it wide to fullback of course.

Cross field defence splitting balls - Don't you dare play against the AI on any sort of attacking mentality because with one pass(even with the worse sides in the league) your defence will be split wide open with just one pass, over and over again. Most of the time your defender will miss the header (even though he has 18 on jumping) if not you can always rely on your fullback to run away from the area he's supposed to be in. Of course none of this stuff goes on against the AI.

Example I had a match with the AI playing 3142 with attacking wide men so naturally I thought I'd use my brain and play with two offensive wide men, in the hope I would benefit from the amazing crossing. I focused down flanks, played wider, direct, passed into open space.......so naturally I was completely dominated and they repeatedly tore me open with crosses and cross field defence splitting passes.

Shooting from stupid angles when a man is open in the box - What is this? again, is there an explanation? this is idiotic on so many levels. I'll have usually a fullback(because for some reason in this FM they attack down the flanks more than wingers regardless of any tactical set up) who will get to the byline or be at a crossing angle with a man open in the box and yet he will not cross, he'll either stop and wait for a defence to attempt to tackle him or he'll shoot wide.

Absolutely myopically stupid defenders - This is by far the worse one, again I only notice it with my defenders not the AI's. The repeated stupidity in defending any sort of cross, shot, run etc. I must have scored about 20 own goals in this FM.

Facing back to goal, running really slowly away from the opposition goal, get tackled and then fall over - Another special addition to this years match engine. Player receives pass and sees no option on so turns around 360 then walks slowly in the other direction.... Of course he's tackled and then the AI launch a defence splitting pass.

Closing down - Why put an option in the game that doesn't work at a well enough level? When I attempt a heavy and high press, why do my players instead jog alongside the opposition, refusing to put any sort of meaningful challenge in?

Finishing/ one on ones - Again, what is this? what is with the ridiculously crap finishing? why are players so horrific in front of goal......unless its from a cross.

This isn't good enough really.

Add to that early goals nearly every time you watch the game on full match mode
Never done that and will never do so, can only imagine the horror. They squeeze in all this crap for extended. god knows what we'd see in full match

Surely the same things happen regardless what speed you view the match in, only difference is in full match you see the whole match (obviously). I watch in extended so it skips bits.

Only started playing this these last few weeks and decided to give my input, it's arguably the worse FM to date, for anyone who sits through every match on extended you'll probably know what I mean. The match engine is the most stupid thing I've ever seen. So many flaws, so many unrealistic movements, shots, runs etc. I watch every single game on extended. I've played four different saves in the last month so everything is fresh to me.

So here I go.

Crosses - It's actually comical, the sheer volume of goals I concede from a cross is mad, of course I concede other types of goals too but I literally only score from crosses, which annoys me even more. I'll play all this neat football leading up to the edge of the area and then inexplicably my player will freeze and pass it wide to a full back who in turn will run to the byline, see an open man in the centre but refuse to cross it. I think about 90% of the goals I've scored in this FM have been via a cross or corner. With the other 10% being crosses that end up lobbing the keeper.

Dwelling on ball - What is this? is this a skill? what is it meant to be? why do players suddenly stop when they're running towards goal and suddenly have a brain freeze. A shot will clearly be on but he won't shoot, what does he do?........... pass it wide to fullback of course.

Cross field defence splitting balls - Don't you dare play against the AI on any sort of attacking mentality because with one pass(even with the worse sides in the league) your defence will be split wide open with just one pass, over and over again. Most of the time your defender will miss the header (even though he has 18 on jumping) if not you can always rely on your fullback to run away from the area he's supposed to be in. Of course none of this stuff goes on against the AI.

Example I had a match with the AI playing 3142 with attacking wide men so naturally I thought I'd use my brain and play with two offensive wide men, in the hope I would benefit from the amazing crossing. I focused down flanks, played wider, direct, passed into open space.......so naturally I was completely dominated and they repeatedly tore me open with crosses and cross field defence splitting passes.

Shooting from stupid angles when a man is open in the box - What is this? again, is there an explanation? this is idiotic on so many levels. I'll have usually a fullback(because for some reason in this FM they attack down the flanks more than wingers regardless of any tactical set up) who will get to the byline or be at a crossing angle with a man open in the box and yet he will not cross, he'll either stop and wait for a defence to attempt to tackle him or he'll shoot wide.

Absolutely myopically stupid defenders - This is by far the worse one, again I only notice it with my defenders not the AI's. The repeated stupidity in defending any sort of cross, shot, run etc. I must have scored about 20 own goals in this FM.

Facing back to goal, running really slowly away from the opposition goal, get tackled and then fall over - Another special addition to this years match engine. Player receives pass and sees no option on so turns around 360 then walks slowly in the other direction.... Of course he's tackled and then the AI launch a defence splitting pass.

Closing down - Why put an option in the game that doesn't work at a well enough level? When I attempt a heavy and high press, why do my players instead jog alongside the opposition, refusing to put any sort of meaningful challenge in?

Finishing/ one on ones - Again, what is this? what is with the ridiculously crap finishing? why are players so horrific in front of goal......unless its from a cross.

This isn't good enough really.

if your only noticing something with your team, and not the AI, like with the goals and the defenders then it is your fault. the match engine cannot distinguish between AI and human

Not sure if this is just my personal opinion, but to me there is a very high number of players in this years game playing for their 2nd nationality, which the seemingly wouldn't do in real life.

For example -

Benik Afobe playing for DR Congo after playing for England U21's

Patrick Bamford and Nathan Redmond for Ireland after playing for England U21's

Jordan Obita for Nigeria

Pedro Obiang for Equitorial Guinea after spain U21s

Jason Puncheon for Jamaica.

As I say, it may just be my opinion but they're not players that seem to be interrested in playing for these 2nd nations in real life with the majority representing their national youth teams. I understand that a lot of players have 2nd nationalities associated, but to me it seems to be getting more and more prevalent as the game develops with players representing these sides.

January 2021. Hugo Lloris is my club captain, on a key player contract and has been first choice for ever despite having quality back up. Monaco bid £15m. I reject it. He's upset that 'I haven't accepted a bid as he feels he'd be a more important member of their squad and develop his career'. We had the same discussion in summer when the same team bid for him, at that time he said give me a pay rise and I'll stay. This time he's said nothing can keep him at the club. Best I could do was convince him to see the season out.

1) He's not going to be any more important than he is for me

2) In the last 3 seasons he's won 3 PL titles, 1 CL, 3 Capital One Cups, 1 FA Cup, 1 World Club Cup. How much more can he develop his career?

BS.

Not sure if this is just my personal opinion, but to me there is a very high number of players in this years game playing for their 2nd nationality, which the seemingly wouldn't do in real life.

For example -

Benik Afobe playing for DR Congo after playing for England U21's

Patrick Bamford and Nathan Redmond for Ireland after playing for England U21's

Jordan Obita for Nigeria

Pedro Obiang for Equitorial Guinea after spain U21s

Jason Puncheon for Jamaica.

As I say, it may just be my opinion but they're not players that seem to be interrested in playing for these 2nd nations in real life with the majority representing their national youth teams. I understand that a lot of players have 2nd nationalities associated, but to me it seems to be getting more and more prevalent as the game develops with players representing these sides.

I did notice it happening earlier in a save - even saw Ziggy Gordon playing for Poland, which was odd to say the least, even if it valid. But it's probably down to your loaded nations. If there aren't enough natural players in the database to fill national teams, but there is enough second nationality players, then they should fill up the squads with those players. It's better than just generating fake grey players as and when. Can see where you're coming from though.

January 2021. Hugo Lloris is my club captain, on a key player contract and has been first choice for ever despite having quality back up. Monaco bid £15m. I reject it. He's upset that 'I haven't accepted a bid as he feels he'd be a more important member of their squad and develop his career'. We had the same discussion in summer when the same team bid for him, at that time he said give me a pay rise and I'll stay. This time he's said nothing can keep him at the club. Best I could do was convince him to see the season out.

1) He's not going to be any more important than he is for me

2) In the last 3 seasons he's won 3 PL titles, 1 CL, 3 Capital One Cups, 1 FA Cup, 1 World Club Cup. How much more can he develop his career?

BS.

Developing a career doesn't just mean winning trophies. He's French, so ever thought he might feel that moving back there to a rich team might be a good career move? Plus if your team is at the top, maybe he wants a new challenge. Maybe he'd want to be the man at Monaco, rather than just one of them at Spurs.

Developing a career doesn't just mean winning trophies. He's French, so ever thought he might feel that moving back there to a rich team might be a good career move? Plus if your team is at the top, maybe he wants a new challenge. Maybe he'd want to be the man at Monaco, rather than just one of them at Spurs.

He's at the top of the game with Spurs. And is Captain. He IS the man. I guarantee Monaco won't top his wages, we are the richest club in the world, so that's not a reason. If he wanted a new challenge there's an option for him to say that. If he was homesick and wanted to go home, there's an option for that. There is no way moving to Monaco is a good career move for him. The only clubs I'd accept as that for him (in my game world) are Barca, Real, Bayern, Juve and maybe PSG. None of those want him. No. It's a team who finished 5th in Ligue 1 and are on course for the same this year. There's no logic in this, so please don't try and make excuses for the game. Interaction is STILL a mess.

EDIT: It should also be noted that his only favoured club is OGC Nice (supporter). Guess who their fiercest rivals are? Yep, Monaco.

Can anyone relate to having too few good GK regens? I'm in 2026 and only found 2 decently rated youngsters in 11 years (both not even reaching 4 stars). With all good real keepers approaching retirement it's going to be a real struggle for them to find replacements.

Okay, enough of this. Edgar raised an issue; it belongs in the bugs forum if he feels that it is bug, but either way, no more sniping and arguing. This is for feedback. It has been given, time to move on.

He's at the top of the game with Spurs. And is Captain. He IS the man. I guarantee Monaco won't top his wages, we are the richest club in the world, so that's not a reason. If he wanted a new challenge there's an option for him to say that. If he was homesick and wanted to go home, there's an option for that. There is no way moving to Monaco is a good career move for him. The only clubs I'd accept as that for him (in my game world) are Barca, Real, Bayern, Juve and maybe PSG. None of those want him. No. It's a team who finished 5th in Ligue 1 and are on course for the same this year. There's no logic in this, so please don't try and make excuses for the game. Interaction is STILL a mess.

EDIT: It should also be noted that his only favoured club is OGC Nice (supporter). Guess who their fiercest rivals are? Yep, Monaco.

Just going to add this in too (It's already in the bugs forum):

The mystery deepens:

On my promises screen it says I've promised him 'the clubs stature in world football will grow'

1) We are the 4th most reputable club in world football (Juve, Barca, Real above us).

2) Monaco are 24th

3) We are the richest club in the world

4) Monaco are 20th

5) We are 2nd in co-efficients

6) Monaco are 17th

7) We are PL champs last 3 years in a row, reigning CL champs, reigning World Club Cup champs.

How much more reputable can we get? How much of a bigger club than Monaco do we need to be?

Can anyone relate to having too few good GK regens? I'm in 2026 and only found 2 decently rated youngsters in 11 years (both not even reaching 4 stars). With all good real keepers approaching retirement it's going to be a real struggle for them to find replacements.

Yeah totally. Quality GK regens are rare as unicorns.

I'm happy with what's coming through in mine, got two of them early enough that I was able to tutor them with Cech, Asamoah came through my own academy.

2016-01-23_00002_zpsdhgfpmeg.jpg

2016-01-23_00001_zps8xl1xye4.jpg

2016-01-23_00003_zpscwy8gyye.jpg

I know thisis pretty much flogging a dead horse but the crossing thing is such a big issue. Keepers take up stupid positions, wide players don't close down crossers and defenders in the box freeze and let attackers jut run straight past them. To top it off it is almost always the same back post cross scored with the feet, rarely with headers.

I would be really happy if the so called (tactical gurus) in here can show us with evidence how different styles of play and tweaks show on the 2D ME.

I enjoy seeing dozens of threads discussing the nitty gritty of every tactical option, With diagrams and theoretical insight, But at the end everyone keeps scoring the same goal over and over again. Regardless of what's their approach.

Where does your tactical stamp as a manager show in the actual footage of the match? A Big man forward or a non-striker system like Roma's shouldn't result in identical sequences like booting the ball up or shooting from the same tight angle. If this is not a distinctive feature of the ME by this time in it's development cycle then we're heading in the wrong direction IMHO.

Feedback thread is for feedback, not for arguing over who is right and wrong. Criticism is welcome both of the ME and other user's viewpoints as long as it remains civil and productive. Eyeroll smileys, name-calling etc. is none of that, so let's stop it please.

I just had a match where I had 7 CCCs and 13 HCs and 1 goal. And somehow the opposing keeper had a 6.6 rating. I really think both defending and finishing need to be improved.

I made a thread in the bug forum regarding keeper ratings in situations like this, and one of the devs agreed it's an issue and said it's being looked at.

I made a thread in the bug forum regarding keeper ratings in situations like this, and one of the devs agreed it's an issue and said it's being looked at.

I do get this feeling that quality chances are a bit too frequent in general (regardless of whether they're classified as CCCs or HCs or not chances at all by the ME) but it's compensated for by the all-over-the-place finishing. So I think both defending and finishing could stand to be tightened up.

Archived