Football Manager 2016 - 16.2.0 Official feedback thread

You'd still have to do that irl, you can shout at a player to pass it short all you like but if he doesn't have an obvious option because of the wider tactical setup he'll likely revert to going long.

In this case I'd say that any potential solution is likely far more complex than the problem.

Oh I agree, but you can also make a case of it not always being a matter of lack of options, and I think a fair amount, if not majority of Joe Public would rather a slightly simpler system that is more responsive. Which may very well be seen as a step back for SI and some users of the game, but finding that balance is hard I guess.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not necessarily a simple system that's needed, I love having all the tactical options currently available, I just want more feedback from the game as to why players aren't always following the instructions given - it could really be any number of reasons and you have to dig really deep to get to the root cause.

It's not necessarily a simple system that's needed, I love having all the tactical options currently available,

Funnily enough, I was thinking that perhaps more tactical instructions would be needed. For example, when I played (as a right-back, very low down the footballing food-chain, but still...) I remember two different managers giving me two very strict instructions. They were: 1) win the ball, hoof it over the head of the opposing left-back for the winger to chase, often accompanied by my gaffer shouting "Down the line!", and 2) win the ball, hold on to it and pass it tidily to our centre-back skipper, who was much more comfortable with the ball at his feet, usually signalled by said skipper shouting "Easy, Dan!" at me. With instruction 1 I had to hoof it, regardless of whether the option was 'on', for fear of the rollocking, and with instruction 2 I was never, ever to hoof it unless under extreme pressure, and the team were aware that I always needed to be provided with a passing option. These are very simple instructions but I wouldn't know how to utilise the tactics well enough on FM to get my FB to only hoof it down the touchline, or only pass it to the nearest player (with CB also given instruction to make himself available to full back). I expect it's certainly possible.

To me though, these extra options could be added to PIs and be no more confusing (for want of a better word) than what we have already. I'd be happier to have more instructions available, that were clearly defined, rather than have to delve very deeply to find out why my FB doesn't just lay the ball off to the BPD who is stood six yards away. I also expect I'm probably in the minority in this. :)

He's on 15k a week which is more than most Championship clubs pay any of their players. He's got a League One reputation, bottom 5 Championship ability but with a low end Prem wage about 5 times as much as he should be being paid. So basically he has no incentive to leave as he knows he's hit the jackpot and nobody would possibly want to take him as he's useless.

The fault with the game if anything is that his reputation is too low for ability, which makes him less attractive as a loan signing than he should be. But really the blame is with whoever signed him for West Ham in real life :p

Flipping Allardyce!!! You are right about the wage. Sandwiched between the relegated Clubs wages and usual Championship Clubs wages. The odd thing is though that under information he states that "he is looking forward to gaining experience by going on loan".

Likewise shorter passing reduces the passing range of a player which can leave what looks like the easy ball on the pitch outside the range of the player on the ball. In effect he doesn't consider it because it doesn't match the instructions you have given him.

If that is really the case, it is a very poor implementation. Short passing shouldn't constrain a player to not pass beyond particular range, it should be to pick the shortest advantageous pass, then the shortest safe pass then look at other options. You should never get the situation where a good medium range pass is overlooked for a hoof up the pitch. Of course, player stats play into that, but if it is happening consistently and not as a 1 in X bad decision then it seems an odd way of doing things.

please, Roykela, what widget do you use?

I will have to get back to you on that one. I have actually forgotten which one it is.

I believe you're talking about the Match Ratings widget?

I'm at work now but i'll get on it as soon as i get home, which will be in about 3 hours.

If anyone knows what widget it is and where it's from don't hesitate to help me out :D

Either way i'll investigate when i get home :thup:

I will have to get back to you on that one. I have actually forgotten which one it is.

I believe you're talking about the Match Ratings widget?

I'm at work now but i'll get on it as soon as i get home, which will be in about 3 hours.

If anyone knows what widget it is and where it's from don't hesitate to help me out :D

Either way i'll investigate when i get home :thup:

Is there an issue getting rid of certain players? In every save I play I just cannot offload Doneil Henry. 23 years old, a Canadian International but I want to move him on. Offer for loan, for transfer, for free, even try and mutually terminate contract and I cannot shift him. So basically stuck with the guy till 2019 when his contract runs out.

Try offering to pay maybe 50% of his wages.

I just can't play and enjoy this game with this patch,i hoping 16.3 will come out in the next two weeks

The Chinese transfer window doesn't shut until the 26th Feb; so don't expect any update before then...

However I am with you, the current ME just isn't enjoyable.

Schedule_%20%20Senior%20Fixtures-3_zps6o29kdjc.png

Surely a premier league game shouldn't even be scheduled on a friday? My next game after Bournemouth is next tuesday. Here's Bournemouth's schedule:

AFC%20Bournemouth_%20Schedule%20Senior%20Squad%20Schedule_zpsccjx5xip.png

Very annoying, I have quite a lot of depth in my squad but still feels like I'll have to field a complete B team against Norwich as I'm chasing third position in the league and can't afford to lose any games.

Schedule_%20%20Senior%20Fixtures-3_zps6o29kdjc.png

Surely a premier league game shouldn't even be scheduled on a friday? My next game after Bournemouth is next tuesday. Here's Bournemouth's schedule:

AFC%20Bournemouth_%20Schedule%20Senior%20Squad%20Schedule_zpsccjx5xip.png

Very annoying, I have quite a lot of depth in my squad but still feels like I'll have to field a complete B team against Norwich as I'm chasing third position in the league and can't afford to lose any games.

Man Utd played Villa on a Friday last August, it can come up in some situations, but they're bringing it in as a regular thing next summer.

Man Utd played Villa on a Friday last August, it can come up in some situations, but they're bringing it in as a regular thing next summer.

Right, I'd completely forgotten about that. First time I've seen a friday fixture in the game though. And did you look at the dates? That's three games in four days, tuesday, thursday, friday.

Right, I'd completely forgotten about that. First time I've seen a friday fixture in the game though. And did you look at the dates? That's three games in four days, tuesday, thursday, friday.

I hadn't looked at the dates, just replying to the Friday bit. That's a bit extreme, in fact I was sure a club couldn't have games in consecutive days by rule(barring friendly cups).

I've had similar runs, I assume you have a hectic schedule due to still being in all the competitions, or going deep in all the finished ones?

I hadn't looked at the dates, just replying to the Friday bit. That's a bit extreme, in fact I was sure a club couldn't have games in consecutive days by rule(barring friendly cups).

I've had similar runs, I assume you have a hectic schedule due to still being in all the competitions, or going deep in all the finished ones?

Yeah, congestion has been pretty extreme. Two games per week every week since late January. League cup final, FA cup semi final (with a 5th round replay in there as well) and Europa semis as you can see. Made it through those three games relatively unscathed, won the league games and drew with Norwich.

Yeah, congestion has been pretty extreme. Two games per week every week since late January. League cup final, FA cup semi final (with a 5th round replay in there as well) and Europa semis as you can see. Made it through those three games relatively unscathed, won the league games and drew with Norwich.

The congestion issue has always been around, and can be worse in certain leagues. I've just been playing in the Northern Irish leagues, and regularly have ten plus games in a month, with four or five games scheduled in a week.

The one thing to note is that the user being able to do something "unrealistic" can often lead to schedules that look the same. In the Premier League, it's very unlikely that a team would be fighting on all fronts that late in the season, particularly in the Europa League. Teams will often sack off the FA Cup, or the League Cup, and will almost certainly do the same in the Europa League, meaning that they don't experience the same congestion.

Fulham are perhaps the closest real life case, in their run to the final in 2009/10. They were out of the League Cup at the first hurdle, and dropped out of the FA Cup in March. They did have eight games in February (so roughly one every three days or so). Seven in March, featuring a pretty regular three day rotation. Similar in April, including having to play Tuesday/Thursday against Everton (at Goodison) and then Hamburg. Had they, like you, gone further in either Cup, it would have been an unbelievable backlog.

Of course, none of them are playing two games in two days - that's just the game trying to fit all the games in so that they don't breach the end date. The database holds valid match days for each competition, which'll probably limit when they can play them too. I get the feeling the Europa League being on a Thursday confuses it further, as you're already shifting normal Saturday fixtures to accomodate.

The congestion issue has always been around, and can be worse in certain leagues. I've just been playing in the Northern Irish leagues, and regularly have ten plus games in a month, with four or five games scheduled in a week.

The one thing to note is that the user being able to do something "unrealistic" can often lead to schedules that look the same. In the Premier League, it's very unlikely that a team would be fighting on all fronts that late in the season, particularly in the Europa League. Teams will often sack off the FA Cup, or the League Cup, and will almost certainly do the same in the Europa League, meaning that they don't experience the same congestion.

Fulham are perhaps the closest real life case, in their run to the final in 2009/10. They were out of the League Cup at the first hurdle, and dropped out of the FA Cup in March. They did have eight games in February (so roughly one every three days or so). Seven in March, featuring a pretty regular three day rotation. Similar in April, including having to play Tuesday/Thursday against Everton (at Goodison) and then Hamburg. Had they, like you, gone further in either Cup, it would have been an unbelievable backlog.

Of course, none of them are playing two games in two days - that's just the game trying to fit all the games in so that they don't breach the end date. The database holds valid match days for each competition, which'll probably limit when they can play them too. I get the feeling the Europa League being on a Thursday confuses it further, as you're already shifting normal Saturday fixtures to accomodate.

Why move the league game to friday though? Why not saturday or sunday? Neither our nor Bournemouth's schedule had anything that conflicted with that. Like I said, our next match was on the following tuesday, so nothing to prevent a sat or sun game, right?

Well, it's not a huge problem as when I play continental football I always aim to build a squad that can comfortably handle two games a week, so I can somehow handle a week like that. I did let a two goal lead slip in that Euro game though, playing with a weakened team, and ended up getting knocked out on away goals so it stings a bit... Especially as I didn't get the third spot in the league either. :lol:

Difficult to say why the fixtures have panned out the way they have from a cropped schedule.

If you have a save shortly before the Friday match is scheduled it is worth posting in the bugs forum, SI can then step the the process to see if a more viable date was available.

Difficult to say why the fixtures have panned out the way they have from a cropped schedule.

If you have a save shortly before the Friday match is scheduled it is worth posting in the bugs forum, SI can then step the the process to see if a more viable date was available.

Unfortunately I don't. Hopefully I'll be playing champions league next season so I won't have to deal with these thursday league issues again. :)

Hey people!

Anyone with an idea about uődate 3.0?

Are SI guys planning it at all for this version, and if so, is it on the way already?

Just asking, since by this time all earlier FM releases got updated to v3.0 before......

It's coming soon, but we don't have a release date.

Hey people!

Are SI guys planning it at all for this version, and if so, is it on its way already?

Just asking, since by this time all earlier FM releases got updated to v3.0 before......

Will be out when it's ready

Last couple of years it's been 28th of Feb give or take a day or two. China and Russia transfer deadline is 25th and 26th Feb.

Hey people!

Are SI guys planning it at all for this version, and if so, is it on its way already?

I think I'm right in saying that the 3rd patch has never been released by this date.

Man Utd 2008/09 made it to the semi-final of FA Cup, won the league cup and lost in the CL final. In addition to that they played (and won) the Club World Championship in January and lost the Super Cup game in autumn. Had they beaten Everton in the FA cup semi they would have had to play every possible fixture that season bar cup replays. It's not unrealistic, it's just rare. The game is simply very poor at this re-scheduling thing. I really don't think the realism excuse works in this instance.

Strange one here, and apologies if this is the wrong place to put this or if it's been posted/resolved elsewhere. I did have a root around on Google and didn't turn up anything useful.

I started a create-a-club game, replacing Portsmouth in League 2 with my own team. Kept most of the same players, made a tweak here and there, and decided to create a couple of youngsters to add to my squad - CA in the high 80s, PA in the 160-170 region. Figured I'd see if I could take my team all the way to the top with these two youngsters firing us all the way.

I started the save, and checked their stats, only to find that they were already world-class players... all the stats I'd added in the creator had been realised in full, as though they'd already hit their PA. I'm a bit confused about this - I thought when you put stats into the creator, you were putting in POTENTIAL ability, rather than current? That's how it's always worked on the full editor. So if I put in a 19 for Dribbling, I would expect that to be the Dribbling score my player could reach if he managed to make it to CA170.

Does it work differently on the create-a-club editor? I've obviously got no interest in starting a League Two save with a striker who already has 19 finishing, 16 pace, 17 first touch, 18 composure and so on...

Strange one here, and apologies if this is the wrong place to put this or if it's been posted/resolved elsewhere. I did have a root around on Google and didn't turn up anything useful.

I started a create-a-club game, replacing Portsmouth in League 2 with my own team. Kept most of the same players, made a tweak here and there, and decided to create a couple of youngsters to add to my squad - CA in the high 80s, PA in the 160-170 region. Figured I'd see if I could take my team all the way to the top with these two youngsters firing us all the way.

I started the save, and checked their stats, only to find that they were already world-class players... all the stats I'd added in the creator had been realised in full, as though they'd already hit their PA. I'm a bit confused about this - I thought when you put stats into the creator, you were putting in POTENTIAL ability, rather than current? That's how it's always worked on the full editor. So if I put in a 19 for Dribbling, I would expect that to be the Dribbling score my player could reach if he managed to make it to CA170.

Does it work differently on the create-a-club editor? I've obviously got no interest in starting a League Two save with a striker who already has 19 finishing, 16 pace, 17 first touch, 18 composure and so on...

The stats you enter in the editor are their current ones.

No individual attribute is limited, every attribute can in theory reach 20.

The stats you enter in the editor are their current ones.

No individual attribute is limited, every attribute can in theory reach 20.

Thanks very much! That makes a lot of sense, now I think about it. The full Data Editor has always been a bit obscure with how it translates the stats you input into the stats in-game, what with CA and PA and all that.

EDIT: so that means that their final stats will be limited only by (1) how I train them, and (2) their PA? That's really cool.

Thanks very much! That makes a lot of sense, now I think about it. The full Data Editor has always been a bit obscure with how it translates the stats you input into the stats in-game, what with CA and PA and all that.

Yes, actual attributes in game can vary from what you enter in the editor if what you enter doesn't match the CA you enter. When you create the game FM will adjust what you entered as attributes to match what you entered as CA.

EDIT: so that means that their final stats will be limited only by (1) how I train them, and (2) their PA? That's really cool.

A few other things as well such as how much they play & what their hidden attributes are but you have the idea.

I havent seen a DFK scored for or against my top EPL club in around 2 1/2 seasons.

Are many people seeing this as it is a concern. As well as a lack of goals direct free kicks I certainly struggle to score from corners. Whilst not the be all and end all set pieces are still a valuable source of goals IRL and you should be able to turn that to your advantage. Look at how many goals Liverpool have conceded from set pieces this season IRL for instance. Ok I guess you could argue that if as in my first post on this issue (which has strangely disappeared) only 7 goals scored by direct free kicks by all teams in an entire Premier League season doesn't really affect anyone too much because it's only one goal by 7 teams. However if my save isn't a stand alone example then something is not right on the set piece conversion front. For years we had "too many goals from corners", now it seems too few and match that with too few goals from direct free kicks it seems that set pieces are fairly redundant.

Why can't staff be rated like the players? I am in search of an Assistant manager and this guy (real person) has a JP of 19 and JA of 18, solid man management and training attributes. So, all around he would do the job pretty damn well. I then came across another candidate that has nearly identical attributes. So, out of curiosity, I wanted to find their CA/PA through pre game editor. The first guy has a rating of a pathetic 80 with a PA of 95. and the 2nd guy had a rating of 130 and PA of 155.

Why can't staff be programed similar to players? For example, in pre game editor, if you put 20 at every attribute for a player, it is going to spit out a rating of like 260+. which of course won't stay once you start the save. But, whenever you change an attribute, it changes the recommended CA. So, all the attributes play a factor in the players CA. But for staff, it seems like it doesn't matter. You'll find a guy with world class staff attributes and he will have a CA of like 80. How is that possible? Why aren't the staff attributes linked to CA like the player attributes are? Also, In the pregame editor, I think the template should follow like the players are. There should be that greyed out recommended CA box that is formulated based on their attributes.

If you take a player in the pre-game editor and lets say their set CA and recommended CA is 80, and then you change his tech/phys/mental attributes and now his recommended CA says 180. But you keep his set CA as the default 80. When you start the save, all of his attributes will adjust to meet that set 80 CA. You would have had to change it from 80 to match the recommended CA in order for the attributes to stay when you start the save. Now, lets say you do it for a staff member...You take a guy in the pre game editor and his CA is 80. You then put 20 at every single one of his staff attributes...and then when you start the game, all of his attributes stay and his CA is still 80. So pretty much on paper he is the greatest staff member in the history of the game based on his attributes but yet has a CA of 80. So, pretty much staff CA/PA means nothing?

Why can't Staff members CA/PA follow the same rules as players?

If a player comes to me saying that he is considering leaving on a free transfer because I'm not letting him go, why isn't there an option to tell him that I'm happy for that to happen, as he's too important to let go, even if I will lose him on a free? At the moment you get to choose between super aggressive (you can rot in the reserves) or super passive (aye, ok, you can go).

Not sure if this is for the feedback thread or wishlist, but why does the game not recognise CL games as 'important'. I have two top class keepers, one I use in the league, one in all cups including the CL. Much like Barca did last season with Ter Stegen and Bravo. Anyway my CL keeper has just received a call up for his national team and the press are criticising his selection because he's not playing for his club at present. He played the night before the squad was announced in a CL game!

This problem is also relevant when it comes to players wanting game time.

Are many people seeing this as it is a concern. As well as a lack of goals direct free kicks I certainly struggle to score from corners. Whilst not the be all and end all set pieces are still a valuable source of goals IRL and you should be able to turn that to your advantage. Look at how many goals Liverpool have conceded from set pieces this season IRL for instance. Ok I guess you could argue that if as in my first post on this issue (which has strangely disappeared) only 7 goals scored by direct free kicks by all teams in an entire Premier League season doesn't really affect anyone too much because it's only one goal by 7 teams. However if my save isn't a stand alone example then something is not right on the set piece conversion front. For years we had "too many goals from corners", now it seems too few and match that with too few goals from direct free kicks it seems that set pieces are fairly redundant.

Over 2.5 seasons in and I haven't seen a single goal from a free kick. 27 games into the season and there's been a grand total of 5 free kicks scored in the Premier League.

I love the fact I have absolutely no idea what this means.

How long have you been playing and you don't understand current ability and potential ability ????

There are times I wonder if you just type things to get a response and you enjoy winding people up, tbh I can't be arsed carrying on with you.

When i interview for a job the person in charge of hiring assumes you are chasing the job based on the questions posed. I find this quite bothersome but its not a major problem. So i guess chat interactions in general.

Of course you're chasing a job when you go for a job interview. Why else would you be there? To exchange soup recipes?

How long have you been playing and you don't understand current ability and potential ability ????

There are times I wonder if you just type things to get a response and you enjoy winding people up, tbh I can't be arsed carrying on with you.

TBH your post didn't really make any sense either as a reply to someone or as a standalone comment.

Perhaps it would be worth you reading it back and then explaining what you meant.

TBH your post didn't really make any sense either as a reply to someone or as a standalone comment.

Perhaps it would be worth you reading it back and then explaining what you meant.

My post was just below a couple of posts where you were trying to explain the difference in CA and PA and the attribute settings, I thought that was plain enough but obviously not.

Archived