Football Manager 2016 - 16.2.0 Official feedback thread

I know i'm a bit late to the party, but was majorly busy with work,

So have just updated mine to the "new" patch 16.2, but as soon a I press continue I get a crash dump, now I read that it could have been caused by a skin, however i'm still using the original SI skin

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I know i'm a bit late to the party, but was majorly busy with work,

So have just updated mine to the "new" patch 16.2, but as soon a I press continue I get a crash dump, now I read that it could have been caused by a skin, however i'm still using the original SI skin

Assuming you're on PC, report your technical issue here: http://community.sigames.com/forumdisplay.php/520-Crashes-Launch-and-Technical-Issues-on-PC

Otherwise, Mac or Linux here: http://community.sigames.com/forumdisplay.php/521-Crashes-Launch-and-Technical-Issues-on-Mac-or-Linux

Well it's not necessarily a bug? Hence why I posted in the feedback thread.

But the point about Scott Brown is that he plays that specific role in real life, and yes he certainly picks up some bookings, but also is (generally) great at operating on that line beyond which a 2nd booking will occur. The issue at present for me is that is seems that both the mentioned players seem incapable of operating on the safe side of that line when given a BWM role. Now maybe I've just been unlucky in my game so far, I have no idea, hence raising the point.

Although equally, there's no way to instruct 'ease off tackles' with BWMs this year? It was greyed out for players with that role, but I'm sure I was able to set that instruction that last year, unless i'm getting confused.

But is the role that Scott Brown plays in real life the role that SI have deemed a BWM to be? Given how opaque the roles are at times, it's going to be very difficult to draw the analogies. If we're just looking at titles, then yeah, he probably is one, but if the way that role is set up in FM is slightly different then you may run into problems.

The tactics forum is probably the place - they might spot something in the setup that is leading to more cards. It might not even be down to Scott Brown - could be that the players around him aren't set up quite right, leading to him charging around and getting into positions he shouldn't be in. I don't know, I'm pretty woeful on the tactical side of things.

Cheers for the stats, wouldn't have known where to find them. And that's pretty much my point yep, that he can consistently play the BWM role in real life (which he does almost exclusively) without being a complete magnet for yellow and red cards. Although other clubs fans like to claim the referees give him special treatment, but that's beside the point :)

Aye, it's the pure Sellick bias, ken :p he's the sort of player you hate playing against you, but love having in your team. At least he used to be - he seems to have mellowed lately. Speaks very well too, contrary to what you'd expect when you look at him. I like him.

Players in FM do not ease off after getting a yellow, they just go on following their instructions. You have to manually change their role, otherwise they'll keep fouling until they're sent off. It doesn't help that FM referees randomly deem standing tackles booking offenses, so a player can get two yellow cards for two consecutive niggling tackles in non-threatening situations.

The fact that a BWM role doesn't allow the 'ease off' instruction at least makes a little sense. That a vanilla DM role has a non removable 'tackle harder' does not though. There is not a single DM support role that doesn't set a playmaker or instruct hard tackling.

But is the role that Scott Brown plays in real life the role that SI have deemed a BWM to be? Given how opaque the roles are at times, it's going to be very difficult to draw the analogies. If we're just looking at titles, then yeah, he probably is one, but if the way that role is set up in FM is slightly different then you may run into problems.

The tactics forum is probably the place - they might spot something in the setup that is leading to more cards. It might not even be down to Scott Brown - could be that the players around him aren't set up quite right, leading to him charging around and getting into positions he shouldn't be in. I don't know, I'm pretty woeful on the tactical side of things.

When he was at Hibernian prior to joining Celtic he was a very good box2box player who chipped in with a few good goals, he wasn't nicknamed Broonaldo there for no reason, Kevin Thomson was the BWM a position he still plays and did so very well against Hearts on Tuesday night.

Players in FM do not ease off after getting a yellow, they just go on following their instructions. You have to manually change their role, otherwise they'll keep fouling until they're sent off. It doesn't help that FM referees randomly deem standing tackles booking offenses, so a player can get two yellow cards for two consecutive niggling tackles in non-threatening situations.

The fact that a BWM role doesn't allow the 'ease off' instruction at least makes a little sense. That a vanilla DM role has a non removable 'tackle harder' does not though. There is not a single DM support role that doesn't set a playmaker or instruct hard tackling.

Agreed. I'm having to play with a Regista (which is the closest I can get to a DM support) just to get that hard tackling instruction off.

When he was at Hibernian prior to joining Celtic he was a very good box2box player who chipped in with a few good goals, he wasn't nicknamed Broonaldo there for no reason, Kevin Thomson was the BWM a position he still plays and did so very well against Hearts on Tuesday night.

scott brown was an attacking midfielder when he played for hibs, he had lighting pace and an eye for goal, mainly operating out wide or just behind the strikers. Then when he moved to celtic he was limited to game time in those postions so adapted his role to a more deeper midfield role to get in the team, never looked back since.

Anybody noticed if in fm16 the teams are more likely to not have 100% of money received for selling players for your transfer budget? I'm playing as Man UTD and we are the richest team in the world, but they always want to keep it at 30%. If i talk to the board i can increase to 45% at best. For a short time they kept 100% but then went back to 30% again.

Strange that unconstructive praise doesn't get deleted though eh?

Probably because they don't need to do much about praise - criticism on the other hand. Well, funnily enough they might actually want to take criticism and do something with it. So they prefer constructive criticism.

Or, you know, it could all be some big conspiracy to silence you.

Strange that unconstructive praise doesn't get deleted though eh?

It would take them ages to do that + you really can't punish people just for loving this simulator, although i would like to learn a bit more about their motivation to sing its praises other than : "I love this game, thank you SI !"

My problem with this version is that i just don't feel like i'm in control. I started out unemployed, Sunday league, like Always. Got a job at Belgium 3rd division Tempo Overijse. 2 promotions later i'm in the top division and into the EUROcup. Then i win the league twice in a row and go into the CL. So what's the problem ? Well, i did all that just by searching around and getting the best players...tactics don't even come into it. I lose games against Mickey mouse teams and no matter what tactical adjustments i try, i lose. They are just all over me and you can man-mark or push up or do whatever...it won't change the fact that you will get hammered. Then you have to go to the tactics forum and read the "bibles", you know...the ones that make Tolstoj's war and peace look like a leaflet. Even after reading through the entire library people will end up with numerous questions and the answers to those are in the range of : "probably this, maybe that...but don't forget maybe x,y and z, and that could be..."

It used to be simple : you worked on a good tactic, you lose a game....why ? Superkeeper...happens sometimes, no bad there. A defender decides to have a mental breakdown and before you can sub him you're 2-0 down...happens. You hit the post 34 times and the ball just won't go in...happens. Others like bad team talks, player morale and such are all perfectly fine...at least you know where you screwed up.

I only write all this because the last game i played left me laughing so hard i can't take this serious anymore. My first CL game...away vs PSG, i'm expecting a hammering, but since nothing i do with tactics seem to matter anyway, we'll just go for attack and hope for a surprise early goal. 67 minutes later i'm 2-0 down and that easily could have been 6-0. Only got one long range shot in. So i've got nothing to lose and go all-attack. 10 minutes later, my CD decides to treat himself to a red card and a two week fine. Suddenly a pop up informs me that in the other match Villareal are 2-0 down to Fenerbace...maybe it'll be me and Villareal for third place...don't want to concede a third, game is lost anyway. So i go to contain, which has the following info : play it slow and safe, focus on defending, don't look to score. Low tempo, very narrow...and hope for the best. What i didn't know was that my team wrongly thought of this as the "Barcelona tiki-taka mode" and 1 minute later we humiliated their defence and scored a simple tap-in, and then i quit in frustration because i scored :) I've won several manager of the year awards and deserved none of them, this engine translates my tactical choices into something i just can't understand (i'd rather lose and know why then win and never have a clue as to why)

It's not a new issue but the link between player reputation and AI team selection/transfers needs to be reduced. I'm just about to buy Wolfsburg's 4th choice centre back Robin Knoche for 3m because he didn't start a single game all season. Their 3rd choice CB Timm Klose started 20 games because he has higher reputation. Knoche has better attributes in almost every area.

It's partly down to research, as Knoche should have been given a higher reputation than Klose (who has moved to sit on the bench at Norwich IRL), but the decision making of the AI shouldn't hinge on a researcher making a small mistake. It's too easy for a human to 'game' the AI like this. Most people will do it without even realising it.

Could well be, but surely in that case the gripe would be related to lack of first team football, and not silverware?

Maybe they didn't play enough games in the competition to win the silverware so while the team did as individuals they didn't.

Could well be, but surely in that case the gripe would be related to lack of first team football, and not silverware?

To be fair, a lot of issues seem to be solvable by changing the wording around (not that that wouldn't take back-end coding to make sure the right one was chosen of course)

When you offer to extend loans, you basically get an offer back from the clubs which you can accept or reject. I got one back saying Leeds feels the player should be playing against better competition (I am Leeds). Making it impossible to accept the loan request>>>Good to know Leeds thinks this sigh.

These news items are getting more and more annoying. I got promoted last season and I'm now predicted to finish 13th. Held a stable midtable position all season long (around 8-12th place), yet everytime I lose a few matches I get tons of news items popping up about how my team is struggling and comments from club legends how they dislike seeing the club in this state blablabla. I mean what? I got the club promoted to the fourth division for the first time in the clubs history and I'm performing above media expecations. Why do these news items constantly pop up? In what way exactly am I struggling?

Then there's also news items about me getting replaced because my contract runs out soon and supposedly bad results, when I have a parttime contract that can't be extended for more than one year anyway. In the meantime my position with the board is very secure, so it's not like I'll get replaced, but these kind of news items just look stupid. Struggling club, sure after getting promoted against all odds and doing fine in the higher league. You'd think these club legends would be overjoyed to see their old club going up, no instead they get grumpy because I lost a couple matches.

I'm moderately sick of being asked why I resigned at my previous job. My contract expired, and I didn't want to stay on a month-to-month. Of course, there's no option to say anything like that.

On a slightly related note, it would be really nice to have the option of leaving at the end of a contract. Seems quite a big omission, and effectively your choice now is either resign or get sacked. I want to be able to honour my contract and leave on a set date, not have to resign.

Is anyone else noticing a dearth of penalty appeals? The actual number of PKs given seems about right, but I rarely see either my players or the opposition appealing for ones which aren't given. Yet when you watch football these days, pretty every game there's a few penalty shouts, even if they are often pretty unlikely to get one.

On a slightly related note, it would be really nice to have the option of leaving at the end of a contract. Seems quite a big omission, and effectively your choice now is either resign or get sacked. I want to be able to honour my contract and leave on a set date, not have to resign.

Right. Why the month-to-month thing is even in the game is beyond me. Perhaps its appropriate at lower levels, but the idea of, say, Pellegrini staying on at City past the expiration of his contract on a non-guaranteed basis is chuckle-worthy.

Right. Why the month-to-month thing is even in the game is beyond me. Perhaps its appropriate at lower levels, but the idea of, say, Pellegrini staying on at City past the expiration of his contract on a non-guaranteed basis is chuckle-worthy.

You're right, that isn't realistic, but it's probably only there to protect the human player. Otherwise it'd be a case of "if you don't sign this poxy offer by June 30th, you're out of here, pal". The month-to-month thing keeps the option open for the human player, as without it we'd be too scared to negotiate a contract and just accept the first paltry offer. I've also observed that this month-to-month thing only seems to affect human managers and not AI managers, so it's probably worth keeping just for the sake of safeguarding our jobs and ensuring the only reasons a human manager would leave are football related (the sack due to failure), or just personal choice.

You're right, that isn't realistic, but it's probably only there to protect the human player. Otherwise it'd be a case of "if you don't sign this poxy offer by June 30th, you're out of here, pal". The month-to-month thing keeps the option open for the human player, as without it we'd be too scared to negotiate a contract and just accept the first paltry offer. I've also observed that this month-to-month thing only seems to affect human managers and not AI managers, so it's probably worth keeping just for the sake of safeguarding our jobs and ensuring the only reasons a human manager would leave are football related (the sack due to failure), or just personal choice.

Fair enough, but in that case give an option for the user to confirm he wants to leave at the end of the contract. At the moment you're effectively trapped until you jump or are pushed.

Are you sure about that, that if a player gets a yellow, they don't automatically watch their step and naturally ease off tackles without user intervention? I always think they do, and in my opinion, i really think they do ease off a little. I have seen my fullbacks get yellows and later they're unwilling to go tackle an onrushing winger etc. Do you have any proof of that statement then?

Is anyone else noticing a dearth of penalty appeals? The actual number of PKs given seems about right, but I rarely see either my players or the opposition appealing for ones which aren't given. Yet when you watch football these days, pretty every game there's a few penalty shouts, even if they are often pretty unlikely to get one.

I see quite a few. It's only in the commentary that you can see it though, there is no animation for it. You have to watch the commentary closely, it will say something like 'Team A want a penalty for the foul by Player X'.

Fair enough, but in that case give an option for the user to confirm he wants to leave at the end of the contract. At the moment you're effectively trapped until you jump or are pushed.

I do agree with you, the 'leave at the end of the season' option would be welcome for when we intend to leave, but would probably have to co-exist with the month-to-month option for when our contracts expire and we don't want to leave but negotiations are tough. For me, the contracts and jobs offered to human managers in FM16 is severely flawed anyway, and from reading posts in the bugs and feedback threads it appears to not be an ucommon gripe, so hopefully it'll be significantly improved for future editions.

Resigning doesn't affect your rep score so that pretty much is the I'm leaving option.

I do agree that that it would be a bonus if that option was available earlier but given the potential downside of players not giving their all for you I don't think anyone would use the option once they realise there's no upside.

Are you sure about that, that if a player gets a yellow, they don't automatically watch their step and naturally ease off tackles without user intervention? I always think they do, and in my opinion, i really think they do ease off a little. I have seen my fullbacks get yellows and later they're unwilling to go tackle an onrushing winger etc. Do you have any proof of that statement then?

I agree with you here. You are always going to have that one player who picks up a yellow every game it seems like. Haven't had too much of a problem with them getting a 2nd yellow. It happens sometimes sure, but most of the time either not changing anything they'll avoid the 2nd yellow, or sometimes just at halftime give them the "need you to avoid another booking" works fine. Has only happened to me I think twice in 4 seasons that a player on a yellow got sent off.

Also usually change things to "stay on feet" and take off any hard tackling opposition instructions.

Managing in Finland and I have the option to send my players on an intensive language course but i've just noticed it's a course for Swedish. I know Sweden is one of the official languages of Finland (the other being Finnish) but from what I can gather only a small proportion of the population speak it (6% according to the BBC). Shouldn't they go and learn Finnish instead?

I guess that depends on whether your club is in a predominantly Swedish speaking part of the country.

Yes, you're right. Just looked it up and apparently Jakobstad is 55.8% Swedish speakers. FM2016 Geography and Culture edition :)

They seem to pick up Finnish aswell anyway, just a bit slower.

Be good if someone confirmed if there will be. Wouldn't take much.

Nothing can be confirmed as it will be released when ready. What is or isn't in the update also cannot be confirmed. If something is confirmed, it'll be announced.

i find it worrying that people complain about things that arent a problem, like through balls from the centre of the park and strikers not scoring enough goals, both problems are debunked in my current save, season 8 my amc playmaker finshed with 25 assists and my lone striker scored 64 goals.....which again worries me the next match engine is going to be an absolute disaster.

Archived