Football Manager 2015 Features Video Official Feedback Thread

• Replies 766
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On one hand I can understand the transition made from sliders to roles, duties and instructions with the release of last year edition, the fine tuning provided by the sliders I found it exaggerated at some sort, also If I wanted a wide midfielder and then I would set several player instructions then maybe a wide midfielder is not really what I wanted. Considering this last argument, one might think that new roles are to be expected in future FM editions. On the other hand, and this must have logic only in the heads of SI coders, I don't see the point of producing a game and then users have to read pages and pages and more pages, endless pages of critics, suggestions, manuals and so on. The playability of the game was serious reduce, a newcomer to the FM series surely would have a brain inflammation. On top of this there is something that I find basic: in FM13 we had roles and duties with explanations about it, in FM14 if SI chose to modify the tactical system, then the explanations would have also to be modified and improved instead of going along with the old explanations. A very poor decision that I hope has really improved this year's edition. Finally, although I can make an effort to agree with the changes in tactics, I also feel that the idea is good, has logic, I like it, but the application of idea was a mess or, at least, incomplete: a) a reference to the changes introduced when setting a mentality and / or a fluidity would be a great help; b) a more expressive / disciplined player instruction should be available; c) different sorts of Hassle Opponents should be available, how do I want my players to press opponents as a whole. As for this last one, the counter-argument is that we already can do this by setting different defensive lines, mentalities, etc., etc.. Well, it's simply not enough. And for as much Miles thinks football is more and more about player roles, sorry, it's not. Football was, is and always will be about (1) the most perfect combination possible about logic and art (this is what players can do, art) and (2) no matter how many roles there is there are always two aspects: offensive transition and defensive transition and this requires, for example, different tempos.

With this said, one more thing arises: thank you SI for this great game.

It is early Beta footage.

How do you know this? I'm sure the video was taken at least a couple of weeks ago too, considering a tweet Miles sent about recording the video if I remember correctly.

One thing I wonder about when people talk about 'AI squad building improvements' is whether they really want exactly that.

The game I'm still tinkering with in FM2014 is a classic 'nowhere to the top' adventure with Wick Academy (most northern league team in the UK, newly playable as a result of scottish 'pyramid' changes.)

Truth of the matter is, achieving success with such an unlikely candidate should be impossible if the AI marshalled it's resources better and acted more strategically.

I guess this comes back to a perennial discussion about 'difficulty settings' - specifically being able to alter the level of challenge 'in-game'.

For me, the ability to dynamically add and remove leagues was a really revolutionary feature, be nice to see more of that kind of fluidity.

How do you know this? I'm sure the video was taken at least a couple of weeks ago too, considering a tweet Miles sent about recording the video if I remember correctly.

They will be working hard on the ME every day, moving from one version to the next every couple of days.

Even if that footage is just 2 weeks old (which we can't possibly know), it is likely from a ME version that is far removed from what they're working on now.

Miles' tweet could just have related to the filming of him. All the other stuff could be pretty old.

i´d be interested in hearing more about the ai, especially within squad management and transfers. Perhaps also to see whether or not the ai is brighter when it comes to tactics.

Also, i´m seriously hoping that we - the managers - are given feedbacck in regards to our tactics. I play on extended, i havent done any counting, but compared to full match, am i missing 30,40,50,60% or even more of the actual happenings in the game?

If im missing out on x amount of game time, i´ll have a harder time countering specific threats. If i´m only playing on key highligts, it´s even less. We should be given objective feedback, if we are getting haunted by their wide men, say so, so that i can counter it. The assistant has been useless in previous additions, so its an area where there is a huge room for improvement.

The 3d looks good and much more close to reality, seems smoother, so definetly an improvement and as it´s sprobably still being fine tuned, i expect it to be really easy on the eye around christmas time ;)

cant say im a fan of the tracksuit or tactical manager, as the perfect manager is both and isnt tha what we are trying to achieve? being the perfect man for the job. eventhough i love the badge thing and the fact that you yourself can do your licenses, does it have an effect? Is there a bonus behind the scenes?

I have a question about the new SCOUTING:

Right now, it seems to me, that the system only increases the scouting time until we see all the attributes and star ratings (like in FM14). While this is a good thing, I'd rather have the scout reports to be wrong at more times than just imprecise for a certain while. On FM15 it seems that I just have to wait three months before I get basically the same report as on FM 14. But they have always been waaaay to accurate, especially regarding the PPA (perceived potential ability). I checked on a lot of U20-players and a 4 to 5 stars potential ability ALWAYS meant a high actual potential ability (for my Liverpool side that is PA 165-190, with the five stars being always 180+).

So my question is: Has the mechanism that creates the perceived abilities changed? I'd love to have that five-star talent of the century kid turning out to stop developing at 20 years because it already reached it's maximum PA, as well as the 2 stars average youth player, released on a free transfer just to become an international star at my rivals club, or - even better - have 2 of my youth coaches have completely different opinions about a players potential ability! That's what frequently happens IRL, and while scouting should not become totally random, it should be much less accurate. So has there been any change regarding that?

I agree that scouts as well as coaches and assistants need to be wrong more often, I think it's the biggest reason why the game becomes too easy the more seasons you play as by 10-15 years in you have that team of 4 - 5* potential players that your scout recommended. They don't need to be wrong too often but how great would it be to see a player your scout put at 2* go on and become a top player elsewhere or that 4.5* player you signed for big money at 18 become a dud by age 25 knocking around in the lower leagues. To me as it is now it's not realistic and just makes the game too easy in the long term and just knowing your scout could make a big mistake would really add extra immersion to the game.

Funny that there was 7 or 8 minutes of Press Conference stuff with about two new questions shown and all the answers to the questions we're tired of were the same as they've always been.

Still, movember and burger van ridiculousness aside, it looks good.

Slightly worried the tunnel/car window interviews are a case of yet more endless questions, and revamped job interviews are fine if there is any chance of being offered a job, which there wasn't in FM14.

Any indication as to if the proper way the B teams work is in the game? I've been waiting for two years for that to happen, for two years we've been reporting that and for two years we've been unanswered. That and the many other errors that the Portuguese team seems to ignore every year, some of them almost eight years old.

Funny that there was 7 or 8 minutes of Press Conference stuff with about two new questions shown and all the answers to the questions we're tired of were the same as they've always been.

Still, movember and burger van ridiculousness aside, it looks good.

Slightly worried the tunnel/car window interviews are a case of yet more endless questions, and revamped job interviews are fine if there is any chance of being offered a job, which there wasn't in FM14.

Not sure what is ridiculous about raising awareness about a charity but whatever.

• Administrators
Any indication as to if the proper way the B teams work is in the game? I've been waiting for two years for that to happen, for two years we've been reporting that and for two years we've been unanswered. That and the many other errors that the Portuguese team seems to ignore every year, some of them almost eight years old.

It's never been unanswered, we've replied on a number of occasions saying that it cannot work as it does in real life due to code constraints in game. You can still physically move players from the main sides to B sides throughout the season without restriction.

Due to this discussion I'm really curious how FM runs on a Pentium 4 CPU, I have one laying around here somewhere. If I find some time I will build a minimum spec pc with some old parts and post some benchmarks.

I still have this old procesor and tried FM 2013 demo and the game was unplayable even with only one country loaded! Most of the time procesor had 100% load, procesing was very slow - if I remember corectly, then my pc restarted at least once while playing it - so I abandoned game, because I didn't want it to kill my pc!

This was only in response to someone who had specifically asked about online games. Of course both methods work fine in single player.

Do our manager attributes have any effect in FM14? Cus they are in game but hidden. Also why isnt the PPM uses outside of foot in FM15, i mean in the video they said players will use different part of their feet to shoot the ball?

• Administrators
Do our manager attributes have any effect in FM14? Cus they are in game but hidden.

Yes, but as said, in FM15 you have the option to start with specific strengths from the very start, and of course the addition of 'tracksuit' manager is not in FM14.

Im just after watching the FM15 video and im loving what im seeing, but i have just one main question and it's about the tracksuit manager/tactical manager and your coaching badge. I know it says you can adjust attributes yourself (which im not a fan of) and also choose your own coaching badge, BUT what i want to know is if i chose 50/50 tracksuit manager/tactical manager and also choose your past experience can the AI adjust your attributes for you going on teams form, cups won and lost, and perhaps getting into a play-off or relegated and you were not favourites to go up or down. I just don't like the fact you can adjust your own attributes. Please tell me the AI can do this for you too as i feel it would be more realistic.

Having the watched the video I'd say it was pretty well done but I would of preferred a blog or forum post with some screenshots. So I could of soaked up the information in 5 minutes of reading rather then 27 minutes. I do have a few things I'd like to comment on, there are probably more things I'd like to ask but I zoned out a bit after about 15 minutes.

First tracksuit manager section, are the manager attributes going to get proper tooltips detailing what they do? I've played FM long enough to know what most of them do, but there are a few I'm uncertain on and I guess a newbie is going to have no idea what they do and which ones are important. Sort of related are Full mode FM players ever going to get to see coach/DoF/HoYD/scout star ratings without having to use an external program? To be honest I started a few FMC games to see who were good HoYDs and then took that information into a Full game as I was tired of trying to work it out manually.

Next are the team meeting a bit easier to follow? In the last few versions I have had an adverse reaction in team meetings when I said the wrong thing. Normally when setting targets and some of the team think I'm not being ambitious enough and I got confused after asking the room and captain their opinions what was going on.

Am I going to be able to avoid the tunnel and/or training ground interviews by sending my assistant manager?

After you win the Champions league or the league, do the board still ask you (something like) to keep celebrations to a minimum so you can concentrate on upcoming challenges? That one always spoiled the realism a bit for me:(

The video looks great and I am so looking forward to a new edition of Football Manager!

But: do manager attributes have an impact on the game though? The attributes have been in the game for a while, seemingly changing depending on how you play the game. I really enjoyed the manager skill choices in the MMO "Football Manager Live" a few years back because it brought a great feeling of reward and competition to the game. Lots of games are like that nowadays, especially MMOs, because it is addictive as heck to improve your character with new stats and gear/skills. I guess that is why we love to develop our wonderkids in FM - you see those stats go up.. However, FM is more of a sandbox simulation where you can easily "cheat" to customize the experience. You can start in the conference or you can start as Chelsea etc. In the video, the same thing applies. You are given the choice of how to distribute your points but at the same time we are given the choice to increase the number of allocatable points overall by choosing licence level and past player experience.

The risk is that after a few saves, it turns into a nuisance where one path is the evidently best one and you will just have to click through more menus and do more "work" for zero net accomplishment. For me the teamtalks feature has become like this in the last few installments of FM where I follow a pretty monotonous patterns of choices of trying to get as much green on the screen as possible and it has little to do with football but more to do with getting to grips with how the game is programmed.

The video looks great and I am so looking forward to a new edition of Football Manager!

But: do manager attributes have an impact on the game though? The attributes have been in the game for a while, seemingly changing depending on how you play the game. I really enjoyed the manager skill choices in the MMO "Football Manager Live" a few years back because it brought a great feeling of reward and competition to the game. Lots of games are like that nowadays, especially MMOs, because it is addictive as heck to improve your character with new stats and gear/skills. I guess that is why we love to develop our wonderkids in FM - you see those stats go up.. However, FM is more of a sandbox simulation where you can easily "cheat" to customize the experience. You can start in the conference or you can start as Chelsea etc. In the video, the same thing applies. You are given the choice of how to distribute your points but at the same time we are given the choice to increase the number of allocatable points overall by choosing licence level and past player experience.

The risk is that after a few saves, it turns into a nuisance where one path is the evidently best one and you will just have to click through more menus and do more "work" for zero net accomplishment. For me the teamtalks feature has become like this in the last few installments of FM where I follow a pretty monotonous patterns of choices of trying to get as much green on the screen as possible and it has little to do with football but more to do with getting to grips with how the game is programmed.

Two posts up http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/398183-Football-Manager-2015-Features-Video-Official-Feedback-Thread?p=9881604&viewfull=1#post9881604 :)

It's never been unanswered, we've replied on a number of occasions saying that it cannot work as it does in real life due to code constraints in game. You can still physically move players from the main sides to B sides throughout the season without restriction.

Unanswered as in, not put into the game, I meant.

But still, two/three years aren't enough to code that part of the game? Please... And the problem is not moving them from team to team. I affects lots of things, from player's registers in the leagues, to finance and staff/player work methodology (e.g. a player can't be made available until fit for play, you have to actually change him from team to team, press continue and wait for someone to decide to let him play).

We've been asking for this for years. That and the database errors that the Portuguese database manager refuses to correct. E.g. Maxi Pereira has been Benfica's right fullback for eight years, and still every year we have to train him for that position. Stuff like this has been reported continuously every year and still we get ignored.

Im just after watching the FM15 video and im loving what im seeing, but i have just one main question and it's about the tracksuit manager/tactical manager and your coaching badge. I know it says you can adjust attributes yourself (which im not a fan of) and also choose your own coaching badge, BUT what i want to know is if i chose 50/50 tracksuit manager/tactical manager and also choose your past experience can the AI adjust your attributes for you going on teams form, cups won and lost, and perhaps getting into a play-off or relegated and you were not favourites to go up or down. I just don't like the fact you can adjust your own attributes. Please tell me the AI can do this for you too as i feel it would be more realistic.

Can i get an answer on this if possible?

It's been combined. If you have no knowledge of a player, it'll be exactly how it was in previous versions (ie no attribute shows up). And yes, as Miles said in his video there are more options for scouting players longer so don't expect doing a very quick 'report card' to give you all the information any more.

Simultaneously damn and hooray :D

There is something I've been wondering about and it relates to stadiums. I've been hoping for years that SI will start customizing the clubs' stadiums and fans more to reflect the real life and finally something has happened about that. Even though I was hoping for more, I realize this is the first year and am grateful that anything has been done to this since I think that each football club in the world is special, different and unique but this hasn't been carried into the game one bit before.

Now that it has started I am wondering what we will get this year? How many different versions of stadiums to expect? For example should I expect the stadium of my favourite club Red Star Belgrade to have similar design to real life (or at least close enough), or will the guys who are in charge of sorting just put it in one of eg. 50 possible options? Will this change at this moment be just broad, with little amount of effort put into it, or will we be able to really see some similarities to real life looks?

Hi Neil,

Thanks A LOT for all your answers here.

Still, let me ask you again about national team management. You didn't say whether there are any changes in FM15 and asked me for my suggestions. I had a bunch of suggestions on the first page and you didn't comment on them.

I understand it is late to incorporate my ideas into FM15, but my question still stays whether we should expect improvements on national team management? On UI, scouting, team selection, tactic familiarity etc.

And of course I'll appreciate comments on my suggestions :)

It's been combined. If you have no knowledge of a player, it'll be exactly how it was in previous versions (ie no attribute shows up). And yes, as Miles said in his video there are more options for scouting players longer so don't expect doing a very quick 'report card' to give you all the information any more.

1)Does the time you need for the whole accurate card of a player to appear depend on the scout's ability as well?

If the scout is bad enough, is it impossible to have 100% defined attributes?

2) As far as the tracksuit - tactical feature of the game is concerned, i remember in previous version that your mental attributes were affected as you gained experience and did certain things. E.x. if you fined players your level of discipline increased.

So, if you initially choose to be a tracksuit manager, your mental attributes will increase as well. If you choose to become a 100% tactical manager, will the training attributes points to allocate increase as you gain more advanced licenses?

So, basically, whatever your initial orientation, if you end up good enough, you will be able in both those areas?

Sort of related are Full mode FM players ever going to get to see coach/DoF/HoYD/scout star ratings without having to use an external program? To be honest I started a few FMC games to see who were good HoYDs and then took that information into a Full game as I was tired of trying to work it out manually.

Go to the staff search list. Left click on the bar that tells you what each column is, and use the menu to insert columns "Preferred Job Rating" and "Current Job Rating". Thatll give you the star ratings, very handy.

• Administrators
Unanswered as in, not put into the game, I meant.

But still, two/three years aren't enough to code that part of the game? Please... And the problem is not moving them from team to team. I affects lots of things, from player's registers in the leagues, to finance and staff/player work methodology (e.g. a player can't be made available until fit for play, you have to actually change him from team to team, press continue and wait for someone to decide to let him play).

But make them available for the reserves works in the same way - if you've put them in until fit, that doesn't mean the B-team manager will automatically select the player for every game. We understand that some users find this frustrating but it would mean a considerable amount of time spent coding that part of the game to get it working like real life for only that league, as no other league works in that way. That's not to say we don't care about the Portuguese league, far from it in fact, it's just given the system currently in game it very close to how it is in real life, it cannot be considered a incredibly high issue to fix.

• Administrators
Hi Neil,

Thanks A LOT for all your answers here.

Still, let me ask you again about national team management. You didn't say whether there are any changes in FM15 and asked me for my suggestions. I had a bunch of suggestions on the first page and you didn't comment on them.

I understand it is late to incorporate my ideas into FM15, but my question still stays whether we should expect improvements on national team management? On UI, scouting, team selection, tactic familiarity etc.

And of course I'll appreciate comments on my suggestions :)

I'm afraid I can't really go into detail about that, but as said if you want to add any ideas you have for International Management into the wishlist thread then please do so and I'll make sure they get looked at. Thanks.

One fundamental thing that has stopped me playing and now buying FM is that as the game has become more "in depth" (ie confusing & less pick-up-and-playable) no in game help has developed to match. The game needs an Ass Man "tool" that gives you tailored specific advice as you need it. It should be all encompassing and turn off-or-on-able, as many would hate the idea as they are accomplished at the game. This may be a complex ask but a lot of time must be spent tweaking trivial modules (ie press conferences) that would be better spent making the game more user friendly to the novice or the casual game player)

But make them available for the reserves works in the same way - if you've put them in until fit, that doesn't mean the reserve team manager will automatically select the player for every game. We understand that some users find this frustrating but it would mean a considerable amount of time spent coding that part of the game to get it working like real life for only that league, as no other league works in that way. That's not to say we don't care about the Portuguese league, far from it in fact, it's just given the system currently in game it very close to how it is in real life, it cannot be considered a incredibly high issue to fix.

Hum... no, not only the Portuguese league works this way, the Spanish B teams league also works like this. As does the Czech, Slovakian, Norwegian and even German teams, with some minor differences between them (like age restrictions, denominations and such).

And the way it works now is nowhere near how it is in real life. Just the way we have to register players for their leagues makes it useless to have them the way they are. And we can't make players available to B teams until fit, we have to actually demote them to do that, I don't know how you can even say it works the same way as reserve teams.

• Administrators
Hum... no, not only the Portuguese league works this way, the Spanish B teams league also works like this. As does the Czech, Slovakian, Norwegian and even German teams, with some minor differences between them (like age restrictions, denominations and such).

And the way it works now is nowhere near how it is in real life. Just the way we have to register players for their leagues makes it useless to have them the way they are. And we can't make players available to B teams until fit, we have to actually demote them to do that, I don't know how you can even say it works the same way as reserve teams.

There are differences with all the leagues, in all honesty it's not an area I've personally worked on. Having spoken to someone involved with this, as said given the system currently in game is very close to how it is in real life albeit not perfect, it cannot be considered a incredibly high issue to fix at this time. Please don't ask any more questions about this. If you have an issue with this in game, I'd suggest adding it to the wishlist thread as to change the entire setup of how B-teams work would be considered a feature. Many thanks.

I would want to ask a few things:

1) There are improvements on the fake players option this year?

2) AI manage youngster better now, aka loan them instead of letting them rot in the reserves (especially GK)?

3) I would like to know if the bug i reported, about players on a free not getting signed and have to retire, was actually fixed.

4) There will be more editor options?

• Administrators

Just to clarify, this thread is more for feedback on what you've been shown in the features video so far rather than asking me lots of questions I can't really answer at this time :D

So please stick to the feedback for the timebeing. Thanks.

There are differences with all the leagues, in all honesty it's not an area I've personally worked on. Having spoken to someone involved with this, as said given the system currently in game is very close to how it is in real life albeit not perfect, it cannot be considered a incredibly high issue to fix at this time. Please don't ask any more questions about this. If you have an issue with this in game, I'd suggest adding it to the wishlist thread as to change the entire setup of how B-teams work would be considered a feature. Many thanks.

The players sent to the current Reserve teams cannot have ppm training, its the Reserve team staff that deals with the player's training. Now, one possible solution could be a chat between us (managers) with them (reserve team manager) in order to instruct him with the ppm training we want for the players. Do you think this could work ?

People here in Portugal, year after year become a little frustrated with this and other issues, like the bad translation of the last FM14 patch of some player roles.

Thanks

Why cant sigames give me a answer if the Pre manager advice before you kick off a game will be included in FM 15? They told me last year that it would be a chance for that in FM 15, but brock and other on Sigames dont respond. I just want a yes or no

Old thread: http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/364154-Assistant-manager-advice-pre-match-gone

So no then... well i will order the game anyway, have been doing that since the Championship manager time, i just find it strange that you have removed from fm 12 the pre match advice, who we need to give "correct" pre match teamtalk to each player. Thanks for reply Alex..

National team management is a tough one in regards to having ideas that people want to come into the game. What do you think would improve international management for example? Would be intrigued to hear your opinion.

Hi Neil,

Thanks for taking the time to respond to our posts. In addition to what was suggested earlier, here are my two cents on how to improve national team management :

- Training : improve and track progress on team cohesion, set-pieces , tactics, etc during international gatherings. National Teams usually have limited time to gain cohesion, and focus is usually put on set-pieces, and I would like to see this somehow implemented.

- Preferred Staff : if you had coaches at previous clubs , chances are that some of them would follow you to manage the national team ( may be already existing but never happened to me yet and I felt hiring staff was not easy )

- Players conflict : some players have notorious personal issues with their peers . National coaches constantly need to deal with this, and build their squads with this mind. If they still choose to assemble a squad with high risks of burst-up for example, they take the risk to fail miserably.

Conflicts should also occur at clubs level by the way, I am not sure how this can be implemented without creating legal issues.

- Media :

More exchanges between clubs manager and the national coach ( players form, discussion on game time, etc ... ).

More communication from media and federation ( i.e. : pressure building match after match, and not just being sack after failing to reach targets )

More media comments / criticism overall on any event that can affect the national team ( selection, captaincy , etc , ... when it comes to national team, any little thing can turn to national drama ). Your manager peers that disliked you should also make your life much more difficult.

More media or celebrations when winning the Graal. Always had that feeling that whether you win a minor league cup and the world cup, media / board reactions are much the same.

- Match difficulty : Maybe just a personal feeling, but I had some past experiences managing "modest" national teams, and I felt that winning matchs again powered houses and reaching finals is overall too easy.

Could go on and on ... what about meeting with Roy too to get some input from him :-)

edit : btw, great bunch of new features , well done to the team.

One thing I wonder about when people talk about 'AI squad building improvements' is whether they really want exactly that.

The game I'm still tinkering with in FM2014 is a classic 'nowhere to the top' adventure with Wick Academy (most northern league team in the UK, newly playable as a result of scottish 'pyramid' changes.)

Truth of the matter is, achieving success with such an unlikely candidate should be impossible if the AI marshalled it's resources better and acted more strategically.

I guess this comes back to a perennial discussion about 'difficulty settings' - specifically being able to alter the level of challenge 'in-game'.

For me, the ability to dynamically add and remove leagues was a really revolutionary feature, be nice to see more of that kind of fluidity.

Yes some players want exactly that, we will never get a true AI that builds a squad the same as a player would, at least not in my lifetime.

It would be nice to see the top teams at least stay competitive and not let their teams age to where they are no longer competitive but have millions in the bank, also you do have times where the top teams buy the best talent and just leave them to rot.

Other times you have top teams loaning players from lesser teams and actually playing them.

It really takes quite a bit away from the game, if like me you play it as realistically as you can, getting to a cup final and then facing a team that should be full of stars and all you see is a few has beens, a few never will be's and 1 or 2 "why the hell do they have him on loan?".

It just devalues the save, I have gave up a few saves over the years because of this.

Anyway, let's keep this quiet as Neil will have a right go if we keep talking about it. ;)

Archived