Football Manager 2014 Beta Update and Demo FEEDBACK THREAD

No idea if it's a known issue but I've seen a lot of instances since the latest patch of goalkeepers taking the ball miles out of their box in their hands and not being penalised. Looks awful.

Maybe worth a report? I've seen a few people complaining in the bugs forum about keepers getting red carded after leaving the penalty area with the ball in hand, but yours is weird that he doesn't get penalised.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Usually one of the first questions would be to ask if your graphics card drivers are up to date. It's made a big difference for me in the past!

Yeah completely up to date, on board shared graphics but should be ok with 2D, heck it even plays 3D on lowest settings!!

OK setting up a game I realised a cool feature would be when selecting nations a button that would select every possible division, nation and every possible player for the largest possible DB.

It could be a simple checkbox on the nations screen called Everything or Select All.

I know many FMers do not play all divisions but there are some that do. ME being one of them!

• SI Staff
No idea if it's a known issue but I've seen a lot of instances since the latest patch of goalkeepers taking the ball miles out of their box in their hands and not being penalised. Looks awful.

Known issue will be looked at for next ME update.

Quick question to anyone who have played the beta for a while.

Have you noticed from your own games or from ai games whether Goalkeepers occassionally get sent off?

Not a major issue so nobody troll me for asking a general question please :) (going to get trolled now ain't I! lol)

Just cannot remember at any time my goalkeeper getting his marching orders for a handball outside area, or bringing someone down as last man. Neither can I remember an AI team keeper getting sent off either. Just seemed odd.

Sorry, but when you talk rubbish I have to point it out, to you and me it's a religion, to them it's life itself :)

You didn't understand me. They're more playing it for the sake of testing even tho I know they're playing it just like we do. I want to play it as much updated as soon as possible. :D

Yes, at 0001 GMT :brock:

Oh you old cheeky sod. :D :D

You didn't understand me. They're more playing it for the sake of testing even tho I know they're playing it just like we do. I want to play it as much updated as soon as possible. :D

No. They'll be playing for enjoyment too. They'll still be playing the game, even when they're not meant to be testing it for leisure.

If a lifeguard at a swimming pool goes for a swim after work... does that mean he's still on duty and merely still making sure everyones safe? Nope! He's doing it because he wants to enjoy himself and have a paddle. :)

The biggest 2 problems for me are the transfers, which I hope will be fixed.

The other is the horrendous defending and low ratings given so early in the game, these will not be fixed for release as PaulC has said that the ME we have now will be the release version.

I will just have to wait for the next ME update.

Yes, those seem to be the major remaining issues. Unlikely we'll see them being fixed for release. We could only hope that they push out a patch during the weekend or early next week. Any case, I think iterative beta approach has been good. Imagine if we didn't have this beta to test things out. The more feedback they get the better.

I've spent the last day or 2 gradually reading through all of the posts here and I swear I must be playing a different game to a lot of you!

I am currently getting the issue regarding low values for FB/WB's, and have also had problems with goalkeeper distribution (now seems to be solved) and insane backpasses, but some of the issues raised above I haven't seen any sight of.

Over-powered wingers (cross = goal), loads of goals from corners, too many shots hitting the wordwork, terrible strikers, too many red cards, these just aren't issues in my game. That said, some of these were issues for me while I was still trying (and failing) to get to grips with the new tactical system, new roles and shouts.

For anyone struggling with supposed 'ME issues', I recommend getting over to the tactics forum and reading up on wwfan's guide. You'll get a great base from which to build your own tactical ideas from and you should see things run a bit more smoothly for your side and get them palying the kind of football you want to see. That has been my experience, anyway.

Lower league contract demands are terrible and totally unrealistic.

Players from Skrill North/South do not want to resign, no matter what. Just plain rejecting negotiations with your club. This has been reported multiple times on bugs forum and nothing has been done to fix this game breaking issue for lower league managers...

Lower league contract demands are terrible and totally unrealistic.

Players from Skrill North/South do not want to resign, no matter what. Just plain rejecting negotiations with your club. This has been reported multiple times on bugs forum and nothing has been done to fix this game breaking issue for lower league managers...

Not everything can be fixed immediately.

One other thing I have noticed and it’s been the same for quite some time now and it’s that flair ratings are generally too high, for instance Alex Oxlaide-Chamberlain has the same rating as Van-Persie 17, Ashley Young 15 now come on. In reality all are too high; very few players should have a high flair rating. In today’s premiership I’m not sure I’d put anyone over 15, 15 plus should be reserved for players like Le Tissier, Cantona, Maradona, Best, Pele, Messi, Bale, Bergkamp, Ronaldo, players who make the extraordinary a habit, not good players who do something special once every three or four years.

Yes, those seem to be the major remaining issues. Unlikely we'll see them being fixed for release. We could only hope that they push out a patch during the weekend or early next week. Any case, I think iterative beta approach has been good. Imagine if we didn't have this beta to test things out. The more feedback they get the better.

I am sure they will get to the bottom of them sooner or later.

I actually thought I was just going to wait for the patch but after searching through these forums and in particular the good player and team guide I was reading the "what team should I be" and came across RSB Leipzig in the German 3rd Division (thanks to you Jibby :) )

I will start that save tonight and build a team up through pre-season, will keep me busy for a while, who knows maybe by then they have sorted the couple of annoying issues.

I know ME is a constant work in progress and there will always be room for improvement, but I wanted to know if SI games think current ME (demo 14.1) is close to finished product or not? would they be comfortable to have FM14 out with this ME? I'm not implying it's broken or anything like that, would like to know what SI games think of current ME.

Bearing in mind I never played FM2013 in any way so everything that happened last year and this year is hitting me all at once, what the hell is going on with the match screen? The UI as a whole is (just in my opinion, of course) inferior to FM2012 but I'll get used to most of it, there's just one thing that's bugging the hell out of me which is the way replays are displayed. If you watch any highlights it won't have affected you but I watch in only commentary mode (usually viewing the analysis screen) with the game replaying any goals that occur, which was fine on FM2012 as the game would transport me to the pitch view so I could watch the replay and then take me back to the screen I was viewing but now the replays display behind what I'm viewing which means I can't see them very well and by the time I've navigated back to the pitch view I've nearly missed the damn goal. Why doesn't what you're viewing just get out of the way when a highlight/replay comes on? I sort of get it, actually, what I really mean is why don't I have the option to choose whether or not to keep looking at the info or have the pitch view come up? Or is there a way to do this that I have overlooked?

Just played a few game and three things about the 3D Match stick out.

There's no pushing, jostling or shoulder to shoulder contact between players either they're tackling or they just stand there watching the ball. It looks odd.

All players seem to be perfectly evenly balanced at all times I haven't seen a defender lean to the left and be unable to move to his right in time. Some times defenders get turned and take an age to get them selves facing the right direction and there is a balance attribute so I think maybe their body shape was wrong and their weight was on their heals but the 3D engine is just showing a man turning unusually slowly.

Most of the time players look like they're running on the ground but now and again particularly when turning they seem to be floating and some times it looks more like the ground beneath them is rotating then that they are making a 180.

I can't wait, as always.

Over the many years, I've seen so many people on here going on about the ME being flawed but although there have been some obvious nuisances with the ME, to be honest, that part of the game has never really been a big issue for me, as long as my team wins haha.

Seriously though, the ME is a marvel and yes there's issues but it must be an amazingly complex 'thing'.

What annoys me each year is the AI, not the ME.

Each year, some things appear to be forgotten, such as the player search screen resetting to the top of the list when you click on a player then back, like the squad screens reshuffling the players into different orders each time you click on a squad.

There's loads of stuff like that that annoys me the most but every year, the release day game seems to have sorted nearly all of that up always, then we get free patches to 'tidy up and improve'.

Overall, I'm without doubt a fan boy too because the game is superb and it must take such massive efforts each year to churn it out.

I play other games too, CoD and so on and I unashamedly ordered a day one edition Xbox One for the 22nd yonks ago and I'll play on that loads but I love being able to switch between the Xbox and games I love on that and my PC for FM.

I personally cannot wait til 00:01 in a few hours...

Only downside these days are no fresh, new manual to sniff

Positives, no queuing at bloody Asda at midnight - people who shop in Asda at midnight are......odd.

Being so close to Halloween I now cannot shake the image of doing the midnight shop to be confronted upon the chimes of the witching hour by zombie like hoards of Harry Redknapp, Jurgen Klopp, Manuel Pellegrini etc. The moment I see David Pleat approaching Im heading to George menswear for a new pair of trousers (brown most likely, just in case!)

Hi guys am playing the beta and started with arsenal and am just in mid December 7 out of my starting 11 are injured 5 of them are injured for more than 2 months lol really and every match i get some one injured for 6 or 5 days come on this is to frequent and untrue.

have any of you guys faced anything like this and also am top of the epl table and without podolski, ozil, carzola, wallcot, vermalen and ramsey

One thing wallcot as a wide target man is a beast

There's no pushing, jostling or shoulder to shoulder contact between players either they're tackling or they just stand there watching the ball. It looks odd.

Yes I think that's one of the reason the defense is weak in this game.

In real life the defense will try to prevent attackers from moving forward by doing what you said, blocking their path, provoking mistakes etc.. and then sometime tackle as well but in this game its either tackle or not tackle most of the time. They try to get the number of tackle similar to the real life numbers but they dont seem take into account all the other stuff a defender usually do to help defending as well.

Yes I think that's one of the reason the defense is weak in this game.

In real life the defense will try to prevent attackers from moving forward by doing what you said, blocking their path, provoking mistakes etc.. and then sometime tackle as well but in this game its either tackle or not tackle most of the time. They try to get the number of tackle similar to the real life numbers but they dont seem take into account all the other stuff a defender usually do to help defending as well.

Incorrect, that's actually the bit they are trying to get right, as PaulC pointed out here http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/368028-Football-Manager-2014-Beta-Update-and-Demo-FEEDBACK-THREAD?p=9140445&viewfull=1#post9140445. If they can get that improved, the level of defending will improve greatly.

I've spent the last day or 2 gradually reading through all of the posts here and I swear I must be playing a different game to a lot of you!

I am currently getting the issue regarding low values for FB/WB's, and have also had problems with goalkeeper distribution (now seems to be solved) and insane backpasses, but some of the issues raised above I haven't seen any sight of.

Over-powered wingers (cross = goal), loads of goals from corners, too many shots hitting the wordwork, terrible strikers, too many red cards, these just aren't issues in my game. That said, some of these were issues for me while I was still trying (and failing) to get to grips with the new tactical system, new roles and shouts.

For anyone struggling with supposed 'ME issues', I recommend getting over to the tactics forum and reading up on wwfan's guide. You'll get a great base from which to build your own tactical ideas from and you should see things run a bit more smoothly for your side and get them palying the kind of football you want to see. That has been my experience, anyway.

There is definite ME issues which, unfortunately, can't be resolved through altering tactics.

Not everything can be fixed immediately.

Yes, but even more annoying thing is that Q/A is claiming that "it is working as intended". Only once I got an acknowledgement from testing department when I provided save game examples, but still their reply is that players "should" sign contacts and they do not know why they are not... They will look at it when they have more time...

I understand that game crashes are important and that are high priority bugs, but this contract bug is breaking game for all lower league managers.

Just a little oddity to mention. There was a news item "Aston Villa in one goal collapse". I don't think you can call conceding a single goal a 'collapse'. Maybe "Villa concede late equalizer"?

Could you post this in the bugs forum (http://community.sigames.com/forumdisplay.php/348-Media-News-and-Press-Conferences) with a save game showing the issue please?

Impressed with the game so far, don't find it too much different from FM 13 however the changes made have been significant and well done! Really impressed with the new 'Close Camera' Makes the game engine feel more real and makes you feel more into the game. I'm also really happy with the new animations on players e.g. boot colour's and other things like the GUI presentation. Only real thing i'm dissapointed at is the lack of ambition/effort with the international side of the game (For yet another year) really don't understand why SI make next to no changes every year to that particular aspect of the game and then expect everyone to be fine! Atleast add something! You STILL can't even give international staff members contracts :S I mean how hard can it be? Really unhappy with the effort put in to improve the international aspect of the game but apart from that everything is fine.

Incorrect, that's actually the bit they are trying to get right, as PaulC pointed out here http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/368028-Football-Manager-2014-Beta-Update-and-Demo-FEEDBACK-THREAD?p=9140445&viewfull=1#post9140445. If they can get that improved, the level of defending will improve greatly.

Well my sentence was on the current state of the game not what they are working on. But that is great to hear that they are working on it.

Green Man Gaming have sent out second steam codes to activate the full game, bit weird as didn't have to do that last year. Just need to add it to your steam account though and the game will auto update itself then tonight.

Defo still seeing ME issues. Not seen as bad as this so far but this is, to quote a certain tv pundit, unbelievable Jeff:

http://gyazo.com/5ac88b3b7bfdd4604fe88d36f3f7ae86

Playing Spurs in a cup replay at home, 44 shots, 26 on target, 12 off target and 7 CCC for me. Spurs had 17, 9, 6, 4 respectively & a higher average rating than my team and I battered them. The match finished 1-1 and went to extra time and then pens, luckily enough I went through on pens then.

Yeh, as somebody said earlier, physicality is the next big step forward.

Will be very disappointed if there are no fixes to the Match Engine.

Why do we have to wait a month or two after release to get a match engine that doesn't make you tear your hair out? FM 12/13 have been horrible to play the first few weeks so let's hope the tradition stops now.

Will be very disappointed if there are no fixes to the Match Engine.

Why do we have to wait a month or two after release to get a match engine that doesn't make you tear your hair out? FM 12/13 have been horrible to play the first few weeks so let's hope the tradition stops now.

I'm pretty sure SI is aware of most of the issues we reported. And given the amount of feedback they get this year I don't think they'll wait a month or two before they release a patch. My bet would be for them to release a ME fix and maybe transfer fix by next week. Crossing fingers...

Another thing that’s not right and was also true for earlier editions, is that there are far too many shots being attempted when there is a blocking defender right in front of the attacker, sometimes you get multiple attempts one after the other, it’s almost as if the ME is using the criteria of distance from the goal and not how clear a shot on goal has the attacker got when judging whether a player should attempt a shot. Obviously this is difficult to get right, players can and do make poor judgement calls but I do feel it happens too often, its especially frustrating when you can see that rather than blasting the ball straight at a player standing two feet away a pass would be a far better option, sometimes it’s a player from your own team in the way of the shot.

It does appear that we have got rid of the issue of the GK short passing the ball straight to an opposition player at least once every match, an issue that fm2013 never resolved.

I have played these games for over 10 years now, and trained football myself for 19 years. It´s clear to see that the current match engine is absolutely horrific, maybe the worst one that I can remember. Aside from the ME and some minor bugs, FM14 is great. The UI have been improved alot, which I applaud SI for. But I can not understand how you can destroy the nearly perfect FM13 engine and release this FM14 engine.

There are so many weird situations occuring during matches that arent even close to a real football game, so many I cant even be arsed to report it.

Lets see.. if we start from the Goalkeeper position. I´ve seen my goalie running and picking up a rolling ball with his hands, he then proceeds to run 5 meters outside the penalty area before stopping: Result freekick and yellow card. In 1v1 situations I feel gk´s are far too good right now, you can see the most insane saves where they accelerate in superspeed, yet goalies get very low ratings after matches.

Defenders:Fullbacks, cant stop wingers ever, get too low match ratings.

A huge flaw in set pieces. Look at this and you will understand.

f31Tht1.png

xb0uofP.jpg

Midfielders/Attackers: Before the update, midfielders were allright. In my first and second season with Stoke, I had very mediocre players, yet they achieved around 7.30-7.50 rating. Now I have worldclass midfielders, avg rating of 7.0. How is that possible?

The AMC position is a total joke, it serves no purpose in the game. Through balls dont exist at all. Longshots are always too wide or high. I tried every single role possible in the game for AMC, nothing works.

Strikers: They serve no purpose, except for taking defenders attention. They get extremely low ratings every game, they never dribble 1v1, they always pass the ball wide or backwards, they cant score 1v1. I have tried every role for them aswell.

My WINGERS score more goals than my strikers. My wingers with 9 finishing, because they score from every cross to far post, or rebounds. This is how most goals are scored right now.

I took a look in the striker database in my game to see if it was just me or the AI that had **** strikers, I was wrong. Between the value of 10m-20m not a single striker have higher avg rating than 7.25. This is also after the update. The only performing strikers in the league is Lukaku and Liber Kozak (!). Why? Because they have good heading ability, only headers matter for strikers right now. Finishing doesn´t matter anymore. You just need to cross and score, thats all there is. In my firstseason with Stoke I ended up 2nd in league, with Peter Crouch as the only striker. 4-5 seasons later I have a fully developed Gabriel Barbosa, Rondon, Finnbogason that cant even score more than 10 in a full season.

50 last games I scored 0 freekicks and conceded 1, and I have players with 18-19 freekick taking.

Now lets talk about team performance. Its 2017 and my Stoke is cruising through league, dominating most teams, have highest pass rate in the league and have a long undefeated streak. Suddenly vs Ipswich I lose 0-5, despite fielding the best possible team. Suddenly I lose again and draw again and again etc. Ending up 5th in league for the third season in a row. I wonder why these slumps occur every season in the late stages, maybe Im extremely unlucky. Every game I lose is where I concede corners and set pieces rebounds, despite having the highest avg. rating of "heading" ability in the league.

Last season I focused on Defensive training the entire season, but I conceded more than I ever did. This season I focused on Attacking the entire league, and conceded less than ever, despite having the exactly same defensive players.

There is much mystery in this FM engine.

its especially frustrating when you can see that rather than blasting the ball straight at a player standing two feet away a pass would be a far better option,

Yeh it could kill him :D

On a more serious note, if you can trap any of those poor shot decisions a PKM in the bugs forum would be much appreciated.

Question - if we've ordered a physical copy of the game, is there any way to get the full game downloaded at 0001 tomorrow or do we need to wait for the disc?

You need the code that comes with the disc.

Played my first game with the updated ME. I did'nt think it was too bad. Ten shots in total in the game. My team were in control, no stupid fullbacks and an ok experience.

Saw something I have never seen before though, their keeper handled the ball outside the box and got sent off. I have to play more, but am optimistic.

There is much mystery in this FM engine.

I have to agree.

I am somewhat surprised that the current ME is going to be the release version, there could be quite a bit of fallout on these forums over the next few days, a shame really as overall it has been quite pleasant this year, never mind though I heard that Kriss was getting bored with all the reserved posting. :)

I'm seeing a lot players that move on big transfer fees to big clubs on relatively small wage. It seems a bit off, seeing as me being a midtable club have to pay worse players a lot more.

Examples:

Inigo Martinez -> Real Madrid - £16.75m - Wage: £22k p/w

Marco Veratti -> Real Madrid - £22.5m - Wage: £37k p/w

Gino Peruzzi -> Real Madrid - £17.75m - Wage: £26.5k p/w

Wilfried Bony -> Arsenal - £9m - Wage £11k p/w

El Shaarawy -> Man Utd - £35m - Wage: £68k p/w

Rondon -> Bayern M. - £17.75m - Wage: £37k p/w

In addition the richer clubs like City, PSG, Monaco etc are paying around £40k-70k to most new signings.

most seem low but not overly low.. however

Wilfred bony's wage looks like a definite bug.. even the fee doesn't look right

Can I ask what the midnight patch will include? I don't want specifics, just will it be ME or database updates for recent transfers or player stats? Or will it just be bug fixing?

If its just bug fixing I will start my long term save now, but if I know players stats will be changed I want to hold out in case the current version is missing a hidden gem.

Archived