Football Manager 2014 Beta Update and Demo FEEDBACK THREAD

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ive played all the fm's apart from 2013 just tried fm 2014 demo everything looks great apart from when im in a match I like to look at player ratings then let it switch to the match but this no longer happens, I know you can have a widget on the match screen but I feel this gets in the way is there any way to get it back to the fm2012 way of switching automatically ?

Sad to say this currently matches my experience of the latest ME. Won't be playing until it's updated.

I have played these games for over 10 years now, and trained football myself for 19 years. It´s clear to see that the current match engine is absolutely horrific, maybe the worst one that I can remember. Aside from the ME and some minor bugs, FM14 is great. The UI have been improved alot, which I applaud SI for. But I can not understand how you can destroy the nearly perfect FM13 engine and release this FM14 engine.

There are so many weird situations occuring during matches that arent even close to a real football game, so many I cant even be arsed to report it.

Lets see.. if we start from the Goalkeeper position. I´ve seen my goalie running and picking up a rolling ball with his hands, he then proceeds to run 5 meters outside the penalty area before stopping: Result freekick and yellow card. In 1v1 situations I feel gk´s are far too good right now, you can see the most insane saves where they accelerate in superspeed, yet goalies get very low ratings after matches.

Defenders:Fullbacks, cant stop wingers ever, get too low match ratings.

A huge flaw in set pieces. Look at this and you will understand.

f31Tht1.png

xb0uofP.jpg

Midfielders/Attackers: Before the update, midfielders were allright. In my first and second season with Stoke, I had very mediocre players, yet they achieved around 7.30-7.50 rating. Now I have worldclass midfielders, avg rating of 7.0. How is that possible?

The AMC position is a total joke, it serves no purpose in the game. Through balls dont exist at all. Longshots are always too wide or high. I tried every single role possible in the game for AMC, nothing works.

Strikers: They serve no purpose, except for taking defenders attention. They get extremely low ratings every game, they never dribble 1v1, they always pass the ball wide or backwards, they cant score 1v1. I have tried every role for them aswell.

My WINGERS score more goals than my strikers. My wingers with 9 finishing, because they score from every cross to far post, or rebounds. This is how most goals are scored right now.

I took a look in the striker database in my game to see if it was just me or the AI that had **** strikers, I was wrong. Between the value of 10m-20m not a single striker have higher avg rating than 7.25. This is also after the update. The only performing strikers in the league is Lukaku and Liber Kozak (!). Why? Because they have good heading ability, only headers matter for strikers right now. Finishing doesn´t matter anymore. You just need to cross and score, thats all there is. In my firstseason with Stoke I ended up 2nd in league, with Peter Crouch as the only striker. 4-5 seasons later I have a fully developed Gabriel Barbosa, Rondon, Finnbogason that cant even score more than 10 in a full season.

50 last games I scored 0 freekicks and conceded 1, and I have players with 18-19 freekick taking.

Now lets talk about team performance. Its 2017 and my Stoke is cruising through league, dominating most teams, have highest pass rate in the league and have a long undefeated streak. Suddenly vs Ipswich I lose 0-5, despite fielding the best possible team. Suddenly I lose again and draw again and again etc. Ending up 5th in league for the third season in a row. I wonder why these slumps occur every season in the late stages, maybe Im extremely unlucky. Every game I lose is where I concede corners and set pieces rebounds, despite having the highest avg. rating of "heading" ability in the league.

Last season I focused on Defensive training the entire season, but I conceded more than I ever did. This season I focused on Attacking the entire league, and conceded less than ever, despite having the exactly same defensive players.

There is much mystery in this FM engine.

there's going to be patch at release ? or should i play the games i've started. Because if its gonna be updated i want to start from scratch. Anyone knows ?

I believe so. Not sure if I am right on this one but IIRC they already made many updates before the beta release. Not sure if they already added that into beta patch release though.

How can I download the Demo without Steam ? When I click the FM14 Demo link in steam i get the error "The item is currently unavailable in your region". I'm based in Germany.

In short, you can't play demo or the full game because law prevent us from releasing it in Germany. Sorry.

I believe so. Not sure if I am right on this one but IIRC they already made many updates before the beta release. Not sure if they already added that into beta patch release though.
I want to believe it myself, but i would love to know for sure :)

You say that every year :D

Meh, they say the same every year. Every year, the previous version was THE best of all time. It has actually been a lot quieter here than previous... although I may have jinxed it and tomorrow all hell will break loose. Good luck mods :D

Very disappointed in the most recent ME update. The initial release was to my mind the best ME in several years - realistic, responsive to tactical tweaks, and the enhanced importance of instructions/shouts above the sliders made it feel much more lifelike. Played a couple of two-season games, one with Arsenal and one with Brighton, and while the difficulty level was probably on the easy side, the game felt well-balanced.

One of the reviews had it spot-on when they talked about the measure of faith in the ME - when things go wrong, do you blame yourself, or the ME? Initially in this version I think you'd blame yourself - getting the tactics wrong - but in this most recent update I just don't have any faith that it's sensible -- which makes it unplayable for me. As soon as you lose the belief that the ME is a fair representation of your layers and tactics, it makes playing the game a little pointless.

Fingers crossed for an early update - or maybe a roll-back to the initial beta ME.

Man i wish they ship the full game with the previous beta match engine. this one is a disaster.

Yes, I completely agree but apparently they are shipping with the latest one, so let's hope for a very quick update that provides a massive improvement on previous offerings. My game may well stay safely wrapped and unplayed until I get to find out which version is being used and whether the next update is delivered fast and is good. This gives me the option to return to Amazon for full refund,i fabsolutelt necessary.

Absolutely detest the latest version of the game and can't believe it was even released but appreciate it is a very complex game for SI to get right. That is why I am in favour of a back to basics approach, which removes some of the poorly implemented and highly spurious features (particularly around player and media interaction) introduced in recent years, so SI can concentrate on what they have always been good at in the past i.e. excellent, accurate database/in-depth stats and detail, good gameplay, tactics and training etc.

I have to agree.

I am somewhat surprised that the current ME is going to be the release version, there could be quite a bit of fallout on these forums over the next few days, a shame really as overall it has been quite pleasant this year, never mind though I heard that Kriss was getting bored with all the reserved posting. :)

Yes but Kriss has been rambling about the Milk Cup and suchlike. Is probably one mention of the Texaco Cup away from being "relieved of his duties for a bit! ;)

Very disappointed in the most recent ME update. The initial release was to my mind the best ME in several years - realistic, responsive to tactical tweaks, and the enhanced importance of instructions/shouts above the sliders made it feel much more lifelike. Played a couple of two-season games, one with Arsenal and one with Brighton, and while the difficulty level was probably on the easy side, the game felt well-balanced.

One of the reviews had it spot-on when they talked about the measure of faith in the ME - when things go wrong, do you blame yourself, or the ME? Initially in this version I think you'd blame yourself - getting the tactics wrong - but in this most recent update I just don't have any faith that it's sensible -- which makes it unplayable for me. As soon as you lose the belief that the ME is a fair representation of your layers and tactics, it makes playing the game a little pointless.

Fingers crossed for an early update - or maybe a roll-back to the initial beta ME.

Although I admit I have been highly critical of all the versions of the beta, I did get round to being satisfied with the first couple of versions, once I got used to them, ao have to agree with you. This latest one is going to be a real issue for SI as the officially released version because there are so many people that really dislike it. Oh well, at least it should improve as the year goes on, they always have in the past.

Yes but Kriss has been rambling about the Milk Cup and suchlike. Is probably one mention of the Texaco Cup away from being "relieved of his duties for a bit! ;)

Was just polishing me ban hammer ready for tonight :)

Yes, I completely agree but apparently they are shipping with the latest one, so let's hope for a very quick update that provides a massive improvement on previous offerings. My game may well stay safely wrapped and unplayed until I get to find out which version is being used and whether the next update is delivered fast and is good. This gives me the option to return to Amazon for full refund,i fabsolutelt necessary.

Absolutely detest the latest version of the game and can't believe it was even released but appreciate it is a very complex game for SI to get right. That is why I am in favour of a back to basics approach, which removes some of the poorly implemented and highly spurious features (particularly around player and media interaction) introduced in recent years, so SI can concentrate on what they have always been good at in the past i.e. excellent, accurate database/in-depth stats and detail, good gameplay, tactics and training etc.

Different teams work on different parts, so that model wouldn't make a difference. The ME team actually has more people than ever before.

The main stuff that needed to be dealt with (physicality) were issue in the initial releases anyway, so I find it strange that people are only noticing it now.

For my part that would bring the single biggest improvement to defending, and I'd much rather they take their time to get it right, than get it out quick.

My experience of the update so far (as Nottingham Forest);

Pre update - At the beginning of a new game I offered Radoslaw Majewski to Palace for £2.5m and they signed him.

Post update - I started a new game, offered Radi up for sale again but this time Palace came in with an offer of £250k! Later on I looked in to signing Jon Taylor from Shrewsburys - their valuation went up to £2.5m, an amount I wasn't willing to pay, but I continued with the negotiations as I wanted to see what kind of contract/ wages he would be asking for. I made an offer lower than what his agent had requested but then when it came to completing the deal the news item stated I would be buying him for £250k rather than the £2.5m that the club had set the deal at. Very strange

Is anyone else experiencing too many shots (demo version)?

Just won away and had 40 shots, 19 of which on target. Opposition had 7 shots in total. In a 2-2 draw away we both had 22 shots total (used a different tactic). Some games I played are too balanced (17-16 shots, 22-22, 15-13 and in others it's a large margin 21-8 in a 2-0 defeat, 25-6 etc)

This is with Inter in the Serie A.

I hope they pay him, or least ship him a free copy every year. Patience of a saint that man, such only dementia/old age could bring.

I like the new ME better than the original for the record and to counteract some of the negative fluff.

If anyone doesn't, just get your money back before it's too late and wait until the new year. It's not called FM14 by random and next year that will be FM15 so why not wait out again because it will be the same next year (like it was last year and the one before that and....so on)....problem solved.

same old of.....initial frenzy excitement pre-release and for a couple of hours after.....the first posts of "hmm, not happy sure about".....to "SI are taking the pee, when this will be fixed, I DEMAND it and have rights...oh did I mention I was playing FM on the ZX Spectrum so deserve better".

Carry on.

The thing to do is to log any bugs in the bugs forum with timed instances to PKM's that you have uploaded to the SI server.

To answer someone else's point above is that to not become disappointed because an SI individual hasn't personally responded to your post. I believe all issues are looked at and even if there is an exising logged bug they can use your saves / PKM's / Screen shots to help identify, fix and test.

As you would expect there needs to be prioritisation on fixes in addition to evaluating the potential knock on a fix in one area could cause elsewhere. Thats why it seems frustrating that an obvious issues can be fixed straight away because often it related to other complexities.

So best thing to do as always is log the bug and example it with saved games / pkms' etc else add your data to the issue that someone else has raised already. The worst thing anyone can do is to just talk about it here and not log it

Anyway, I hope everyone enjoys playing the game - I do wonder how many sick notes will be sent to school / work because people stayed up all night / early hours :D

Different teams work on different parts, so that model wouldn't make a difference. The ME team actually has more people than ever before.

The main stuff that needed to be dealt with (physicality) were issue in the initial releases anyway, so I find it strange that people are only noticing it now.

For my part that would bring the single biggest improvement to defending, and I'd much rather they take their time to get it right, than get it out quick.

Yes, you are right. We should show a bit of patience but it is hard when you find the current version so difficult to enjoy. Apologies if I have shown my frustration a little unconstructively over the past few days.

I am not surprised about the development set up i.e. different teams work on different aspects. Perhaps that is why I feel the various parts don't work too well together sometimes lol! I take it that there is also a team overseeing how each aspect logically interfaces with the other aspects? This is where I have got frustrated in the past about player motivation i.e. hidden stats totally inconsistent with in-match reaction.

I thought the whole purpose of the new ME in FM 13 WAS to bring in said physicality! Isn't it a paradoxon that now this seems to be the source of all major (defensive) problems related to ME, while in FM 12 - in absence of ANY physicality - these problems did not exist (at least to that grade)?

That's not a rhetorical question, I am really asking.

I thought the whole purpose of the new ME in FM 13 WAS to bring in said physicality! Isn't it a paradoxon that now this seems to be the source of all major (defensive) problems related to ME, while in FM 12 - in absence of ANY physicality - these problems did not exist (at least to that grade)?

That's not a rhetorical question, I am really asking.

No. The new ME made it so that player can't run THROUGH other players. What we're having now is players running AROUND defenders :D

The new ME does make it possible to make physicality matter a lot more though.

Yes, you are right. We should show a bit of patience but it is hard when you find the current version so difficult to enjoy. Apologies if I have shown my frustration a little unconstructively over the past few days.

I am not surprised about the development set up i.e. different teams work on different aspects. Perhaps that is why I feel the various parts don't work too well together sometimes lol! I take it that there is also a team overseeing how each aspect logically interfaces with the other aspects? This is where I have got frustrated in the past about player motivation i.e. hidden stats totally inconsistent with in-match reaction.

Not at all, it's understandable everyone gets frustrated when things dont go the way it should, its the nature of development. If you think you and I have it bad, remember many will have been see sawing on this for months! :D Its the very interconnectedness that makes FM so good, but also incredibly difficult to balance. That's why you will always see mods say, "get your examples up". They can never have too much info on this, particularly on things that only seem to affect some people. Even if something is not fixed straight away, that feedback can be crucial to solving something further down the line.

I just started a game with Porto and i have been getting alot of weird transfer offers for my players from other clubs example:

Fernando worth 7m i was offered 210k from Roma

Lucho Gonzalez worth 1m i was offered 66k by AC and Inter Milan

Maicon worth 7.5 million i was offered 2.1M from Newcastle

Jorge Fucile worth 4.1m i was offered 400k from Stoke

They dont just offer this once and accept im not gonna take the ridiculously low offers they keep offering these over and over, None of these players are on the transfer list. What i think might be happening is when the AI are making these offers they are leaving out the addons to bring it around the asking price orwhat they can afford/think is a acceptable offer.

I just started a game with Porto and i have been getting alot of weird transfer offers for my players from other clubs example:

Fernando worth 7m i was offered 210k from Roma

Lucho Gonzalez worth 1m i was offered 66k by AC and Inter Milan

Maicon worth 7.5 million i was offered 2.1M from Newcastle

Jorge Fucile worth 4.1m i was offered 400k from Stoke

They dont just offer this once and accept im not gonna take the ridiculously low offers they keep offering these over and over, None of these players are on the transfer list. What i think might be happening is when the AI are making these offers they are leaving out the addons to bring it around the asking price orwhat they can afford/think is a acceptable offer.

Recognised issue.

You can negotiate them up to a more realistic price or try clearing your cache and restarting.

you mean fm13 beta ME or 14.03 ME? as far i know fm13 beta ME was unplayable, this year beta seem to be much better overall

14.03 of course, it was perfectly fine compared to this latest build. Not whining or anything i would just like to play FM this evening :)

I actually don't mind them taking time to get things right instead of rushing around to put out a new update to the Match Engine.

However the one thing that perhaps needs to be done is to have a clarification of the issues.. I just read through this ENTIRE thread, and everyone is constantly posting different issues.

What I've got so far:

- The fullbacks are terrible at defending (and perhaps cross too often / get low ratings?)

- The wingers are ridiculously overpowered

- The strikers are not putting away "easy" attempts (I've noticed this on my ajax save)

- Too many shots in games (I've noticed this on my ajax save)

- Too many shots hitting woodwork (I've noticed this on my ajax save)

- Transfer negotiations have been really difficult / getting low ball offers. I've purchased only one player though (with ajax)

- Goalkeepers just hoof the ball up the pitch

Am I missing anything here? Are we all in agreement that these are the issues? And does SI recognize them?

Cheers.

Just wanted to inform people that resetting game as suggested has NO effect on transfer bug. I deleted cache, uninstalled game and deleted SI folders. So re-downloaded loaded up a new game and to test it I started with Liverpool as they have some high valued players.

So - Lucas - valued at 21m.- WANTED by PSG and Man City - offered to them without transfer listing - offered 4.3m...... non negotiable - decline.

Spurs then bid 30m - ok decent - so i accepted to test other bug..... no surprise - transfer collapses due to lack of funds?

If anything this needs to be fixed first. I get the fullback problem but ways round that (play 3 at the back lol) but weak transfers are a problem

I can not create anything offensively even against rubish teams..I have no idea what happened after last update. My AMC and ST are completely useless with any instructions and any role and I have tried them all..I am so damn furious right now..

And when you are getting pummeled there is no way you can do anything about it..Chelsea had 38 shots on my goal and during the match I have tried control,standard,counter and attacking..short and direct passing..pressing and standing off..No difference..just shot after shot for Chelsea..

as I said in an earlier post it appears that once an attacker gets close to the byline the defender just gives up thus allowing a free cross every time.

Only it's not 'every time', not even close to it. I'd suggest you watch a full game, even just once, to see that fullbacks get plenty tackles in, in those positions. Those tackles don't make highlight reels of course.

Oh yeah..not to forget that AMC position is absolutely useless..I have not seen any through balls from my main attacking outlet..before update it was ok, but now..jesus..and I have WC players there

I play a 4-2-3-1 formation and signed the Japanese player, Honda, to play in the AMC role, as an advanced playmaker behind Fletcher, and in four games, he's set up five goals for Fletcher, Johnson, and Giaccherini, all from through balls.

Guess it's your tactics :D

You cheeky bugger! I'll have you know I fall asleep at night thinking about my Nantes team.

In my dreams my players are complaining about the match engine. They think they could do better.

Archived