Official Football Manager 2019 Announcement

1 hour ago, CFuller said:

I remember many years ago that I tried to simulate a full AI vs AI match in FIFA 2000, when you could play a full 90-minute match. I stopped at half-time because the scoreline was absolutely ridiculous. Even a 20-minute AI vs AI match could see something like 13 goals scored.

I and a friend actually played a match like this on a PS1 Fifa. By half time, we went picking up a Döner Kebab. By full time, it was 20-20. After extra time, it was 26-25. :D Despite the significantly (inevatibly) higher ratio of shots to goals, players seem to have very familiar sounding "issues". Which doesn't surprise me, but that's me. :D

That said, Fifa 99 still has collision detection proper. :P It's been ingrained into action games ever since, or else we wouldn't have enjoyed the fun in being able to head jump opponents in Mario Bros. ca 1986. :D [This is not suggesting that defenders on FM should be able to hop onto forwards' heads to "nullify" them once and for all, mind]

Edited by Svenc

• Replies 570
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

33 minutes ago, rdbayly said:

I think they meant they were happy with the number of chances and goals, which they felt was close to real life. This is why no major changes were made to the ME in later updates.

There were a lot of glitches and animation issues this year, which bothered me more acutely than in previous releases. To name a few:

• Bizarre goalkeeping behaviour leading to own goals from ignored back passes
  • Short passes ricocheting off teammates' heels and backsides leading to clear chances for the opposition
  • Shots from distance consistently leaving the field of play above the corner flag rather than above the width of the posts
  • No direct free kicks scored or conceded in 650 hours of play (I know others have not had this issue to the extent I did)
  • An over-reliance of hoofed / lofted balls, irrespective of tactical instructions
  • Contradictory text captions such as your player scoring an own goal but it flashes as a goal for you

I'm looking for way more polish and refinement out of the box this year. Really looking forward to the release actually.

Yep, that's the point they were making. And very much hoping for more polish. They were often minor, but it's immersion breaking. 

15 hours ago, mightypvfc said:

I'm not too sure. I'm basing my comment on what a SI employee said in another thread in the bugs forums. The comment was along the lines of "we're very happy with the ME this year" if I'm remembering correctly which doesn't leave much room for misinterpretation. 

Also, in terms of aesthetics, we've seen a distinct lack of progress over the 9 years since it was introduced. Yes, animations have inevitably improved. The look of the stadiums has improved, too. However, the natural progression that we'd expect to see from a 3D simulation isn't happening in FM. The ME is the heartbeat of the game and sometimes I feel I want to actually see with my own eyes why my player has just picked up a booking rather than have it explained to me. It's still basically a text-based ME. 

In my opinion the look of the stadiums improved up until FM16 and then started to go in the opposite direction, something that has been identified on various threads and I am waiting to see if this will be addressed in FM19

11 minutes ago, Tony Wright 747 said:

In my opinion the look of the stadiums improved up until FM16 and then started to go in the opposite direction, something that has been identified on various threads and I am waiting to see if this will be addressed in FM19

I think they go to and outside contractor for stadium designs, so maybe they changed who they went with. I think licensing issues has something to do with it to. That being said, i totally agree with you. Hopefully they look better for FM19.......and the creepy regen faces too lol

As for graphics in 3D gameplay it is too "candy". Thank god they improved lighitng, which is very important, but since about FM 16 I've been using sweetfx tool to make 3D graphics just as I want, and I really like it :)

but animations and physics - that is what make me sad...

Edited by armbi

27 minutes ago, oblongata21 said:

I think they go to and outside contractor for stadium designs, so maybe they changed who they went with. I think licensing issues has something to do with it to. That being said, i totally agree with you. Hopefully they look better for FM19.......and the creepy regen faces too lol

I think you are correct and I can't believe whoever they use now has ever been to an actual football ground.  yes there are licensing issues in using "real" stadiums, but that shouldn't affect the look of the stadiums.  I also agree with you about the regen faces

2 hours ago, DP said:

So if it’s not shown to us how will we know? ‘Under the hood’ isn’t good enough. We need to be able to see it and judge for ourselves otherwise you might as well not have any animations at all. 

Because if you take a look at the commentary, or in most cased 2D you can get a general feel of it. It's only the 3D who give a supposed "real" showing of what happened. If you look at (almost) any weird single happening in the 2D or commentary only then you will understand what happens. Let's take an example from another user in here: 

1 hour ago, rdbayly said:

This proably happens because of a lacking animation. The keeper is supposed to miss the ball with a kick, or perhaps fail to control it and have it roll beneath his foot. But as it happens the graphics engine don't have an animation to show, and it just looks like he runs away from it. While if you look at it from a 2D or commentary you get a more feel that this is indeed is a mistake by the goalkeeper.

1 hour ago, rdbayly said:

I think they meant they were happy with the number of chances and goals, which they felt was close to real life. This is why no major changes were made to the ME in later updates.

There were a lot of glitches and animation issues this year, which bothered me more acutely than in previous releases. To name a few:

I'm looking for way more polish and refinement out of the box this year. Really looking forward to the release actually.

I agree with the majority of your statement, but I'll address the list one by one:

- Missing animations, as I mentioned above
  • Short passes ricocheting off teammates' heels and backsides leading to clear chances for the opposition
    -  Agreed, but I would point out the "last ditch tackle gives another attacker an open goal" and how often it happens.
  • Shots from distance consistently leaving the field of play above the corner flag rather than above the width of the posts
    - This is one of the things I don't agree on. This almost never happens in my games (other than the odd one a season or so), and I think this is more of a tactical thing than an ME-isse. Though I agree it could be tweaked to not go AS far out. The reason for these shots is often due to a lack of options and would happen in a tight spots. In real life the ball would be sliced because the players were under pressure, but that's not as easy to see at it should. In addition to missing animations for falling sideways after a sliced shot.
  • No direct free kicks scored or conceded in 650 hours of play (I know others have not had this issue to the extent I did)
    - I think the occurrence is a bit on the low side in general, but I had a player (goalkeeper with a bad free kick rating, due to a challenge) score 5 free kicks in a single season.
  • An over-reliance of hoofed / lofted balls, irrespective of tactical instructions
    - Another one I would call "tactical". I don't have much of this happening, but I had until I got my base tactic sorted out. For me it was mostly down to poor tactical instructions. I wanted to play out of defense, but my defenders often had few possible outlets or my defenders were actually too poor to play with those instructions. There is a reason Peter Cech is having a tough time for Arsenal at the moment. He is a good keeper, but not quite good enough with the ball at his feet.
  • Contradictory text captions such as your player scoring an own goal but it flashes as a goal for you
    - I haven't noticed this... Does it happen every time there is an own goal? Am I blind?

1 час назад, Tony Wright 747 сказал:

It was unpleasant to discover stadiums without corners in FM18, including new generated stadiums. There is problem in tribunes - a lot of stadiums have just four tribunes - A,B,C,D and corners are part of them.

But FM takes corner tribune like separate object and stadiums looks like village ******** without corners. 

On screenshot new generated stadium of FC Barcelona. Uncornerded monsters like this at least in few leagues of original DataBase

Спойлер

20180526141702_1.jpg.e173e2cb5473cc93fc2

I need two minutes to analyze this problem, but developers and researchers published the game with this bug. Funny but parallelly were talks about realistic stadiums ;)

Edited by Novem9

1 час назад, oblongata21 сказал:

and the creepy regen faces too lol

and regen skills... They too much random like BWM with pass 11 and vision 17, and all clubs have acute shortage after 2030.
The filter found players in several times less than in the first season of original DB.

Edited by Novem9

2 hours ago, Svenc said:

It's been ingrained into action games ever since, or else we wouldn't have enjoyed the fun in being able to head jump opponents in Mario Bros. ca 1986. :D [This is not suggesting that defenders on FM should be able to hop onto forwards' heads to "nullify" them once and for all, mind]

Could be a purchasable item in FM Touch. :D 

3 hours ago, RorysRocketThrow said:

I think before we talk about 3D improvements, we need to remember there were a fair few people struggling with glitchy graphics on good systems last year.  I'd be more inclined to reduce the number of new animations and spend time on the engine below it and making the current 3D representation as solid as it can be.

There are two threads still wide open on this in the bugs forum with no real indication that the Devs know how to fix them.

Me being 1 of them mate! Hopefully 19 works straight out of the box for me this time around.

Stadiums in FM are just awaful! Ok, I know there is something like licenses, but could they be at least more realistic instead of just couple patterns which you can hardly find in the real world's?

Edited by armbi

First of all i hope we will get a really improved AI (interactions, transfers, tactics etc.) and match engine. And i think we deserve a better 3D graphics in 2019. Ok of course i'm not expecting FIFA 19 graphics but something like FIFA 13-14 would be great. 

You're going to be disappointed I imagine if you're expecting console-issue football game graphics from within the last 5 years. Fifa 2014? Come on, as if. It's already been explained how hard it is to code a 90 minute match that is new every time and doesn't end up 50-45. It's just not going to happen.

1 minute ago, FrazT said:

I am sure that it does and quite rightly too- but at major professional grounds up and down the country?:D

Oh of course not. I especially laugh at the giant American 'BURGER' signs in small Italian towns.

If SI fix those minor issues that they refused to acknowledge in FM18 (some weird long shots, no scoring from direct free-kicks, players staying in line still during set-pieces, ball hitting the back of a player randomly) and they tweak/add a few roles (halfback tweak would be very nice after so many people asked for it for some time now), I’d be more than happy. Also returning to FM17ish UI would be a bonus. I personally don’t want nor need FIFA-like graphics, it’s pointless to ask for that.

So bring it on, looking forward to see what’s the “new era” all about and hoping it’s more than a marketing decision.

Oh and btw, would be nice if they tweaked the Ass Man’s advises during matches to something useful or just simply remove it from there, it’s became a bloody meme.

Edited by Armistice

Great expectations, Miles as usual makes big show tweeting like a pope from the palace windows to his sheeps 😂 but I'm pretty sure it will be like always since 2009 :) that is minor improvement promoted to an era changes 😎

Edited by armbi

Sorry SI but this is really ****ing ****-poor. You give everyone a time, delay it with no notice, then suddenly start putting things out with absolutely nothing said on Twitter, Youtube or your own official forums? Surprised Sega haven't insisted on running the PR yet.