Official Football Manager 2019 Announcement

• Replies 570
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, bigmattb28 said:

New tutorials, really?!? Please don't say they've added bloody tutorials over actually you know, improving the game!! VaR tho that's good.

Believe me,this tutorials will grab a video on the features and will be "revolutionary".

2 hours ago, bigmattb28 said:

New tutorials, really?!? Please don't say they've added bloody tutorials over actually you know, improving the game!! VaR tho that's good.

To be fair, for new people to the genre, the game was in dire need of tutorials to introduce you to how to play and understanding what the hell is going on.

Whilst it isn't really useful for those of us who have bought the game for years, slating it as an addition is a little harsh.

1 hour ago, JordanMillward_1 said:

To be fair, for new people to the genre, the game was in dire need of tutorials to introduce you to how to play and understanding what the hell is going on.

Whilst it isn't really useful for those of us who have bought the game for years, slating it as an addition is a little harsh.

It's one of two default settings - either the new feature is completely pointless, and possibly the worst thing they could ever do, or it's going to be the best thing ever.  Both opposite ends of the spectrum, but both end up at exactly the same point in the end once everyone actually sees the game.

On 02/09/2018 at 09:28, FrazT said:

You will be told that it is in the game but it is rare- like many others I have never seen it.

Think it became rarer by the release that saw a few big ME reworks. IIRC players up until about FM11/12ish could pretty much "turn on the spot and shoot instant" too, which wasn't particularly realistic, but also made for unhumanly stuff. Speaking about (rare Ronaldo) stuff that is rare, this one is impossible though. (100+ shots, xG 15+, actual goals... 4) :D

Xi9U0Mh.png

(If not I'd like to see it! Such a shame that the final outcome of the season made it so that the focus is more on his lifting the CL trophy again, rather than him getting sacked Zidane by January almost alone, to a degree... not because of "Schadenfreude" or anything, but because that's been one of the biggest and most curious "comebacks" in football -- 4 goals until mid January, and then still making the top spots of the scoring charts by May. Scoring streaks just don't happen that way typically. This looks like a historical one, absolutely. Wonder how much of a role this all played in Zidane resigning, as there were reports about dressing room tension too. Serious, in-depth analysis requested. Also, feature request for FM 2020. :P ). As of Juventus in the league, currently he's on ~24 attempts without scoring again too.

Edited by Svenc

On 02/09/2018 at 08:28, FrazT said:

You will be told that it is in the game but it is rare- like many others I have never seen it.

There is a "likes to round keepers" PPM. I gave it to my star striker. Never seen it in actual use.

В 13.09.2018 в 22:59, JordanMillward_1 сказал:

Not sure. A lot of people who played a lot of years can't explain about shape or something else. Guides help us but developer use the best description

On 14/09/2018 at 18:27, noikeee said:

There is a "likes to round keepers" PPM. I gave it to my star striker. Never seen it in actual use.

I agree with this- so many times when the striker is through 1 on 1, you think-"this time surely!" and of course he hits it straight at the keeper.  In another of my pet dislikes, I have just had my keeper punch a ball for the first time in FM18- unfortunately, it was into his own net in the CL final that we lost 1-0.

14 minutes ago, FrazT said:

I agree with this- so many times when the striker is through 1 on 1, you think-"this time surely!" and of course he hits it straight at the keeper.  In another of my pet dislikes, I have just had my keeper punch a ball for the first time in FM18- unfortunately, it was into his own net in the CL final that we lost 1-0.

Just wondering.... could it be art imitating life, at least to a degree? :D

Sure, all us who frequent this board won't have much need for tutorials, but try to give this game to a random football fan who haven't played any FM/CM games before and see how the get on. I have a few mates who tried to pick it up, but where just blown away at all the things they could do and had no were to turn to get a handle for it. Even if I guided them through the basics it were still hard for them to grasp. If you want an example for yourselves try to play Aurora 4x or Dwarf Fortress without looking at any guides and let me know how you get on...

I think a tutorial for new players is long overdue, so to hear Miles hint at adding it to the game was encouraging. Indeed, I thought he came across well in that interview on the whole, especially when explaining why certain features couldn't/wouldn't be added yet.

12 minutes ago, Barside said:

Tom looking totally lost next to Miles.

Noticed that as well. :lol:

Wonder if we could read into Tom’s body language & facial reactions to Miles’ answers to figure out what’s legit & what’s utter twaddle.

@Federico to be fair to the interviewer it’s tough to focus on promoting the new release when Miles is not going to talk about new features.

22 minutes ago, Federico said:

Yeah. And please, someone bring him some food!

I think he still lives in the same town as me, if I bump into him I’ll buy him a burger.

5 minuti fa, Barside ha scritto:

@Federico to be fair to the interviewer it’s tough to focus on promoting the new release when Miles is not going to talk about new features.

Yeah that's true, not easy asking to someone who can't/doesn't want to answer.

2 minuti fa, Barside ha scritto:

I think he still lives in the same town as me, if I bump into him I’ll buy him a burger.

Maybe two :lol:

I don't expect much of anything new . It will be more of an update and refinement I think . They might coat it with a glossy intro but can't see it will be much . I hope they won't bring in something new anyway . Would rather they fix what's broken first.  An editor for FMT though would be awesome

I dunno this year, the focus on the intro over actual game substance when pre orders went up just... Doesn't inspire me with confidence. 

Waiting till the end of September to release any actual info for a release 3 months into the season in Nov.. 

And then the 10% discount that's been talked about to the death... 

On 14/09/2018 at 03:27, noikeee said:

On 15/09/2018 at 04:08, Svenc said:

Interesting point made in that link regarding the apparent extinction of rounding the keeper:

"But basically the parks are slicker and more heavily watered, which makes it easier to pass or fizz it into the bottom corner when one-on-one, whilst at the same time making it easier for keepers to slide onto the ball. Both of those changes have made a difference in the style of finishing."

Still, this doesn't explain why players with the PPM "likes to round the keeper" still don't do it, which seems to point to the match engine not being prepared to faithfully replicate this move more than an intentional absence meant to mirror real-life trends.

Additionally, this makes me wonder if there should be more of a noticeable difference in play depending on pitch quality. There are certain things you can do on a slick, wet World Cup final pitch that you can't do on the chopped up minefields of Vanarama North. Not sure I've ever seen this replicated, though it's possible it is but just hard to distinguish from the lower-quality play already found in those scenarios anyway...

Edited by Weston

1 hour ago, Weston said:

... this makes me wonder if there should be more of a noticeable difference in play depending on pitch quality. There are certain things you can do on a slick, wet World Cup final pitch that you can't do on the chopped up minefields of Vanarama North. Not sure I've ever seen this replicated, though it's possible it is but just hard to distinguish from the lower-quality play already found in those scenarios anyway...

Hmmm ... what about all the skaters we seem to see?

Just now, kosecki99 said:

The same ME as last year ?, that is, the same tactical options, nothing new, this is pathetic SI

How do you know? Have anything been revealed and I haven't seen it?

40 minutes ago, kosecki99 said:

Yeah, but Miles doesn't say the ME are the same? How can it be, when they have added VAR? Or if there are any tactical changes (I have seen something about throw-inns btw!)? Or anything else really. The only thing that this video tells us, as far as I could see is:

1. New tutorials (nice for new players, maybe some things that have escaped for veterans...?)
2. VAR is included in certain countries/leagues (A nice touch, but not critical for me)
3. No lower leagues to Greece and no Cyprus leagues (Meh...)
4. New animations, improved animations (Nice! Something that actually show what the players are doing instead of spasming is great!)
5. The reasons for the "older" look of the matches is at least partly down to SI wanting to allow players with low specs to play the game. (Sure enough, I guess that a lot of FM'ers aren't the average "gamer"-type).
6. Miles thinks gameplay is more important than graphics (I couldn't agree more! I still play a lot of older games with shoddy graphics!)
7. Miles are against "exclusive"-licences. (I kind of agree, at least to photos and logos and stuff).

So I still wonder where you get your "The same ME as last year ?, that is, the same tactical options, nothing new, this is pathetic :seagull: " from. Please let me know.

Edited by XaW

The ME will never be the same year on year.  Ever.  They will always make some level of changes to it, and probably far more than people give credit for.  However, whether the changes they make make it "better" is pretty subjective. 

In terms of the other stuff, Tutorials sounds like a step in the right direction in terms of documentation, but it all depends what it covers.  No added leagues doesn't really matter much, it was never expected.  Can't disagree with much of the rest that was said.  VAR seems utterly pointless to me, but it's understandable it's been added for the "realism".  

1 hour ago, SortitoutsiVP said:

Can see VAR being very annoying unless it rules in your favour, otherwise it'll probably feel as if the game is 'cheating' somewhat.

I can imagine the posts now :rolleyes:

Having said that, I'm not really sure what I'd prefer.  Would it be better just to code in that the referees don't make mistakes?  Given the confirmation bias that people see in the game, it'd surely be better from a purely gaming perspective to have the decision be the decision, rather than any ambiguity that's often hard to spot.  I accept there's mistakes, but putting the VAR around it just seems a bit of fluffy window-dressing.  Remains to be seen what it looks like anyway.

10 minutes ago, forameuss said:

I can imagine the posts now :rolleyes:

Having said that, I'm not really sure what I'd prefer.  Would it be better just to code in that the referees don't make mistakes?  Given the confirmation bias that people see in the game, it'd surely be better from a purely gaming perspective to have the decision be the decision, rather than any ambiguity that's often hard to spot.  I accept there's mistakes, but putting the VAR around it just seems a bit of fluffy window-dressing.  Remains to be seen what it looks like anyway.

Feeling cheated by referees is actually an accurate depiction of real life haha

That being said, the only thing that leaves a bit to be desired is the fact that the animation is too poor to make a real judgement yourself. If the ref calls a PK against you and the narration at the bottom says "that looked dubious" you may feel you're being nudged to answer "the referee got it wrong" in the post-match press conference. But how do you really know if you can't see it? There are times where I disagree with the commentary IRL as well. It's not a clear enough picture to really analyze for yourself, so there's no real way of ever knowing if the call was correct or not.

I try to be honest in the way I play the game - if my team suffered an egregiously bad call, yeah, I'd call it out. But in FM it just seems like you run the risk of a fine or a ban for something there's no way you could feel confident in claiming. which makes it feel like it's never worthwhile. So VAR could actually be really, really cool if it adds a higher-def replay that sort of zooes in with much higher-level graphics that allow you to really get in there and reveal the truth. The reason why normal gameplay is lower quality is because it has to be generated in real time along with the calculations of the ME, etc. But imagine you see a blurry altercation and suddenly the match pauses and that clip is blown up to near FIFA size and you can say, oh yeah, he totally tripped the guy!

I'm not suggesting this is what FM19 will have, but there's a greater than 0% chance this could be the first step in that sort of direction over time. I might lob in the idea to the suggestion forum if it seems plausible once we see what they have in store for this year.

Edited by Weston

2 minutes ago, Matteo3champions said:

I like to know that referees (as the previous versions) could do mistakes, because it reflects perfectly RL.

And refs still make mistakes even with VAR. In fact, if you read my comment above, this has the potential to actually show you when refs make mistakes as opposed to the vague hints in the narration that don't really give you any closure.

3 minuti fa, Weston ha scritto:

And refs still make mistakes even with VAR. In fact, if you read my comment above, this has the potential to actually show you when refs make mistakes as opposed to the vague hints in the narration that don't really give you any closure.

So i will lose for sure against Juventus when Orsato will be the ref. And Douglas Costa won't be banned for spitting... :)  :):) (of course i'm joking)

Edited by Matteo3champions

11 minutes ago, Weston said:

Feeling cheated by referees is actually an accurate depiction of real life haha

That being said, the only thing that leaves a bit to be desired is the fact that the animation is too poor to make a real judgement yourself. If the ref calls a PK against you and the narration at the bottom says "that looked dubious" you may feel you're being nudged to answer "the referee got it wrong" in the post-match press conference. But how do you really know if you can't see it? There are times where I disagree with the commentary IRL as well. It's not a clear enough picture to really analyze for yourself, so there's no real way of ever knowing if the call was correct or not.

I try to be honest in the way I play the game - if my team suffered an egregiously bad call, yeah, I'd call it out. But in FM it just seems like you run the risk of a fine or a ban for something there's no way you could feel confident in claiming. which makes it feel like it's never worthwhile. So VAR could actually be really, really cool if it adds a higher-def replay that sort of zooes in with much higher-level graphics that allow you to really get in there and reveal the truth. The reason why normal gameplay is lower quality is because it has to be generated in real time along with the calculations of the ME, etc. But imagine you see a blurry altercation and suddenly the match pauses and that clip is blown up to near FIFA size and you can say, oh yeah, he totally tripped the guy!

I'm not suggesting this is what FM19 will have, but there's a greater than 0% chance this could be the first step in that sort of direction over time. I might lob in the idea to the suggestion forum if it seems plausible once we see what they have in store for this year.

This is the big part.  I remember one of the versions, not sure which one, but one I was heavily involved in a thread with FMCU, so obviously going into greater detail.  I was given a goal in a very, very important game.  Competition escapes me, but the goal really, really mattered.  When it went in, I expected a flag to go up, but it didn't.  Going back through replays there wasn't a single angle that FM could give me that told me conclusively whether it should've been a goal or not.  The visuals just aren't as fine-grained as they need to be.  Like you say, you're getting a referee making a mistake, having it change to a VAR decision, and then the referee making another decision (the "right" one, potentially).  None of that you have any sort of window into unless it's something blatantly obvious.

5 hours ago, forameuss said:

This is the big part.  I remember one of the versions, not sure which one, but one I was heavily involved in a thread with FMCU, so obviously going into greater detail.  I was given a goal in a very, very important game.  Competition escapes me, but the goal really, really mattered.  When it went in, I expected a flag to go up, but it didn't.  Going back through replays there wasn't a single angle that FM could give me that told me conclusively whether it should've been a goal or not.  The visuals just aren't as fine-grained as they need to be.  Like you say, you're getting a referee making a mistake, having it change to a VAR decision, and then the referee making another decision (the "right" one, potentially).  None of that you have any sort of window into unless it's something blatantly obvious.

Further examples of this are, to name a few:

- Handballs. It's very difficult to see a player actually handling it even when zoomed in on replays

- Tackles that lead to penalties. Other than 2 footed lunges (which are OTT) - You can't really see clips or trips, as the attacker often just falls over and a pen is awarded.

- Players standing motionless for a few seconds after a challenge. I imagine that he is stumbling or off balance rather than the stone statue I actually see.

- Goalkeeper dives. There are insufficient animations for keepers full stop, particularly to illustrate effective rushing out, diving at the attackers feet or 'making themselves big' in 1 v 1 situations. You never see a keeper tripping a forward for a pen because of this.

6 hours ago, Matteo3champions said:

So i will lose for sure against Juventus when Orsato will be the ref. And Douglas Costa won't be banned for spitting... :)  :):) (of course i'm joking)

Haha it's amazing how people are still upset with Juve even when VAR is correctly used to rightfully send off our player! And this is after multiple red card-worthy offenses from rivals Napoli and Inter were not even reviewed the same weekend, AND they missed Di Francesco's initial actions which provoked Costa in the first place 🙄

6 hours ago, forameuss said:

Right, it's simply too ambiguous as is. But with this level of graphic detail what else is the game to do, have the narration just feed you the line "the ref got it wrong but now he has corrected his error" or "the ref has made the incorrect call here"? That wouldn't feel great either.

41 minutes ago, rdbayly said:

- Handballs. It's very difficult to see a player actually handling it even when zoomed in on replays

- Tackles that lead to penalties. Other than 2 footed lunges (which are OTT) - You can't really see clips or trips, as the attacker often just falls over and a pen is awarded.

- Players standing motionless for a few seconds after a challenge. I imagine that he is stumbling or off balance rather than the stone statue I actually see.

- Goalkeeper dives. There are insufficient animations for keepers full stop, particularly to illustrate effective rushing out, diving at the attackers feet or 'making themselves big' in 1 v 1 situations. You never see a keeper tripping a forward for a pen because of this.

All good points. Besides when the little football man does an absolute flip splayed out at 2x the speed of everyone around him does the animation really give you the "that was objectively and obviously dirty" nudge.

9 hours ago, rdbayly said:

Agreed. The lack of animations are one of the things I hope they have improved upon in FM19. And I think this will help out with some of the annoyances when playing and seeing your player do something stupid. Like goalkeeper seemingly having seizures instead of diving for the ball, or defenders standing motionless while attackers run past. A couple of the really weird ones I have reported (like this) have been explained as missing animations.

So the ME have done the job is should but have created an even the graphics engine are unable to create visually. Because if you were to look at it in 2D you wouldn't notice it, but in 3D it just looks wrong. I saw Miles talk about animations in the video, so this might have been improved for the release. At least I hope so!

25 minutes ago, Matteo3champions said:

I've seen that Miles has changed his Twitter's profile picture with the avatar i think of FM 19,  it seems that the character is in a room (maybe locker room??)

Maybe this is the reason.. 😂😂