It came home. Hope, hope came home

Bliss Seeker

"Momentum" :D

As if our proper team of Kane, Trippier, Walker, Sterling, Alli, Lingard and Henderson are suddenly worrying more about Colombia because of the result of a meaningless game they weren't even involved in.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Barry Cartman said:

Rashford by far the MOTM tonight, the way he majestically kept smashing that ball round the post to save victory was knighthood worthy 

Odds on Scott still saying he should start over Sterling? 

1 minute ago, Rob1981 said:

"Momentum" :D

As if Kane, Trippier, Sterling, Henderson and the others are suddenly worrying about Colombia because of the result of a meaningless game they weren't even involved in.

One of those football cliches that nobody says in any other part of life but somehow applies in the football world. I'm sure were all guilty of saying it at some point though :D

10 minutes ago, Marc Albrighton said:

One of those football cliches that nobody says in any other part of life but somehow applies in the football world. I'm sure were all guilty of saying it at some point though :D

Statistically proven that no result affects the result of following games.

4 minutes ago, ginnybob said:

Interesting. Do you have a link that highlights this?

Pretty sure that's absolute nonsense. Of course previous results play a factor. It's the reason teams can fall apart after one bad result. See: City last season after drawing with Celtic, went from 10 straight wins to, iirc, 2 wins in the next 10 (with about 6 draws). See also: United this season. Tanking teams for fun then a poor performance at Anfield in a 0-0 and they never really looked convincing again the rest of the season. 

Pfft, Colombia are bobbar. James is good once every four years, Falcao is ancient and made of glass, Cuadrado is a headless chicken, Ospina flaps more than one and who or what is a 'Yerry Mina'?

Easy stuff. :thup:

4 minutes ago, ginnybob said:

I would agree but if there is some sort of study into it I'd definitely be interested to see it.

Couldn't find anything with my (albeit quick) Google searching.

Maybe the study would show that one result is less likely to have an effect on the next game, but to say that it never has an effect is just outright wrong. 

There's countless stats proving that teams struggle to deal with European football as their league results suffer. See: Leicester City, Chelsea in the two non-title winning seasons of the last 4. 

I just don't see how it can be said that it never has an effect. It does in some circumstances. 

I know you're not disagreeing with me btw, don't want you to think I'm directing all of this at you :D

e: Just saw the post above! That is definitely something I'd want to read, as international football is obviously hugely different and I could perhaps see an argument for it at int level. 

2 minutes ago, Haguey said:

Pfft, Colombia are bobbar. James is good once every four years, Falcao is ancient and made of glass, Cuadrado is a headless chicken, Ospina flaps more than one and who or what is a 'Yerry Mina'?

Easy stuff. :thup:

Yerry Mina is a Barcelona player :)

spent a lot of last season out injured, broke his foot i think. 

30 minutes ago, Rob1981 said:

Cant stop looking at this ffs, if we got these three in the group stage you'd think it was a decent draw for us.  Nevermind for a shot at the semis.

image.png.b11b50b9f856ae65d87a7c9574e4599b.png

Don't want to be a pedantic and a buzzkill but there's no way three European sides are allowed to be drawn together in the group stages...

📅 2010:
🇪🇸 Guardiola wins the league in Spain
🇪🇸 Spain then win the World Cup

📅 2014:
🇩🇪 Guardiola wins the league in Germany
🇩🇪 Germany then win the World Cup

📅 2018:
🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 Guardiola wins the league in England
🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 IT'S COMING HOME

7 hours ago, Rob1981 said:

Cant stop looking at this ffs, if we got these three in the group stage you'd think it was a decent draw for us.  Nevermind for a shot at the semis.

image.png.b11b50b9f856ae65d87a7c9574e4599b.png

I think you're underestimating Sweden and Switzerland here. 

No way we threw that on purpose. We picked a weaker team to allow 3 days of prep (instead of 2) for our first team against whoever we are to play. 

Just good tournament management.

Look at Colombia - had to play their best team and their best player went off injured. Imagine the scenes if Southgate had played Kane last night and he had got injured. The same people criticising for fielding weakened team would be all over him for risking Kane.

44 minutes ago, Mr Adam said:

No way we threw that on purpose. We picked a weaker team to allow 3 days of prep (instead of 2) for our first team against whoever we are to play. 

Just good tournament management.

Look at Colombia - had to play their best team and their best player went off injured. Imagine the scenes if Southgate had played Kane last night and he had got injured. The same people criticising for fielding weakened team would be all over him for risking Kane.

Agreed. Happy Southgate rested players as we need our first team ready for the knock out whoever it is. Didn't want to lose last night and I'm sure the team didn't but the main thing was resting the main team.

Unfortunately he's in for criticism now and if we don't get through to the semis people will now argue we should have tried harder to win this, and if we did beat Belgium and went out people would have said we should have lost so he can't win at all in the situation unless we get very deep.

1 hour ago, Cedrik said:

I think you're underestimating Sweden and Switzerland here. 

V Switzerland: https://www.11v11.com/teams/england/tab/opposingTeams/opposition/Switzerland/

Won 16, draw 5, lost 3.  Have not lost since 1981

v Sweden: https://www.11v11.com/teams/england/tab/opposingTeams/opposition/Sweden/

Won 8, draw 9, lost 7.  Bit more mixed, but we won our last competitive game in 2012.

That's all nice, but rather meaningless as it doesn't says anything about the their current teams (and England's current team). At the moment, no matter what results in the past, Switzerland and Sweden are two very difficult teams to face.  

And btw, if you still want to look at stats like that, in the last 15 (!) confrontations with the Swedes, England only won twice :D

• Administrators
44 minutes ago, Pukey said:

Agreed. Happy Southgate rested players as we need our first team ready for the knock out whoever it is. Didn't want to lose last night and I'm sure the team didn't but the main thing was resting the main team.

Unfortunately he's in for criticism now and if we don't get through to the semis people will now argue we should have tried harder to win this, and if we did beat Belgium and went out people would have said we should have lost so he can't win at all in the situation unless we get very deep.

I wouldn't call it a 'weakened' team (though for sure, some are not first choice and players were rested). The other players in the squad aren't just bodies to be used as subs, I thought we did set out to try and win. The plan was quite clear to hit Belgium on the counter and use pace up front to get behind them, but it didn't pay off. Don't think you can say the team didn't try harder to win, but it was weird with Rashford was a wingback towards the end.

Imagine thinking it's not coming home because England lost last night. Have people never seen a sports film? It's not plain sailing all the way through, that doesn't make a good story, gotta have a low moment so you can rise back up. 

3 minutes ago, darren1983 said:

Imagine thinking it's not coming home because England lost last night. Have people never seen a sports film? It's not plain sailing all the way through, that doesn't make a good story, gotta have a low moment so you can rise back up. 

Well, how often does an international football team win 7 games in a row against top 20 opposition in competitive football?  Not very often, that's how many.  You have to have a blip in that run.  4 games in a row, sure! 

11 minutes ago, darren1983 said:

We haven't had the heartbreak of Harry Kane getting injured in the final yet making way for Jamie Vardy to complete his story 

Only found out recently that John Barnes had to do a “rap-off” with a handful of the other squad members that were at the recording (only a few bothered to turn up). Basically they had a turn each and then Barnesy was deemed best and got to do it for real. Means somewhere on an archived tape somewhere is Des Walker’s version and Trevor Steven’s version.

13 hours ago, JDownie said:

Maybe the study would show that one result is less likely to have an effect on the next game, but to say that it never has an effect is just outright wrong. 

There's countless stats proving that teams struggle to deal with European football as their league results suffer. See: Leicester City, Chelsea in the two non-title winning seasons of the last 4. 

I just don't see how it can be said that it never has an effect. It does in some circumstances. 

I know you're not disagreeing with me btw, don't want you to think I'm directing all of this at you :D

e: Just saw the post above! That is definitely something I'd want to read, as international football is obviously hugely different and I could perhaps see an argument for it at int level. 

That's not really form though. Playing worse due to European commitments is a separate issue, you would have to have worse results after a European loss compared to a European win.

Have you seen the sports pages of the Sun and Mirror this morning? :D

Wish I hadn't, there's having a bit of fun and enjoying your team in a tournament for the first time in a generation, then there's actually taking it seriously and it being completely embarrassing.  

Football365.jpg

2 minutes ago, GunmaN1905 said:

English euphoria during WC/EURO is basically a Only Fools and Horses special that re-runs every couple of years. :D

This time next year tournament...

Oh give over you were admitting in the other thread Spain & England would walk into the Semis without an ounce of irony ;)

While I don't think England will win this year, surely at some point they will have to win titles again, France, Italy, Spain and Germany had their time, maybe at some point it will be England's time too.

Archived