Just a topic I wish to discuss - why does anyone play FM over FMT anymore?

So I'm sitting here playing a little of each version of the games and swapping back and forth to compare them. I guess if I feel like I want a lot of monotonous depth I can sign 30 staff year after year or I can hire 7 and not worry about it. I guess I can assign 20 scouts, or I can hire 1 and let him work on the areas I want him to. I am just not finding much reason to play the full FM anymore. It has less player headaches (Baby sitting simulator lol), it has fewer news items that get repetitive so fast, I don't even read them anymore, I literally know the answers to most of the questions before I have even read them now. I realize this is just my opinion, and many will have differing opinions but I desire to know how many people are finding out like me that FMT is just really better than FM now.

I used to feel like something was missing from FMC/FMT, and for a while I had a wishlist of what I wanted to see but now I don't feel like FMT is missing anything. If anything, it has better features, like training just the players I want and the staff can have the rest instead of all or none. I can pick a PPM from a list instead of going through 3 screens just to have my staff member tell me he doesn't think my player can do that... you know what I mean? I just don't miss the players crying over playing time and having to answer the same damn questions every time you start a game and beyond.

For fear of being too repetitive, which I have been, my questions for people is this;

1. Does anyone else out there find FMT superior now? If not, why?

2. Is FMT really missing anything that FM has anymore?

Looking forward to a discussion.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since FM Classic started on FM13, I always have at least one save running on that alongside my main one on the full version. Classic's been a great addition and it's a game mode I really enjoy. I still prefer the full game though, as there's a lot more depth. I like the speed of it, and the way you can rattle through seasons. However, for full immersion, the main game will always be my game of choice. 

16 minutes ago, HUNT3R said:

Simple answer for me - because it has more depth. I like the depth and the slower pace.

I like the conversations, team talks and tactical familiarity, to name a few.

Yeah this. I don't like to race through seasons. I like to take my time, take in everything that's going on. Keep a close eye on the team and formation and take pleasure when they get fluid in a formation i've taken hours to perfect. 

I am probably the slowest FM player in the world due to this, but each to their own i guess :lol: 

For me, it is just the depth and immersion that makes me prefer FM over FMT. I'm a person who likes to have one long save per release (actually, I am enjoying my current save so much I think I will miss out on FM17 altogether). I like the added depth of players taking their time to getting used to new tactics, having to work closely with staff to shape the team and tactics you want. I'm also a fan of team talks, even new conferences (as after playing one save for so long you get your chances to mock your rivals publicaly.... Never miss out on an opportunity to put down Joey Barton and David Moyes when you can ;)

42 minutes ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

You can have as many leagues as you want on the Classic version too (On PC anyway(

With a maximum of 50000 players and no custom DB. 

The FMT skin is also horrible imho. Every year I try to play a FMT save and just drop it because it feels (rightly or wrongly) lime in playing a tablet game on PC

4 minutes ago, dREIS said:

The problem with discussions like this is that it always ends up in a slinging match, as each side tries to convince the other of the merits of each version. Play how you want for the reasons that are important to you.

Agree, and let's hope it doesn't end that way here. This is the first season where I just don't feel like anything is missing from FMT and that is saying a lot but for some reason I keep playing a little of both and wondering why, hence why i hope it focuses on my 2 questions rather than a slinging match. I enjoy the takes from both sides, especially those who talk about how they enjoy a game with lots of depth as their reason for playing FM but also give examples of the features they like specifically about said depth.

My main save this year will be on Touch (on the Mac) instead of full fat for the first time.

I think the only thing missing from Touch is the advanced set up where you can specify which players to load but it is hardly a deal breaker. 

I worry how much FM time I will get with work/kids etc. in my life. Touch feels like it might be the answer for the first time.

Also, first impressions from a preseason is that it feels like it is simming very quickly compared to full fat.

1 hour ago, martplfc1 said:

I dislike how FMT looks. The coloured blocks for the player attributes are horrible.

I always see it as a bit of a mess about, the full FM feels more involved for me.

this is the same for me. i havent looked at this years FMT beta yet. if the interface/skin looked the same as FM then i'd probably only play FMT. 

I just dont like to think that I'm missing out on something by only playing FMT, but in reality when I play FM, i stick to on tactic all year/FM edition, I only view key events in the 2D match engine, I only loads a handful of leagues.

So yeah if FMT looked better I'd stick to that. I've play FMT with my 8 year old, but he tends to get bored after an hour or 2. So i'm concerned he doesn't have it in him to devote his life to FM/ChampMan like i've done

I played FM16 almost exclusively on the FMT side. Just couldn't get into FM.

This year, until today I only played FM. Love it. Really couldn't stop. But then I realized. Man, I'm still in pre-season. So, I downloaded FMT to check it out and see if I feel like I'm missing something or if it will give me all I want. 

I'll get back to you when I have played a bit more but as for speed, I'm already done with pre-season. Somehow less clicking, less interviews, less staff selections and hiring (even though I revamped my entire backroom staff). Players still whining though and they're gone. So that fun is there. And the social media is also there for better or worse. I enjoy those little comments from the fans. There's always two for something and then that one who is against anything you do. Player scores 3 , he asks why he didn't score more. Or that he isn't that good. 

I'll come back here with more info once I can give a better picture of this year's FMT. 

(Skin btw is more polished now. I prefer it to the full FM one.)

4 hours ago, tieio said:

For fear of being too repetitive, which I have been, my questions for people is this;

1. Does anyone else out there find FMT superior now? If not, why?

2. Is FMT really missing anything that FM has anymore?

Looking forward to a discussion.

Well starting off, for me, its not about one being superior over the other, its just different experiences.

I do tend to play FM full version the most. The reason for this is that I like to build a club, that I stay with throughout the save. In FM, there are more options for developing facilities, links, developing players in the way you want to, managing players and so on.

That's just my general preference. On the occasions I do want something quicker I dabble in FMT. Similarly if I want to do something more fantasy-based (thinking of creating a club in the EPL with only South American players at some point) then FMT it is.

I prefer playing as quickly as possible and going for the long term career, and delegate boring things like press conferences, but I never try FMT because I'm afraid I'll miss out on some important option or feature. Plus it just looks cartoonish in my opinion.

Absolutely nothing wrong with those who like it, of course.

I'm the same as many others, tried FMT very briefly and really didn't like it. Just felt I was missing out on certain things. I like all the little details and poring over things in full FM. FMT just feels to me like a cell phone game or something. Immersion is what keeps me coming back to FM

10 hours ago, treble_yell_:-) said:

With a maximum of 50000 players and no custom DB. 

The FMT skin is also horrible imho. Every year I try to play a FMT save and just drop it because it feels (rightly or wrongly) lime in playing a tablet game on PC

This! I would love to play the FMT version, but I can't seem to adjust to the skin. If there would be an option to say change simple things like the font, colours etc. then I would play FMT fulltime. I bought fm17 but already dislike all the actions I need to do before I can actually start a game. For now I'm in the middle of both versions so I choose for fm14. 

Just now, sebva said:

This! I would love to play the FMT version, but I can't seem to adjust to the skin. If there would be an option to say change simple things like the font, colours etc. then I would play FMT fulltime. I bought fm17 but already dislike all the actions I need to do before I can actually start a game. For now I'm in the middle of both versions so I choose for fm14. 

There will be custom skins available for FMT as well. There are some for FMT 2016.

4 minutes ago, CarltonBanks said:

I play the full version because I'm playing FM to be a sim not an arcade game. 

I'm not lazy, so so I don't want the game stripped out and simplified. 

The classic version is still a simulation. I'm amazed that after what is now 5 years of this being included that people are still completely ignorant to what it actually is. 

6 minutes ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

The classic version is still a simulation. I'm amazed that after what is now 5 years of this being included that people are still completely ignorant to what it actually is. 

I'm completely aware of what it is. 

I'm amazed people insist there's no difference except it's faster.

1 hour ago, CarltonBanks said:

I play the full version because I'm playing FM to be a sim not an arcade game. 

I'm not lazy, so so I don't want the game stripped out and simplified. 

Why does this Arcade rubbish always come up? As for lazy etc, ok if it makes you feel better about yourself.:thup:

I prefer FMT (Classic) because it takes out the stuff that I don't enjoy and find tedious/boring, tbh I probably do miss a bit more control over the club but I can live with that though.

Please do not let this go into something religious. I think there are valid reasons for playing both of the games. I'm playing the full game most of the time. But when I'm travelling I like to play FMT, especially as I can do it on my iPad. The main reason for playing the full game is for me to be really involved in a game world that simulates all parts of football. I like it to play it slow and I like to add my own made custom league files and to have tons of other leagues active and all the interaction with the media and the staff. FMT is for me like going back to the old CM days. It's a very good game, just not that powerful and immerse as FM is. But I can enjoy both games and both are miles from any other football management simulation.

23 minutes ago, Maw74 said:

Why does this Arcade rubbish always come up? As for lazy etc, ok if it makes you feel better about yourself.:thup:

I prefer FMT (Classic) because it takes out the stuff that I don't enjoy and find tedious/boring, tbh I probably do miss a bit more control over the club but I can live with that though.

Which is exactly my point. If you want a sim, you want the most realistic, detailed experience possible. If depth and details are too much and annoy you, you're not really looking for simulation gameplay. 

FMT factually has less depth. It is further down the arcade/sim scale than full FM. Everyone so far that has said they prefer FMT specifically said it was because it had less simulation aspects because they thought details were annoying and time consuming and useless.

EDIT: It's like racing games. FM is like GT. FMT is like Forza.

Except some people like Dagenham Dave purposely misinterpret it and act like I'm saying it's PGR.

On 25-10-2016 at 01:24, CarltonBanks said:

Which is exactly my point. If you want a sim, you want the most realistic, detailed experience possible. If depth and details are too much and annoy you, you're not really looking for simulation gameplay. 

FMT factually has less depth. It is further down the arcade/sim scale than full FM. Everyone so far that has said they prefer FMT specifically said it was because it had less simulation aspects because they thought details were annoying and time consuming and useless.

Except some people like Dagenham Dave purposely misinterpret it and act like I'm saying it's PGR.

For me its more that the FMT version comes closer to FM2012 the version in which I had the most fun. The extra added options just don't do it for me and they won't "up" the fun factor for me. That's why I rather want to play the FMT version. The only thing which I already said is that I like to have more graphical change options. I can't even change the attribute colors without using a reroute trick to do it. Also the option to use editor data would be a nice additive. For now it seems they focus more on the quick gameplay on the road stuff.

I love both version of the game, what does it for me is the ability to find almost any player on FM. I love the man management and interaction be it with players or the media. Also I love the online play with friends. I play FMT on the go, and love that you can get through a season quite quickly. The downside for me is the restriction of only being able to load leagues in 3 nations and no only play function.

I will always prefer to play FM over FMT purely because of the detail.

After a little bit of researching, I think it will be possible to add a custom database to the FMT version since the've split the game. I hope however that the two can be interchanged otherwise I don't think there will be much done with this new function in FMT

1 hour ago, sebva said:

After a little bit of researching, I think it will be possible to add a custom database to the FMT version since the've split the game. I hope however that the two can be interchanged otherwise I don't think there will be much done with this new function in FMT

Where did you get this info?

I always wonder about this and yet never delve into FMT. The main reason or one of the reasons is that even on full fat I could crack out a season in 8 hours.... in FM17 I'm at 5 hours per season and I reckon I can shave time off that. So as someone who loves to rattle through the seasons, I see no need to have less features (If that is the case ie DB size or rules) and can enjoy the full game without limitations.

People always feel you have to do this that and the other in the full fat version.... but you don't and you don't have to in order to get success. I play the game as simple as I did on the Amiga back in 1993/4.

1 hour ago, vasilli07 said:

Where did you get this info?

If you look at your Documents folder FM17 is now split in 2 different folders FM and FMT. In the FMT folder (which is new this year) you all the regular folders you would always find in a FM game. Hence my assumption it is now possible to use editor data, lets just hope it will work with the normal editor date :)

On 25/10/2016 at 00:24, CarltonBanks said:

Just give up mate, we get it, you've got absolutely no idea what FMT is, no need to keep proving your ignorance. That analogy is laughable to the extreme. 

It's funny, when classic mode was first introduced I was really skeptical.  But now it's my preferred (and basically only) method of playing. The "full" game just has too much bloat to it for my liking. FMT strikes a perfect balance IMO.  I don't like the social feed, I don't like the player interactions (which never seem to work the way you'd think they would), and there is a lot of tedious stuff going on that FMT eliminates.

I'd say the #1 drawback to the "full" mode though is the interactions aspect. I just don't think it's anywhere near "realistic" enough to be worth diving into. Praising a player and basically being told to shove it up my you know what isn't exactly how I feel a management sim should work.

Anyway. Cheers to FMT. 

7 hours ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

Just give up mate, we get it, you've got absolutely no idea what FMT is, no need to keep proving your ignorance. That analogy is laughable to the extreme. 

It's funny, all you do is insult me and avoid discussing the actual subject at hand. If you wish to dispute my claim that FMT has less depth than full FM please do so and stop acting like this.

Archived