Just a topic I wish to discuss - why does anyone play FM over FMT anymore?

On ‎24‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 08:56, treble_yell_:-) said:

With a maximum of 50000 players and no custom DB. 

The FMT skin is also horrible imho. Every year I try to play a FMT save and just drop it because it feels (rightly or wrongly) lime in playing a tablet game on PC

This. Just feels fugly.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2016-10-24 at 04:37, Cougar2010 said:

As much as I want to like FMT when I give it a go I simply miss some of the features that full FM has.

This is what I am asking though, which features?

On 2016-10-26 at 17:38, bababooey said:

It's funny, when classic mode was first introduced I was really skeptical.  But now it's my preferred (and basically only) method of playing. The "full" game just has too much bloat to it for my liking. FMT strikes a perfect balance IMO.  I don't like the social feed, I don't like the player interactions (which never seem to work the way you'd think they would), and there is a lot of tedious stuff going on that FMT eliminates.

I'd say the #1 drawback to the "full" mode though is the interactions aspect. I just don't think it's anywhere near "realistic" enough to be worth diving into. Praising a player and basically being told to shove it up my you know what isn't exactly how I feel a management sim should work.

Anyway. Cheers to FMT. 

Fantastic! This made me laugh and nod in appreciation.

On 27/10/2016 at 02:38, CarltonBanks said:

If you wish to dispute my claim that FMT has less depth than full FM please do so and stop acting like this.

Except that wasn't your claim at all. But don't let the facts get in the way. 

THIS was your 'claim'

I play the full version because I'm playing FM to be a sim not an arcade game. 

I'm not lazy, so so I don't want the game stripped out and simplified

Not really much to dispute. 

1 - It's not an 'arcade game', it's still a simulation

2 - You clearly are lazy, in terms of doing research before posting about things you know nothing about on the internet. 

3 - The game is not 'stripped out' - streamlined yes, stripped out, no.

4 - It's certainly not 'simplified', in fact many FMT players will argue it's a bigger challenge than the full game as you've less control over the morale of your players, etc. 

So yeah, in terms of being a valid 'claim', well it wasn't really. At all. Never mind though, eh?

16 hours ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

Except that wasn't your claim at all. But don't let the facts get in the way. 

THIS was your 'claim'

Not really much to dispute. 

1 - It's not an 'arcade game', it's still a simulation

2 - You clearly are lazy, in terms of doing research before posting about things you know nothing about on the internet. 

3 - The game is not 'stripped out' - streamlined yes, stripped out, no.

4 - It's certainly not 'simplified', in fact many FMT players will argue it's a bigger challenge than the full game as you've less control over the morale of your players, etc. 

So yeah, in terms of being a valid 'claim', well it wasn't really. At all. Never mind though, eh?

You're purposely misinterpreting me. 

It is stripped out. There are features in FM that aren't in FMT. You can view it as streamlined, but it's REMOVING things that are there in real life, therefor should be present IN A SIMULATION. 

It is most certainly simplified, things are removed therefor it is simpler. There is less to keep track of, less to manage, less to do. The fact that it's more challenging due to things being removed doesn't mean it's more complex. 

Like whatever you like, but FMT is factually lesser than FM. 

1 minute ago, CarltonBanks said:

Like whatever you like, but FMT is factually lesser than FM. 

No-ones ever argued otherwise on that. That wasn't the point you made though, something you're having a great deal of trouble grasping. And no amount of tear stained revisionism is going to change that. 

1 minute ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

No-ones ever argued otherwise on that. That wasn't the point you made though, something you're having a great deal of trouble grasping. And no amount of tear stained revisionism is going to change that. 

You argued that. FMT is an arcade version of FM. Despite the fact that it has much less depth and realism, you dispute that. All you've done is be insulting and refuse to discuss how you feel FMT has the same level of depth and detail as FM. 

To get back to the original point, I have never ever played FMT. Not properly anyway. When it very first came out, I loaded it up and had a look but it wasn't for me. I enjoy the detail of the full game, I'd want MORE stats and control of my club if anything, not less. I don't mind seasons taking ages either. Once I have my club up and running and winning things, my squad built up over a number of seasons, the seasons go much quicker anyway. 

I always run 1 or 2 games a year on FMT. Mostly to try out different tactical setups since FMT doesn't include tactical familiarity.

Always go full fat for my main saves though. FMT has no tactical familiarity, no tutoring, a stripped down staff module and no way to edit the db. What really prevents me from really getting into it though is the mentioning of paid add-on stuff in the news items.  Nothing breaks immersion like a ''purchase magic sponge" button...

6 minutes ago, Wells said:

Never ever played FMT, it feels like kids game to me, also dislike how the UI looks.

How do you know if you've never played it? It's not a 'kids game' either. It's depressing how people think like this. SI must put in a lot of hours to create this as an alternative to the main game. 

Only basing my experience up to FM16 because I haven't tried the beta.  For years I would just play full fat, I dipped into FMC/FMT a few times but was never all that keen as it seemed too streamlined and the skin wasn't to my liking.  However at the end of FM15 I started a save on it and started off playing FMT when FM16 came out and loved it.  I tried starting a save full fat and deleted it after a few match weeks because it was just too much after the streamlined version I had been accustomed to so went back to FMT and have stayed on that ever since.  Haven't decided if I will get FM17 yet but if I do I will for the first time just buy the cheaper FMT version because I have decided that I have no interest in full fat anymore.

For me I just want to build squads and play matches.  These days I don't even bother in creating my own tactics as it just stresses me out too much so I'll try a few downloaded ones and may just tweak them to my liking.  Then I just play seasons with maybe two at the most three tactics.  Don't have to worry about tactical familiarity, endless press or player conversations or trawling the staff database bringing in endless numbers of staff I just make do with a physio, assistant, DOF and Youth Manager. 

It's pretty much perfect for what I want out of the game.  Yes there are things that I miss to an extent from full fat mainly getting your youth coach to deal with reserve players contracts a bit more or being able to kick the players up the backside at half time or after a match but I don't really want it having too many features or it defeats the object of what it is.  The only thing I really miss is an editor and that's only mainly because once in a while your Club may sign a player IRL who isn't in the game database that you are playing but I do wonder if FMT had an editor it may drag 1000's more over from full fat.

So from my point of view personally I would never go back to full fat.

1 hour ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

How do you know if you've never played it? It's not a 'kids game' either. It's depressing how people think like this. SI must put in a lot of hours to create this as an alternative to the main game. 

I just looked it at once to see how it is and quit after 5 mins.. was it FM13 or 14 can't remember it exactly..

That's how I know.

16 minutes ago, mandella said:

I just can't stand that blocky attributes look. Just looking at them hurts my eyes. If they chnaged that I would surely play FMT.

That's off putting for me as well. I do prefer how the attributes are displayed in the main game. Other than that, I really like the default classic skin. 

Some of the fans of FMT persuade me to give FMT a bash.

I love the micromanagement side, hated the FMT version skin immediately the first time it was released (and only time I tried the version...for one pre-season), but just have less time to play. I rarely get past 7-8 seasons in a version on a long term save before buying the next version.

But comments here about FMT have persuaded me to give something a bash I'd written off. Thanks.

i went to play FMT over the weekend, but where is it? on FM16 it was launched from the main screen but i cant see it. also in steam when i found FMT it prompted me to buy it. I thought FMT was part of the steam FM17 package that i bought? it not a completely different game this year is it?

17 hours ago, Jibby123 said:

Some of the fans of FMT persuade me to give FMT a bash.

I love the micromanagement side, hated the FMT version skin immediately the first time it was released (and only time I tried the version...for one pre-season), but just have less time to play. I rarely get past 7-8 seasons in a version on a long term save before buying the next version.

But comments here about FMT have persuaded me to give something a bash I'd written off. Thanks.

FMT would be right up your street. more streamlined, but certainly no less challenging,  match engine is exactly the same as full fat  

3 hours ago, Carninho said:

i went to play FMT over the weekend, but where is it? on FM16 it was launched from the main screen but i cant see it. also in steam when i found FMT it prompted me to buy it. I thought FMT was part of the steam FM17 package that i bought? it not a completely different game this year is it?

You have to download it separately. It comes with the pre-order but it is a separate game.

I still haven't tried FMT and I can't see that happening soon. 

I love the immersion of the full game. I like the fact that it can take me a few months to get through a season. I enjoy the hours spent scouting for players and thinking about tactics on the way home from work. Though I'm lucky, I'm 44 and have no kids. Hence the spare time. I can recommend not becoming a parent. 

I still might dabble with FMT as a 2nd save at some point this season. I have still never managed a full season in that style.

The fact that it's actually a different game now has got me wondering if it might be possible to play a save of each time on the same laptop/pc simultaneously. I've done that in the past with other games so...... interesting, (especially holiday games). 

On 30/10/2016 at 16:25, Ellis_D said:

To get back to the original point, I have never ever played FMT. Not properly anyway.

No, too busy playing IOTP eh? ;)

I have played FMT in the past but not that often because I didn't like the look or the feel of it. I think I did a few of the challenges on it last season and got through them quite quickly, which was a plus, but then soon stopped playing after the challenge was completed because it then didn't provide enough depth to keep my attention.

However, there are still many things in the full game that annoy me so I might give FMT another go this season.

Prefer full FM as the slim version seems to have slimmed too much - e.g. low maximum limit of players that can be loaded (50,000?), can't really feel that 'team building' process (since tactical familiarity starts at 100%)...for some reason I just hate seeing greyed out players.

I finally abandoned the full fat game for FMT in FM15.  About the only thing I miss from the full game is being able to use the editor.  That really is a glaring omission from FMT - the more streamlined feature set makes for faster progress, so it would make FMT ideal for experimenting with different league structures, fantasy teams etc. It's about time this was rectified and FMT could load from an edited database.

For someone who has been playing CM/FM for a very long time, FMT is the version that feels like it carries on with the spirit of the earlier games - the focus is on squad-building and progressing as a club rather than micromanaging your way through every game. The full game has become far too bloated with pointless busywork (interactions, 100s of staff, babysitting players) for my tastes and without FMT coming along, I would probably have given up playing FM altogether.

2 hours ago, Soccer said:

Prefer full FM as the slim version seems to have slimmed too much - e.g. low maximum limit of players that can be loaded (50,000?), can't really feel that 'team building' process (since tactical familiarity starts at 100%)...for some reason I just hate seeing greyed out players.

On the PC you can remove that limit of 50,000 players. You can go over that, it just recommends you to stay within that limit.

Custom db is FM's raison d'etre, so as tempting as the idea of a less time-consuming, more streamlined version of FM can be, nothing can, at the moment, make me quit the "actual" FM.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, FMT is the same as FM full, under the hood... So by taking away some features from the user's control, the game is actually harder to play, or at least is less manageable.
I mean, if team morale is still a key factor for the team's performance, and I have no way to influence it outside the pitch (less press conferences, less, if none, player interaction), it's gonna be more difficult to turn a run of poor form around by sheer motivation...

Basically we have to do the same job with a smaller toolbox.

FM can be frustrating, annoying, a chore at times, but in an odd way, that's part of its charm and of its unmatched success. Plenty of more "user-friendly" and straightforward competitors have tried to capture the same magic and the less hardcore portion of the fanbase... We know how it went for them.

I can see why FMT has its own purpose and target, but it's just not for me. For now.

FMT has more of an arcade feel about it, it is just not realistic enough. Obviously there is the missing interaction with players, which is absolutely vital to me. Even if you do not always get the outcome you want, it is good to have players be unhappy, to spread that unhappiness to team mates, to come to you with problems, etc. This is a key part of how football works.

Another example, having your team instantly adapt to every tactical change you make is a killer for me. Again, it is the lack of realism. I want it to take time to impose a new tactical plan on a team, I want to see them get better at it over time. I want to have to think carefully about which tactic to use in a big game, not just be able to play a 1-3-2-1-2-1 formation I invented on Tuesday to beat Barcelona.

You cannot use edited databases (at least the last time I played you could not), and this means no name changes, no new leagues, no extensions to old leagues, nothing. I never play a game without using some files I have made (or downloaded).

I can understand why the simplified version of the game appeals to some (and not to mention the speed), but I want a full simulation of football. FMT is not that.

Surprised nobody's mentioned lack of large youth intakes to grow, which is one of the fun bits of FM. Ironically in many other respects the stripped-down approach of FMT suits youth-focuses saves which tend to take up a very large number of seasons to achieve your goals: the ability to skip through unimportant matches and reduction of repetitive media/player interaction is perfect for this. But you don't actually get much in the way of youth products...

And the lack of need to get tactical familiarity, whilst great for tactical experimentation, feels like cheating.

Yeah, and I also hate the skin, though I'd probably just  download a different one if FMT was what I really wanted.

28 minutes ago, RBKalle said:

Custom db is FM's raison d'etre, so as tempting as the idea of a less time-consuming, more streamlined version of FM can be, nothing can, at the moment, make me quit the "actual" FM.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, FMT is the same as FM full, under the hood... So by taking away some features from the user's control, the game is actually harder to play, or at least is less manageable.
I mean, if team morale is still a key factor for the team's performance, and I have no way to influence it outside the pitch (less press conferences, less, if none, player interaction), it's gonna be more difficult to turn a run of poor form around by sheer motivation...

Basically we have to do the same job with a smaller toolbox.

FM can be frustrating, annoying, a chore at times, but in an odd way, that's part of its charm and of its unmatched success. Plenty of more "user-friendly" and straightforward competitors have tried to capture the same magic and the less hardcore portion of the fanbase... We know how it went for them.

I can see why FMT has its own purpose and target, but it's just not for me. For now.

I just wanted to comment on that because people still seem to get the wrong idea about FMT.

If you like team talks and find it should be part of the game, then that is what full FM gives you.

If you play FMT you have less team talks and press conferences, and player interaction, which also means there is less effect on morale in FMT. Yes, if you are losing games in a row and morale is low, you cannot use team talks to turn it around but in general the entire morale system and player happiness management is almost a non-factor in FMT.

This will sound ridiculous but the reason I play the full game and not the FMT mode is that the match screen is less cluttered, and with mods etc you can get scoreboards and stuff on it.

I dislike - strongly - the match screen on FMT and don't see a need for you being unable to hide the icons etc.

i would love the time to be able to play the full FM game and love the immersion and depth of how the game feels. i like how you can really build a legacy over a long period of time and get really lost within the game world.

i was still playing FM13 full FM upto few months ago. around 32 seasons on a pompey saves. it used to take me around a month or 2 to get through 1 season on FM, but i loved the detail and micro management.

however times have changed and with work and kids etc i just dont have the time for it.

this is why i will now be switching to FMT17 on a tablet mainly so i can play it to/from work etc.

i was really worried as i had previously bought FM13 and FM14 for the ipad which was effectively the mobile version. it was really really basic and i hated it.

however ive now learnt that FMT17 even on the tablet is the same version as FMT on the PC. sure it still not quite full FM but still seems to have enough for me to enjoy. just waiting on few of these crash bugs to be fixed before i delve in.

any ideas on the following What is max amount of players you can load? (this is specifically for tablets FMT17):

going to buy a new tablet for Xmas and will be looking to dive straight into this.

8 hours ago, enigmatic said:

And the ability to change formations at will without players having to "learn" them is definitely an advantage from playing FMT

thats a big plus for me too, I've played Football Manager/Championship manager since the days of CM9798 and these days the full version is just not fun to play anymore, you can spend 7 hours easy sorting out your squad/staff/set peices etc, it's just too much of a grind. i enjoy playing FMT much more now and i cant see myself ever going back to the full version.

On 11/11/2016 at 00:11, Earnie is God! said:

However, there are still many things in the full game that annoy me so I might give FMT another go this season.

Well, I gave it a go and I have to say that I didn't have the best of times.
I started at my favourite club, Cardiff, but the club is a complete mess with basically three target men to choose from up front, two GK who are crap and next to no money to improve the squad in ways that are really needed. Half of the 1st team is new this season so familiarity is very poor and you really need to hit the ground running which is very difficult to do under the circumstances. Without the extra input you get with full fat FM, I never really got going and was sacked in December with the club just below mid table. A bit harsh I think seeing as the requirement was a top half finish but a run of 4 defeats clearly didn't help.

I can't remember the last time I was sacked tbh, must be the best part of a decade ago now.

I then applied for a number of jobs available, eager to get back into action before the January transfer window, and surprisingly Torino gave me a job. Down in 16th when I took over and the majority of the players were unhappy. Star striker Belotti was adamant he wanted to leave so I decided to cash in to improve the squad overall. Results were mixed and, just as we got near the top 6, we often crashed back down again. Currently 9th with 4 games left.

I think if I played it a lot more, I'd get more used to the way that FMT runs and I could make a proper go of it. Perhaps start with a really good team so I can try out different tactics without risking dropping many points.

As it stands, though, I think I'll return to my comfort zone of full fat FM.

On ‎11‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 00:11, Earnie is God! said:

No, too busy playing IOTP eh? ;)

I have played FMT in the past but not that often because I didn't like the look or the feel of it. I think I did a few of the challenges on it last season and got through them quite quickly, which was a plus, but then soon stopped playing after the challenge was completed because it then didn't provide enough depth to keep my attention.

Lmao, who is this, Bluebirds?!

I've never attempted FM touch, (or classic) and I dont think I ever will. Im happy with the immersion and feel I get from "full fat" FM, and seeing as my pc will still happily run my set up, I've no inclination to change.. 

Tried it once and absolutely hated it. Far too watered down and too much of the regular stuff is missing and I love all the immersion of full fat FM. 

Given the chance and if the opportunity ever came about, I'd choose not to have FMT as an option on my version of FM

Will never ever ever stop playing full fat FM. Period.

Why I considered FMT:
My main issue with full FM is how many times it stops and starts, and my space bar gets a bashing, annoyed that I have to press it 50 times just to get through a match week.
I do what I can to minimise it, as I unsubscribe from most things and go into the preferences and set it for fewest stops but it doesn't seem to help much.
The most annoying part is when it goes to the news section (or social feed as it is in FM17) when I have no interest in it whatsoever and there is no way to stop it from doing so. I mean, I can set bookmarks and a home page as somewhere else but it still goes to the news page most of the time. Great for those who want to read the latest gossip but highly frustrating for people who, like me, couldn't give a flying monkey's which crappy player signs for an even crappier team.

3 hours ago, Earnie is God! said:

My main issue with full FM is how many times it stops and starts, and my space bar gets a bashing, annoyed that I have to press it 50 times just to get through a match week.

Have you looked in Preferences? There's a tick box that (if ticked) will see the game stop less. That might help with the frustration.

6 hours ago, Earnie is God! said:

The most annoying part is when it goes to the news section (or social feed as it is in FM17) when I have no interest in it whatsoever and there is no way to stop it from doing so. I mean, I can set bookmarks and a home page as somewhere else but it still goes to the news page most of the time. Great for those who want to read the latest gossip but highly frustrating for people who, like me, couldn't give a flying monkey's which crappy player signs for an even crappier team.

There is an option in preferences to make it stop doing that (going to news screen automatically). Something to do with screen flow.

Edit - under interface. Untick 'visit news screen automatically'.

@HUNT3R "There's a tick box that (if ticked) will see the game stop less. " Which bit? This is my setup for FM16:

fewer stops FM16.pngfast - less responsive.png

1) I thought the 'continue game timeout' bit and ticking 'have fewer stops' was for network games or am I wrong?
2) The fast (less responsive) option shouldn't really make any difference to what my issue is, should it? Although I notice that the fastest (least responsive) option was removed a number of versions ago, or perhaps they've just been redefined. I thought this option was for whether the other games would run in the background or not.

Is there anything else I should change in my preferences? Apart from......

@Äktsjon Männ 
I didn't realise I could untick 'visit news screen automatically' on FM16. I knew about it on FM17 because many were complaining about the social feed and someone mentioned you could change it in the preferences but I thought that was something new for FM17. My mistake :rolleyes: That should definitely improve things so thanks for that. I'll untick this one:

news screen FM16.png

My setup for FM17 default is similar but with news section not ticked:

fewer stops FM17.pngfast - less responsive FM17.png
news screen FM17.png

Anything else I can do? Thanks

Apologies in advance if this bores anyone and it is slightly off-topic but I'm trying to highlight a disadvantage with playing full fat FM.

2 hours ago, Earnie is God! said:

The fast (less responsive) option shouldn't really make any difference to what my issue is, should it? Although I notice that the fastest (least responsive) option was removed a number of versions ago, or perhaps they've just been redefined. I thought this option was for whether the other games would run in the background or not.

Switching this to slow (play in background) doesn't really do what I thought it would. I checked the online manual and it suggests that if you have a decent processor then you can choose this option " where these matches are processed whilst the user carries out whatever business they wish to." To me, this and the 'play in background' title given in preferences would indicate that these matches would continue to be played throughout a match day, thus not interrupt so much. Well, I was wrong.

Using slow (play in background), these are the number of times I was returned to my inbox. Asterisks in the list below indicate new messages or events, therefore a reasonable reason to go to my inbox (or for my matches). All other times (24hr clock) are when no news or events occur and so no reason to go to inbox. Days in italics were my own matchdays:

Saturday 3rd Nov 2018: 6*, 9, 11, 13, 15*, 17*, 19:45*, 21:45*, 22:00
Sunday 4th: 6*, 9*, 11*, 13, 15, 16:45*, 17, 19
Monday 5th: 6*, 9*, 16*, 17:30, 19
Tuesday 6th: 15*, 17, 19*, 19:45*, 21:30*
Wednesday 7th: 9*, 10, 11*, 14:30*, 17, 19*, 21:45*, 22, 23:45*
Thursday 8th: 9*, 15:15*, 17, 19:45
Friday 9th: 9*, 10, 13*, 15:30*, 18, 19:30*, 21:45*
Saturday 10th: 9*, 11*, 13*, 15, 17*, 19:30*, 21:45*, 22
Sunday 11th: 9*, 11, 12*, 12:30*, 13, 13:30, 14*, 14:30, 15, 15:30, 16, 16:45*
, 18:30*, 19
Monday 12th: 9*, 14*, 16, 19:30
Tuesday 13th: 14*, 16, 19:30

So over the course of 11 days, the game stopped 76 times and 32 of those were for no reason. Sunday 11th was ridiculous, stopping every 30min from noon until 4pm.

I then switched to fast (less responsive) for the next 5 days and got this:

Wednesday 14th: no stoppages
Thursday 15th: 16:45*
Friday 16th: 9*
Saturday 17th: 9*
Sunday 18th: 9*, 23:45*

Now that looks a lot better as it only stopped and took me to my inbox when there were messages, but it was an international break so perhaps not that comparable.
So I went back and reloaded my save, which was last saved on Thursday 8th, and I reran the save using fast (less responsive), as highlighted in bold above, up to my match on the Sunday at 16:45.
This is what I got:

Thursday 8th: 9*, 14*
Friday 9th: 9*, 19:30*, 21:45*
Saturday 10th: 17*, 21:45*
Sunday 11th: 9*, 12:30*, 14*, 16:45*

Excellent. Very few stoppages, all of them relevant and none of the ludicrous 30min stops on the Sunday.
Finally, my issue has been resolved, or at least so it seems. I can't believe I've been playing FM for well over a decade and only now, with the help of some of you and my own trials and tests, have I found how to fix the problem.

Many will probably already know how to do this but for anyone else who has had the same issue as I have and not been able to resolve it, the solution:
1) Untick 'visit news screen automatically' in preferences >>> interface >>> screen flow
2) Choose 'fast (less responsive)' for "speed to process other teams' matches" in the processing part of preferences >>> match

Interesting stats given the thread

Peak time Sunday night UK -

People playing Football Manager 17 - 58257

People playing Football Manager 16 - 24543

People playing Football Manager 15 -7859

People playing Football Manager Touch - 1283

So it looks like it remains a mode that is hardly played.

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/11/2016 at 10:11, Earnie is God! said:

Indeed :)
I returned to IOTP recently after a few years away and nothing has changed at all. No surprise there.

I often think about going back to the game. No doubt I will one day. Once or twice a year or so, I have a read of the forums and see what's happening. It's a shame the game never got any updates because it could have been something special had it remained relevant.

Anyway, hope you and your family are well mate.

Archived