Football Manager 2017 Release Date and Pre Purchase Details Announced

• Replies 964
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, MangerdWanlar said:

Who cares about the stadium? If you want realistic stadium play FIFA/PES és complian about the graphics.

FM is not about graphics! (I enjoyed very much when only commentary was available. We were shouting at the flashing colours :D )

Stadium would be the last thing to develop in this game, cherry on the cake. But the cake is half-baked :)

That's not about graphics. It's about atmosphere, realism.

Anyway, different people do different things, so SI doesn't have to choose (too much) what to improve.

Also, will we get more info before the end of the loyalty campaign? I've been buying the game for almost 20 years now, but that doesn't mean I'm willing to spend money on something I know nothing about.

24 minutes ago, forameuss said:

But you probably won't spend hundreds of hours looking at it if you know it's raw inside.

I doubt you really feel the game is 'raw inside'. You wouldn't bother to post 9000+ messages on this forum if you didn't like the game I take it. But then again, they could all be complaints off course.  ;-)

17 minutes ago, ommerson said:

I doubt you really feel the game is 'raw inside'. You wouldn't bother to post 9000+ messages on this forum if you didn't like the game I take it. But then again, they could all be complaints off course.  ;-)

It was hyperbole meant in humour.  Would've thought that was pretty obvious.

So far I am happy with the features revealed.

For me there is difference of opinions when regarding this game. Some people like the idea of (including me) small changes each year to improve on what is already a fantastic game. For example the feature that got me the most excited was (I know it sounds stupid) was the away fan numbers in the attendances. Being a stat geek I loved that feature when it came up. In my opinion they should just focus on changing the "behind the scenes" aspect of the game like the AI Squad building, better gameplay when the matches are on, training and making things more realistic by adding little features etc. 

Then there are those that would like more changes year in year out to justify the £30 spend each year on the new game. Which they are not wrong to think that. I have a mate who said to me "why pay that much for "small changes to improve the game each year?", and he has a point that I cannot argue, but to me the game itself is good enough for the spend but he would like more each year to pay that amount of money. 

Because of this SI have to try and accommodate both types of customers and it almost seems a conflict of interest with each new feature every year. For example I think the manager avatar was a waste of time and development which could have been spent on other, more important, areas of the game. Some loved it though!

I would love SI to create a game that is subscription based. A yearly fee of £30 odd and what happens is you have FM and they update it each year/half a year. The more they update the better the game will get without having to re-do the game every year. This would also stop the time where you cannot get into a save just before the new version is released. Although I bet there is more to it than just doing that. What do I know? 

What are peoples thoughts on this?

3 hours ago, samrnpage said:

I would love SI to create a game that is subscription based. A yearly fee of £30 odd and what happens is you have FM and they update it each year/half a year. The more they update the better the game will get without having to re-do the game every year. This would also stop the time where you cannot get into a save just before the new version is released. Although I bet there is more to it than just doing that. What do I know? 

So once a year you give them £30, and they update it each year?  That sounds familiar...

It's never going to happen.  Constants are often hard to say with certainty, but not this one.  There is absolutely nothing wrong with the way they release the game, and I don't see any real benefit to them going subscription based, either from a customer or an SI perspective.

4 hours ago, samrnpage said:

For me there is difference of opinions when regarding this game. Some people like the idea of (including me) small changes each year to improve on what is already a fantastic game. For example the feature that got me the most excited was (I know it sounds stupid) was the away fan numbers in the attendances. Being a stat geek I loved that feature when it came up. In my opinion they should just focus on changing the "behind the scenes" aspect of the game like the AI Squad building, better gameplay when the matches are on, training and making things more realistic by adding little features etc. 

Then there are those that would like more changes year in year out to justify the £30 spend each year on the new game. Which they are not wrong to think that. I have a mate who said to me "why pay that much for "small changes to improve the game each year?", and he has a point that I cannot argue, but to me the game itself is good enough for the spend but he would like more each year to pay that amount of money. 

Because of this SI have to try and accommodate both types of customers and it almost seems a conflict of interest with each new feature every year. For example I think the manager avatar was a waste of time and development which could have been spent on other, more important, areas of the game. Some loved it though!

So.....hows that any different than just buying it every year ?

8 hours ago, samrnpage said:

I'll refrain from jumping on the bandwagon the others have started here and mocking the idea... and simply state that the idea of just continually improving and adding upon a base game and code year on year can only go so far..

Code gets outdated and a game needs to start from the ground up occasionally... as it is, SI don't do this very often, they will add and change and develop existing code, as you suggest to create the new game every year, so it is pretty much exactly as you envisage already.  

9 hours ago, gabrielsousapinho said:

Hello! Is it true that FM 2017 won`t come to south america? I`m trying to pre purchase the game on Steam and they say it`s not posible. I always play it in English so language is not a problem! Many Brazilian fans, like me, are waiting for the game! Please, make it available for us too!

I think you can ask a friend buy a steam gift in different country then send it to you.

47 minutes ago, Ross Ingersoll said:

I actually like the graphics getting better, I do understand some of you still use the commentary but that doesnt mean everyone does. Not to mention they want new people to buy the game and like it or not all the shiny stuff attracts people. 

I don't think many of us use "only commentary" (maybe for speed save or friendly, but I really don't think so)

But many (I think most of the hardcore FM players) use 2D mode, as that's the best way to see your (and opponent) tactic's problems/weakness/positions/movements etc.

To be honest FM graphic is not the way to attact new players :) (although most gamers pay less attention to graphics, there are "standards" in 2016-17 to meet in shiny stuff and FM is nowhere near. And I think it doesn't need to be near that standard to be a great game, as its greatest is not from its beauty!!!! :) )

47 minutes ago, Ross Ingersoll said:

I actually like the graphics getting better, I do understand some of you still use the commentary but that doesnt mean everyone does. Not to mention they want new people to buy the game and like it or not all the shiny stuff attracts people. 

I dont think any body use only commentary for the game. Most of players (including myself) still really like to play with only 2D (3D only for goal replay). But if they can improve 3D graphics many will change to it for sure.

4 minutes ago, rooneyviet said:

I dont think any body use only commentary for the game. Most of players (including myself) still really like to play with only 2D (3D only for goal replay). But if they can improve 3D graphics many will change to it for sure.

Bit of a sweeping statement to make.  I often do.

Never use commentary on it's own, especially with the other available options. Moved on from that a long time ago: as my imagination lost it's way! Must be something to do with my spatial awareness or lack thereof. Commentary coupled with 3D is what I mainly use.

Whilst mainly using 3D, could they improve on 2D? I find the little dots/discs or whatever they are, to uninspiring to look at. But I see the logic in saying that it is better to see how the game/teams play out. Not that 3d is overwhelming but I like the idea of seeing the players play!

Also, If I could see a link between the new prozone and the 2d/3d, in that you can pin point weak areas and watch them play out: that would help me gain a deeper understanding. Currently it confuses me as I am not that savvy on prozone interpretation.

As always looking forward to FM.....

11 hours ago, MangerdWanlar said:

I don't think many of us use "only commentary" (maybe for speed save or friendly, but I really don't think so)

But many (I think most of the hardcore FM players) use 2D mode, as that's the best way to see your (and opponent) tactic's problems/weakness/positions/movements etc.

To be honest FM graphic is not the way to attact new players :) (although most gamers pay less attention to graphics, there are "standards" in 2016-17 to meet in shiny stuff and FM is nowhere near. And I think it doesn't need to be near that standard to be a great game, as its greatest is not from its beauty!!!! :) )

10 hours ago, rooneyviet said:

Sorry to disappoint you guys but I for one always use 3d on comprehensive highlights and have done since it was introduced in FM09.

I have no problem with others using 2d but to say 2d is the best way to evaluate tactics is wrong.  You have access to plenty of wide angle cameras which show much of the pitch as well as the radar widget which is essentially a scaled down version of the 2d.

On 20/09/2016 at 15:48, gabrielsousapinho said:

Hello! Is it true that FM 2017 won`t come to south america? I`m trying to pre purchase the game on Steam and they say it`s not posible. I always play it in English so language is not a problem! Many Brazilian fans, like me, are waiting for the game! Please, make it available for us too!

On 20/09/2016 at 18:12, Welshace said:

Pre purchase is not available in Brazil currently.. and that's the only thing to be said about it..

@gabrielsousapinho Well I hope is just the "pre purchase, @Welshace, and be possible buy in the launching.

21 hours ago, rooneyviet said:

I think you can ask a friend buy a steam gift in different country then send it to you.

I hope be possible to active the game, but I doubt. 

I personally use 2D because not only does it give me an aerial view of tactics which is easier to figure out, it's also less stressing for my laptop.

But yeah you get a similar view with some of the 3D cameras, and I don't expect "most players" to do the same as I do. I'd think most use 3D...

• Administrators
6 hours ago, rooneyviet said:

I ask the question here, and the mod says you can active the game anywhere, just can't purchase directly.

Nothing has been announced in regards to anything like this for FM17 so I would wait until further information is officially announced. Anything else mentioned at this stage is just speculation. 

2 hours ago, Neil Brock said:

Nothing has been announced in regards to anything like this for FM17 so I would wait until further information is officially announced. Anything else mentioned at this stage is just speculation. 

speculation? Is it time to pre-order, isn't it? And I think in the main page facebook Football Manager answering fans that Brazil or Japan or some countries can't sell there because of legal reasons or something?

I already bought the game, please dont tell me that I can't play in Japan :-s.

Seems to me that SI is getting too cocky about this game. They seem to think that no matter-what, the hardcore fans will still buy the game. But with this behaviour, i'm not going to even consider buying this game, until i see that 9.9 out of 10 feedbacks are positive.

They announce the release date, and pre-purchase details 3 months prior of the game launching, based on it's name only. 0 new features/changes announced.

Then, 1 month pior to the launch, we still have absolutely 0 news about it. That teaser-trailer is so lame, like, really, is this game turning into a block-buster movie so that we need to have teasers ?

And the most funny thing is, i actually care less about new features, as i care about ME + AI improvements. But guess what ? Those two are always in the hands of customers having to dig through dozens of problems until late Feb/March next year, when we go the same cycle again :

Spring: Start working on next edition UI, move one button from a corner to another and call it a new feature

Summer: Add some new "shiny" features

Autumn: launch-date > tons of ME/AI bugs 

Winter/Spring: Actually start working on improving ME, release 1,2 patches > sorry we can't fix that in this edition, come back next year > and again from scratch

Yours sincerely,

A former, CM3, hardcore player.

Alexivan, gaming inovation is hardly something that cannot be without any bugs. Even if you develop the game for 3 years, there are bugs bound to appear. Perfection in the software industry doesn't exists.

What I do agree, is that the marketing this year, for me I consider to be one of the worst ones, because I liked the daily announcements they made a few years ago on these forums. Last year was okay, but didn't like it to have to go to twitter to see the announcements daily.

Regardless of what i think, I simply need to accept that SI or whomever decides such marketing strategies, decided that this year the announcements should be made this way. For me the teaser, was not enough to get me exited about FM17, but for others they liked the teaser. Everyone is entitle of their opinion and mine the teaser doesn't make me want to go and push the buy button.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, rooneyviet said:

speculation? Is it time to pre-order, isn't it? And I think in the main page facebook Football Manager answering fans that Brazil or Japan or some countries can't sell there because of legal reasons or something?

I already bought the game, please dont tell me that I can't play in Japan :-s.

I'd suggest contacting Sega support at help@sega.co.uk for clarification. Thanks. 

19 hours ago, Neil Brock said:

I'd suggest contacting Sega support at help@sega.co.uk for clarification. Thanks. 

So... I followed your advice...

And here is the answer:

Dear Customer,

Thank you for contacting SEGA Customer Support.

Unfortunately, we don't have any information regarding your question.

For this kind of question I would recommend to raise your concerns on the developers’ forums:

<http://community.sigames.com/index.php>

As the forums are monitored constantly by the developers they will be able to answer your concerns but it will also give the opportunity to the rest of the community to discuss these issues /questions.

We are sincerely sorry for the inconvenience but we cannot assist you further on this occasion.

I asked here you say I should I there, I asked there they say I should ask here :|.
So... when can I know the answer? Because in around 6-7th Oct I will come to Japan and stays there for about a year.

2 hours ago, Neil Brock said:

Okay fair enough rooneyviet. The game is currently not available to pre-order in Japan, however if it was bought and activated elsewhere you should have no issues. 

thanks. I thought the same, it should be that. but just to make sure :D. thanks anyway.

On 22/09/2016 at 14:43, Alexivan said:

But with this behaviour, i'm not going to even consider buying this game, until i see that 9.9 out of 10 feedbacks are positive.

When there's a free demo available, I just can't understand why people would rely on the opinions of others rather than try it for themselves. 

8 minutes ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

When there's a free demo available, I just can't understand why people would rely on the opinions of others rather than try it for themselves. 

Because why do anything for yourself when you can just jump on someone else's bandwagon and get outraged?

On 21/09/2016 at 23:36, Cougar2010 said:

Sorry to disappoint you guys but I for one always use 3d on comprehensive highlights and have done since it was introduced in FM09.

I have no problem with others using 2d but to say 2d is the best way to evaluate tactics is wrong.  You have access to plenty of wide angle cameras which show much of the pitch as well as the radar widget which is essentially a scaled down version of the 2d.

3D & full match for me, sometimes I'll drop to comprehensive for cup matches that I do not care for or once my end of season league position cannot change but even then it's rare as I might want to see how a few fringe players or young prospect perform.

I would agree that 2D is better for seeing the bigger tactical picture but as an old school LLM player my approach is always about playing FM as realistically as the game allows so that means 3D. Might start using replays for FM17 as that more close up camera in the teaser looks really nice & if Miles' tweets are to be believed those highlights render on a mid range machine so I'm  hopefully of even more detail on the higher settings & maybe one day can realise the dream of a VR view of even an AR view that I can use when walking the dog over the local park.

On 9/19/2016 at 18:47, Dagenham_Dave said:

Probably never happening, but the only real new feature UI/Graphic wise I'd like to see would be a stadium editor, then the people who are good at modding these things could get to work and remodel the vanilla stadiums, which in FM16 took a step even further back from reality. I know SI don't have the licenses, but they could at least get the basic design of a lot of the stadiums closer. They managed it in older games, particularly lower league stadiums. 

this would be totally amazing... I also wish we had more "track field stadiums", all the current ones look like English style stadiums 

14 hours ago, Barside said:

3D & full match for me, sometimes I'll drop to comprehensive for cup matches that I do not care for or once my end of season league position cannot change but even then it's rare as I might want to see how a few fringe players or young prospect perform.

I would agree that 2D is better for seeing the bigger tactical picture but as an old school LLM player my approach is always about playing FM as realistically as the game allows so that means 3D. Might start using replays for FM17 as that more close up camera in the teaser looks really nice & if Miles' tweets are to be believed those highlights render on a mid range machine so I'm  hopefully of even more detail on the higher settings & maybe one day can realise the dream of a VR view of even an AR view that I can use when walking the dog over the local park.

3D and full match for me too, but I do use 2D post match

I really like that SI are working on the 3d engine. For me it really helps for immersion purposes. I would say that immersion levels have been steadily rising aprox 3-7% with each new verson for years now, and that is partly because of a better looking 3d engine. Now if they could only do something with that horrible sound.....

When will SI finally be implementing silverware celebrations? I mean, my team wins the Champions League and all I see is some cheap confetti flying around. When I watch finals on TV, I stick around after the game to see the winning team celebrate. 

To have the option to pre-order a game, without knowing any info about it (new features, improvements and so on) is basically unheard of. You are pushed to preorder it (with various offers), even though you don't know anything about it. This only can occur when there isn't any competition around, SI isn't forced to push harder for new features and overhaul the game when they know they don't have a competitor. 

I'm very dissapointed with the marketing of this year's edition, which was bound to be the one with major new features (overhaul and so on), given the fact that in every 2 years we saw that, i'm a long-time fan of the series (over 10 years of playing it), but this year i'm seriously holding up in buying the game (FM 16 and it's broken ME has a contribution to it). So i'll wait to see how the other users are enjoying the game before buying it.

3 minutes ago, Georgik said:

To have the option to pre-order a game, without knowing any info about it (new features, improvements and so on) is basically unheard of. You are pushed to preorder it (with various offers), even though you don't know anything about it. This only can occur when there isn't any competition around, SI isn't forced to push harder for new features and overhaul the game when they know they don't have a competitor. 

I'm very dissapointed with the marketing of this year's edition, which was bound to be the one with major new features (overhaul and so on), given the fact that in every 2 years we saw that, i'm a long-time fan of the series (over 10 years of playing it), but this year i'm seriously holding up in buying the game (FM 16 and it's broken ME has a contribution to it). So i'll wait to see how the other users are enjoying the game before buying it.

I have only one question. Will we receive more info about the features before the loyalty offer expires?

29 minutes ago, Georgik said:

No it isn't.  It's not new in the games industry, whether it's right or wrong.

You're not pushed to pre-order it.  You have the option, incentivised via the loyalty offer.

It can occur whenever a developer wants it to.  Don't trot out the "no competition" argument again.

And for all the furore, it's clear that some people have taken advantage of the offer.  An absolute non-issue.

You're braver than me.  I purchased everyone of the original versions right up until CM03/04 (still my favourite interface).  I then took a break before purchasing FM09 and I've purchased every version since.

I almost didn't purchase FM16 because I thought FM15 was a broken product after the final patch.  But I caved because I needed my FM fix.  Only problem is FM16 was also a broken product after the final patch.

Which leaves me with a dilemma.  I want my FM fix but it's pointless going back to FM16.  But I am just not sure if I have it in me to waste more money on a product that may be flawed from release to end of life support (all in under 12 months!).

I'm not bothered about new features.  I just want the game fixed.  Especially with regards to lower league management, the fact you need so many coaches, the player ratings not reflecting what you can visually see when you watch the match etc.  Any new features I want are to break current flaws, like Assistant Managers following Managers to new clubs etc.  I'd also like SI to let us DB modders into what the non-player stats mean and ideally work out the CA for us like the editor does for the players or tell us what the relationship status actually does from a game mechanics perspective.  But these are things that should have been addressed versions ago so I am not holding much hope.

Ironically the more features they announce, the less likely I am to purchase the game.  For me fixing the flawed core game is far more important than add extra features.  Reminds me of my old mechanic who told me every time the car manufacturers add new features to their model all they are actually doing is adding more things to go wrong......

I've preordered on Steam, I normally hunt around for a better deal at other sites but I was pretty happy with the 20% discount offered this year.

Overall I'm just happy to keep supporting the product with a yearly investment, sure FM usually has a few flaws but year on year I still keep enjoying it and I want it to stick around. 

You don't know how good you've got it until something is no longer around, the world would be a much sadder place without FM, flaws and all nothing else comes close. 

On 9/27/2016 at 09:59, sufcdan said:

is there a thread with the cheapest offers to buy the game? 

There is one every year. But I think we are still a little way out before various retailers start laying down prices. I will have a look on sunday if no one has started one by then, see if there are any prices floating about. And if you see some yourself, feel free to start a thread.

Archived