England - Euro 2016 Thread

Djstu23

Whilst I understandable the need to try different players out in friendlies rather than the usual squad, they should be players who have a genuine chance of going to the next tournment.

In all honesty, what would Lingard need to do (or, how many players would need to drop out) before he was even considered for the national side? Chances are he'll get a 5 minute cameo at the end where he doesn't touch the ball, rendering his debut and call-up pointless.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Think JWP needs to move to United to get a callup then if Lingard only need a few starts for United. Granted, I'm happy for Lingard as a United fan, but for the good of the game, there are better performing players in the league and more deserving ones. Might as well call James Wilson up as he has more appearances for United in his career.

Whilst I understandable the need to try different players out in friendlies rather than the usual squad, they should be players who have a genuine chance of going to the next tournment.

If Lingard keeps playing regularly for United then I don't see any reason why he wouldn't be in with a genuine, deserved chance of going to the Euros. It's a big if, but he's done well enough so far.

Who would you drop for Lingard?

England or United?

At United he seems to be LVG's first choice at LW. As for England, not sure, but if he continues as he does then I guess it'll be between him, Chamberlain and Welbeck (if he ever recovers) for that final wide spot.

I can only assume Lingard has been called up because of Neville. He must have told Roy, what Giggs may have told him, which could be something like "This kid is real special", so Roy wants a closer look in training probably to see if he's actually all that.

Can be the only reason, otherwise Albrighton, Zaha and Redmond all deserve a nod over him.

If Lingard keeps playing regularly for United then I don't see any reason why he wouldn't be in with a genuine, deserved chance of going to the Euros. It's a big if, but he's done well enough so far.

Valid point, but he hasn't done anything so far to warrant a call up at this stage even if he's looked good in the minutes he's played.

Think JWP needs to move to United to get a callup then if Lingard only need a few starts for United. Granted, I'm happy for Lingard as a United fan, but for the good of the game, there are better performing players in the league and more deserving ones. Might as well call James Wilson up as he has more appearances for United in his career.

What's with the JWP mention?

England or United?

At United he seems to be LVG's first choice at LW. As for England, not sure, but if he continues as he does then I guess it'll be between him, Chamberlain and Welbeck (if he ever recovers) for that final wide spot.

Two players who're significantly better than him, especially Welbeck who's a real performer for England.

England or United?

If they're fit, Chamberlain and Welbeck will both go to the Euros.

The FA state on Twitter "Print deadlines mean tonight's programme does not refer to the tragic events in Paris. We apologise if any content is deemed inappropriate."

How embarrassing, surely they could have sorted something.

The FA state on Twitter "Print deadlines mean tonight's programme does not refer to the tragic events in Paris. We apologise if any content is deemed inappropriate."

How embarrassing, surely they could have sorted something.

How? When you print 90,000 programmes, with no confirmation the game is going ahead until Saturday evening, you couldn't even begin to make any changes until Sunday morning, but the printers would have had the 90K planned in to their systems for a while, and any change to that would end up missing the game entirely. I would assume. Not exactly sure what you think the FA could have done in the space of 3 days to impact 90,000 programmes.

How? When you print 90,000 programmes, with no confirmation the game is going ahead until Saturday evening, you couldn't even begin to make any changes until Sunday morning, but the printers would have had the 90K planned in to their systems for a while, and any change to that would end up missing the game entirely. I would assume. Not exactly sure what you think the FA could have done in the space of 3 days to impact 90,000 programmes.

If a newspaper can print a new edition several times through the night, the FA can *pay* to have programmes reprinted.

I suspect the problem is the word *pay*.

Pretty shoddy, but what you come to expect in "value" obsessed Britain.

If a newspaper can print a new edition several times through the night, the FA can *pay* to have programmes reprinted.

Exactly this. As England's last game was on the same night should we also assume that the programme won't contain anything on that either? As they didn't have time to write up anything then get it printed?

- England fans are asked to respect the French national anthem, La Marseillaise, the words of which will be displayed on screens inside the arena

- La Marseillaise will be sung after God Save the Queen, in a change of protocols

- Materials will be on seats in the east side (England Home End) of the stadium, which will form the French Tricolore when fans hold them aloft during the anthem

- A minute's silence will be observed prior to kick-off

- Please ensure that you take your seats no later than 19.55 to observe the minute’s silence and national anthems

- Both teams will wear black armbands during the game

- The England team will make a gesture of solidarity to the French team prior to kick-off

but omg the programs!

Not upset, more frustrated how penny wise pound foolish the UK has become. But I suppose that's a topic for another thread. The "We apologise if any content is deemed inappropriate" sentence is lazy and damning at the same time and suggests a real lack of respect. They know the fans will still flood through so why bother eh?

Such a nothing thing to be upset over :D

Exactly. Who freaking cares about the programs. It's not like they're recommending taking in a concert in Paris or something that can be taken as insensitive, it's just a program and they are stating it won't mention anything about the attacks

I read earlier that ITV won't be going to adverts before the game starts ... that's deep, what a sacrifice. That's up there with Kay Burley's sad dog as an example of the sadness they're feeling ;)

I await the media storm tomorrow morning "OMG, they said Paris is a lovely place to visit ... WHAT ABOUT THE ATTACKS"!!! Everyone has to fall over themselves to be more offended that the previous guy. 'Like' if you hate terrorists!!! Retweet, change your profile picture to a French flag ... how can I express how much I disaprove of all this stuff by clicking some buttons!

Sterling down the wing with explosive pace ... oh no, they said explosive! At a time like this. Kick the commentator out of football, kick Sterling out as well. How insensitive!!!

And this is the sort of pretty shoddy post you can expect in an "outraged about everything" internet forum :rolleyes:

If the FA really cared, they would have:

- Cancelled all the England fans' tickets, letting in only 90,000 French passport holders

- Made England play in France' away kit

- Painted the pitch red, white and blue

But they didn't, so they must be on the terrorists' side.

Nope we don't seem to be able to do set pieces anymore.

Anyway, HT 1-0 and I think we'll take that. Could be more in the second half as a lot of the French team don't really seem like they want to be there (with good reason), Lloris in particular. There will be changes in the French squad at half time.

Archived