Football Manager 14 Feedback Thread - 14.1.4

Sorry. What's your problem? :)

I don't want the most of woodwork to go in. I'm just saying 5 woodwork per match it's a bitter too high ratio. And what exactly makes you think a fix would drive the ball high or wide and not in goal? Are you a developer?

Because a shot that hits the woodwork is essentially a miss, I suspect its the games way of telling you that it was close but ultimately not a goal.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
For instance, my player set to challenge keeper is challenging his own keeper from attacking free kicks , full backs revert to default instructions on corners (back if needed) rather than my customised instructions- for example.

Apologies for the slow reply. I believe that specific example (which is a bit special :D) is a known issue that wasn't included in this update, but we can hope to see progress here whenever the next update is released.

Well yesterday was a good day, puppy didnt poop in the house and a new FM update :)

So far looks decent, defenders engage better, full backs close down better, there seems to be a bit more variety in the attacks again and the near post corner thing is gone. Ill play a bit more tonight and come up with anything negative i can to counter this happy post.

On top of that I bet my bottom dollar he has been at Newcastle from the start grooming these Physical and Mental monsters to worship the ground he walks on. In 6 years a seasoned player like him will have cut all the rift raft and made a side that are capable of winning every competition they enter in to. He will have a 11 Model Citzens (ok maybe just professionals) who are all friends, can run faster than Bolt and who can out muscle a Rhino.

Thats nonsense. He posted the attributes of every single player and they are good (certainly not average) but no physical monsters and no Bolts. Normal good players, goalkeeper handling 15, sweeper jumping 15, striker pace 15 and so on.

Guest El Payaso

Anyone else noticed that keepers' long kicks create loads of scoring chances as most of the time there's only one player going for those long balls?

Thats nonsense. He posted the attributes of every single player and they are good (certainly not average) but no physical monsters and no Bolts. Normal good players, goalkeeper handling 15, sweeper jumping 15, striker pace 15 and so on.

I agree. What I said was:

Have you read the thread?

Some of those newgens are pretty average to be fair.

Some are very good, but there are certainly some unexceptional players there, so perhaps Ackter should be given credit for building and developing a very effective tactic....?

On the first page of his thread he has 8 yes EIGHT players 15+ Pace. They are in his first 11. Add that with the great mental and personality traits of these physical beasts and you have a team that is pretty awesome. His three main defenders have concentration, positioning, marking and tackling of Greek Gods also. No wonder the horrible AI squads cant score when you tie that in to the fact his Newcastle teams Reputation. He is World Champs! The oppossing teams are all probably playing defensive against him anyway.

Do you not know how this game works? Nonsense haha

Have you read his thread RTHerringbone? If we are being fair then you must look at the time period these games are being played in. 2019 Ackter is in. Thats 6 years nearly of bad (I mean BAD) AI squad building. On top of that I bet my bottom dollar he has been at Newcastle from the start grooming these Physical and Mental monsters to worship the ground he walks on. In 6 years a seasoned player like him will have cut all the rift raft and made a side that are capable of winning every competition they enter in to. He will have a 11 Model Citzens (ok maybe just professionals) who are all friends, can run faster than Bolt and who can out muscle a Rhino.

I have read his thread and looked at what the pictures tell me about the hidden attributes of his players. Average is a gross understatement.

Haha thank you i probably wouldn't have said it exactly like that but it means I don't have to reply now!

Apologies for the slow reply. I believe that specific example (which is a bit special :D) is a known issue that wasn't included in this update, but we can hope to see progress here whenever the next update is released.

No need to apologise for the lateness, thanks for the update and the previous tip left by some one else is providing a better execution of my specific instructions although still not perfect.

On the first page of his thread he has 8 yes EIGHT players 15+ Pace. They are in his first 11. Add that with the great mental and personality traits of these physical beasts and you have a team that is pretty awesome. His three main defenders have concentration, positioning, marking and tackling of Greek Gods also.

Im not talking about a first page but about the players he used to get the posted results. In his first 11 there are THREE players with pace more than 14. Not 8. He doesnt even play with 3 central defenders but one and his positioning and concentration is 15. If you call that Greek God, okay. But you are making the mistake that anyone here can look himself in the thread and can easily see the truth.

Im not talking about a first page but about the players he used to get the posted results. In his first 11 there are THREE players with pace more than 14. Not 8. He doesnt even play with 3 central defenders but one and his positioning and concentration is 15. If you call that Greek God, okay. But you are making the mistake that anyone here can look himself in the thread and can easily see the truth.

Correct again.

Anyway, enough about Ackter's tactical experimentation now, and back to the feedback please everybody.

Am i the only one that thinks the game is slowed down by constantly coming out of the loading screen just to see news that doesn't matter? There's a 2 week break for internationals and i'm constantly having to scroll through news that i'm not massively interested in or that doesn't require my instant attention.

FM14 has the massive loading screen and the little news ticker so if you see anything that you want to respond to you can just hit the 'browse' button. Either that or we could have options in the news feed section where we can rate things so if someone gets injured or a transfer comes in the game automatically returns, but if it's just news from internationals then the days continue on until something decent comes up or it's match time.

I have no idea why you would make things up when the thread is there to be checked.

Its worth noting he is also playing an attacking mid as a right wing back, a player with very little defensive qualities, his only really two good players are his sweeper and his attacking mid.

Am i the only one that thinks the game is slowed down by constantly coming out of the loading screen just to see news that doesn't matter? There's a 2 week break for internationals and i'm constantly having to scroll through news that i'm not massively interested in or that doesn't require my instant attention.

FM14 has the massive loading screen and the little news ticker so if you see anything that you want to respond to you can just hit the 'browse' button. Either that or we could have options in the news feed section where we can rate things so if someone gets injured or a transfer comes in the game automatically returns, but if it's just news from internationals then the days continue on until something decent comes up or it's match time.

Just take all international competitions & countries off your subscriptions. This should work?

New update is not game save compatible for me. I have just tried to load a previous saved game using the new update/patch. There is not any saved game and I am returned to the start a new game screen. All of my previous edits, team names, kits, faces, logos and FM dark skin have gone.

Am I the only one or have I done something wrong? Can anyone assist, please?

New update is not game save compatible for me. I have just tried to load a previous saved game using the new update/patch. There is not any saved game and I am returned to the start a new game screen. All of my previous edits, team names, kits, faces, logos and FM dark skin have gone.

Am I the only one or have I done something wrong? Can anyone assist, please?

Are you using load last saved game or load game? use the latter to manually select. It could well be that your preferences have defaulted, so you would need to untick skin caching ( I think its called that, sorry not at FM computer) and tick reload skin on confirm (again cant confirm the wording as I'm not on)

Let me know what you find

This is a big improvement. The match engine is generally excellent now. The one issue I have made out so far is that the woodwork is being hit too frequently. I'd be interested to hear if others have found the same. I also still think there are slightly too few goals in leagues not played in full detail, but not by so much that it's a game breaker. Good work.

The woodwork-bug if we can call it that, was not fixed in this update.

I see the bug where a defender passes back to keeper only for the keeper to run in a different direction has yet to be fixed. Frustrating.

Yeah I'm giving up with 3D. Animations are comical. Keepers doing crazy stuff, midfielders running away from the ball. Really awful stuff this. Will go with the ignorance is bliss approach that 2D gives you.

ajw10 - you have been invited to post in the Tactics Forum, which you did, but you haven't then responded in that thread to questions asking for more detail.

This ME is a significant improvement from 14.1.3, and I personally don't see any significant issues in the MC line, or with goalkeepers.

Perhaps if you could update the thread now that you have played with the update, the help that has been offered can be provided?

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/375214-Barnet-4-3-3

As I said, I'll post in there when I play my Barnet save next.

The keeper thing is definitely a bug. I posted it in the bug forum ages ago and it was confirmed as such.

The other things I don't think are bugs, I just think it's poor animation which doesn't help people's perceptions of bugs. I've just seen my midfielder run towards the ball, stop and then run over it. The commentary praises the great skill of the opposition player (who was standing next to mine) which leads me to believe that it's an animation issue.

As I said, I'll post in there when I play my Barnet save next.

The keeper thing is definitely a bug. I posted it in the bug forum ages ago and it was confirmed as such.

The other things I don't think are bugs, I just think it's poor animation which doesn't help people's perceptions of bugs. I've just seen my midfielder run towards the ball, stop and then run over it. The commentary praises the great skill of the opposition player (who was standing next to mine) which leads me to believe that it's an animation issue.

Ah, my apologies, I thought you were implying that these were all ME issues!

I agree that some keeper animations look a little odd on occasions, but I've not seen anything which sounds like what you've seen in midfield.

As with any type of bug, if you can upload a .pkm or two to the Bugs Forum of animations that you think are inappropriate or misleading, that would be a great help to get these sort of issues resolved in a later update :thup:

Overall the ME is now better, except my goalkeeper is now a disaster. On previous version I didn't had my goalie sent off because of handling the ball outside area, so I didn't had any problem with keepers, but now, I concede stupid goals because of his mistakes. And yes, I get a lot of injuryes, some in matches, but most of them are from training. I'm keeping my team training on balanced and average, while every player have it's own training.

First impressions are that I'm having to work a lot harder on my tactics post-update. I was playing quite well before it, but had some absolutely stinking results last night. No complaints though - this feels a lot more realistic now, and the wins are all the more satisfying when they come.

Board wants team to play attacking, possession based football. No problems with attacking side of things - bar has been at 100% for long time now. However, despite playing possession based game and averaging 60% possession over last 13 games the possession bar never moves - seems to be stuck at 50% whenever I go to check on board confidence. According to the board "we have seen signs of an attempt to play a possession based game and whilst it may suffice for now, it would be a disappointment were it not to improve." What on earth do you need to average, in terms of possession, to improve things as an average of 60% obviously isnt good enough!

Oh and as a football coach in real life with more qualifications than most of you have played a full FM game :rolleyes: let me point out that an attempt on goal that hits the post is... off target. So in the fix don't go expecting your team to score more goals. :herman:

;)

Thanks for reminding me of this: I'm pretty sure in my first 14.1.4 match yesterday I saw my first shot hitting the woodwork and counted as on target. I'll need to keep an eye on that.

No need to pick on OP, all he wants is a more realistic number of woodwork shots (on both sides). Not that all the shots go in instead. SI has already acknowledged that this still is a problem and will be fixed in the future.

• Administrators
Now, the main course - Do SI plan to update the Demo? If yes, when? Or should I assume that no news is bad news?

A demo of a game that doesn't exist is not very useful.

Cheers

xxx

We're looking into this, thanks for raising.

Having now gone through half a season post-update, it's definitely an improvement on before. Fullback ratings still a bit lower than I'd expect, but at least we're away from the 4.9 ratings as soon as I concede a goal, so that's a plus. Defending on the whole appears more solid, I'm seeing less occasions where a winger effortlessly waltzes through a whole defence, so again, that's good.

Goalscoring on playable leagues in full detail has been toned down too. There's still a few crazy scores, but nowhere near as regular.

Still some minor annoyances, but it may be down to the level I'm playing at. Was a great game before the update, and it still is. I just wish I was half decent at it. A seventh straight season in the Skrill North coming up!

Demo hasn't updated, do you plan to?

Moving from fm10 to fm14 so it would be nice to have the fix to tutorials freezing.

Can you please be more specific as to which tutorials you're experiencing this problem with and specifically when during each? I believe they should all be working fine from a fresh boot of the game as long as you carefully follow the instructions without going off on any tangent. In any case, please let us know more details about your issue on the UI bugs forum (http://community.sigames.com/forumdisplay.php/368-User-Interface).

Having now gone through half a season post-update, it's definitely an improvement on before. Fullback ratings still a bit lower than I'd expect, but at least we're away from the 4.9 ratings as soon as I concede a goal, so that's a plus. Defending on the whole appears more solid, I'm seeing less occasions where a winger effortlessly waltzes through a whole defence, so again, that's good.

Goalscoring on playable leagues in full detail has been toned down too. There's still a few crazy scores, but nowhere near as regular.

Still some minor annoyances, but it may be down to the level I'm playing at. Was a great game before the update, and it still is. I just wish I was half decent at it. A seventh straight season in the Skrill North coming up!

Good luck with your seventh season!

Not really a 'bug' but a bit of a UI issue.

As already mentioned when you do a player search and check out a players profile the search returns to the top when you click back instead of returning to the position you were currently at in the search. This means you have to scroll through again. A little annoying.

Also, sometimes the fixture lists change in the order they sort themselves and I have to click the date field to re-sort them. Not sure if anyone else has encountered this?

Again, nothing major but slightly annoying. Would be great if there could maybe be a hot fix for these?

Clearing your cache should both of these issues. Instructions here: http://www.footballmanager.com/faq/?game=38&id=217.

Edit: I see they did looking at http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/375902-FM-14.1.4-Player-Search-and-Fixture-List-Issue.

Ok, on the whole the game has improved, much less bugs which is a positive however.

Players are still running into each other from kickoffs, I'm also experiencing a high number of shots are blocked by my own team. I know the "trying to win the corner" bug is being looked at but it's a big problem atm. Is happening 2/3 times a match for me atm, which is frustrating.

Other big problem I'm having is my CB's pushing up and man marking certain players despite not being told to by myself.

Ah yes, I have another issue. I don't play a high line, I don't ask my defenders to press and I don't play with an attacking mentality so why do my defenders push so high up the pitch?

Can you please be more specific as to which tutorials you're experiencing this problem with and specifically when during each? I believe they should all be working fine from a fresh boot of the game as long as you carefully follow the instructions without going off on any tangent. In any case, please let us know more details about your issue on the UI bugs forum (http://community.sigames.com/forumdisplay.php/368-User-Interface).

Transfers tutorial is failing as documented here http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/368178-14.1.0.437109-Can-t-complete-Transfer-Tutorial

It has been confirmed but a fix should only come on patch 1 unless something changed meanhwile

Other big problem I'm having is my CB's pushing up and man marking certain players despite not being told to by myself.

Ah yes, I have another issue. I don't play a high line, I don't ask my defenders to press and I don't play with an attacking mentality so why do my defenders push so high up the pitch?

Same problem here, and reported.

Fantastic update, and considering it's only a little more than one month since the release, I'd call this the best match engine EVER. Defense is finally defending (that is blocking shots, standing in the way, cutting running paths, all in all more positional work than just mere tackling or nothing), and thank god by achieving this the overall shot amount is PERFECT now, as is therefore the percentage of shots going in. Of course, I might just be too happy because my team is playing brilliantly now while playing "only" good before the patch (which makes me think that my tactic has always been up to the standards of a mastermind, but is only now fully appreciated by the ME :) ), but I'm yet to see anything that still bothers me at all (ok the woodwork thing, but this is really quite minor for me).

As much as I was disappointed by the IMO low quality of the beta and release version, as much I am delighted now. No, even more!

I really hope that SI take their time (and a lot of it) before the next ME update, just to make sure the improvements are gradual and balanced. This should be the way to go from now on. Keep up the good work!

Ok, on the whole the game has improved, much less bugs which is a positive however.

Players are still running into each other from kickoffs, I'm also experiencing a high number of shots are blocked by my own team. I know the "trying to win the corner" bug is being looked at but it's a big problem atm. Is happening 2/3 times a match for me atm, which is frustrating.

Where are your defenders relative to the midfield? I only ask because if the midfield is playing higher up because of their roles and mentalities, then the defence has no choice to to push up with them else far too much space will be left and the team shape will be lost.

Are you using load last saved game or load game? use the latter to manually select. It could well be that your preferences have defaulted, so you would need to untick skin caching ( I think its called that, sorry not at FM computer) and tick reload skin on confirm (again cant confirm the wording as I'm not on)

Let me know what you find

Based upon my very poor pc knowledge, I did things the hard way. I began a totally new 14.1.4 save. I then reinstalled my lost 'stuff'. All appears to be in order. I'm sure that it was me doing the wrong thing in the first place, as I am rather good at that!

When I first tried to load my last saved game, there was not any game there, likewise with the load game option. On restarting the game it was reverted to the original FM white skin. I had the dark skin installed. I am thinking that what you said about the preferences defaulting may have been the cause. Not to worry, I think all is well now, famous last words.

Archived