Football Manager 14 Feedback Thread - 14.1.4

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Game is stuck just after the full time whistle went.

MOM has been chosen, I can give team talk but when pressing spacebar it just pauses and un-pauses a match that has already finished. So basically, I can't continue/process.

What do I do? This is the last straw for me, spent hours trying to perfect this tactic. I beat Bayern and Barca away from home in the same month, and now this happens.

MOM has been chosen, I can give team talk but when pressing spacebar it just pauses and un-pauses a match that has already finished. So basically, I can't continue/process.

What do I do? This is the last straw for me, spent hours trying to perfect this tactic. I beat Bayern and Barca away from home in the same month, and now this happens.

Can you save the game from the menu?

If all else fails you could try that and then reload FM and see if the save is after that result.

Same thing happened to me in one of my saves. Got completely ****ed off with it. I waltzed to the Title with Arsenal, and had a chance to win the Double via the FA Cup Final. Ending up playing **** and 0-0 against a crap Brighton team in the Championship, went to penalties and had 2 saves from the keeper where he came off his line where my taker just passed it into his hands and it like skipped where he came out his goal. Was on the verge of losing but didn't give the AI the satisfaction and reset pc lol. Completely rigged. Happened a couple of times withpenalties, never with the opposition neither, although maybe one penalty.

Can you save the game from the menu?

If all else fails you could try that and then reload FM and see if the save is after that result.

I can't, no. I'm still technically in match day, so seeing as I can't process from the match day screen, the save game option is faded out :( All I can do is just navigate round the match day screens. It lets me back out when I click on a players name etc, it goes to their profile, but from there, trying to continue just takes me back to the match day screen.

Same stuff happened to me. Two or three times.

Not very frequently, but when it happens is REALLY annoying.

I think it's a joke in all honesty, how these major bugs get missed repeatedly. I've already lost a save game like many others where it won't load anymore. People bang on about restoring a previous version of the save, but this isn't your typical game where you go over what you've already done and achieved. Takes the enjoyment out of it because it's pretty much like cheating.

I can't, no. I'm still technically in match day, so seeing as I can't process from the match day screen, the save game option is faded out :( All I can do is just navigate round the match day screens. It lets me back out when I click on a players name etc, it goes to their profile, but from there, trying to continue just takes me back to the match day screen.

Have you reloaded the skin?

I think it's a joke in all honesty, how these major bugs get missed repeatedly. I've already lost a save game like many others where it won't load anymore. People bang on about restoring a previous version of the save, but this isn't your typical game where you go over what you've already done and achieved. Takes the enjoyment out of it because it's pretty much like cheating.

With me, the game will be cheating me if I do it all over again.

Like hell am I going to beat both Bayern and Barca away from home again.

Hasn't moved now for the past 45+ minutes. Can shove this game where the sun don't shine.

Guest El Payaso
http://u1312.hizliresim.com/1j/k/vmn50.png

Look at the amount of yellow cards. It's completely annoying. :rolleyes:

Noticed that thing too, it does happen sometimes. I think that it is down to it that players really aren't doing dispossessing without tackling, in real football players use their body and strenght to do that and that leads in to smaller amount of fouls made. Basically in football if you fould twice in a short amount of time, it's going to be a yellow card. It's quite effective way to get man advantage in the game if you can get your team to retain the possession near of the edge of opposition's 16 yard box, they become frustrated and make fouls with tackles and that eventually leads to players being sent off.

This lack of proper dispossessing is one of the things that I don't enjoy in the game. Especially defensive minded midfielders (IMO) haven't really done their job in the game for years. Also those long runs with ball near the touchline are extremely rare in real football; especially when watching the games with 3D it looks silly that full-backs are so helpless with dribbling wingers; winger only seems to be jogging with the ball and the full-backs really don't seem to have a clue that they are allowed to do other things than dive into tackles. It's just a waste when you're having a really strong full-back (like Branislav Ivanovic for example) and he doesn't win those one on ones with his physical style of play like he does in real life. The guy had Iniesta in his pocket in 2012 UCL when meeting him down the flanks, really doesn't happen in the game, ever.

If SI will start improving these things in the future, they will have atleast one more satisfied customer in form of me.

One thing I am looking forward to with the next update is the possibility of varied goals. Atm it's corner! goal! Lob from long range! goal! Long ball over the top whilst defenders inexplicably close down the same man..... goal! Repeat etc.

There are two type of corner goals actually. The classic cross, header one and a new one where there's a knock down and a player smashes it in. Below is an example of really poor defending, something which is definitely an issue on this FM.

stpg.png

The ball is headed back to Ozil who is near the penalty spot to volley home.

This is what I mean by players closing down the same man. It happens in open play, it happens on set pieces.

I have to ask this, but Sunderland on my save got docked points for going into Adminstration... in the first week in Febuary, there was no news about them running out of money, and nor did they try and offload any players in the window that just closed, the game should not be doing this surely

Jeez you are so keen on picking others posters up but are just as bad yourself :(

If you have nothing constructive to add to the discussion do everyone a favour and just don't post!

Haha, I realised that getting another bite was quite petty, hence I deleted the post.

Sorry Cougar!

One thing I don't think I've seen, interested to know if anyone else has seen it: players colliding with each other and both getting injured.

Haven't seen this, but see a player go down with a knock/injured after fouling another player probably once a match.

I'm so tired of teams making offers to take my players on loan but only for 3 months! Either I have to negotiate which is a waste of time or they will spam me later wanting to extend the loan further. Just make AI teams' default offer 'end of season'.

I've had every edition since 2009 and I've never been one to whinge about the match engine before, never had any cause to. There's been the odd quirk, for example I found that with FM13, long-range shooting, even though it's not the most efficient way of scoring anyway, suddenly became unrealistically ineffective. I had Pangiotis Tachtsidis and James Rodriguez my squad, both good a shooting from distance and both in the habit of doing it, and in about four seasons they managed not more than two or three open-play goals from beyond 20 yards between them, but FM14 is a whole different kettle of fish.

I'm four points clear with Liverpool at the top of the Premier League in my second season after about 14 games, and yet despite having one of the best strikers in the game in Cavani, decent back-up in Alvaro Morata (though I think he's a dubious one due to his poor hidden attributes) and one of the best young forwards in the game in Timo Werner, I barely ever score besides corners (which I've always found it a bit too easy to score from despite rarely conceding from them), long balls forward and counter attacks. Forwards just don't seem to compete in any way whatsoever and usually have poor ratings if they don't manage to score; I previously had Jackson Martinez and thought it was due to his lack of bravery and work rate but Cavani and the rest are the same; they're so easily dispossessed, rarely win headers, are hopelessly slow and ponderous in the box, rarely getting shots off when in possession in good positions before being dispossessed, seem to wander into tackles very often when running with the ball, and miss an inordinate amount of the clear chances and one vs. ones that do come their way. All this despite good morale and being in a team in strong form.

I also recognise what people are talking about with wide players getting beyond their man, then frequently slowing down and allowing him to catch up rather than continuing at a sufficient pace to get an unobstructed delivery in, and as I've mentioned before, the brainless pass out for a goal kick in a pathetically clumsy bid to win a corner via a deflection is absolutely infuriating, and something you typically see several times a game from both your own team and the opposition. On top of that, the amount of overhit clearances from top Premier League players and teams and panicked hoofed clearances out of play under little pressure are excessive, as they were with FM13, only worse, and this year there's the bizarre suicidal lofted 30-50 yard backpass, which, I haven't as yet conceded or gained any own goals from but which should maybe be happening a few times a season, not every game or two.

The mad red card issue as well. Small sample size, so I'm wary of getting a cob on about it, but I've seen three straight reds for violent challenges, two from my players and one against, in about a third of a season. On the face of it it's neither especially odd nor, as I say, a great sample size, but given that one of those from opposition players was from Jordan Henderson (I'd sold him to Stoke), not the dirtiest of players, and one of my own from Alex Sandro, again, in no way a dirty player, inside the first TEN SECONDS of a game, makes me sceptical.

All of the issues with scoring and a lack of ruthlessness in getting balls into the box also mean my defensive record is very good, and my results are as good or slightly better than usual, but I'd honestly just rather it be more accurate, because in its current state the match engine really inhibits my enjoyment of the game. It's simply not a good reflection of football in the real world compared to past editions, and it seems there's negligible reward for identifying and putting together the best attacking players you can get and developing the best attacking prospects you can find when you'll struggle to get the satisfaction of playing good football in the final third and end up relying on set pieces and latching onto hoofed clearances due to forwards generally being timid, lethargic non-entities and the match engine being poor generally. As I said I've never whinged about the match engine before, but this year SI really seem to have got it wrong repeatedly, and I for one am massively disappointed with the game. I just hope 14.1.5, whenever it arrives, represents a big improvement.

The amount of kamikaze last ditch sliding challenges which prevent an attacker getting his shot off is absolutely off the charts.

Yep, contributed to in large part by strikers dithering or taking an inordinate amount of time to get the ball under control/out of their feet I find.

Anyway, good post Maleven and it seems as good a time as any to post my own thoughts on this match engine build.

I'll preface this by saying what I've said on every update, which is that there is so much good and potential in here and it's just being held back by some (IMO) fundamental issues. Unfortunately from my own experience, this latest match engine has brought a lot of new issues into play - not surprising as apparently there were major changes made to the defensive model. I should also say I play on comprehensive, so it's entirely possible all the good stuff happens in non-highlights for me.

1) Aimless balls to no one. Utterly infuriating. Set them to play out of defence, set them to retain possession, set them to pass short, whatever. You still get players just lumping the ball to areas that make no sense. Defenders are particularly culpable here, but seriously. I can see you have time on the ball. I can see you have clear options. Stop just punting it to no one.

2) Slide tackles. I don't know what's going on here, but games feel like FIFA when you learn what the slide tackle button is and just hammer it repeatedly. Have "stay on feet" set? Who cares. The worst part about this is so much of it happens in defensive boxes - the one area of the pitch where you don't slide in unless you're absolutely certain you're getting the ball.

Then again, given sliding straight through the back of someone's legs is apparently not a foul any more, why wouldn't you? One defender not enough, well two of his team mates can join in with the slip'n'slide water park fun that is defensive 18-yard boxes.

3) Corners. If I wanted to watch them endlessly, I'd just stare at the box. It's a good bet that if the highlight doesn't start with a corner, it's going to lead to one. Whether it's a winger getting to the byline and waiting for defenders to catch up before playing it off them, a defender with a free header deciding to put it over his own cross bar, or another kamikaze sliding challenge, it's probably going to be a corner.

4) Strikers - when you are through on goal, please shoot. Please, please, please don't wait for the defender chasing after you, who inevitably comes through with a last-ditch sliding challenge which somehow blocks your shot. Just shoot dammit. I am actually surprised if my striker gets a shot off untouched once he is through on goal.

5) Please stop fouling players who have their backs to goal and are no danger. Particularly as you seem to injure yourself while doing it quite a lot.

6) I can certainly accept if I play a high line I may get caught out by balls over the top. What I can't accept is attackers being able to take down 70-yard balls while running full pelt at goal, and watching it back to realise your centre-halves have either run off to close down someone not even in the play, or they've stood still for a good two or three seconds before realising their opponent is hurtling in on goal (although they will likely just put some grease on their legs, and slide through to block the shot)

I can even handle the excessive post/bar hits and the issue with long throws going straight to the opposition, if the above six issues weren't driving me batty every game.

So much potential, but this latest update has me feeling like I am implementing shouts to try and compensate for match engine issues, and going into matches hoping I'll get the rub of the green from said issues.

A lot of them have been raised in the bugs forum (some by myself) which is re-assuring, but I feel SI have made a pig's ear of this match engine update.

Can't work out whether yellow cards are a bit mental on 14.1.4 or whether my Fulham are just a bunch of nasty bar stewards! Just come through January and i've already had 4 players miss a game due to the 5 yellow cards suspension, 3 of those players are now up to 7 cards each and the other one is John Arne Riise, who is now currently sitting out 2 games because he's just picked up number 10 :lol:.

Also a few games ago the FA fined me for failing to control my team after 8 of them got booked. 5 of these were within the first 35 minutes :lol:.

Add to all this the miracle keepers, who have Evostik for hands, latch on to every ball near them and hold on without care in the world.

1 on 1's.........if it's my striker it'll end up a goal kick of a huge block by their keeper......swap it around and they score without any bother as my defender lags behind and my keeper's slow as hell, suddenly 1 down on their 1st attack at my goal.

We know this is a bug but the woodwork hitting is really grating, a couple of times per game i could live with but nearly 6-7 times every match is just ridiculous, why was it not fixed in the last update when you knew it was a bug????

Injuries to key players.......just when my team goes on a great run, at least 2 key players(generally the ones making things tick) with get injured for at least 4-6 weeks, usually with a training accident

One thing I am looking forward to with the next update is the possibility of varied goals. Atm it's corner! goal! Lob from long range! goal! Long ball over the top whilst defenders inexplicably close down the same man..... goal! Repeat etc.

There are two type of corner goals actually. The classic cross, header one and a new one where there's a knock down and a player smashes it in. Below is an example of really poor defending, something which is definitely an issue on this FM.

stpg.png

The ball is headed back to Ozil who is near the penalty spot to volley home.

This is what I mean by players closing down the same man. It happens in open play, it happens on set pieces.

Here's another example

bg71.png

My CB goes to close down a guy that already has 2 existing players on him. Then allows him to turn and looks the other way!

AJW - There has been an issue with closing down. I'm not sure to what degree but I think this may be addressed to some level in the next update.

The problem has been 2 or more players closing down a single player, I'd expect one of these to be more agressive; in addition if an additional supporting player arrives then one of the 2 covering players should either see him arriving or when arrived more to cover him either by marking or perhaps more tactically looking to split them

Right. This is ridiculous. Just lost 3-1 to Watford, which is fine, but the manner of defeat just makes me want to scream.

Issues. Two of their goals come from penalties. Both of which were pushes from set pieces. I cannot remember the last time I saw a penalty giving for a trip due to how amazing everyone is at tackling in the box. As you can see from the following pic.

mx8a.png

it's a real shame that you can't see how many were sliding tackles but I know for a fact that there were a lot. Watford's right footed left back (12 for tackling) won 4 in the box alone, 12 in total. Not against ordinary players either, he's timing sliding tackles on the likes of Aguero, Suarez and Ozil. When was the last time you saw Suarez tackled in the box? When was the last time you saw someone ATTEMPT a slide tackle on Luis Suarez in the box.

The game's concept of CCC's are a bit off, it reckons I created none. I bet to differ, I say a clear shot in the 6 yard box HAS to be a CCC. Below are my half chances created.

3fbh.png

I would show my shots but you can just view the ones in the box and the arrows from the long range shots means that the closer shots are harder to pick out. The stats say I had 25 shots and 7 out of the box (all free kicks) so I must have had 18 in the box (I'm not sure what the game considers a long range shot) 12 of those shots were on target, 1 of which was a goal. I'm willing to bet that most of those 11 shots were my strikers taking too much time on the ball and hitting it straight at the keeper. Watford managed to block 5 shots too, 4 of which were in the penalty box.

My two final issues are pretty well known. One is the old trick of players trying to play it off of someone in order to win a corner. I've seen people on here say it's not a big deal. I disagree, it's a massive, almost game breaking bug. It happens frequently, it happens with good, technical players with high decision and creativity stats. It happens when the player has plenty of options either to shoot or cross.

i17b.png

If you look at the top left of this image you can see that on 3 occasions my players try and fail to win a corner. Look at the number 7, which is Luis Suarez. He's right on the 6 yard box, can either shoot or cross but instead boots it out of play. Also from the image you can see the other bug where players hoof it aimlessly out of play, conceding possession.

My last point is corners. I'm 2-1 down and chasing the game, yet all I see on extended highlights from around the 60th minute to the 90th minute when Watford win their penalty is corners. I'm not exaggerating here either. All I see is corners. Literally. We had 18 in total, 4 of those were from the first half.

Players aren't reactive enough. I've just conceded due to my keeper jogging out and allowing the striker to round him. Didn't make any attempt to win the ball at all. I'm seeing strikers with high work rate not challenging for loose balls. Just standing there.

So, so many issues with this game.

I think most of the people that criticized on why they conceeding too much are just too lazy to do some research as to why that is happened. Is the ME perfect? of course not yet, Is it it enjoyable? definitely. I also had some problems with opponents constantly lobbing balls through my defenses like butter and scored, I was frustrated and thinking FM2014 sucks. It turns out, I just need to adjust my tactics because its definitely a steep jump from the sliders to what it is now, I read what other people are saying about what to do and not to do in the tactics forum and its definitely improved my gameplay, I thoroughly enjoy it.

I think this will be the best FM yet, it's definitely more challenging in terms of tactics and adjusting in game, in past FM i could just use one tactic and in game I don't need to adjust and i will still win, but you need to adjust in FM2014 and I enjoy it very much.

Keep up the good work guys :applause:

I'm largely loving this patch and version of FM but there is a very irritating bug where if a player does really well in a month all his stats drop a point! I have detailed this bug here and am seriously hoping the problem is fixed in the next patch because I have stopped playing until then. http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/378420-14.1.4-Training-Bug-Player-stats-drop?p=9288674#post9288674

remark1.jpg

remark4.jpg

remark2.jpg

Guest El Payaso
Is the ME perfect? of course not yet, Is it it enjoyable? definitely.
That's an opinion question. I think that generally the match engine is a balanced one. Stats and amount of goals look fine but the things that happen on the pitch are really repeating themselves and that for me makes it quite boring to watch. Long runs from wingers, silly marking errors, generally bad clear-out play especially in the set pieces and the lack of variety in the ways that goals are scored... You could continue that forever.

I think that the game goes further from real football when the game is more about mechanic running with the ball instead of being an intelligence game like real football is. It also makes it feel 'cheap' when you can just trust that your quite good wingers will win you so many games with their unstoppable running when it should be more about tactical thinking on how you can find that pass that releases your pacy winger from the full-back and gets him just enough time to get that succesful cross into the box.

My intention was to provide some feedback and offer my thoughts about the current ME but judging from the number of people who basically say "LOL its your tactics m8", I better don't.

However, please SI, don't make my defenders leave their position to close down opposition player even though I use "Drop deeper" shout and concede a through ball. At least you guys can fix that.

My intention was to provide some feedback and offer my thoughts about the current ME but judging from the number of people who basically say "LOL its your tactics m8"' date=' I better don't.

However, please SI, don't make my defenders leave their position to close down opposition player even though I use "Drop deeper" shout and concede a through ball. At least you guys can fix that.[/quote']

Best to provide that feedback in the bugs forum with Pkm's as appropriate, though if you peruse there you might find most if not all your concerns are already in the mix.

Don't be put off by the tendency of some to attribute everything to tactics, it isn't that simplistic and we do need to know about your observations even if just to deduce whether or not they are attributable to tactical decisions or are in fact ME errors.

Hello,

Iv never had to resort to this measure, but my frustration levels are to the point of chucking my laptop out the window.

What have you done to my beautiful game.

My main constructive critical points are (I'm sure most of there have been mentioned):

1: My defenders are always out of position, and the AI plays a simple through ball

2: My defender always makes a tackle, sending the ball to a open AI player who taps it in

3: I can have literally 5 free kicks in a match and hit the bar every time

4: So many shots on and off target = No goals, AI has 1 shot and scores every time

5: Although upsets do happen if football, every other week it happens. Same old loads of shots, no goals, then the AI play a simple through ball and game over

6: Hardly any highlights, the game just passes with little text and then over.

7: Possession has no use in the game, it counts for nothing

8: When I do win, my players always seem to have really low ratings

9: Tactics make no difference

10: An uncanny amount of draws, unrealistic amount.

11: Loads more Im sure

I don't know why I'm writing this as I can't see a update till the January transfer window closes, but I just though I would vent some anger at the ridiculous way this game have been released. Im never one for the old 'Im not doing well so the game must be incomplete'. But on this occasion I actually feel like they have release a incomplete patch, it doesn't work. The game before had problems but this is ridiculous.

Please someone offer me some kind words of encouragement, or even mores SI please sort this out, Im 100 percent sure that most people are having similar issues.

Hello,

Iv never had to resort to this measure, but my frustration levels are to the point of chucking my laptop out the window.

What have you done to my beautiful game.

My main constructive critical points are (I'm sure most of there have been mentioned):

1: My defenders are always out of position, and the AI plays a simple through ball

2: My defender always makes a tackle, sending the ball to a open AI player who taps it in

3: I can have literally 5 free kicks in a match and hit the bar every time

4: So many shots on and off target = No goals, AI has 1 shot and scores every time

5: Although upsets do happen if football, every other week it happens. Same old loads of shots, no goals, then the AI play a simple through ball and game over

6: Hardly any highlights, the game just passes with little text and then over.

7: Possession has no use in the game, it counts for nothing

8: When I do win, my players always seem to have really low ratings

9: Tactics make no difference

10: An uncanny amount of draws, unrealistic amount.

11: Loads more Im sure

I don't know why I'm writing this as I can't see a update till the January transfer window closes, but I just though I would vent some anger at the ridiculous way this game have been released. Im never one for the old 'Im not doing well so the game must be incomplete'. But on this occasion I actually feel like they have release a incomplete patch, it doesn't work. The game before had problems but this is ridiculous.

Please someone offer me some kind words of encouragement, or even mores SI please sort this out, Im 100 percent sure that most people are having similar issues.

Let me repeat my advice. Go and see the doctors at the tactics forum. You will be asked to provide fairly detailed info about your tactic (actually a screenie of your tactics page should suffice) and then provide you with advice that will solve your issues.

As long as you keep on blaming the game only, this is fruitless and will not solve an of your issue. Nor should you expect the next patch to do so.

can someone please tell me what the default instructions for each player role are

This is why I miss the sliders. Everything is so airy-fairy. Which is fine and realistic if it was not for the fact that it puts a human player in a disadvantage against an AI player. We have to guess and trial and error while the AI knows exactly what each role and instruction does.

Thanks for every drop of constructive feedback in thread guys. We've bottled it up and added it to 14.2.0 which has just been launched in time for Christmas.

A new feedback thread has been born here: http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/378442-Football-Manager-2014-Update-14.2.0-Feedback-Thread

Archived