Football Manager 14 Feedback Thread - 14.1.4

There was no free kick, their left back has made a simple run, and BOTH of my centre backs have closed down the left back, leaving my RB marking three players. No one was sent off.

I don't use hassle opponents because that increases the amount of cards and fouls, there was no man to man marking, none of my players are instructed to close down. This happens ALL the time. Defenders needlessly stepping up or going to close down the same player. What happened in that picture is one of my CB's decided to abandon the box and run to close down a player that's already closed down.

Ah, that puts it into a different context altogether then.

So basically it was a breakaway from probably a corner or freekick which explains why you having players drifting back in the centre. You need to rewind back to see why your DR was in the middle of the park while your two DCs get pulled out to the right.

I have actually seen occasions in my save where I've had a DC closing down a player who is already being covered by a fullback which has annoyed me but its simply down to a mix of tactics & player attributes.

Some roles encourage the DC to push up and try to attack the ball whilst some mix of attributes also encourages that type of play possibly high levels of aggession/teamwork/workrate mixed with lower levels of anticipation/positioning/mental attributes.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Plenty ridiculous about it when you consider the frequency of it. And he picked up the yellow because every player dives into tackles despite being told otherwise which leads to crazy number of red and yellow cards.

Also, it was good of SI to fix the corner bug by making them ridiculously effective. I don't see near post corner goals, I just see loads of corner goals. I've scored 20 in the League from corners despite making no changes to them. I'm 32 games in and 6 sides have scored at least 10 goals from them.

Too many yellows and reds, too many corner goals, slide tackles turning into through balls, players heading back towards goal scoring o.g's, players trying to win corners constantly, keepers coming miles off their line, 2 players closing down the same man (just look at my pic above) etc are all pretty big bugs, they all affect the game. I say this as someone who has benefited from these bugs as much as the AI. (Although some give me issues more than others because I tend to have lots of the ball).

Where is your statistcal evidence compared to real life. Making off the cuff statements with no back-up is not going to get anything changed and is likely to just sound like sour grapes.

Keepers do come off their lines to close down the angle, no keeper stands on his line

2 players do close down single players

You need to watch TV matches to see this happens.

If you are saying the keeper comes off his line to far and is open to lobs then say and back it up with pkms. If you are saying one player is being closed down by 2 players at the expense of leaving another free whom the player can pass to then say so and back it up with pkms

Unfortunately at times in this thread there are statements made that allege occurrences happen all the time when in fact its not quite true. There is no way that SI will make changes based on an unsupported opinion from one person.

You really need to support the issues that you are finding and this is the best way to get changes made.

There are probably bugs already raised for this in the bugs forum and if you have instances you think not quite right then do add your pkms. The bugs forum is also the location that will be most frequented by the SI guys.

If they do decide to release an update before xmas you'll need to things raised and supported with evidence as soon as possible to stand a chance of them getting resolved

I dont mean to preach, I just mean to help people to help themselves :D

Where is your statistcal evidence compared to real life. Making off the cuff statements with no back-up is not going to get anything changed and is likely to just sound like sour grapes.

Keepers do come off their lines to close down the angle, no keeper stands on his line

2 players do close down single players

You need to watch TV matches to see this happens.

If you are saying the keeper comes off his line to far and is open to lobs then say and back it up with pkms. If you are saying one player is being closed down by 2 players at the expense of leaving another free whom the player can pass to then say so and back it up with pkms

Unfortunately at times in this thread there are statements made that allege occurrences happen all the time when in fact its not quite true. There is no way that SI will make changes based on an unsupported opinion from one person.

You really need to support the issues that you are finding and this is the best way to get changes made.

There are probably bugs already raised for this in the bugs forum and if you have instances you think not quite right then do add your pkms. The bugs forum is also the location that will be most frequented by the SI guys.

If they do decide to release an update before xmas you'll need to things raised and supported with evidence as soon as possible to stand a chance of them getting resolved

I dont mean to preach, I just mean to help people to help themselves :D

I have backed it up with pkms :D I have a big thread on the bugs forum where I've uploaded pkms full of everything I've mentioned. I've provided plenty of pictures on here showing keepers come off their line for no reason. I didn't say keepers should never come off their line, just that they come off too much for stupid reasons. I've showed proof of a keeper standing on the edge of his box despite there being 3 defenders between the keeper and the striker.

SI have confirmed there are too many yellows and reds :D I don't need to provide stats, because SI agree with me.

Ah, that puts it into a different context altogether then.

So basically it was a breakaway from probably a corner or freekick which explains why you having players drifting back in the centre. You need to rewind back to see why your DR was in the middle of the park while your two DCs get pulled out to the right.

I have actually seen occasions in my save where I've had a DC closing down a player who is already being covered by a fullback which has annoyed me but its simply down to a mix of tactics & player attributes.

Some roles encourage the DC to push up and try to attack the ball whilst some mix of attributes also encourages that type of play possibly high levels of aggession/teamwork/workrate mixed with lower levels of anticipation/positioning/mental attributes.

It wasn't a counter. Palace midfielder had the ball, my team was in a decent shape. He makes a pass to their left back and my players continue to push up.

I have backed it up with pkms :D I have a big thread on the bugs forum where I've uploaded pkms full of everything I've mentioned. I've provided plenty of pictures on here showing keepers come off their line for no reason. I didn't say keepers should never come off their line, just that they come off too much for stupid reasons. I've showed proof of a keeper standing on the edge of his box despite there being 3 defenders between the keeper and the striker.

SI have confirmed there are too many yellows and reds :D I don't need to provide stats, because SI agree with me.

Yes, it's actually only slightly too high overall, but often particularly exacerbated by hassle opponents and aggressive players . But that wasn't the context you presented your point about Sagna in though. You mentioned one event, with no other context.

More to the point, if you know they are being reviewed, why continually post here, when you know they have been acknowledged and thus being worked on? Any further updates should be going to the various bug threads with Pkms.

Yes, it's actually only slightly too high overall, but often particularly exacerbated by hassle opponents and aggressive players . But that wasn't the context you presented your point about Sagna in though. You mentioned one event, with no other context.

More to the point, if you know they are being reviewed, why continually post here, when you know they have been acknowledged and thus being worked on? Any further updates should be going to the various bug threads with Pkms.

Because I'm frustrated that despite this game being out for almost 2 months and despite all the pkm's I've uploaded this game is still in this state.

It wasn't a counter. Palace midfielder had the ball, my team was in a decent shape. He makes a pass to their left back and my players continue to push up.

So your team went from a good shape to being all over the place in the space of a few passes?

Then you need to take a closer look at the full highlight and identify why it happened, partly tactical? partly player attributes? partly a bug?

Because I'm frustrated that despite this game being out for almost 2 months and despite all the pkm's I've uploaded this game is still in this state.

Well they kind of have to address it before they can do any further updates. You don't just snap your fingers and its suddenly fixed. Repeating the same thing, won't make it come out any faster.

Your uploads started with 14.1.4 TWO WEEKS ago. It's still 14.1.4. Give SI a chance. They first have to release the update for the fixes to be applied.

They first have to address the issues before releasing any update.

Exactly.

I imagine it can't be easy to code players to think like humans. Millions of different situations can occur on a football field and they all have to be accounted for. Not an easy task.

Exactly.

I imagine it can't be easy to code players to think like humans. Millions of different situations can occur on a football field and they all have to be accounted for. Not an easy task.

Yep. The fact that we're all experiencing different bugs with different frequencies is in itself proof that it can't be easy to figure these out. Too many yellows and reds? I'm having trouble forcing a player of mine to get a yellow to make sure he'll be available in the coming tougher fixtures :p. No goals from near post corners anymore? I had two by the same CD last game - it's rare, but when it happens it's usually a couple of them in a game (that guy has 5 goals so far this season, my defence 10 of our total 40). Trying to win corners? Some games it doesn't happen at all, some games it happens 4 or 5 times, most games just a couple.

There's just so many variables... I wouldn't want to be a coder at SI these days! ... or maybe I would :applause:

Your uploads started with 14.1.4 TWO WEEKS ago. It's still 14.1.4. Give SI a chance. They first have to release the update for the fixes to be applied.
I'd give SI a chance, but with every update I see the game getting worse. I'm seeing odd bugs resurfacing and new ones appear. Yes, of course it's hard to get right but this isn't a charity. At the end of the day I've paid money for something that doesn't work how it's supposed to. I actually think 13 was a better game this time last year.

Things like wingers trying to win corners instead of crossing and sliding tackles resulting in the ball defying physics are quite basic things that really shouldn't be happening. I've never known an FM game to have some many bugs and issues than this one. I remember 13 having problems where wingers couldn't be tackled, but that's the thing, previous FM's had 2/3/4 defining bugs. This one has double that.

I've been off work for a while, but I was speaking to a guy from work on FB last night who's had the game for a couple of weeks now. He's never been on here in his life, and I was asking him if he'd spotted anything wrong with the game. Said he was enjoying it as much as the other versions, and the only thing that was annoying him was the amount of goals he was conceding from corners.

I mentioned the 'trying to win corners off the defence', 'long ball over the top', 'too many red cards'' and 'centre halves being pulled out of position' issues, and he said he's never noticed any of these. Most of these will probably be happening in his game, and it's good that they will be addressed to make the game better, but it shows how much of an influence this board - this thread in particular - has on people's perceptions of issues in-game.

One thing I'm finding particularly annoying is how difficult it is to find a balance between guarding against complacency and not being overly critical. Some players can react quite badly to being criticised or warned against complacency when you win but become complacent if you are happy. There seems to be no right answer in these cases. Either morale drops or complacency increases.

One thing I'm finding particularly annoying is how difficult it is to find a balance between guarding against complacency and not being overly critical. Some players can react quite badly to being criticised or warned against complacency when you win but become complacent if you are happy. There seems to be no right answer in these cases. Either morale drops or complacency increases.
Don't say anything?

I'd give SI a chance, but with every update I see the game getting worse. I'm seeing odd bugs resurfacing and new ones appear. Yes, of course it's hard to get right but this isn't a charity. At the end of the day I've paid money for something that doesn't work how it's supposed to. I actually think 13 was a better game this time last year.

Oh no, last year FM13 at this time was just awful. The X'mas fix was an epic fail, admitted even by Paul C.

This is the reason we all were so confident about FM 14. And we now "moan" so much because after FM 13 we all expected a much better release, after all those mistakes this year everything would have been just better. After all, it's 20 years they do this and this only. But no. I'm not saying it's easy, but probably I was just too confident.

I've been off work for a while, but I was speaking to a guy from work on FB last night who's had the game for a couple of weeks now. He's never been on here in his life, and I was asking him if he'd spotted anything wrong with the game. Said he was enjoying it as much as the other versions, and the only thing that was annoying him was the amount of goals he was conceding from corners.

I mentioned the 'trying to win corners off the defence', 'long ball over the top', 'too many red cards'' and 'centre halves being pulled out of position' issues, and he said he's never noticed any of these. Most of these will probably be happening in his game, and it's good that they will be addressed to make the game better, but it shows how much of an influence this board - this thread in particular - has on people's perceptions of issues in-game.

Yeah, I already read this story 1 year ago, about this forum "influencing" people's mind.

Bah.

I raised a thread in the bugs forum on november the 28th, after 5 matches played. I just think some people keep an eye on certain things, others dont. Forum or not forum. So stop this metropolitan legend. A bug exists because it's right there, and not because I said that.

There, you lose all credibility. It has been getting better since release.
In fairness though ajw10, you seem to play the game with the sole intention of finding bugs, so it's always going to be that way for you.

This attitude. ajw10 provided loads of evidences on how the game have bugs according to him. He tries to help as a lot of us did/are doing. This is not a debate, there are proven bugs, end of story. And it seems now he comes here for moaning only.

Not fair at all.

This attitude. ajw10 provided loads of evidences on how the game have bugs according to him. He tries to help as a lot of us did/are doing. This is not a debate, there are proven bugs, end of story. And it seems now he comes here for moaning only.

Not fair at all.

He's not the only one reporting bugs. I've reported a lot of them too. We all want a better game.

There are still bugs, yes, but it has been getting better since release.

This attitude. ajw10 provided loads of evidences on how the game have bugs according to him. He tries to help as a lot of us did/are doing. This is not a debate, there are proven bugs, end of story. And it seems now he comes here only for moaning.

Not fair at all.

To be fair he certainly does provide Pkms, gets answers that they are reviewed and being looked into, BUT then comes back and repeatedly complains about the very things he knows are being looked at, even though a) it wont arrive any quicker and b) the issues that have been marked as bugs will have their own thread where he should then be adding any new info. Although ajw10 would be extremely hard pressed to argue 14.1.4 is worse than 14.1.3.

This is a feedback thread, he strenghtens his position by showing what's not working. I think everybody has the right for a word, pkms or not.

And I too think 14.1.4 is a bad stepback compared to 14.1.3, which I would happily play again if I could, but it's just impossible thanks to stupid Steam auto-updates. I bought the game and I don't even get the right to play it like I want. Meh.

This is a feedback thread, he strenghtens his position by showing what's not working. I think everybody has the right for a word, pkms or not.

And I too think 14.1.4 is a bad stepback compared to 14.1.3, which I would happily play again if I could, but it's just impossible.

Not when its repeatedly posting about something that is known and already being addressed. If he is adding new info, then it needs to be going to those same bug threads with pkms, so the coders and devs can quickly identify it and add it to existing logs. That's pretty much how it works. There is a reason why we say where certain things should be posted, its not just for arbitrary reasons.

There, you lose all credibility. It has been getting better since release.
Although ajw10 would be extremely hard pressed to argue 14.1.4 is worse than 14.1.3.

It's completely screwed up my tactic (which involved 'hassle opponents' and 'push higher up'). I've changed my approach and won a promotion since the update, but while I can see big areas of improvement, the two fundamentals I had based my previous tactic on have been rendered almost useless. So I wouldn't necessarily say 14.1.4 is better.

It's probably more stable which is fine, but I personally feel the closing down (and added aggression) has gone too far to the point of it being illogical at times.

And which forum rule is he breaking by doing this sorry?

Anyway, I'm not his lawyer. I just think some of you misjudged the good user he is. That's all.

How about not following the opening post about keeping bug reports in the bug thread? With all due respect, let the moderators, moderate, it's what we're here for. I actually think you misjudged what I was saying to him from the start.

How about not following the opening post about keeping bug reports in the bug thread? With all due respect, let the moderators, moderate, it's what we're here for. I actually think you misjudged what I was saying to him from the start.

He is not reporting bugs here, he reported bugs on the bugs forum and came here for discussing about them. Basically, giving feedback. As a lot of us did since the start.

He is not reporting bugs here, he reported bugs on the bugs forum and came here for discussing about them. Basically, giving feedback. As a lot of us did since the start.

I made my point clear to him much earlier on the specific ones he raised (because he has in fact done a lot of good spotting), its not really something that is up for discussion any more, thank you.

To be fair he certainly does provide Pkms, gets answers that they are reviewed and being looked into, BUT then comes back and repeatedly complains about the very things he knows are being looked at, even though a) it wont arrive any quicker and b) the issues that have been marked as bugs will have their own thread where he should then be adding any new info. Although ajw10 would be extremely hard pressed to argue 14.1.4 is worse than 14.1.3.

What?

So bitching will not make the update come quicker?

I never got that memo!

City, I thought i was you using hassle opponents as a core component. I'm doing the same, dont think I got it anywhere near as bad as you, but definitely seeing the same few players get pinged (admittedly they are also very dirty). Keen to know when specifically it was hammering you.

I probably just got a freak season (set crazy records for ill-discipline in both the Conference Premier and FA Trophy) though it has died down a little - I still get a few two-footed tackles here and there but it's not as bad as that first season after the update.

It's more the "push higher up" which has killed me. I accept that this should leave you vulnerable to the odd ball over the top, but it got to a point where just about any lump forward (or even goal kick) seemed to result in a striker being ten yards clear. I'd watch these back and it was usually my three centre halves closing down areas which made no sense. Sometimes my middle centre-half (I play cover - stopper - cover) would have pushed up to the halfway line, and often they did that annoying thing where they jerk to a stop or run the wrong way, giving the striker the few seconds he needs to get a break.

I've set "drop deeper" which has eased the problem somewhat, but it's not really how I want to play and certainly not how I was playing prior to this update.

But from what I can gather from Tony Fallows in the bugs forum (who is doing a heroic job, to be fair), they may have tweaked closing down too far, particularly for defensive lines. I am sure it's a far more stable and logical match engine now, just seems like I stumbled on a tactic which exaggerates two of the main issues to crazy levels.

I'm getting a bit peeved with the ridiculously low transfer bids for my star Barnsley players. For example, Jacob Mellis is worth £3.2mil on my game and Palace have just bid £1mil. Of course i rejected, now Mellis is unhappy and handed in a transfer request.

I haven't yet had one bid that is above nor matches their value.

This seems to be very unrealistic to me.

Also has anybody noticed large prem teams loaning poor sub keepers. Man City have just loaned my sub keeper for the season as a "valuable first team member" and he's only 2 stars rating for me in Championship.

Anyone else seeing a very large number of sliding tackles in the box? Most of them are successful too even when performed by attackers with very low tackling attributes. It just looks ridiculous to see two or three players diving in like lunatics every time the ball is in the box and there are very few penalties resulting.

I'm getting a bit peeved with the ridiculously low transfer bids for my star Barnsley players. For example, Jacob Mellis is worth £3.2mil on my game and Palace have just bid £1mil. Of course i rejected, now Mellis is unhappy and handed in a transfer request.

I haven't yet had one bid that is above nor matches their value.

This seems to be very unrealistic to me.

Also has anybody noticed large prem teams loaning poor sub keepers. Man City have just loaned my sub keeper for the season as a "valuable first team member" and he's only 2 stars rating for me in Championship.

Teams start with lowball bids but if you negotiate you can usually get decent fees out of them. Also if you tell the player "the bid was nowhere near your valuation" they usually understand.

Teams start with lowball bids but if you negotiate you can usually get decent fees out of them. Also if you tell the player "the bid was nowhere near your valuation" they usually understand.

If I want an important first team player from a similar-sized club worth 2.5 mill, you can bet they won't even start negotiate before 7-8 mill. It would probably end up between 10-15m, if you're lucky.

If I want to keep an important first team player worth 2.5m I have to reject bids from similar-sized clubs at half or a third of that, and maybe I could get his value for him?

I want to tell them to come back when they are willing to pay what I would have to pay for one of their important players. Then, if they did, I'd tell them that since I am not an idiot, unlike them, I won't sell for twice that.

My god i've tried to negotiate. They may go up 50k if i'm lucky. Like Biggus says, AI clubs don't even give you an option to buy a player under their value but they put in ridiculously low bids for Human managers players.

I think we can all agree SI need to tweek the AI transfer intelligence.

Still loving the game though.

Ok two things.

Can we please have players try to cross balls instead of continually tiring to win corners off the defenders legs! Very annoying and needs toned done.

Secondly this Christmas slump in form is one of the few times you realise you are playing a game with code! I know what I should be doing to combat it but the way that you start playing against Gordon Banks in goal every match and your strikers turn into muppets suddenly makes you feel that the game just has it written in the code that you are going to struggle for a bit and there is nothing you can about it except fiddle around the edges expecting wins /warning against complacency etc until you come out of it and you start wining again with your perfectly stable tactic you were using previously.It is just too dull for words and starkly reminds you about the fact that your are battling with a computer.

This aspect could also be toned down to at least provide some variety as this has been the case in every version.

Ok rant over and having said all this it remains a quite brilliant game which has given me hours of entertainment.

I kind of see the point here.

I've looked at the OP and it does say that bug reporting should be in the bug forums. In fact, the OP says this:

Bugs should not be reported here, please use the Football Manager 2014 Bugs Forum

Please make all feedback constructive

Unconstructive feedback, moaning, abusive or off topic posts will be deleted and infractions will be handed out to those who continue to ignore this.

Abuse of SI Staff or Moderators will not be tolerated and infractions will be handed out.

Moderators reserve the right to remove posts as they see fit

Tactical discussions should take place within the tactics forum.

It does actually seem to say a lot of things not to do, rather than what the feedback thread is for.

So, I'm wondering, what do SI want to see here?

If SI want a constructive feedback thread, I think best practice in any situation is to start by saying what you do want, rather than what you don't want.

I probably just got a freak season (set crazy records for ill-discipline in both the Conference Premier and FA Trophy) though it has died down a little - I still get a few two-footed tackles here and there but it's not as bad as that first season after the update.

It's more the "push higher up" which has killed me. I accept that this should leave you vulnerable to the odd ball over the top, but it got to a point where just about any lump forward (or even goal kick) seemed to result in a striker being ten yards clear. I'd watch these back and it was usually my three centre halves closing down areas which made no sense. Sometimes my middle centre-half (I play cover - stopper - cover) would have pushed up to the halfway line, and often they did that annoying thing where they jerk to a stop or run the wrong way, giving the striker the few seconds he needs to get a break.

I've set "drop deeper" which has eased the problem somewhat, but it's not really how I want to play and certainly not how I was playing prior to this update.

But from what I can gather from Tony Fallows in the bugs forum (who is doing a heroic job, to be fair), they may have tweaked closing down too far, particularly for defensive lines. I am sure it's a far more stable and logical match engine now, just seems like I stumbled on a tactic which exaggerates two of the main issues to crazy levels.

I wonder if it was exacerbated by the lower quality level of the players you are using as well? Only using it in my high level save (Man United) while trying to replicate gegenpressing as a system, though I wasnt pushing higher up as a specific shout. The players penalised were of course, Fellaini and Vidic (relatively slow, very aggressive, pretty dirty). But otherwise not in the same card level as yours.

Think you were doubly punished with your combination as well.

The thing is, if I'm being punished by having a lower level of players, then I'd expect the same offensively, which should mean it's harder to hit long passes and definitely harder to control long balls - right now they kill it stone dead without slowing down even in the Conference North/South. Often it's like the De Boer/Bergkamp goal against Argentina is the norm.

All that being said, I think 90% of the match engine is fantastic and I am so much happier with it than I was with FM13 this time last year, and appreciate that the commitment to getting updates out sooner rather than later may lead to other issues.

I just feel my defensive set-ups worked better on 14.1.3, even if they got horror match ratings. I seem more solid combining 'hassle opponents' with 'drop deeper', which in my mind doesn't make as much sense as it's leaving a bigger gap between defence and midfield for pressing purposes.

Archived