Football Manager 14 Feedback Thread - 14.1.4

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not entirely true. Some people regard it as better than this one. Likewise, some prefer FM12.

I have to say I prefer FM12 still. FM14 is ok but it doesn't have the same feel as FM12 for me.

I can play FM14 and on the whole I enjoy it, I think the one thing which is really getting to me is the ball movement. It's something I've seen very little of in general conversation so everyone else must be happy with it, but I certainly am not. The way the ball reacts is simply not correct, I had a defender head the ball from the edge of the 18 yard box to the edge of the D on the 18 yard box, so I think it's safe to assume it wasn't a powerful header. The next two bounces were as if a hurricane has blown through the stadium and taken hold of the ball. There is no way the ball could reach the centre circle from that header, but it did.

I guess SI must be happy with this, would be interesting to see what an expert in physics thought of it though.

It's better than the ball physics on FM13 though. Surely you can remember the ludicrous curl on the ball there was at times. You'd see a player in the right back position lump a long ball up the park, and it would go out for a throw near where the opposition right back would be.

It's better than the ball physics on FM13 though. Surely you can remember the ludicrous curl on the ball there was at times. You'd see a player in the right back position lump a long ball up the park, and it would go out for a throw near where the opposition right back would be.

That's true. I remember the outrage about ball physics when FM13 came out. PaulC came out and said they are perfectly happy with how the ball behaves. God knows what will happy when I play on a very windy day! It'll be 7-6 with both keepers getting 5 goals each.

Compare it to FM12 and it's ridiculously different. I prefer FM12 ball physics.

I was playing FM12 for a bit the other day, as I often do to compare it to newer versions, and (on the 2D view anyway) it feels like you're playing a game on velcro, the ball rolls for a bit then just stops dead. before your player moves it again. I much prefer the way the ball moves on this one.

I was playing FM12 for a bit the other day, as I often do to compare it to newer versions, and (on the 2D view anyway) it feels like you're playing a game on velcro, the ball rolls for a bit then just stops dead. before your player moves it again. I much prefer the way the ball moves on this one.

Yeah, I can imagine you'd see it like that after getting used to the newer version. Despite playing FM13 and now 14 I still can't get used to the ball movement though. I'm a stickler when it comes to things like this, must be my engineering background. Would like something in between as I will admit that it probably needs to be a bit quicker/more fluid in FM12.

Haha i dont think ive ever once thought about the ball physics, its just a graphical representation for me, i personally dont ever care if it looks like it has rolled too far, or if there is not enough friction on the surface to slow the ball down. I really dont think it makes any real difference, to the game personally. I dont watch FM to see a replica of MOTD, just to see a basic outline of what my team is doing in the game.

Well miracles will never cease, just played 2 games in a row and in both games I scored a direct free kick and my striker rounded the oncoming keeper to score a one on one, yes you read correctly, direct free kick and one on one, what did I changed to make this happen you ask? absolutely nothing.

Haha i dont think ive ever once thought about the ball physics, its just a graphical representation for me, i personally dont ever care if it looks like it has rolled too far, or if there is not enough friction on the surface to slow the ball down. I really dont think it makes any real difference, to the game personally. I dont watch FM to see a replica of MOTD, just to see a basic outline of what my team is doing in the game.

Really? That surprises me. Not that you think like that, more that anyone can be like that. I love to watch my team playing amazing football with it culminating in a killer pass which is tucked away brilliantly. Satisfying to watch and if it isn't represented properly, it doesn't give you the same sense of satisfaction surely? That's my take on it anyway. I appreciate yours is different.

Well miracles will never cease, just played 2 games in a row and in both games I scored a direct free kick and my striker rounded the oncoming keeper to score a one on one, yes you read correctly, direct free kick and one on one, what did I changed to make this happen you ask? absolutely nothing.

Why would you have to 'change' anything? This isn't FIFA, you don't have full control of the players. Sometimes free kicks will be scored, sometimes they won't. Same with 1v1s. Do you honestly think there's a magic button that once pressed suddenly makes the players score every chance they get?

Why would you have to 'change' anything? This isn't FIFA, you don't have full control of the players. Sometimes free kicks will be scored, sometimes they won't. Same with 1v1s. Do you honestly think there's a magic button that once pressed suddenly makes the players score every chance they get?

Having read a few of your posts, I've come to the conclusion you are a right patronizing git.

Many people have been complaining about direct free kicks never being scored and 1v1's almost impossible to get the striker to score also, if you'd taken the time to read the post properly without trying to be sarcastic and oh so bloody witty at the same time, you'd see I was saying it with tongue firmly in cheek. :confused:

It was with astonishment that I scored with both of these anomalies, something very few on this board have managed since the update but on you go, carry on being the master of all wisdom on here. :herman:

I'm sorry that's rubbish people haven't been saying that. I have seen people say the FM 12 engine was the last best engine I guess due to how easy it was to be successful with it.

Directed to rest if thread Personally I thought 14.3 was replicating more real life football for my tactic than this one.

To be fair to Dave he did say "in some quarters" which is undeniably true, that could mean 2 or people out of millions though. Im sure he meant considerably more. Of course I do not agree with that, I also think its not just about ease of success that matters, I think this community contains a higher volume of those wanting to experience rather than beat the game. I am not especially good at FM but have achieved to and above expectations with every save game for 4 or 5 versions of the game, I still dislike certain aspects of certain releases though.

Is down to the individual I guess but what I see (in the minds eye) is as follows in reverse order or realism:

3. 3d match engine

2. 2d match engine

1. Text commentary.

Not bigging myself up but my imagination knocks SI's best coded 3d ME into a cocked hat - and that is how it should be. Surely we should not gripe about 3d but switch to a more basic view.

Is down to the individual I guess but what I see (in the minds eye) is as follows in reverse order or realism:

3. 3d match engine

2. 2d match engine

1. Text commentary.

Not bigging myself up but my imagination knocks SI's best coded 3d ME into a cocked hat - and that is how it should be. Surely we should not gripe about 3d but switch to a more basic view.

Do you know, I totally agree with you! It's like reading a book, always better than a film in my opinion. I used to love the old CM series, reading that my striker was clean through on goal, only to get tackled!! I would be thinking, 'What the hell?? He was clean through the idiot, is he a snail or something?!'

Trouble is, I would be constantly thinking, I wonder what that goal looked like - knowing all the time that I could see it....

It is silly, I beast West brom 2-3 yesterday on my save, the reason theys scored 2? defenders tackled the attacking player, and the ball went right to another player that was clean through as a result, BOTH TIMES, dispite the angle or the tackle making the ball doing that unlikely. also had some odd bounces off the post as well, oh and dont forget the magical save keepers who can save a certain goal by using warp speed and glue hands ;).

all people ask for is a reasonable representation of things.

and FM12... only thing fun on that was buying Bassong off spurs who won the league as blackpool.... and him being top scorer and me winning the league because of corners.

I would love to have the heading back from FM12 still far too many going over the bar.

The worst thing SI ever did was introduce a 3D match engine IMO. For all it was an innovative step forward, it also pushed people's expectations through the roof.

I think it was milnerpoint (the most sensible poster on here, bar none) who said the more SI try and strive for realism, the more unrealistic people's expectations become. And never a truer word was said. I very rarely watch 3D now, as many of the animations look clunky at best. I also get a better reading of the game watching in 2D.

The worst thing SI ever did was introduce a 3D match engine IMO. For all it was an innovative step forward, it also pushed people's expectations through the roof.

I think it was milnerpoint (the most sensible poster on here, bar none) who said the more SI try and strive for realism, the more unrealistic people's expectations become. And never a truer word was said. I very rarely watch 3D now, as many of the animations look clunky at best. I also get a better reading of the game watching in 2D.

As you say, he was right. The more they progress the game the more people will expect. But if you're selling the game in a flamboyant manner, which every company in the world does these days, e.g. 'Over 1000 changes this year!', what else should the consumer expect?

I guess my background makes me think that products should only be released when they're right, or as good as it gets. There are very few companies in the world who stick to this ethos, more in the engineering world admittedly, but in the gaming world it seems to be getting worse. As an MD I couldn't be proud of releasing something which I didn't think was amazing and would work as it was intended, maybe that's why I'm languishing at my level!

The 3D match engine hasn't progressed that much from the time they started employing the wizard like graphics guy who worked for some other company who's name escapes me now. I expected more given the excitement surrounding his arrival.

I agree. In some ways FM became too complicated, basic was better (less is more) for example the team talks stuff, I feel it added more minus points than plus ones. So why when I now play my beloved CM0102 do I pine for a 2d view, or the chance to give underperforming players a half time rocket? :-)

Enjoying FM14 and currently experimenting with tactics etc prior to starting career game when next update released; hopefully pre Christmas. It seems to me that, with the removal of sliders, it is more important than before to take account of PPM's when determining your tactics. With this in mind, I believe that it would be really useful if the tactics UI were improved. Currently in tactics if you go to players, each position you click on shows you:

Player currently picked in the position, matches he has played in that position, his suitability for the role using star rating, and average rating for the position. I believe that it would be really useful if PPM's were also included.

Player currently picked in the position, matches he has played in that position, his suitability for the role using star rating, and average rating for the position. I believe that it would be really useful if PPM's were also included.

That's a superb idea.

The animations aren't always the best but in my opinion are far better than 2D, for me they help the game become more immersive.

The plus side of the increased expectation s with 3D animations is that with constructive criticism in these forums SI have better chance of addressing issues / concerns that the FM'ers have.

If you have a hunt through the old threads you will see there have been plenty of polls on the preference of 3D v 2D animations

There would never be any progress if change was not made for fear of failure or issues at the early attempts.

It's very hard to be positive about 14 when I see some of the nonsense that goes on. Last minute away at Tottenham , Spurs are on the attack, my RB puts in a sliding tackle which turns into a through ball for their striker. My CB puts in a sliding tackle which defies physics and goes in the opposite direction and hits our keeper and goes in. Tottenham score despite three of my players being the three last players to touch the ball. Asburd.

It's very hard to be positive about 14 when I see some of the nonsense that goes on. Last minute away at Tottenham , Spurs are on the attack, my RB puts in a sliding tackle which turns into a through ball for their striker. My CB puts in a sliding tackle which defies physics and goes in the opposite direction and hits our keeper and goes in. Tottenham score despite three of my players being the three last players to touch the ball. Asburd.

Could you post a video of that? Would be hilarious to see. :lol:

Really? That surprises me. Not that you think like that, more that anyone can be like that. I love to watch my team playing amazing football with it culminating in a killer pass which is tucked away brilliantly. Satisfying to watch and if it isn't represented properly, it doesn't give you the same sense of satisfaction surely? That's my take on it anyway. I appreciate yours is different.

I just dont really see the 3D as a huge thing in the bigger scheme of things. I was more than happy with the commentary only years ago, i used the 2d from time to time, i just use the 3D now as its there and its quite good getting to see the goals you've scored, but i still tend to play the game using the statistics and my imagination. I perhaps maybe kid myself that i dont see it, because all i really look at is basics the 3d gives me. If i see one of those slide tackles that turns into an assist, i dont really get upset about it, i just put it down to conceeding a goal, much like the ball physics, if i see the ball roll for 30 yards and out of play, i just accept that the ball went out of play, i dont get hung up on how it got there. Its maybe why i dont gripe as much as others do about FM, i still play 90% of the game in my head, from the story of my game, to the story of players coming in and leaving, to the story of the matches. The game its self is more just the output for my imagination.

If any of that makes any kind of sense.

As you say, he was right. The more they progress the game the more people will expect. But if you're selling the game in a flamboyant manner, which every company in the world does these days, e.g. 'Over 1000 changes this year!', what else should the consumer expect?

I guess my background makes me think that products should only be released when they're right, or as good as it gets. There are very few companies in the world who stick to this ethos, more in the engineering world admittedly, but in the gaming world it seems to be getting worse. As an MD I couldn't be proud of releasing something which I didn't think was amazing and would work as it was intended, maybe that's why I'm languishing at my level!

The 3D match engine hasn't progressed that much from the time they started employing the wizard like graphics guy who worked for some other company who's name escapes me now. I expected more given the excitement surrounding his arrival.

I think you need to balance this statement with commercial realities. Its nothing to do with ethos or individuals backgrounds. Take a look at some of the other products from software companies, even the great big ones sitting at the top of the software product trees. There is no software that is bug free and the more complex it becomes then the greater the risk.

If you looked at the news last week you will have seen a major software failure that caused impact worldwide (take the g off the those annoying buzzing insect things you get in the summer and you'll have the acronym of what I refer to)

A major corporate conglomerate also had issues impacting millions of people at possibly the worst financial time possible

Both examples I give above are major issues in their seriousness and will have bigger budgets and likely an even higher aversion to risk

FM is a simulation with coded AI, its not like some game software which has railroaded progression paths and specific reactions based on specific actions.....its a lot more complicated

It certainly shouldn't reduce our expectation levels but I hope this helps balance your view

I just dont really see the 3D as a huge thing in the bigger scheme of things. I was more than happy with the commentary only years ago, i used the 2d from time to time, i just use the 3D now as its there and its quite good getting to see the goals you've scored, but i still tend to play the game using the statistics and my imagination. I perhaps maybe kid myself that i dont see it, because all i really look at is basics the 3d gives me. If i see one of those slide tackles that turns into an assist, i dont really get upset about it, i just put it down to conceeding a goal, much like the ball physics, if i see the ball roll for 30 yards and out of play, i just accept that the ball went out of play, i dont get hung up on how it got there. Its maybe why i dont gripe as much as others do about FM, i still play 90% of the game in my head, from the story of my game, to the story of players coming in and leaving, to the story of the matches. The game its self is more just the output for my imagination.

If any of that makes any kind of sense.

Sure does. I need to do yoga or something, maybe I could be that calm then!

I agree. In some ways FM became too complicated, basic was better (less is more) for example the team talks stuff, I feel it added more minus points than plus ones. So why when I now play my beloved CM0102 do I pine for a 2d view, or the chance to give underperforming players a half time rocket? :-)

you can still elect to watch matches in 3d without having to revert to old versions

:brock:

I'm book marking this post :D

I think you need to balance this statement with commercial realities. Its nothing to do with ethos or individuals backgrounds. Take a look at some of the other products from software companies, even the great big ones sitting at the top of the software product trees. There is no software that is bug free and the more complex it becomes then the greater the risk.

If you looked at the news last week you will have seen a major software failure that caused impact worldwide (take the g off the those annoying buzzing insect things you get in the summer and you'll have the acronym of what I refer to)

A major corporate conglomerate also had issues impacting millions of people at possibly the worst financial time possible

Both examples I give above are major issues in their seriousness and will have bigger budgets and likely an even higher aversion to risk

FM is a simulation with coded AI, its not like some game software which has railroaded progression paths and specific reactions based on specific actions.....its a lot more complicated

It certainly shouldn't reduce our expectation levels but I hope this helps balance your view

Also, I know what you're saying. But it's horses for courses isn't it? They employ people who are good at this thing. Yes to me it's bloody complicated and hard to understand, but to SI's employees it's their job. If I asked them write a program to machine something on a 5 axis machining centre with tolerances of 5 microns then they wouldn't have a clue. It's cutting edge technology using difficult coding on million pound machines. I do it every day though, it's easy.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not going down the route of, they should do better it's their job. But it just goes to, not counter, but show the other side of your point which is - 'it's bloody complicated what they do'. I agree but so is a lot of other stuff.

Also, I know what you're saying. But it's horses for courses isn't it? They employ people who are good at this thing. Yes to me it's bloody complicated and hard to understand, but to SI's employees it's their job. If I asked them write a program to machine something on a 5 axis machining centre with tolerances of 5 microns then they wouldn't have a clue. It's cutting edge technology using difficult coding on million pound machines. I do it every day though, it's easy.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not going down the route of, they should do better it's their job. But it just goes to, not counter, but show the other side of your point which is - 'it's bloody complicated what they do'. I agree but so is a lot of other stuff.

I think its complicated also for SI :D

Its right that we maintain a high level of expectation and I think SI respond to that a lot more than what we know. I strongly believe through constuctive posting that SI will address those elements that the majority of FM'ers want addressed else without them the game would save no commercial purpose let alone become the evolving and enjoyable product we all seek.

I actually agree with that to an extent. Yes SI have a difficult job, but its their job, if they didnt think they could do it, they wouldnt be doing it, but i do still think there has to be a acceptance of realism when it comes to what they do. My job is to supply high pressure connections for the oil and gas sector, but people buying them from us have to accept that it doesnt happen over night, no matter how much money they want to throw at it. With SI its the same, they dont work 24 hours, 7 days a week, so things take time to get right. Coding is one of those things that cannot be rushed (we can all bring up evidence of rushed software) and its one of those imperfect sciences, especially now a days.

P.S this thread has a much better atmosphere about it than the last one, hats off to those posting far more sensibly about the issues.

I think its complicated also for SI :D

Its right that we maintain a high level of expectation and I think SI respond to that a lot more than what we know. I strongly believe through constructive posting that SI will address those elements that the majority of FM'ers want addressed else without them the game would save no commercial purpose let alone become the evolving and enjoyable product we all seek.

Agreed, you can see they're trying to sort the little things which is great. I'd love to know how difficult it is in making the changes they do. To have some sort of an idea would great for the general public, in terms of being able to relate to the difficulty of making changes.

I actually agree with that to an extent. Yes SI have a difficult job, but its their job, if they didnt think they could do it, they wouldnt be doing it, but i do still think there has to be a acceptance of realism when it comes to what they do. My job is to supply high pressure connections for the oil and gas sector, but people buying them from us have to accept that it doesnt happen over night, no matter how much money they want to throw at it. With SI its the same, they dont work 24 hours, 7 days a week, so things take time to get right. Coding is one of those things that cannot be rushed (we can all bring up evidence of rushed software) and its one of those imperfect sciences, especially now a days.

P.S this thread has a much better atmosphere about it than the last one, hats off to those posting far more sensibly about the issues.

You'll notice the mods are not in this feedback thread as much as the last one, probably due to the fact they made the game a lot better after the update and the fact that people aren't being so arsey with their comments.

You'll notice the mods are not in this feedback thread as much as the last one, probably due to the fact they made the game a lot better after the update and the fact that people aren't being so arsey with their comments.

Well that's told me! :o

Here I was thinking it was just a bunch of good eggs having a jolly good debate in a thoroughly decent manner!

Again we FM with lot of bugs and isues. To be honest im pretty cool about this but keep asking myself-Why???? Every year in october we have new version of game. Every year we have isues and bugs for 3-4 monts before we can finnaly play this game normally. Every year we have BETA version until february and we are testers but question is how long? Im in catering bussines for 15 years and i know one thing: CUSTOMER is everything. If customers are not satisfied you must change something. Its obviously not case here. Everything is about money and its sad. Best solution is to release new game every 2 or 3 years and you know that. If money is problem increase price to 100€ or even more but please give us something that works.

I will tell you one example and you can tell am i right- if you come to my restaurant and order some meal-you want to have good meal right? if i serve you bad meal what is my excuse?? Please can you comeback in february????

i love this game and i will keep playing but.....i dont wanna pay for something in october and be able to play it normally from february!

To be clear- i dont wanna insult your work but you cant forget first rule of bussines: CUSTOMER is everything

Again we FM with lot of bugs and isues. To be honest im pretty cool about this but keep asking myself-Why???? Every year in october we have new version of game. Every year we have isues and bugs for 3-4 monts before we can finnaly play this game normally. Every year we have BETA version until february and we are testers but question is how long? Im in catering bussines for 15 years and i know one thing: CUSTOMER is everything. If customers are not satisfied you must change something. Its obviously not case here. Everything is about money and its sad. Best solution is to release new game every 2 or 3 years and you know that. If money is problem increase price to 100€ or even more but please give us something that works.

I will tell you one example and you can tell am i right- if you come to my restaurant and order some meal-you want to have good meal right? if i serve you bad meal what is my excuse?? Please can you comeback in february????

i love this game and i will keep playing but.....i dont wanna pay for something in october and be able to play it normally from february!

To be clear- i dont wanna insult your work but you cant forget first rule of bussines: CUSTOMER is everything

Depends what industry you're in. In your industry, then yes, customer is everything. But that is because they can relate to how something should be cooked/prepared.

In this industry I don't have the slightest clue how to make something or indeed fix something like this, so my criticism has to be less harsh and more understanding. I'm willing to learn and be told why the problems exist, I can also be frustrated by them. But to be silly and start heavily criticising something I know nothing about would be foolish and short sighted of me.

Archived