Football Manager 14 Feedback Thread - 14.1.4

^^^

@Aquakuh

Thank you.

Coincidentally, I just popped over to the Tactics forum and spotted a thread by RTHerringbone on marking that I hadn't noticed before. On reading this I didn't realise that the marking default is now zonal (which of course is loose in SI's ME).

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/372207-Things-you-may-or-may-not-know-about-marking.....

I'll try again now!

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you felt that the game is easier ? In UCL especially.

In my first season with Steaua i finished 2nd in my group even though in previous game i struggled to get the 3rd place.

And this is a screen from my 2nd :

edxk.png

Trashed Barca at home 3-0 and Inter 3-1, i had 3-0 and they scored in 2nd half ... Found it a bit easy against them, totally surprised by the results.

Top post Lord Rowell, I’ve pointed out the long ball instant control issue before, I’m playing Wrexham in the Skrill Premier so we are talking players with relatively low first touch and technique yet they are still able to take down 40 yard high balls coming from behind them with instant control and then running in on goal. Now of course at this level balls over the top is a tactic that you need to deal with, however, the high level of control by lower league players is just not realistic.

Auqakuh

It’s not an issue marking tighter, long balls over the top are easy enough to deal with on a tactical level, what it is however, is a simple issue of whether the receiving players have the technique and first touch in the way that the ME is representing it. Simply put, taking down a high long ball from over your shoulder and controlling it instantly is not an easy skill, yet lower league players and players with poor first touch and technique are doing it with ease, yes you can mark them tightly to make it difficult but it shouldn’t be as easy as it is anyway.

Top post Lord Rowell, I’ve pointed out the long ball instant control issue before, I’m playing Wrexham in the Skrill Premier so we are talking players with relatively low first touch and technique yet they are still able to take down 40 yard high balls coming from behind them with instant control and then running in on goal. Now of course at this level balls over the top is a tactic that you need to deal with, however, the high level of control by lower league players is just not realistic.

If the match engine realistically depicted a typical game in the Skrill Premier, this place would go into meltdown with people screaming 'BUG' every five minutes. :lol:

If the match engine realistically depicted a typical game in the Skrill Premier, this place would go into meltdown with people screaming 'BUG' every five minutes. :lol:

Lol, well that's true enough and in FM its still to easy to get lower league teams to play like Barcelona, however, we should still be trying to iron out the wrinkles.

The "playing the ball off an opponent to get a corner" thing is still really overdone. Gets annoying when your winger speeds past his man and instead of crossing the ball, he waits until the defender is back in front of him, only to vigorously try and convert it to a corner and sometimes just making it a goal kick. Its a nice touch but it happens way too often and looks pretty dumb to be honest :(

Oh, and the ME still cuts off the highlight as the ball is in mid air from a cross, free kick or corner. Why can't it finish the highlight? Kinda weird when you see an well executed attack just cut off like that..

Auqakuh

It’s not an issue marking tighter, long balls over the top are easy enough to deal with on a tactical level, what it is however, is a simple issue of whether the receiving players have the technique and first touch in the way that the ME is representing it. Simply put, taking down a high long ball from over your shoulder and controlling it instantly is not an easy skill, yet lower league players and players with poor first touch and technique are doing it with ease, yes you can mark them tightly to make it difficult but it shouldn’t be as easy as it is anyway.

I think you're both right, on different points.

Auqakuh - tighter marking, alone, helped enormously.

As I've posted on RTH's thread in the tactics forum, and btw this is feedback for SI, I do think SI need to be clearer what certain defaults are e.g. the marking being zonal / loose by default, I was not aware of that before and neither were the tactical bods in the tactics forum (who, for the record, are way more knowledgeable than I!)

Hit the upright - yes, I still think you're right about the ability to control by the receiving player. To be able to do this in the way players are doing should demand very high first touch and technique a la Bergkamp.

Well the wife just trudged off to bed after I had a screaming session with my monitor, she is not best pleased with this ME I think.

The first 30 minutes seen me hit the woodwork 3 times in the 18th minute I concede a penalty, they score, then in the 28th minute I concede a penalty, they score, I then hit the woodwork again in the 30th minute..

..in the 31st minute the wife makes her exit. :)

She should have hung around as we still drew 3-3! :p

In all honesty though if the woodwork was getting hit less and I am a little worried about the penalty count, if these things get looked at for the next patch...opps..update, then I doubt many would have anything to complain about.

In all honesty though if the woodwork was getting hit less and I am a little worried about the penalty count, if these things get looked at for the next patch...opps..update, then I doubt many would have anything to complain about.

Since the update, I've played 5 games at the end of a season with Hibs, and all pre-season in the next one, and there hasn't been a single penalty either for or against me in this time. I'll monitor it throughout the season. This is a save on Classic, mind, although they do say it's the same ME...

Since the update, I've played 5 games at the end of a season with Hibs, and all pre-season in the next one, and there hasn't been a single penalty either for or against me in this time. I'll monitor it throughout the season. This is a save on Classic, mind, although they do say it's the same ME...

Yeah I could be just getting unlucky at the moment, I am not long into the new season and have seen 4 penalties, this could of course happen in real life, as I said just a little worried, no biggie at the moment.

Haha, double whammy of my winger refusing to cross despite there being a striker free on the six yard box and then my goalkeeper refusing to go for the short option, instead hoofing it aimlessly which sees me concede. This is such a frustrating game.

Haha, double whammy of my winger refusing to cross despite there being a striker free on the six yard box and then my goalkeeper refusing to go for the short option, instead hoofing it aimlessly which sees me concede. This is such a frustrating game.

Football management must also be utterly frustrating when you see the mess some teams get into in real life, so in that regard, it's pretty accurate!

I think this has been mentioned a few times but central defenders positioning in this is terrible at times.

kb81w8.png

Im Cambridge United (Sky Blue). No 12 is my Central defender. The question has to be asked why is he marking the No 26 when its quite clear that No 9 should be his man. As you can expect the ball went right over the head of my central defender and right onto the foot of the No 9. Thankfully he made a mess of it.

This is something that happens all the time, central defenders seem "dumb" and get dragged all over the place.

• Bugs should not be reported here, please use the Football Manager 2014 Bugs Forum
  • Please make all feedback constructive
  • Unconstructive feedback, moaning, abusive or off topic posts will be deleted and infractions will be handed out to those who continue to ignore this.
  • Abuse of SI Staff or Moderators will not be tolerated and infractions will be handed out.
  • Moderators reserve the right to remove posts as they see fit
  • Tactical discussions should take place within the tactics forum.

I think this has been mentioned a few times but central defenders positioning in this is terrible at times.

kb81w8.png

Im Cambridge United (Sky Blue). No 12 is my Central defender. The question has to be asked why is he marking the No 26 when its quite clear that No 9 should be his man. As you can expect the ball went right over the head of my central defender and right onto the foot of the No 9. Thankfully he made a mess of it.

This is something that happens all the time, central defenders seem "dumb" and get dragged all over the place.

Actually he's putting him in an offside position by coming up the pitch (both No9 and No7). The mistake was from the referee is he validated the pass.

The feeling that we are discussing two different games struggles to go away. On one hand, we have a bunch of people talking about game breaking bugs. On the other hand, the discussion in the tactic forum is richer than I've ever seen it.

Not sure what that tells us, but there it is.

The feeling that we are discussing two different games struggles to go away. On one hand, we have a bunch of people talking about game breaking bugs. On the other hand, the discussion in the tactic forum is richer than I've ever seen it.

Maybe that it is a very challenging edition? I had some problems myself with tactics for the first time in years, but the twelve step guide really helped me. The partnership topics also.

Actually he's putting him in an offside position by coming up the pitch (both No9 and No7). The mistake was from the referee is he validated the pass.

Nah, I'm not agreeing with that. The No 9 fell back a little before the by kick was taken and was onside. No 22 in my side should be roughly where 12 is. This isnt an isolated thing, as I said in my post central defenders seem "dumb" and arent doing things that should be obvious to them.

Nah, I'm not agreeing with that. The No 9 fell back a little before the by kick was taken and was onside. No 22 in my side should be roughly where 12 is. This isnt an isolated thing, as I said in my post central defenders seem "dumb" and arent doing things that should be obvious to them.

But in this forum are many people with plenty of clean sheets, some with just conceding 7 goals a season. Doesnt this prove that its not a bug but very bad players or tactics?

I'd like to see the PKM (also tactical instructions, since the back line is way up the pitch) to be sure, but agree to me it looks like they were trying to play the offside trap, perhaps a badly executed one. 9 is offside tbh, unless he suddenly runs back onside in the intervening seconds before the ball is kicked and then bends his run back, he is off side and the linesman should have flagged.

You can't be offside from a goal kick.

Infact, you are correct, got dragged into replying there without thinking :D

It, IMO, is a poorly executed play by the central defender (be it a bug??) or a brain fart, although central defenders are pulled all over the place too ofter for it to be a brain fart.

Been thinking the same thing since the game was release, its very strange.

I wonder how Si are able to judge what is relevant feedback.

Anyway my feedback and I'm a full 90 minute game player since 3d.

I'm happy, good game much fun.

Infact, you are correct, got dragged into replying there without thinking :D

It, IMO, is a poorly executed play by the central defender (be it a bug??) or a brain fart, although central defenders are pulled all over the place too ofter for it to be a brain fart.

Poorly executed play isnt necessarily a bug, and defensive mistakes should certainly happen especially at the lower levels. are you asking your players to tightly mark? That said, upload the PKM

Poorly executed play isnt necessarily a bug, and defensive mistakes should certainly happen especially at the lower levels. are you asking your players to tightly mark? That said, upload the PKM

No, defensively I havent put any instructions on the team, or individually.

100% agree on the "mistakes should happen" thing. Although this seems like a "glaring" error. The central defender should 100% have known that the no 9 was directly behind him :D

But if you're a smaller team, I'd say 6.6 and above is probably OK, based on the fact that the in-game media starts lambasting players below that level.

But I'm mighty Liverpool, so I surely should have better ratings than that ;) I'll collect a good number of screenshots from my game to post here and show how ratings are unrealistically low, even in case of good individual stats of certain players and of course victory- which should by itself be enough to raise and motivate better player performances/ratings.

Red Cards are definitely increased in 14.1.4 .... it's one of the first things I noticed and here is a screenshot of a single match day ..

2s1sk0g.jpg

Are my eyes deceiving me..CR7 playing for your team Braga? :D He must be pretty old if Porto is playing Fierro and Gomez in their starting eleven (i assume).

I loved the ME before the patch and I love it even more now.

I realise that's useless feedback but I feel it's good to share some positivity once in a while

Yeah its much better now and i think the feedback is much more positive now in general in this thread. So we are not alone.:-)

I've noticed there's a lot more 'double teaming' when my winger is on the ball. Used to be you'd only ever see one defender try (and usually fail) to tackle a winger on any given highlight, now more often than not, there's two defenders closing him down straight away. Thing is, this never seems to happen when the opposition winger is on the ball, which I can only conclude is either the old chestnut of selective memory, or there's a tactical instruction I'm not aware of that allows this to happen. Quite sure it won't be a bug.

It's not just us, no. I've seen a few people mentioning it here and there.

I currently have my right winger set to DW(S) with Run Wide With Ball, Stay Wider, Get Further Forward, More Direct Passes and Cross Aim Centre selected and I don't see it too often.

Seriously this problem where my right winger runs down to the touchline, turns, and passes backwards is really causing problems. No one else apart from myself and Ackter experiencing it? It's getting tiresome.

Yes I have. I manage Swansea in my save with De Guzman as advanced playmaker and Nathan Dyer as AMR/W/S. What happens a lot is that Dyer passes to De Guzman to start a 1-2 and starts running, De Guzman plays a through ball down the wing, Dyer takes control of the through ball and has a beautiful opportunity to cross, but instead delays play and passes it back to De Guzman, wo will then have to set up a new attack.

Weird, my season just updated from the third to the fourth (July 8/9th in Spain) and my displayed currency and wages have gone a bit mental. Got my news item about the usual annual % increases, click view squad and sort by contract to double check them and it had switched on it's own from GB£ to US$ and the percentage increases were at least 50% per player instead of the normal agreed 10% or whatever ( yes I roughly took into account exchange rates and currency differences etc). Anyway, thought that was mad so loaded up my one of my backup autosaves from before the seasonal update and the currencys were all in Australian $'s, went into a players contract screen and then back to the squad screen with contracts displayed and it changed to €'s. All through this when I checked preferences a few times it was down correctly as GB£. Loaded back up my up to date save after the seasonal update and they were still display €'s, switched that in preferences to some random currency, confirmed, switched it back to GB£ and the values were displayed correctly with the correct increases in the correct currency. I 100% didn't touch currency in preferences since I started the save until I switched it trying to sort this out there. Mental.

I've been playing CM/FM for the last 15 years and I think FM 2014 has the potential to be the best in the series. Just wanted to say thanks to all the people working at SI for all the effort and soul they put into this game. I agree there are some bugs but I believe SI will do their best to correct them.

Thanks SI. Keep it up!

Hi,

is this normal?

JEAOBbj.jpg

Until now, no big deal ok...but look to Cristiano Ronaldo:

ijsid9u.jpg

UKzLRzC.jpg

Won top goalscorer of Spain and Europe, won Champions League and 2nd place at La Liga. Chelsea 4th place Premier League and lost on 1st stage after groups of CL (vs me), and the winne was Mata.

LOOOOL ? Is this a bug ??

There are only two problems I have with this game.

Firstly, it seems the 'Aggressive' tone has been removed from the 'Private Chat' with a player. If I am unhappy with him, I want him to feel the full velocity of my anger.

Secondly, it also seems I can only fine players their wages for a poor performance if they play below a specific rating. If I lose 0-1 at home to bottom-of-the-table/weaker opposition in a cup match, I don't care how well we may have played and been unlucky, I refuse to tolerate such performances and want my squad to know that.

Archived