Football Manager 14 Feedback Thread - 14.1.4

Possession is always tactical - you can ask your players to play a possession game and get the best passers in the world, but if the player with the ball doesn't have sufficient options or you make it easy for the AI to close down your players, you're probably not going to dominate possession.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Think I may have found a bug.

My RCB (Sagna) seems to be constantly following Osvaldo. He drops deep and yet he's following him right up to the halfway line, leaving a massive gap behind for Southamptons attacking midfield trio to exploit.

The thing is, I have not asking Sagna or anyone else to man mark anyone on the pitch.

I played 2 matches and I've seen horrible defensive movements especially from DCs. But generally I'm pretty shocked.

I ragequitted on one match because I couldn't believe what I was watching. The thing that scares me the most, is that everything was working "almost" fine before the patch.

My matches since the patch:

2fix.png

Clean sheets are not a problem if you're set up tactically for them.

I understand what you say Ackter, but also if i mistake everything it's not possible that Chiellini forget how to defend in a defensive one-on-one. Also if i do my worst in tactic, IF and WHEN Gomez/Van Persie/Ibra is alone with the goalkeeper it's impossible that miss repeatedly. Sorry but this i can't understand: if i do tactic errors, maybe this occasion must not happen. But IF happens, how in the world they have to mistake? For teaching me a lesson? I don't see the point.

Thanks anyway for your time and your answers, i bet that understand my posts it's not so easy - damn, in 3-4 months i will leave my country :D

I understand what you say Ackter, but also if i mistake everything it's not possible that Chiellini forget how to defend in a defensive one-on-one. Also if i do my worst in tactic, IF and WHEN Gomez/Van Persie/Ibra is alone with the goalkeeper it's impossible that miss repeatedly. Sorry but this i can't understand: if i do tactic errors, maybe this occasion must not happen. But IF happens, how in the world they have to mistake? For teaching me a lesson? I don't see the point.

Thanks anyway for your time and your answers, i bet that understand my posts it's not so easy - damn, in 3-4 months i will leave my country :D

You watch key highlights and moan, that's a sure bet on tactical issues and I absolutely don't care if on your way you encounter ME bugs, what you experience beside that will still be tactical.

Try the tactics forum and switch to full match or the setting before that until you have a clue what's going on on the pitch in your matches.

You watch key highlights and moan, that's a sure bet on tactical issues and I absolutely don't care if on your way you encounter ME bugs, what you experience beside that will still be tactical.

Try the tactics forum and switch to full match or the setting before that until you have a clue what's going on on the pitch in your matches.

So ME don't represent really what i see? Individuals errors of my players depends by my tactic? (I'm not joking, seriously, want to understand :) )

Not really a 'bug' but a bit of a UI issue.

As already mentioned when you do a player search and check out a players profile the search returns to the top when you click back instead of returning to the position you were currently at in the search. This means you have to scroll through again. A little annoying.

Also, sometimes the fixture lists change in the order they sort themselves and I have to click the date field to re-sort them. Not sure if anyone else has encountered this?

Again, nothing major but slightly annoying. Would be great if there could maybe be a hot fix for these?

So ME don't represent really what i see? Individuals errors of my players depends by my tactic? (I'm not joking, seriously, want to understand :) )
Of course tactical issues can create more Individual errors. By putting them in critical situations defensively more often or by affecting their morale/nerves/whatever negatively, for example. Doesn't mean they are all bugs or never bugs.

The bugs/balancing issues you do see, are not responsible for the issues you have with this game, those issues you mentioned in your last longer post. The problem is with you (or me, whoever's on the other side of the screen).

Well so far so good, cheers SI, the new ME is making my tactics even better, also a big up the mods who suggested looking at tactics, it's a must for anyone, mine were ok just needing tweaking but even better now. FB's better, less woodwork hit and silly shots missed, tackling and positioning better and not seen any near post corners yet, hopefully you've nailed it guys as we all need a rest from this forum. :applause:

Of course tactical issues can create more Individual errors. By putting them in critical situations defensively more often or by affecting their morale/nerves/whatever negatively, for example. Doesn't mean they are all bugs or never bugs.

The bugs/balancing issues you do see, are not responsible for the issues you have with this game, those issues you mentioned in your last longer post. The problem is with you (or me, whoever's on the other side of the screen).

Well, thank you.

I promise that tomorrow i try the Tactical Section and i will improve my tactical knowledge.

So, if in the future i'll do other posts here, i will sure that's not my fault.

Last question: is there a winning tactic or a losing tactic? Or any tactic is good if applied well?

Well, thank you.

I promise that tomorrow i try the Tactical Section and i will improve my tactical knowledge.

So, if in the future i'll do other posts here, i will sure that's not my fault.

Last question: is there a winning tactic or a losing tactic? Or any tactic is good if applied well?

The key to any tactic is balance in the squad and playing players capable of carrying out the instructions within the tactic, reading a few threads in the tactics forum will definitely help understand more.

Very true, I was able to play the game well enough with all the wee bugs as I made my tactics better, then seen that a lot of what I thought were bugs were in fact just tactical issues with the game.

@PratoJoe: Any tactic. There are some very interesting threads, like a Catenaccio thread for example. But don't expect any "win"-tactics to just copy and paste, rather to get better at applying your own idea of playing football.

Oh, no no. What i wanted to say in truth it's there is no winning tactic, i would hated this. I play on FM only because i always toughts that any way is possibly good.

Mods, sorry for the OT.

Well so far so good, cheers SI, the new ME is making my tactics even better, also a big up the mods who suggested looking at tactics, it's a must for anyone, mine were ok just needing tweaking but even better now. FB's better, less woodwork hit and silly shots missed, tackling and positioning better and not seen any near post corners yet, hopefully you've nailed it guys as we all need a rest from this forum. :applause:

Now this is curious, since, if I'm not wrong, it seems woodwork it's still an issue they couldn't fix on time for this last patch.

Woodwork hopefully reduced a bit next update. It missed the cut off for 14.1.4, we had to draw the line somewhere.

Ahhh I was right :)

Now this is curious, since, if I'm not wrong, it seems woodwork it's still an issue they couldn't fix on time for this last patch.

Could possibly be the players are getting more time and space to make clearer shots, all I know is I've just had a quick couple hours play and only seen it happen once. AI teams were overly defensive, so I don't know if the fixed that but so far I'm happy.

Noticed this fix which may answer the question............- Some further tweaks to kick/header inaccuracy

See what is really annoying me about this game is still happening.

I mentioned this some time ago about the AI teams turning into great sides when they go 2-0 or 3-0 down. It's happened a couple of times again tonight, and yes, I know the AI can't do anything I can't in terms of tactics, but something else caught my attention about it.

Played a game where where I was 3-0 up away from home. Pretty much controlling the game, although posession was pretty even. This was because of the horrible, muddy pitch, forcing me to adopt a more direct approach, it being the basement league in England.

2nd half, and the predictable AI fightback culminating in the equally predictable injury time winner for them. You might say, fine, it's tactical etc etc, and on the face of it, it is. Except that in that 2nd half, the AI team were passing the ball with pace, using numerous quick one touch passing movements. My team aren't able to do that on such a pitch. How can theirs? Is it a case that although the AI has the same tactical options open to them, that they aren't affected by the conditions in the same way a human player is? Because I have no idea how they were able to play such a quick, short passing game in the second half, which basically destroyed my team.

It's the one part of the game that annoys me more than any other right now.

Could possibly be the players are getting more time and space to make clearer shots, all I know is I've just had a quick couple hours play and only seen it happen once. AI teams were overly defensive, so I don't know if the fixed that but so far I'm happy.

Noticed this fix which may answer the question............- Some further tweaks to kick/header inaccuracy

Yeah. Well probably we're playing 2 different games, since I played 2 matches so far (and then I had enough!): 3 woodwork on the first and 4 or 5 on the second.

Oh well.

Not happy 100% with this patch. Woodwork apart, of course. That's nothing.

See what is really annoying me about this game is still happening.

I mentioned this some time ago about the AI teams turning into great sides when they go 2-0 or 3-0 down. It's happened a couple of times again tonight, and yes, I know the AI can't do anything I can't in terms of tactics, but something else caught my attention about it.

Played a game where where I was 3-0 up away from home. Pretty much controlling the game, although posession was pretty even. This was because of the horrible, muddy pitch, forcing me to adopt a more direct approach, it being the basement league in England.

2nd half, and the predictable AI fightback culminating in the equally predictable injury time winner for them. You might say, fine, it's tactical etc etc, and on the face of it, it is. Except that in that 2nd half, the AI team were passing the ball with pace, using numerous quick one touch passing movements. My team aren't able to do that on such a pitch. How can theirs? Is it a case that although the AI has the same tactical options open to them, that they aren't affected by the conditions in the same way a human player is? Because I have no idea how they were able to play such a quick, short passing game in the second half, which basically destroyed my team.

It's the one part of the game that annoys me more than any other right now.

There is no difference whatsoever between how the AI and human teams interact with the match engine.

How predictable. The first page of these threads (as they do every year) are peeps kneeling at the altar of SI thanking them for finally releasing game/patch. Then the hmm, great, but.... (as they do every year). Then 'outrage at bugs' that people base just 1-2-3 matches in key highlights on appear (as they do every year). Then the next x number of pages back and forth of lovers/outraged of the game because it's not exactly perfect or is (as they do every year) .

Here's my feedback: I was loving playing before the patch. I still am. Hooray for SI for continually improving on what needs improving every release. If you feel different; next year buy the game in March.

How predictable. The first page of these threads (as they do every year) are peeps kneeling at the altar of SI thanking them for finally releasing game/patch. Then the hmm, great, but.... (as they do every year). Then 'outrage at bugs' that people base just 1-2-3 matches in key highlights on appear (as they do every year). Then the next x number of pages back and forth of lovers/outraged of the game because it's not exactly perfect or is (as they do every year) .

Here's my feedback: I was loving playing before the patch. I still am. Hooray for SI for continually improving on what needs improving every release. If you feel different; next year buy the game in March.

:) okay grandad.

Yeah. Well probably we're playing 2 different games, since I played 2 matches so far (and then I had enough!): 3 woodwork on the first and 4 or 5 on the second.

Oh well.

Not happy 100% with this patch. Woodwork apart, of course. That's nothing.

So what's actually the problem? Do you want most of your woodwork shots to go in? A fix to this will probably mean that those shots go high or wide instead, so you're not missing out on goals.

Mentioned before but posted in the bugs forum and got redirected here.

The team simply does not follow set-piece instructions.

ftp://ftp-public@ftp.sigames.com/fm/game-screenshots/Attack%20corner%20Instructions-Burgalveist.png - Attacking corner

ftp://ftp-public@ftp.sigames.com/fm/game-screenshots/Attacking%20free%20kicks-Burgalveist.png - attacking free kicks

ftp://ftp-public@ftp.sigames.com/fm/game-screenshots/Defending%20Free%20Kicks-%20Burgalveist.png - defending freekicks

ftp://ftp-public@ftp.sigames.com/fm/game-screenshots/Defending%20set%20pieces-%20Burgalveist.png - defending corners

Here is my first two preseason games with numerous examples of these instructions being ignored.

ftp://ftp-public@ftp.sigames.com/fm/game-pkm/Celtic%20v%20FC%20København.pkm - Celtic V Kobenhaven

ftp://ftp-public@ftp.sigames.com/fm/game-pkm/Celtic%20v%20Spartak%20Moscow.pkm - Celtic v Spartak

Not here to get on at you guys but it did seem to be a well reported issue well before the two week cut off point and in my eyes a lot more frustrating than CCC detection or some other gripes.

From watching the comprehensive highlights I've noticed that about 80% or so of the oppositopn corners are now far post ones.

This.

But I'm also seeing better positioning of the defensive line. Only in pre-season so far but the defenders no longer straddle next to the keeper and instead push up so they're in the box not the goal line.

Ha ha - completely true though - as predictable as rain in the dry season (topical joke where I'm at) :brock:

This is my start so far with Cambridge United

wisndw.png

Central defenders seem to be causing me a bit of a problem, they tend to get caught out of position quite a bit, seems like they enjoy wandering too far forward then the ball comes towards the defence and one pass catches them out. Seems like the tactics need a "stay bloody goal side" tick box. Need to try to mess about with the tactics because I can see these problems happen on the match screen but cant seem to find an option that sounds right (if you get what i'm saying :))

Initial patch feedback

Defenders: Working great now. They are acting like defenders by blocking shots and tackling rather than being 'obstacles'. Very pleased with this.

Attacking Movement: I've noticed in 'comprehensive' mode that a lot of my attacking moves hit a wall because all of my midfielders and strikers are hanging out around the penalty spot doing nothing. I've never seen that happen in anything higher than Amateur leagues, and my tactics don't encourage it either. I'm not entirely sure why this is happening.

Defense: A lot more responsive to the team instructions. My team was getting beaten by a lot of balls over the top, or balls in behind the defensive line. I told them to drop deeper to remove that space, and it has worked exactly as it should. This is a fantastic improvement over what it was in 14.1.3.

False Nines: I've noticed my F9 is quite frequently winning balls around my side of the middle third (i.e. just on my side of the halfway line), and is doing so by dropping deeper than my midfielders. He is, at times, standing next to my DM. I honestly wouldn't expect the F9 to be dropping so deep, so I'd be interested to hear if anyone else is noticing similar things happening.

Yellow and Red Cards: I've noticed a substantial increase in yellow and red cards. Is this intentional? I'm not entirely sure if it is more or less realistic now, but it is quite noticeable.

Transfers: I have noticed that I can sign slightly better players than I could in 14.1.3. I am guessing that this is a result of the changes to the lower league contract issues?

I'll post additional feedback if I come across anything useful.

This reflects almost exactly what I came here to post, and to add to what you said here, this is indeed in the change list....

- Increased fouls at lower levels
This is quite significant. I would go as far as to say it is unrealistic now but I am sure some "expert" somewhere will slap my observation in the face.

This is a big improvement. The match engine is generally excellent now. The one issue I have made out so far is that the woodwork is being hit too frequently. I'd be interested to hear if others have found the same. I also still think there are slightly too few goals in leagues not played in full detail, but not by so much that it's a game breaker. Good work.

Woodwork issue was mentioned earlier by PaulC as being fixed in the next update.

Loving the changes to the ME. The flow of the game feel a lot better now.

However, I've notice in my current save that the issue of adjusting wage budget and transfer budget has not resolve yet. I still cannot adjust my wage budget despite having plenty of transfer fund available. Did that miss the cut off or is it something that i need to start a new game to see?

Mentioned before but posted in the bugs forum and got redirected here.

The team simply does not follow set-piece instructions.

ftp://ftp-public@ftp.sigames.com/fm/game-screenshots/Attack%20corner%20Instructions-Burgalveist.png - Attacking corner

ftp://ftp-public@ftp.sigames.com/fm/game-screenshots/Attacking%20free%20kicks-Burgalveist.png - attacking free kicks

ftp://ftp-public@ftp.sigames.com/fm/game-screenshots/Defending%20Free%20Kicks-%20Burgalveist.png - defending freekicks

ftp://ftp-public@ftp.sigames.com/fm/game-screenshots/Defending%20set%20pieces-%20Burgalveist.png - defending corners

Here is my first two preseason games with numerous examples of these instructions being ignored.

ftp://ftp-public@ftp.sigames.com/fm/game-pkm/Celtic%20v%20FC%20København.pkm - Celtic V Kobenhaven

ftp://ftp-public@ftp.sigames.com/fm/game-pkm/Celtic%20v%20Spartak%20Moscow.pkm - Celtic v Spartak

Not here to get on at you guys but it did seem to be a well reported issue well before the two week cut off point and in my eyes a lot more frustrating than CCC detection or some other gripes.

Do you use the player personalised instructions? If you do, did you alter your set-piece instructions before or after creating the personalised instructions? Because I've noticed that no matter how I'd change the set-piece instructions my players would always follow the instructions that were active when their personalised instructions were created. So to get them to follow the new set-piece instructions I had to delete all personalised instructions and then recreate them.

I'm noticing this too. In fact, I've seen more free kicks from just outside the area in my last eight games than I saw in the 25 or so before that in this season.

Also, every corner seems to go to the back post now. I suppose it's a neat way of nerfing the near post corner glitch!

I too have noticed that the corner taker will put the ball to the back post almost every other time, even if you have noone to attack or stand at the far post. My corner taker will practically lob the ball to the same empty spot every other time, often resulting in an opposing throw in as there is no one to pick up the ball before it exits the sideline.

It's not a big problem, I just had to put a player in that position, but it's there.

Edit: It should be noted that my corners are set to random.

Have you read the thread?

Some of those newgens are pretty average to be fair.

Have you read his thread RTHerringbone? If we are being fair then you must look at the time period these games are being played in. 2019 Ackter is in. Thats 6 years nearly of bad (I mean BAD) AI squad building. On top of that I bet my bottom dollar he has been at Newcastle from the start grooming these Physical and Mental monsters to worship the ground he walks on. In 6 years a seasoned player like him will have cut all the rift raft and made a side that are capable of winning every competition they enter in to. He will have a 11 Model Citzens (ok maybe just professionals) who are all friends, can run faster than Bolt and who can out muscle a Rhino.

I have read his thread and looked at what the pictures tell me about the hidden attributes of his players. Average is a gross understatement.

Aaaahh, at last, the update.

A huge improvement on the ''overall'' feeling of the game.

-Better defending

-Better choices from the wingers in terms of crossing, passing, or get inside the penalty area

-Better ratio regarding domination/CCC/shots/actual scoreline

-Erm, generally, better.:D

Dont you change a thing now, regardless of what people may say/complain about here.

Pretty please. With sugar on top. Dont change a thing.

Wait for FM15.:p

So what's actually the problem? Do you want most of your woodwork shots to go in? A fix to this will probably mean that those shots go high or wide instead, so you're not missing out on goals.

Sorry. What's your problem? :)

I don't want the most of woodwork to go in. I'm just saying 5 woodwork per match it's a bitter too high ratio. And what exactly makes you think a fix would drive the ball high or wide and not in goal? Are you a developer?

Not "on holiday", using Instant Result in FMC mode actually (you know that thing SI have been heavily promoting, and a feature Miles waxed lyrical about in the pre release vids). Also an issue SI claimed to have fixed 2 updates ago (but it wasn't fixed). As a moderator maybe you should not make assumptions about how people play the game. To be fair, and the point you probably attemped to make, my way of playing the game, is a minority way - I know and do appreciate that but it still stinks in my opinion.

Wow I only get sounds with my game, where did you get the smells from? :D

Archived