FM 2014 Pre-Release Beta - Official feedback thread.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Started my first save with OGC Nice. Am rolling with their 4-1DM-2-2-1 tactic to expected success (challenging for European spots).

The new tactic system is awesome. Much simpler and easier to understand and much more "viewable" on the pitch. Players follow instructions much more predictably now, with one exception. For the life of me, I can not get the keeper to distribute to the backline despite that exact instruction being selected. But my it's crazy how faithfully my wingers are doing exactly what I want them to do!

Thank you for your reply.

I'm reading a lot of users having great results. I want to turn into the devil's lawyer: is it not too easy? I remember last years posts full of anger and frustration because of the difficulty of the game, due most likely to a wrong perception of the tactic and the engine (that had its issues, no doubt on this). But now everybody seems happy and winning.

This scares me: loss = unplayable, worst game ever - wins = fantastic game

Mmm mmm...

This post appears a bit confused?

You mention that a manager would never use a quantified measurement to communicate an instruction, and immediately after that, you state that all the top teams use quantifiable measures.....

I'm going to help you out and suggest that he was being sarcastic in the first sentence. Are you German by any chance?

"But why are you saying something which you are not really meaning?" etc

I'm going to help you out and suggest that he was being sarcastic in the first sentence. Are you German by any chance?

"But why are you saying something which you are not really meaning?" etc

...top marks for a bit of casual racism, well played.

Hi Scannelljim, thanks a lot for the feedback. Glad to see you've given MLS a go.

I wasn't 100% I understood your point about International Slots, but if you view your club's Transfers -> Clauses screen, you will be able to see what International Slots you have traded in and out of the club at present. Does this solve the problem you were having?

A guide to help 1st time managers in MLS and some way of equating value on the various trade elements are interesting suggestions we should definitely consider for future versions.

Henry: The "Clauses" section under transfers does show the international slot that I traded away for two seasons, but doesn't actually tell me how many international slots I have left to play with. I think some of that info is hidden on the squad registration screen. Still, it's not an intuitive process, and certainly any new player right now who tries MLS is going to find that they have to make quick decisions about trade offers involving these international slots, and it isn't easy to evaluate those deals. When I receive one of those trade offers, it would be nice if a little reminder text popped up with the offer to tell me how many slots I have to negotiate with, or how many slots I am currently using.

Everything seems good so far, just really struggling with the bright white skin but that's the same every year wish SI would think about people with sensitive eyes.

I know, I had to stop playing, I get migraines easily so I couldn't play for more than an hour or so :/

ANYTHING I Can do??? A black background? Anything?? Please?

T24

Everything seems good so far, just really struggling with the bright white skin but that's the same every year wish SI would think about people with sensitive eyes.

As mentioned they develop in the default skin only. Only when they are happy with pretty much everything do they do another skin, so they don't have to check for errors twice in development.

• SI Staff
Anyone from SI can answer? It's an error?

(I ticked in preferences to show the ID numbers)

This is the case for all competitions in game and was also the case for FM13.

If you think it should be something that is displayed then please report it in the User Interface bugs forum - http://community.sigames.com/forumdisplay.php/350-User-Interface

Thank you for your reply.

I'm reading a lot of users having great results. I want to turn into the devil's lawyer: is it not too easy? I remember last years posts full of anger and frustration because of the difficulty of the game, due most likely to a wrong perception of the tactic and the engine (that had its issues, no doubt on this). But now everybody seems happy and winning.

This scares me: loss = unplayable, worst game ever - wins = fantastic game

Mmm mmm...

I would say it is easier to get your players to do what you want, for sure; but no, it's not too easy or too hard. It is just an even better representation of football than last year's version.

I would imagine making it out of the Lower Leagues will be "harder" due to agent fees now coming out of transfer budgets, but I think that was a nod to how the real world works and not some artificial "let's crank up the difficulty" move

And I didn't say I was playing as Nice and running away with Ligue 1. I'm saying I was able to jump right in the current squad and play a simple formation and get results that could easily be seen in the real world from the real sqauad. E.g. the real OGC nice is averaging 1.5 points a game with a +1 GD. I'm getting 1.6 points a game with a +1 GD (i.e. playing with discipline and grinding it out)

Loving the game!

However, anyone else noticing that 90% of your goals are from double or triple rebounds? I've scored exactly 1 clean goal out of the 15 or so I've scored. The rest tend to go off the woodwork, then off the keeper, and then in the net. Or some variation of thereof.

Not a huge issue, but it seems a little silly that every goal is like that, whether kicking or heading.

Glitch to report: I'm about to play against Liverpool on boxing day and the game keeps closing when I try to begin the match, and I get a message saying "football manager 2014 closed unexpectedly'. Any idea what could be causing this? I really hope I don't lose my saved game. It's going well for once.

• Administrators
Glitch to report: I'm about to play against Liverpool on boxing day and the game keeps closing when I try to begin the match, and I get a message saying "football manager 2014 closed unexpectedly'. Any idea what could be causing this? I really hope I don't lose my saved game. It's going well for once.

Raise the issue here and we'll look into it for you - http://community.sigames.com/forumdisplay.php/342-Crashes-Game-Launch-and-Technical-Issues

Is there any way to ask my midfield to man mark, while the defence does zone?

How can I make the defenders collect for Gk like in FM13? My gk keeps booting the ball when doing a goal kick, I have tried every setting it seems. I don't want to force gk to pass to just one specific defender, I want him to just pass it to one of them instead putting air on the ball.

I would say it is easier to get your players to do what you want, for sure; but no, it's not too easy or too hard. It is just an even better representation of football than last year's version.

I would imagine making it out of the Lower Leagues will be "harder" due to agent fees now coming out of transfer budgets, but I think that was a nod to how the real world works and not some artificial "let's crank up the difficulty" move

And I didn't say I was playing as Nice and running away with Ligue 1. I'm saying I was able to jump right in the current squad and play a simple formation and get results that could easily be seen in the real world from the real sqauad. E.g. the real OGC nice is averaging 1.5 points a game with a +1 GD. I'm getting 1.6 points a game with a +1 GD (i.e. playing with discipline and grinding it out)

Thats great! Yeah actually it was a general consideration of mine about results having a lot of people here, so I assumed the game was much easier to handle this year :)

Is there any way to ask my midfield to man mark, while the defence does zone?

How can I make the defenders collect for Gk like in FM13? My gk keeps booting the ball when doing a goal kick, I have tried every setting it seems. I don't want to force gk to pass to just one specific defender, I want him to just pass it to one of them instead putting air on the ball.

I'm having trouble with your second issue as well. Cannot get the GK to pass to backline to save my life. About ready to post in the bugs thread.

I will admit to being a newbie when it comes to playing this series. My question for those currently playing the Beta is this, with the changes to tactics, shouts, etc. would you say that the changes make it easier for a newbie to pick up on how to play the game or is there still the large learning curve? I am not asking if it easier to win, but is it easier to understand how to play and thus easier to get started and continue on?

I will admit to being a newbie when it comes to playing this series. My question for those currently playing the Beta is this, with the changes to tactics, shouts, etc. would you say that the changes make it easier for a newbie to pick up on how to play the game or is there still the large learning curve? I am not asking if it easier to win, but is it easier to understand how to play and thus easier to get started and continue on?

100000% easier to pick up on the tactics with the new system.

There's going to be an absolute mountain of super or cheat tactics developed for this game due to the 'streamlining' of the tactical side of the game. Doesn't bother me personally as I never use d/loaded tactics, but just wait for the overwhelming amount of bragging threads/posts, and people calling it the 'best version ever' because of this.

In that sense, SI have played a blinder.

The last couple of versions have been changing from the old system of designing tactics using sliders to the new 'Tactics Creator'. The change has happened now, the sliders have gone and it's much simpler to pick up and play. Much easier to get started, though it will probably still be tricky to get really good at it.

There's going to be an absolute mountain of super or cheat tactics developed for this game due to the 'streamlining' of the tactical side of the game. Doesn't bother me personally as I never use d/loaded tactics, but just wait for the overwhelming amount of bragging threads/posts, and people calling it the 'best version ever' because of this.

In that sense, SI have played a blinder.

If you knew the history of super tactics you would assess this differently. There is reason why they have become less common throughout the years and if anything fm 2014 will follow that trend.

Any observations regarding fbs overlapping? I thought overlapping runs have been a tad sparse in fm previously.

Totally agree. I think the old system of tactics is much better for people, who understand football. I hate the current system of tactics. I say FM = tactics with sliders. FM without sliders isn't FM! I don't know why the old system was removed. Players should choose if they want to play with the current system of tactics or with the old one. I'm really disappointed. :-(

I could not disagree with you more. This tactics system is, for me, the one for people who understand football. You'll never see a manager who is asking to "waste time from 2 to 3" Every manager will say drop deep or drop deeper than you are now, no one will say drop deep and drop deeper for 2 more...

If you knew the history of super tactics you would assess this differently. There is reason why they have become less common throughout the years and if anything fm 2014 will follow that trend.

Any observations regarding fbs overlapping? I thought overlapping runs have been a tad sparse in fm previously.

Don't worry about him, he's just being "that guy".

100000% easier to pick up on the tactics with the new system.

This is not such a great news to me. Well of course for SI means more people will be able to fully enjoy the game, a great benefit for them. But as hardcore player, I fear this will allow everybody to create a supertactic from the scratch, even for people who just approached the game. Mmmmmm.

Position panel on Player Profile screen is almost useless. Pitch is very small, and it's not easy to differentiate which positions are natural. I need to go to Personal details screen, where it's much larger.

Another year has passed...

Did they fixed these few bugs at all?

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/322151-*Official-13.0.2-Updated-Pre-Order-Beta-Feedback*-Keep-all-Feedback-in-here-please!?p=8206816#post8206816

Dear SI Staff

After playing fm 2013 demo for 2 days(and cm/fm series for 15 years) I have to say I am dissapointed a lot with so called "improvements" in Fm 2013.

It's seems that the only relevant "new" feature is the fm classic and chalenge mode ,while the "normal" game mode only recived GUI improvments.

Once again si games has put major effort in redesign of fm user intarface, and very little has been done about major "weak spots" of FM that need improving.

I feel like you changed te GUI again just so you can sell the same game again(+DB update), for a considerable amount of money(50€).

And guess what i belive that cm/fm fans (addicts) dont care so much about this aspect of the game.

The biggest problem with FM stayed the same - Computer AI for buying players and building squads.

If i take any PL club of top 5-6 club , in about 2-3 seasons, i will start wining PL titles every season because there is no real competition,

In fm 2012 in my last save game I played with Man united.

In my first season i won the Premier League and CL ,but it with a lot of luck!

in the next 2 seasons after that i was second becouse i sold most of the players ,and started building the team MY WAY, developing my youth players, buying talented 14-17 old's and free transfers.

From season 14/15 to 18/19 i have won 5 titles in row whit ease (2. team is always 10-20 points behind me ) , then i lost interest and stoped playing.

Man city has all the money but AI still isn't capable of buliding a team that will challenge mine, they buy a lot of players that play in the same position..

Arsenal buy's a excelent DC for 13 M that should easely be in the first team, after one season and only 5 league games , the sell him to valencia for 5 M. There are many examples like this...

Only realistic team is Liverpool , they mostly buy crappy-overpriced players.

An things are much worse if you play in a lover reputation league.

I usualy play with Hajduk Split in Croatian first division. After 3 seasons i can win-a championship with my "C" team....

In the long run the game becomes boring , even in LLM.

AI is useless!!

Only exception is playing with Atletic Bilbao, it's almost imposible to win the League

Another thing that realy kills the game is players in non-active leagues.

If i am playing with Man utd with only england as active nation, and i go and check stats of for example Barcelona players , you can always find some of the best players

managing only 12 -15 league appereances (without being injured). So you have Messi wining best player in europe ,but in 5 seasons he has maybe 60 league appereances total.

This is a bug that's present in the game for years.

Also youth development is very strange!

If I am playing with Hajduk in Croatia (only croatia is active) even with the best staff and best facilites i get very bad regens.And if i take a look at regens at Barca, United, Real, Liverpool , they get Wonderkids every year!

Then i start a new game with Man United,a and in 8 seasons i got only 1 realy good regen from my academy ,but now Hajduk has 3x better regens then before (even without good coaches and Top academy).

In active leagues regens are always crap!

These are the things you sholud improve, and not vaste time with changing GUI every year (so it's less obvious that it's the SAME GAME+ DB update) and making a traditional MAJOR BUG in every new release .

YOU ARE NOT EA GAMES (i hope).

I believe this year I won't be buying Fm, because paying 50€ for a "patch" + new skin is WAY TOO MUCH .

You obviously spent most of the time developing fm classic(handheld) and you shoud maybe sell that as as separate game/prouduct(It has a target audience for sure).

Greetings from Croatia

P.S

Unlockables

This is not such a great news to me. Well of course for SI means more people will be able to fully enjoy the game, a great benefit for them. But as hardcore player, I fear this will allow everybody to create a supertactic from the scratch, even for people who just approached the game. Mmmmmm.

What are you talking about?

The sliders were the problem with "supertactics". People playing around with them until they finally stumbled across something that exploited a flaw in the ME. The way it is now is how tactics are done in real life, and that's only ever a positive thing. If the new system allows newcomers to the game to easily get across they're instructions then that's great, the sliders weren't only unrealistic but they were a roadblock for newcomers.

And that hardcore gamer remark was laughable.

Gone to "Transfer Centre" > "Transfer Targets" Ask (name) to suggest transfer targets. Tried 'transfer' Midfielder left all roles. Found nothing. Happened every time, loan, transfer, free transfer. Not sure if I'm doing it wrong?

Doing nothing wrong he is only looking into you own added transfer targets i think.. not in a whole list.

Am i missing something? All i don't see are the sliders. Rest everything is the same as last year except maybe role ratings under name.

Yes .. that and 100 other new things (sometimes small but important like 3d animations are little bit different, news system,transfer system, giving players different roles and instructions per position etc..)

What are you talking about?

The sliders were the problem with "supertactics". People playing around with them until they finally stumbled across something that exploited a flaw in the ME. The way it is now is how tactics are done in real life, and that's only ever a positive thing. If the new system allows newcomers to the game to easily get across they're instructions then that's great, the sliders weren't only unrealistic but they were a roadblock for newcomers.

And that hardcore gamer remark was laughable.

Yeah.

Well, calm down eh?

I just said my opinion, it seems to me this tactical system is way too much simplified, I haven't said it is not realistic or not the right thing to do. But I fear all these positives comments belong to being successful with the game thanks to a more "handable" tactic sytem. There is no doubt sliders gave a lot of problems in the past, (especially with FM13) because people couldn't learn their meaning easily in my opinion. "Easy to play, hard to master" was the sentence I read the most. In my opinion it seems now it turns into an "Easy to play, easy to master"... but you know I was just just asking some impressions and I might be wrong about mine.

This doesn't allow you to reply in such way.

I completely disagree with you, but even if I didn't, why do you care if someone else creates a supertactic to use for themselves? This isn't a head to head competition.

Archived