Football Manager 2024 Official Feedback Thread

Anyone know how to get the hoyd to sign players who actually fit into the current playing system? I gave him control to look for young player for the future and make bids, but I play a narrow system with no wingers, first player he tries to sign, is of course a winger

Edited by craiigman

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, craiigman said:

Anyone know how to get the hoyd to sign players who actually fit into the current playing system? I gave him control to look for young player for the future and make bids, but I play a narrow system with no wingers, first player he tries to sign, is of course a winger

Does the HOYD preferred formation has wingers? That is usually why as they don't care what system YOU want to use or have in the tactic screen, they live in their own preferred little world and recruit players whom they would use if he/she would be the manager. 

Edited by marioNOW

4 minutes ago, stevemc said:

Odds on very soon being before the weekend? Personally, I don’t feel like FM24 is in a good enough place to start a long term save until it’s patched some of the issues raised in the bugs forum, which is what I was hoping to do at launch, feel like I’m still “beta-ing”.

I'd certainly hope so as seen this is the first time I believe they've never implemented any gameplay fixes from beta to full version. I think only the second time they haven't made any ME changes.

I hope they're not waiting on database changes (as seen as the data lock was the 18th of October) before releasing GAMEPLAY fixes and ME stuff as seen as the db changes can easily be made on the editor by players.

1 hour ago, limey150781 said:

The Match Engine is literally the same as Beta....so. 

Yep, someone said this after the post and I responded there. Basic summary not sure why I suddenly have these issues so suddenly  in relation to a penalty or two given almost every game now and someone had stated about other changes likely effecting it. 

Either way it's about feedback and that's where in currently feeling things needed mentioning from my attempts of playing since the full release.

19 minutes ago, stevemc said:

Odds on very soon being before the weekend? Personally, I don’t feel like FM24 is in a good enough place to start a long term save until it’s patched some of the issues raised in the bugs forum, which is what I was hoping to do at launch, feel like I’m still “beta-ing”.

Ahem... that's not feedback! 

34 minutes ago, stevemc said:

id be very surprised if theres any major updates before dec

17 minutes ago, DavutOzkan said:

Ahem... that's not feedback! 

This part…

Personally, I don’t feel like FM24 is in a good enough place to start along term save until it’s patched some of the issues raised in the bugs forum, which is what I was hoping to do at launch, feel like I’m still “beta-ing”.

…is customer feedback. Same feedback I’ve left on my :thdn: Steam review. I’ve left feedback previously and raised bugs too. Happy to update my Steam review once the game is in a more complete state and bares closer resemblance to the “most complete FM to date” that was in the marketing. I’m not quite getting that feeling four days after launch.

2 hours ago, The Amazing Dale Watkins said:

I have an inkling of how this happened. I bet someone working on something else discovered that as a new feature in the third-party library they're using for the models, tried it out because it only took a few lines of code, and showed it to someone else who goes "sure, why not?". It was likely a very cheap feature to implement, also with little impact to QA.  Or maybe it was someone's intern project.

Either way, I don't believe some other feature was deprioritized because of it.

Maybe, but it as was listed in the quality of life upgrades blog, it must have been more than just a 'sure, why not' decision. 

image.png.f0ff044a20e5be605f6471a3b818b5ce.png

55 minutes ago, marioNOW said:

Does the HOYD preferred formation has wingers? That is usually why as they don't care what system YOU want to use or have in the tactic screen, they live in their own preferred little world and recruit players whom they would use if he/she would be the manager. 

It's a 442, player he wanted was AMR only, not MR. Strange but probably was the issue. If he does anymore I will take him off buying

4 minutes ago, craiigman said:

Where on earth is the option to change a players playing time outside of the contract negotiations? I cannot find it for the life of me

in squad view right click on a player go to squad on drop downs more drop downs  agreed playing time at the bottom

I haven't used the new 'targets' yet (finding it best to stay away from interactions as much as possible!) but just had a thought - player has come to me asking for a new contract as it doesn't reflect the player he has become, which is fair enough. Seems like the ideal time to drop in a target for the season and if they achieve it they can get their better deal / higher wages.

From what I've read, the targets for things like improving training are being tied to promises of a new contract when this isn't really why the interaction started up in the first place.

Makes much more sense in this scenario of a player asking for an increase in wages - if you prove it by hitting this target, you can get your deal. Just a thought.

Ah, edit - have just checked and you can offer a target in this scenario! D'oh! But up to the player if they agree.

Edited by jayedson

1 minute ago, jayedson said:

I haven't used the new 'targets' yet (finding it best to stay away from interactions as much as possible!) but just had a thought - player has come to me asking for a new contract as it doesn't reflect the player he has become, which is fair enough. Seems like the ideal time to drop in a target for the season and if they achieve it they can get their better deal / higher wages.

From what I've read, the targets for things like improving training are being tied to promises of a new contract when this isn't really why the interaction started up in the first place.

Makes much more sense in this scenario of a player asking for an increase in wages - if you prove it by hitting this target, you can get your deal. Just a thought.

I have a post a page or two up the thread about how illogical/confusing all this is. You're right, contextually its disjointed, I've had conversations where I appear to be promising something but I'm not sure what it is. It's a mess I'm afraid. 

4 minutes ago, janrzm said:

I have a post a page or two up the thread about how illogical/confusing all this is. You're right, contextually its disjointed, I've had conversations where I appear to be promising something but I'm not sure what it is. It's a mess I'm afraid. 

I quite like the idea as a feature but you're right in terms of how it's been applied in game.

Too intrinsically linked to contracts at the moment so every target seems to come with this promise of 'securing the player's future' (with a contract).

The improvement in a player's playing time if they hit a target is fair enough in contract negotiations, but maybe future versions of FM can change how targets work with regards to squad management.

Would be good to see varying results across personality and mental attributes (such as determination) moving up and down based on if players hit targets or not.

Means we as managers would have to weigh up whether to set a target for a player in an attempt to increase their determination or professionalism for example, but if they don't hit the target, those things might take a hit instead.

Or the personality of the player to start with would impact how they would respond to their success or failure (would an unprofessional player become more complacent when meeting a target, and would a professional player increase in determination and work rate if they failed to meet a target for example).

vor 40 Minuten schrieb Mush1983:

in squad view right click on a player go to squad on drop downs more drop downs  agreed playing time at the bottom

Or, player, happiness.

Ups,  too late.

Edited by Conardo

Just now, stevemc said:

Have only recently come back to the forums. What are the biggest issue bugs for long term saves? As I might decide to hold off on mine until a patch is released.

2 minutes ago, tcoleman1 said:

Have only recently come back to the forums. What are the biggest issue bugs for long term saves? As I might decide to hold off on mine until a patch is released.

page 14, 2 posts now in blue

9 minutes ago, tcoleman1 said:

The AI Squad building and general management just isn't there, in any respect. Squad rotation; use of substitutions; lack of consistency with youth development; logic in recognizing squad depth and appropriately buying for preferred formations and tactics, and a bunch of other issues. If you're into long-term saves - especially journeyman saves, where you plan on moving from club-to-club on expiring contracts (provided you aren't sacked lol) - it's better to wait for a patch and also check the patch notes on how these things have been fixed.

Ok, what is actually wrong with AI squad building?

I holidayed forward to 2041 and honestly, the AI squads look pretty good to me? Yes the PL squads seem to bloat a bit as the PL clubs throw around the money they have, which is hardly unrealistic to be fair, but the squad quality looks fine, they don't seem to be actively missing players for the formation they use and they are mostly fine depth wise (and what squad truly has no depth issues in any position?). Yes, there are still stupid transfers, no doubt, especially in the PL with clubs waving around their massive budget a bit too eagerly, but it's not like real life is that different.

5 minutes ago, Bahoi said:

Kind reminder that you can leave feedback with such opinions or feelings on other platforms/sites/services.

Given the lack of acknowledgement to major bugs and deafening silence re: a patch to resolve them, a cynic would say that this forum thread only exists to help contain the waves of negative feedback. Limiting their exposure to the 1% of overall players who visit the forum, rather than the general purchasing public. 

Again, not my words... just what a cynic might say if they'd spent £45 on a game that is unplayable. 

Decided to load up an older FM23 game in which I was Birmingham. Really good save as we didn't have much firepower, best players were defenders (and even then probably L1 standard) and really had to grind and be cautious and try get lucky with point/s. We actually ended up finishing like 16th before anyone has a pop :D . But I found a save from the midway point in the season. Below we can see the results from the FM23 engine:

FM23: 41 goals from 21 games - 1.95 GPG.

image.png.f4528069f43b531ba53455165fc71e9b.png

FM24 (same tactic):  45 goals from 12 games - 3.75GPG

image.png.83a7d3ac37e2bbfb4c936b41df375ca4.png

Then just also to show how the same fixtures played out on FM23:

28 goals from 14 games GPG: 2.00

image.png.51e20885f1e879c0166684ec99dc2230.png

56 minutes ago, MrPompey said:

page 14, 2 posts now in blue

Thank you for that. I will probably consider waiting until I start my main Chelsea save.

Out of interest do you know (or anyone know) if the real world option will update after the January update? 

I love to play the game in it's most complete state but used to hate having the players move 6 months before they actually do as it depletes the realism!

FM 23 GPG is too low for my liking.. FM 24 is more varied in results... Yes there are a bit more high scoring games than usual but i also see 0-0.. Besides i ve just shown my last  european tie ended in 0-0 with the AI GK getting 10...

never had the issue with FM 23 on player interactions, but this seems painful.

playing as United, Onana error after error, low scores gets dropped for 10 games, backup keeper playing well, top league, no one in the squad unhappy, morale good etc but x3 team leaders come complaining I dont play him

after 1st trying to say were doing well they all get hissy & meeting ends with x3 team leads in a huff.. quite annoying

image.thumb.png.5ad7e160806c43c448a9585c34615c0d.png

Just making sure I'm not losing the plot here, if I set the team training to delegate, but keep the individual training to me, then the individual training I set should stay that way until I change it right? Like it doesn't change on it's own unless I delegate that?

Cause all the individual training I set up has changed itself :mad:

3 hours ago, marioNOW said:

This is when SI make things too complicated. Anyone can have a preferred formation, but if I’m employing you and I play a certain way, I expect players of that style and calibre. It’s not like the director of football is physically watching the players, he’s delegating or using his contacts in the football world

I am notcing some differences in the engine, using the same tactic as before, seems to be less passing centrally compared to before. I also now have the really high scoring games which I wasn't getting before.

Edited by craiigman

I'm not seeing numbers like that at all:

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.d407a43e861be5a923e797ee20bd160d.png

The average goals per game are a bit higher than real life, with roughly 2.9 GPG so far, compared to the general 2.5-2.6GPG the league sees in real life, but that's by no means a game breaking difference.

There clearly seems to be something funky for some people, but without the ability to properly point out where the issue lies specifically it's hard to say what's wrong and why some cases produce some absurd goal numbers.

10 minutes ago, Freakiie said:

I'm not seeing numbers like that at all:

Hide contents

image.thumb.png.d407a43e861be5a923e797ee20bd160d.png

The average goals per game are a bit higher than real life, with roughly 2.9 GPG so far, compared to the general 2.5-2.6GPG the league sees in real life, but that's by no means a game breaking difference.

There clearly seems to be something funky for some people, but without the ability to properly point out where the issue lies specifically it's hard to say what's wrong and why some cases produce some absurd goal numbers.

Please continue this over the course of the season and see how it turns out, will be interesting to see. Both the xG table over/underperformance and the actual table to work out the GPG!

I've not had a single test or save that doesn't so far sadly 

EDIT - the numbers in your xG and then using the calculations from the over/under performance and matches played show a GPG of 3.2 if my maths is correct for you rather than 2.9.

Edited by Domoboy23

On 08/11/2023 at 22:33, Deano565 said:

I found the beta unplayable due to the goalkeeper injuries, lack of AI subs, unrealistic number of goals, mentoring taking a straight copy of the senior player's personality, and issues with player interactions, amongst others. 

After a couple of days resisting playing the full release, knowing that most issues weren't fixed, I succumbed and thought I'd start. Some of it must be fixed, surely?

38 mins into my first friendly, first choice goalkeeper breaks his arm. 70 mins in, second choice goalkeeper breaks his arm. 

This thread may as well be closed until a patch is released. It's quite obvious what the core 10 issues are. 

Whilst I completely agree with these issues you've highlighted, as I've seen all of them in my own new save.

However, in my ported FM23 save I was not seeing them, at all. I'm not sure why this would be, but I'm pausing my new save and going back to my ported FM23 save.

I'll report back if I do see them happen though.

2 saat önce, Bahoi said:

How is it possible that only three teams out of eighteen (3/18) are underperforming their xG, while fifteen are overperforming.

Mind you not, those who are underperforming are doing so by a max of 6, while does who are overperforming are, as a median, doing it by 7, with a max of 11.58.

Numbers are clear, fellas, I know, pkms and pkms, but the issue is obvious. There are too many goals scored in my save.

Can anyone else post this metric please? It's in the League - Team Stats - Detailed - Attacking.

Thank you.

EDIT: Posting the fm23 comparison with the save where I left it. You be the judges. Exactly half of the teams are overperforming, exactly half are under. Also, max Over is a staggering 4.24 (vs 11.58 in fm24). 

Screenshot 2023-11-09 232938.png

Screenshot 2023-11-09 233807.png

It is one of the many examples for recent editions to have bad examples promoting new features never used by players. Game engine does not necessarily have similar form of statistics such as real stats. So XG is useless such as most statistics. What matters is player interaction and AI tactics in football game.

Edited by baris28

3 hours ago, Domoboy23 said:

Decided to load up an older FM23 game in which I was Birmingham. Really good save as we didn't have much firepower, best players were defenders (and even then probably L1 standard) and really had to grind and be cautious and try get lucky with point/s. We actually ended up finishing like 16th before anyone has a pop :D . But I found a save from the midway point in the season. Below we can see the results from the FM23 engine:

FM23: 41 goals from 21 games - 1.95 GPG.

image.png.f4528069f43b531ba53455165fc71e9b.png

FM24 (same tactic):  45 goals from 12 games - 3.75GPG

image.png.83a7d3ac37e2bbfb4c936b41df375ca4.png

Then just also to show how the same fixtures played out on FM23:

28 goals from 14 games GPG: 2.00

image.png.51e20885f1e879c0166684ec99dc2230.png

It’s your tactic :ackter:

unless it isn’t actually your tactic  :brock:

The predictability of being 3 goals ahead most games and ending up drawing/losing in the last 15minutes of games is absolutely painful, there is literally nothing you can do to stop it either, go defensive, waste time, slow pace down...whatever it just doesn't work. Games unplayable at the minute and wish I never bought it.