Does anyone actually enjoy the media and player interactions?

I do wonder how many times in real life when the manager gets a report about a player training really well, he has to check his praise spreadsheet to ensure that the player is not going to kick off at being praised too often or whatever

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, FrazT said:

I do wonder how many times in real life when the manager gets a report about a player training really well, he has to check his praise spreadsheet to ensure that the player is not going to kick off at being praised too often or whatever

So is that back? It was in FM22, never saw it in 21 or 23.

29 minutes ago, Knoftvar said:

The media has become a major chore since the UI changed a few years ago. It used to be a nice simple list you could get through quickly and now info spewed all over the screen.

Yeh it's a real mess currently. You can have like 12 different answers in big squares all over the screen and even some off it. What happened to just having them in a list 

What's annoying is the media would be SO EASY TO FIX!

As a game developer ( tabletop RPGs) I know how you CAN create tension, branchig, and give real decisons with consequences even with paper books!

For example, press conferences.  Simplify it by:

1. The question is asked.

2. You have a row of buttons to click with your reponse tone : Highly positive, positive, neutral, disinterested, negative, hostile, angry

3. Simply click how you feel about the question and a set of 3-5 tonal answers come up underneath, ranging from least to most detailed/specific right to left.#

That's it.  

Quick to move through and easy with no walls of options, as you have filtered them.

Then just make the answers relevant, and be able to ANSWER the question.

So if you're sliding down the table after your board sold your top three players in the past three months - allow them them to say it!

Whoever is on the FM interactions team really needs to be replaced tbh.

Anything that takes a half a dozen clicks before and after every match isnt worth it to me in a long save its still too much time and too many clicks.

player interaction very quickly doesnt become fun or immersive it just becomes a chore. it isnt challenging either. and if you completely forget it basically nothing happens to you. ive played in 2050s not doing any interaction and my team never stuttered once we were established in a build a nation save.

I see no way to make media/player interactions fun or entertaining or challenging while not feeling like a complete chore.

same goes with squad planner and sort of meetings. i still dont know why either are in the game.

20 hours ago, jazbo said:

What's annoying is the media would be SO EASY TO FIX!

As a game developer ( tabletop RPGs) I know how you CAN create tension, branchig, and give real decisons with consequences even with paper books!

For example, press conferences.  Simplify it by:

1. The question is asked.

2. You have a row of buttons to click with your reponse tone : Highly positive, positive, neutral, disinterested, negative, hostile, angry

3. Simply click how you feel about the question and a set of 3-5 tonal answers come up underneath, ranging from least to most detailed/specific right to left.#

That's it.  

Quick to move through and easy with no walls of options, as you have filtered them.

Then just make the answers relevant, and be able to ANSWER the question.

So if you're sliding down the table after your board sold your top three players in the past three months - allow them them to say it!

Whoever is on the FM interactions team really needs to be replaced tbh.

Love this. Nice and simple. Hope SI listen.

Started a save with Rangers. Had to leave out 3 senior players from the CL squad. Left out Balogun, Dessers and Dowell. 13 players now oppose me because I left out Kieran Dowell and 25 players agree with their team mate. He just joined the club!

I would expect him to get upset but can't imagine the entire dressing room turning on me because of this. Highest levels of badges and experience too.

Edited by rafaelbenitez

So far, yes. The only issues with player interaction so far, coming from personalities like Balanced with negative media handling style like Outspoken; but these type of players is my first priority to be removed from the team. One of the reason why I bring positive personalities with good media handling style. Be positive, bring positive and all well.

I recently played a 99/00 database and chose to let my AM do all of the media duties. It was nice not to be involved but at the sametime it feels like it removes a big element of the game in terms of immersion, but the immersion is limited all the same by the interactions - you're essentially playing a game most of the time to try and not fall into a trap. I've often felt times that my team fell apart in their next game just because I was cheeky enough to be complacent about the next opponents - how dare I - like the interactions are way over the top in terms of impact. I was hoping one day Chat GPA AI stuff will expand the interactions to feel more life-like, less repeatative, and not a box ticking exercise on repeat. Trying to avoid as I mentioned falling into a trap that will come back to bite you on the pitch.

On 30/10/2023 at 15:39, JimmysTheBestCop said:

same goes with squad planner and sort of meetings. i still dont know why either are in the game.

I use the squad planner regularly, probably my favourite new feature of the last few editions, particularly the polished version this year. 

57 minutes ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

I use the squad planner regularly, probably my favourite new feature of the last few editions, particularly the polished version this year. 

Squad planner is a beautiful tool. I typically play one-club game, and it's very helpful to visualize and plan upcoming 2 years squad roaster. One less thing to track in writing for me. Definitely a thumbs up from my side.

5 hours ago, Mobius said:

Am I imagining this, or did you used to be able to talk to the media about other managers in older FMs? I swear you could just slag off the Spurs manager if you wanted for example, unprompted. 

Its still there. 

5 hours ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

4 hours ago, Arijit said:

Squad planner is a beautiful tool. I typically play one-club game, and it's very helpful to visualize and plan upcoming 2 years squad roaster. One less thing to track in writing for me. Definitely a thumbs up from my side.

That is good to hear at least. Judging from all the forums/discord about FM I still wouldn't categorize it as popular or heavily feature. But  I am glad to hear people like it even if its in small numbers. Sometimes I think SI does too much things to attract new players but these new items arent as useful for long term or long save type of players.

But it is a very hard thing to balance they have to attract new players. I think they need more game options to just turn stuff off. Even if you outsource all media to assistant you still get emailed questions from media non stop. like say your player scores a goal at every international yeah thanks for those 20 extra emails per day. 

immersion is good but Si needs to do evaluation of the game to look how it can be further streamline or at least provide a player base with multiple options.

21 hours ago, SPE3D said:

Love this. Nice and simple. Hope SI listen.

Sorry how is this materially different?

a big difference would be to have only a handful of meaningful interactions in a year (let’s say between 6 and 10)…

These happen as spot moments emerging from media events, press conferences, club live streams, interviews, off the record phone conversations whatever…

each interaction spawns four or five possible responses, each with transparent logic and outcome probability.

e.g

A journalist grabs you for an off the record conversation after a media event…

”Haaland isn’t as prolific as last year, is it true you are alarmed by his form?”

1. “Look I am not being drawn on this. My loyalty to players is supreme”

80% chance newspaper runs piece on tightness of your group. Morale and manager closeness up 10% 

2. “Haaland needs to improve. He can be monstrous, but he isn’t working hard enough”

(based on Haaland personality - driven)

60% chance blog post published on private account, Haaland responds “I am determined to prove the boss wrong”

30% chance blog post published, Haaland responds, “that’s it for me and the boss. Hands on transfer request”

too busy to write out examples, but you borrow logic flow from games like CIV / paradox interactive etc,  and bake in personalities into the outcome probabilities. Outcomes are material and clearly communicated, making these interactions feel meaningful and less chore-like!

you would look forward to these moments during a calendar year…

3 hours ago, Mobius said:

Oh how do you do it? I don’t seem to see an interact button on managers profiles (I am not playing at the moment so may be misremembering!)

Well you cant just go to the coaches page and holler at him, i dont think that was ever the case. The question u asked was can u still bad-talk the opposing coach to the media? Yes, if they ask you about him, as it has always been. 

ive been asked about my “relationship” with the opposing coach numerous times already, I almost always go with “I dont know him much, but hope to get to know him better” when I start in a job, then as seasons pass and I start getting angry/hating certain teams or coaches, then I blast off on them, as it does give u options to “blast” the opposing coach. 

yes, thats still there in fm24. 

1 hour ago, Tonton_Zola said:

a big difference would be to have only a handful of meaningful interactions in a year (let’s say between 6 and 10)…

These happen as spot moments emerging from media events, press conferences, club live streams, interviews, off the record phone conversations whatever…

each interaction spawns four or five possible responses, each with transparent logic and outcome probability.

e.g

”Haaland isn’t as prolific as last year, is it true you are alarmed by his form?”

80% chance newspaper runs piece on tightness of your group. Morale and manager closeness up 10% 

2. “Haaland needs to improve. He can be monstrous, but he isn’t working hard enough”

60% chance blog post published on private account, Haaland responds “I am determined to prove the boss wrong”

30% chance blog post published, Haaland responds, “that’s it for me and the boss. Hands on transfer request”

too busy to write out examples, but you borrow logic flow from games like CIV / paradox interactive etc,  and bake in personalities into the outcome probabilities. Outcomes are material and clearly communicated, making these interactions feel meaningful and less chore-like!

Love this. Only thing id say is if 30% of the time haaland turned in a transfer request based on that, there would be people here having an absolute FIT. Maybe make that reaction less likely, like 10-15% the first time, maybe 20-30 the second time, meaning if u continue to negatively criticize him, then yes he may turn in a request because clearly u guys dont see eye to eye, but criticizing him once and having him turn in a transfer request 30% of the time seems EXTREME. 

but, your example is dead on. That would work wonders. 

Don't like them, don't use them, and when I do have to make just pick a quick one of the replies, regardless of consequences, because, at the end of the day, it is fictional stuff. If a fictional player hates me and hands a request for transfer I transfer him and say good ridence. Players are easy to replace with someone who is either the same level or better. That is why, I embrace delegating to my fictional staff to do it, regardless if they do good or bad.

It is a feature for me of no consequences, a waste of time, and simply there to hinder the gameplay and adds nothing to the gameplay or fun of the game.

What shocks me, is SI insisting on useless features like this, that add nothing, instead of focusing on other parts of the game or making relevant and meaningful features, that push further the gameplay.

Yes, I know managers do in real life, but there are other real-life things that exist that are never, ever going to be in the game. So that reasoning doesn't work for me.

Cheers

Edited by grade

I don't mind press conferences or player interactions, however it would be nice if you could collectively praise player conducts instead of having to do it individually.

10 hours ago, Dadecane said:

Well you cant just go to the coaches page and holler at him, i dont think that was ever the case. The question u asked was can u still bad-talk the opposing coach to the media? Yes, if they ask you about him, as it has always been. 

ive been asked about my “relationship” with the opposing coach numerous times already, I almost always go with “I dont know him much, but hope to get to know him better” when I start in a job, then as seasons pass and I start getting angry/hating certain teams or coaches, then I blast off on them, as it does give u options to “blast” the opposing coach. 

yes, thats still there in fm24. 

You could do this on the first few FMs not sure whether it was a Champ 03/04 addition.

4 hours ago, Wavelberry said:

You could do this on the first few FMs not sure whether it was a Champ 03/04 addition.

That's what I thought. 

14 hours ago, Dadecane said:

I asked if you could ever do it unprompted, but thanks for the reply.

8 hours ago, Mobius said:

That's what I thought. 

I asked if you could ever do it unprompted, but thanks for the reply.

Gotcha, well no u cant. Ive never seen that in any fm but granted I only started playing 5 yrs ago. 

you can do it when the media asks about him

As for the player interactions, I just know what to click to get the right result.

Press conferences are just meh, always been. They may add a little flavour for new players, but when you have literally tens of thousands of hours in FM, they're just a waste of time.

I'd enjoy it if it was more RPG based, not just cosmetic. Get really into conversation with the players in regards to improvements in training, make it more organic. Also during conversations, players could name drop other players of interest. Talking to other managers could also give insight into their tactical workings more. One can only dream hey... :)

3 hours ago, Prej said:

As for the player interactions, I just know what to click to get the right result.

Press conferences are just meh, always been. They may add a little flavour for new players, but when you have literally tens of thousands of hours in FM, they're just a waste of time.

This is it pretty much for me I guess. I dont dismiss that people are having trouble with the communication, revolts, etc but for me ive never had these issues, not in any fm not now in 24. Ive always tried to remember what players like/hate what reaction and then repeat it or not repeat it accordingly and I have never ever had a player or team revolt on me 🤷🏽‍♂️ most ive had is players asking for transfers but because they wanna move on to “bigger clubs” from the small ones im usually at. 

For many years now, interactions are an interesting concept but with very poor execution.

1. There is no linkage across interactions. For example, one day the player asks for something you agree on, then the next week he complains about it.

2. The blurbs (wording) make no sense. For example, emotional or rude reactions to some kind request or praise.

Again, instead of promising "revolutionary new features", SI should focus on fixing old ones.

Just about to start the 2065/66 season in FM23 (haven't got FM24 till next week) and the media side of things is so tedious even after delegating everything I can, and I get totally fed up of being asked if I'm pleased x player has scored for his country for the 50th time - what the hell are they expecting as a reply? no I'm not? 1st time he scores or gets a hat-tick then fair enough, but when you have a player who has scored over 100 international goals it gets incredibly repetitive and endless bloody messages clogging up the inbox saying x club is interested in loaning/signing x player repeated 10+ times rather than just the actual offers - recently had 38 inbox messages with only 3 worth actually reading.

I think when having press conferences and speaking with the media, there should be subtle hints about playing style and form. For example "Your coming up against a Liverpool team who enjoys genpress. Inside forward Salah, is enjoying a 3 match scoring streak, scoring against the likes of Man Utd and Barcelona, Liverpool are without Robinson on the left, due to injury and possibly #player# playing there, who lacks the pace and composure, will you be looking to exploit that. Also Liverpool are still playing in 3 other cups so will most likely look to rotate and possible change formation from their usual 4-3-3 due to player fitness"

It just seems more organic and gives the player a reason the read

On 01/11/2023 at 09:45, Dadecane said:

Love this. Only thing id say is if 30% of the time haaland turned in a transfer request based on that, there would be people here having an absolute FIT. Maybe make that reaction less likely, like 10-15% the first time, maybe 20-30 the second time, meaning if u continue to negatively criticize him, then yes he may turn in a request because clearly u guys dont see eye to eye, but criticizing him once and having him turn in a transfer request 30% of the time seems EXTREME. 

but, your example is dead on. That would work wonders. 

Yeah the example is poorly thought through, but just wanted to share the concept. The balancing wound need to be done carefully…

17 hours ago, phd_angel said:

For many years now, interactions are an interesting concept but with very poor execution.

1. There is no linkage across interactions. For example, one day the player asks for something you agree on, then the next week he complains about it.

2. The blurbs (wording) make no sense. For example, emotional or rude reactions to some kind request or praise.

Again, instead of promising "revolutionary new features", SI should focus on fixing old ones.

Or…

removing them.

On 01/11/2023 at 16:04, Tonton_Zola said:

e.g

yeah this would transform the whole interactions thing into something Paradox-esque.

CK3 with all its flaws in terms of combat and strategy still ends up hugely successful, largely because of the amazing roleplay element.

Obv FM is supposed to be a bit of a different genre but I feel that plenty of people still play their saves as a roleplaying experience. Something like this would elevate the game to a whole new level.

56 minutes ago, Scamander said:

yeah this would transform the whole interactions thing into something Paradox-esque.

CK3 with all its flaws in terms of combat and strategy still ends up hugely successful, largely because of the amazing roleplay element.

Obv FM is supposed to be a bit of a different genre but I feel that plenty of people still play their saves as a roleplaying experience. Something like this would elevate the game to a whole new level.

Yeh I think FM could learn a lot from CK3. Some good shouts here

yeah a big part of the issue is that its not clear what is taken into consideration when you have these ludicrous responses from players or squad

My estimated guess is that again reputation is a big problem factor here, it either being your personal reputation when dealing with player related issues, or the club reputation when dealing with squad.  You became champions 3 times in a row as a midtable team, but saying that you aim for a top 3 next year and the whole dressing room flips out....

7 hours ago, phd_angel said:

You can delegate all media interactions. As for player interactions, sorry but that's part of being a manager. You have to deal with humans.

It's still a game at the end of the day, and as such there has to be a balance - something that has been lost for a number of years now in the search of being as detailed as possible. 

I highly doubt those who have to deal with people 8-10 hours a day (or more) in their real life job, want to come home and wind down their day by playing a little FM want to deal with ponderous media interactions either. Personally, the franchise was far better without it all. It provided for a better overall gaming experience, which is what keeps players around. 

nope

in one my saves, my GK was mad bec i didn't play him in the cup final and the locker room supported him bec he was a highly influential player.

the game wasn't smart enough to figure out that the reason why i didn't play him was bec he was injured for 4 months running