Does anyone actually enjoy the media and player interactions?

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, russell9 said:

I would love to interact with humans, but these interactions are poorly programmed and often defy even the most basic human common sense. This aspect of the game has been problematic for many years, and it's consistently forced upon us year after year without the option to disable it. Delegation is not a viable solution either, as it still results in unwanted consequences. We need an option similar to FM Touch, where there are absolutely no interactions, or at the very least, where they have no discernible effects.

I work as a software development manager, and it's quite perplexing to see a software like FM with persistent bugs that are not resolved and are repeatedly carried over into future versions. I wonder if there are key performance indicators (KPIs) in place for the teams responsible for specific modules. If a module consistently introduces problems, the team should be held accountable, and there should be a change in leadership or even a complete overhaul of the team.

Furthermore, SI's internal quality testing procedures are also questionable. There are glaring and obvious bugs that can be easily identified by simply playing the game for half a season, yet these issues are not detected internally and are instead reported by customers during the beta phase. Once again, it appears that there are no KPIs in place to assess their work quality, leading to the same recurring issues year after year.

I totally agree with you, @russell9. I've raised points like this over the years, as someone who also works in tech/digital (but on the marketing side of things). It baffles me that SI leadership allows such flawed features to persist year in year out.

In the meantime, we have to play around FM flaws rather than by how such player interactions should realistically be.

Edited by phd_angel

7 hours ago, russell9 said:

I work as a software development manager, and it's quite perplexing to see a software like FM with persistent bugs that are not resolved and are repeatedly carried over into future versions. I wonder if there are key performance indicators (KPIs) in place for the teams responsible for specific modules. If a module consistently introduces problems, the team should be held accountable, and there should be a change in leadership or even a complete overhaul of the team.

Complacency/lack of competition is what causes this.  Why bother pouring resources into fixing something that wont have a substantial increase in sales?  At this stage its clear what is going to have the biggest potential for new customers: a new match engine in unity.

Same happened with FIFA and career mode, and the same has happened with Total War. The latter has become a complete dumpster fire. All because of the mentality "well where else are they gonna go"

press conferences are boring irl, I dont mind that. But you are a manager, you have to talk to your players. I dont understand whats going wrong with the coding either. In previous iterations, giving a fine for a bad performance worked 98% of the time. Yet talking to someone about their last performance (both are or should be tied to the same variable/rating), and they completly flip out....

Edited by eXistenZ

23 minutes ago, eXistenZ said:

Complacency/lack of competition is what causes this.  Why bother pouring resources into fixing something that wont have a substantial increase in sales?  At this stage its clear what is going to have the biggest potential for new customers: a new match engine in unity.

Same happened with FIFA and career mode, and the same has happened with Total War. The latter has become a complete dumpster fire. All because of the mentality "well where else are they gonna go"

press conferences are boring irl, I dont mind that. But you are a manager, you have to talk to your players. I dont understand whats going wrong with the coding either. In previous iterations, giving a fine for a bad performance worked 98% of the time. Yet talking to someone about their last performance (both are or should be tied to the same variable/rating), and they completly flip out....

Side note. I think Total war will all be about the franchise's now and the historical ones will be left for a decade or so. Now Warhammer is over, I wouldn't be surprised to see LOTR, Game of thrones or even Stormlight archive get the Total war treatment 

10 hours ago, phd_angel said:

I totally agree with you, @russell9. I've raised points like this over the years, as someone who also works in tech/digital (but on the marketing side of things). It baffles me that SI leadership allows such flawed features to persist year in year out.

In the meantime, we have to play around FM flaws rather than by how such player interactions should realistically be.

I agree with you and russell9.

But the issue in my mind is that we blame these features for having flaws is our own fault as much as SI's. Because we tolerate these issues and find workarounds. These aren't exactly game-breaking issues, That game plays fine, but depends on how tolerable are you with these issues.

Maybe (I'm no expert or have a crystal ball, it is theory), maybe if we demanded to have features that work as intended, the game would be far better. Don't know the reason why they have issues, that SI to decide and manage, but I for one getting tired of the same bugs, over and over again. If suggesting, reporting bugs, or constructed criticism isn't working find other alternatives. Maybe instead of playing full FM, go and play FM Touch or Mobile or buy the game in support of SI, but refuse to play the game (as not so bright as that sounds). If we show in numbers, maybe then the message will be clearer to SI, especially the higher-ups. The current way of things isn't working for us.

Don't really 100% believe in voting with your wallet, because firstly I'm too much of a fan (sometimes I can go overboard, be penalized for that) and secondly, I don't want people to be out of a job or SI close down.

I for one, am thinking of not getting FM (let us see if my primitive brain can hold off when the promotional season of FM starts). Instead, I'm going to get Touch via Arcade mode or getting Switch to play FM Touch.

PS: I for one I'm very scared with this Netflix and TransferRoom partnership because it seems all bets at this point are off and fear something far worse for fans and a relentless corporate decision is lurking on the horizon. I for one believe that neither of these partnerships brings anything new to the game.

Edited by grade

I agree with the player interactions in principle, but when choosing the multiple-choice answers you don't find yourself asking "how would I actually manage this interaction" but instead its "how does the game logic dictate I should handle this based on getting burned the last few times". It's like a game in itself, and not a very fun one at that

6 hours ago, grade said:

PS: I for one I'm very scared with this Netflix and TransferRoom partnership because it seems all bets at this point are off and fear something far worse for fans and a relentless corporate decision is lurking on the horizon. I for one believe that neither of these partnerships brings anything new to the game.

What is this partnership with Netflix?... Interesting...

On forcing improvements, I suggest posting in the bugs and in the requests forums. The team of developers seems to consider our suggestions (at least, including them in a potential list to be later decided).

I'm not at all implying that I caused FM improvements, but I notice that some features have been fixed following my posting on the bugs forum over the years (for example, goal animations, interactions interface, data charts, goalkeeper injuries, etc., to name a few). Of course, they go up in prioritization when more people report the same issue.

Edited by phd_angel

This is a beauty. My goalie is unhappy as he seems to feel that he should getting more playing Time to get into National squad and he’s not getting it at the moment. There is a reason for that, bloody season hasn’t started yet you plank. Seriously. 😂🤣

I actually used to enjoy the media interaction and the mind game with AI managers in big games but since it already takes me too long to get through a season because I like to do everything myself and watch all games in comprehensive highlights I just stopped doing them to save me time. The only thing I do is team talks and sometime I just let my assistant do those 

There is no point in Media interaction. It is not fun. It is boring, tedious, and meaningless. 

What they should do is remove all of the media and come up with a new idea. Some like we actually design our own personality and different events effect it each season and maybe upon hitting huge milestones we can add points to personality. Then the engine could completely simulate all of the media interactions based upon our personality and how our manager is designed. That way we are just reading about what happened.

Or what will they put in the game next? We have to buy a house or rent some place when we move teams. Get our kids in different schools each time we move locations. I mean come on. We dont need real life tedium in the game.

I do think it might be cool if it was entirely simulated and we either watch a 15 second clip or read about the media press conferences. 

4 hours ago, JimmysTheBestCop said:

There is no point in Media interaction. It is not fun. It is boring, tedious, and meaningless. 

What they should do is remove all of the media and come up with a new idea. Some like we actually design our own personality and different events effect it each season and maybe upon hitting huge milestones we can add points to personality. Then the engine could completely simulate all of the media interactions based upon our personality and how our manager is designed. That way we are just reading about what happened.

Or what will they put in the game next? We have to buy a house or rent some place when we move teams. Get our kids in different schools each time we move locations. I mean come on. We dont need real life tedium in the game.

I do think it might be cool if it was entirely simulated and we either watch a 15 second clip or read about the media press conferences. 

I think The buying a house part would be cool when you move to a club. It is part becoming a manager. I doubt it’ll ever happen though.

7 hours ago, JimmysTheBestCop said:

Agreed. Simulation Games are a balance of fun and realism. The press and player interactions are not fun (or even realistic)

Genuinely interested if other people are finding the game playable with the current match engine. I found the constant 6 or 7 goal scorelines completely immersion breaking. The weird freak outs players have with interactions also kill the game. It's absolutely fine with a beta but in a game with an annual release, releasing in this state is disappointing. 

I can accept it in a game with a 5-10 year cycle where things start rough and are the iterated on. With a yearly release though we're paying full price for a game that has a 12 month life span and now I'm expected to wait a couple of those months to be able to actually play it and for various new systems to work as advertised.

For me SI either need to have a longer BETA process (even if it's closed) to iron out kinks for a more functional release or move more to a model of buying the game once and then paying for modular content like database, match engines, transfer system and training updates.

Obviously the current system is probably working for SI financially and that's up to them to, but I for one will be voting with my wallet next year if it's the same.

The squad is unhappy with me for not keeping my promise of strengthening in goalkeeping. I’d have liked to have told them we have no money and we’re over the wage budget so it’s not possible but I could only promise to try otherwise they’d have got unhappy. I at least delayed it a few weeks. 

I like the idea of both in theory, but in practice they don't really work.

For press conferences I just pick the second from the left option in most cases. I would like it if the questions were more interesting or relevant. Being asked if I agree that my good player is good is pointless (did Spurs managers ever get asked "Is Harry Kane important to your team?" in a pre match presser?) and likewise being asked why I'm playing a player in a certain position as if it's the first time it's happening when I play him in the same position and role every week.

In the FA Cup final press conference why am I being asked if I agree with the manager of some mid table club transfer listing a player I've never even heard of? I just wish there was some way to make it less repetitive and have more context to what's actually happening.

I've got no problem with the press conferences. I like the immersion of it, building or destroying relationships with managers and media, and it doesn't have THAT much of an impact if you mess it up.

Team meetings and player interactions don't feel very good at all though. I end up save scumming my way through team meetings just because they are such a lottery (or feel like it, at least) - and player interactions I avoid as much as possible except obvious cases.

Could definitely do with a fresh look in coming iterations.

53 minutes ago, InfiniteCrayons said:

I've got no problem with the press conferences. I like the immersion of it, building or destroying relationships with managers and media, and it doesn't have THAT much of an impact if you mess it up.

Team meetings and player interactions don't feel very good at all though. I end up save scumming my way through team meetings just because they are such a lottery (or feel like it, at least) - and player interactions I avoid as much as possible except obvious cases.

Could definitely do with a fresh look in coming iterations.

If I could delegate to my ASS Man I most definitely would. Even though do think press conferences need improving too I just delegate them anyway so that’s not too bad but obviously player interactions I can’t. I know you’re able to ask someone else to speak to the player but that very rarely does anything. 

Imagine you're a manager. You need to attend these before every single game, when the game ends, after the game, during the week, when you're just arriving at work one day, mid-week, after some random training session and so on and so on and so on. In all these situations, the reporters ask the same routine and mundane questions. You can't be creative with your answers because they'll probably go after every tiny bit of extra information you provide, and that will only generate more questions to be answered later on. It's boring, repetitive and a painful chore you could definitely live without, that brings absolutely zero value to the sport. I feel exactly the same way towards press interactions in the game, so at least we can say their implementation in the game is incredibly realistic. And we even have the advantage of being able to send our assistant manager to some of'em.