The totally *not* official Advanced Access Speculation of FM24 - This time it’s speculative

• Replies 9.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, thomas_e said:

Ok, but not more so than other West Germanic languages. My whole family speaks Dutch (we are Norwegian), but i cant say there are many similarities. But maybe someone with English as their mother tongue (obviously also Germanic language, but a different branch) will consider them similar 

I'm Norwegian too, if that wasn't obvious, and for me the tonal way we Norwegians speak sounds similar to how the Dutch speak. Not the guttural G's of the north, but still.

2 minutes ago, thomas_e said:

Ok, but not more so than other West Germanic languages. My whole family speaks Dutch (we are Norwegian), but i cant say there are many similarities. But maybe someone with English as their mother tongue (obviously also Germanic language, but a different branch) will consider them similar 

It's strikingly similar to Low-German/Low-Saxon

Obviously waiting for the latest developments at the den before beta release 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-12646495/amp/Millwall-axe-manager-Gary-Rowett-four-years-charge-Den-London-club-15th-Championship-following-inconsistent-start-season.html

5 minutes ago, RDF Tactics said:

It's because those roles are new, which is why videos are focused on that. Last year, my early access content was actually about low-blocks. So, whatever is new, it will look to be covered.

Non-league and lower-league football recently. They of course don't zip the ball about at Man City levels or on the same technical levels, but neither are all teams hoof ball and many teams are now possession-based. Teams do use narrow full-backs, or CB pushing forward with the ball etc. There are 3 teams now in non-league averaging 60% possession or over. Gateshead currently complete more passes per 90 than Man City do in the EPL. Given you have the better players compared to others in the league, there's not really any reason why it shouldn't work well.

I'd argue this too. I've watched plenty of live non-league games this season and there's certainly a fair balance of sides trying to play out fluidly from the back to those playing direct. I guess the argument would be they make more mistakes but aren't punished as often. That's hard to replicate in game though, I'd imagine.

11 minutes ago, RDF Tactics said:

It's because those roles are new, which is why videos are focused on that. Last year, my early access content was actually about low-blocks. So, whatever is new, it will look to be covered.

Non-league and lower-league football recently. They of course don't zip the ball about at Man City levels or on the same technical levels, but neither are all teams hoof ball and many teams are now possession-based. Teams do use narrow full-backs, or CB pushing forward with the ball etc. There are 3 teams now in non-league averaging 60% possession or over. Gateshead currently complete more passes per 90 than Man City do in the EPL. Given you have the better players compared to others in the league, there's not really any reason why it shouldn't work well.

True but that doesn't mean that it will work, look at saints. Huge amount of possession every game but going no-where with it, and caught cold by counter attacking sides in every game.

On the other hand i expect the ME on FM will not spend 20 mins uselessly kicking the ball around the halfway line and back to the GK.

Edited by Thebaker

12 minutes ago, RDF Tactics said:

They of course don't zip the ball about at Man City levels or on the same technical levels

This is part of my point in that I would hope that the ability of teams to pull this off would diminish according to their attributes dropping off with each lower division. My fear would be that elite football is once again often indistinguishable from that of lower levels in the match engine.

Great videos by the way!

Edited by rdbayly

11 minutes ago, RDF Tactics said:

I think the point is this could become the new gegenpress where you play this way and you'll win the champions league with any team.

3 minutes ago, Thebaker said:

True but that doesn't mean that it will work, look at saints. Huge amount of possession every game but going no-where with it, and caught cold by counter attacking sides in every game

The thing about our videos, we showed clips of the movement. So Libero moving into DM. IFB shifting across to cover him - it's just allowing us to play a different way, rather it being a way to win 4-0 every game. I stated in my video that I made a huge mistake when first using the role so I weren't getting good results until I made tweaks. The Libero isn't going to get you a 20 goals or assists, they just allow you to be tactical flexible.

It'll then be down to the player's attributes such as off the ball and anticipation to perform the move at the right time etc.

57 minutes ago, Chelsea1903 said:

Dutch is an interesting one. Most of the words are very similar to English, but the occasional word or so is completely insane. The word one is een but the word please is alsjeblieft!

Fixed that for you. Actually, depending on who you are talking it can also be alstublieft.

2 minutes ago, SPE3D said:

I think the point is this could become the new gegenpress where you play this way and you'll win the champions league with any team.

Just now, RDF Tactics said:

The thing about our videos, we showed clips of the movement. So Libero moving into DM. IFB shifting across to cover him - it's just allowing us to play a different way, rather it being a way to win 4-0 every game. I stated in my video that I made a huge mistake when first using the role so I weren't getting good results until I made tweaks. The Libero isn't going to get you a 20 goals or assists, they just allow you to be tactical flexible.

It'll then be down to the player's attributes such as off the ball and anticipation to perform the move at the right time etc.

I explained it here. Gegenpress was a whole tactical style, it influenced everyone where you could win duels all over the pitch. Using a Libero will just enable you to move you CB into CDM. It could be a massive hindrance if people are just using it for the sake of it

9 minutes ago, RDF Tactics said:

Just as well i spend only 5 mins coming up with a tactic on starting a new game and then get the best players i can to win despite my tactics. Never have gone into much detail on tactics, just tweak a few things sometimes.

Its more like a 70's team. 4-4-2 and pressing/fouling the opposition before counter attacking. Leading the table for yellow and red cards every season

Edited by Thebaker

1 minute ago, RDF Tactics said:

I explained it here. Gegenpress was a whole tactical style, it influenced everyone where you could win duels all over the pitch. Using a Libero will just enable you to move you CB into CDM. It could be a massive hindrance if people are just using it for the sake of it

I agree on this, as long as the ME is a good ME of course, which is what everything basically comes down to! 

The libero should only work if properly applied, the problem with gegenpress is it worked with every team

3 minutes ago, thomas_e said:

I agree on this, as long as the ME is a good ME of course, which is what everything basically comes down to! 

The libero should only work if properly applied, the problem with gegenpress is it worked with every team

It would be cool if there was a guide on the role with pros and cons later down the line. One of the drawbacks is that you could lose an attacking full-back playing a Libero because you should be pairing them with an IFB with it. So automatically, you lose a number down one of the flanks and your winger can become isolated.

I find it a bit like the WCB. It was a new role but they weren't particularly 'OP'. It just allowed us to be more flexible 

5 minutes ago, omerrath said:

How quiet this thread became in the last few minutes, surely they didn't break the spirit yet, did they?

I thought the same earlier. I think in previous years it peaked early and then the Beta got released so everyone was happy.

Maybe everyone has unfair expectations on the release of the Beta this year or maybe the fun of speclating every year has lost its appeal this year.

Also it is nearly 10pm so maybe people have come offline for the night.

Sega/Sigames don't owe us anything. They don't have to release a Beta. Don't just assume it is coming out tomorrow as there is no guarantee it will.

Sorry if that sounds negative but I can tell today really annoyed people so people should be prepared for it not coming out and then anything else is a bonus.

I look forward to the journey tomorrow just like I did today.

Hopefully tomorrow has a better ending.

1 minute ago, Ronaldo Beckham said:

Sega/Sigames don't owe us anything. They don't have to release a Beta. Don't just assume it is coming out tomorrow as there is no guarantee it will.

Sorry if that sounds negative but I can tell today really annoyed people so people should be prepared for it not coming out and then anything else is a bonus.

I look forward to the journey tomorrow just like I did today.

Hopefully tomorrow has a better ending.

There's a man....going round........taking names

8 minutes ago, kiingallen said:

Completely broken. Today was a twisted dagger.  

Self inflicted dagger at that. This thread is just about having fun. Take it too seriously and the joke is on you. 

52 minutes ago, XaW said:

I'm Norwegian too, if that wasn't obvious, and for me the tonal way we Norwegians speak sounds similar to how the Dutch speak. Not the guttural G's of the north, but still.

I have a lot of love for Norway. I think it’s the friendliest, most welcoming nation I’ve ever been to.   

2 minutes ago, PGHJuice said:

This thread went off the rails when some people came in here and started taking it WAY too seriously. Felt like I was on Twitter for a moment. 

This is supposed to be light hearted fun 

By saying what? I didn't see too much 

3 minutes ago, Bjaart said:

Self inflicted dagger at that. This thread is just about having fun. Take it too seriously and the joke is on you. 

It is what it is. It will be a thing of the past once released. Everyone knows that much.