Will you be buying FM23 ?

Will you be buying FM23  

646 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be buying FM23

• Yes
    • No
    • Undecided
    • Depends on Features

Set pieces are a hassle to set up- defensive/offensive, two sides and so many variations to go through. Add the fact that I rotate players often- which screws up the set pieces, and fail at saves- it's really hard for me to get a save going. Streamlined set piece creation could have been a reason to buy FM 23. Since it hasn't been announced, I suppose I'll skip this year as well.

Edited by Bunkerossian

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Random question but didnt want to open a new topic for it. At what point are irl injuries incorporated in the game?

Like for a Milan example, Zlatan is offcours out since summer untill next year, so that will be in, but for example Calabria got injured last week and will be out for the rest of this calendar year. will that make it into the game? Or is it all start date dependant?

3 hours ago, eXistenZ said:

Random question but didnt want to open a new topic for it. At what point are irl injuries incorporated in the game?

Like for a Milan example, Zlatan is offcours out since summer untill next year, so that will be in, but for example Calabria got injured last week and will be out for the rest of this calendar year. will that make it into the game? Or is it all start date dependant?

so there is usually a cut off point for their data to be submitted so if they have not reached that cut off point then the injury will be in the game, if not it will be in the next update. 

3 hours ago, DarJ said:

so there is usually a cut off point for their data to be submitted so if they have not reached that cut off point then the injury will be in the game, if not it will be in the next update. 

Is there not an update between the beta release and the game release ???

On 30/09/2022 at 06:21, tropicsafc said:

Anyone who visits a forum dedicated to a particular game and says they're not buying the new one is just lying. There's really no use in being so dramatic about it.

Wrong. I haven't bought after FM17. Just didn't feel it. But I still visit the forums specially the stories forum to get read some of the exciting stories. I now have FM22 (thanks to Amazon prime) and hopefully Amazon will give the 2023 version free of cost for us, so not going to buy FM23 immediately.

Screen Shot 2022-10-09 at 11.24.31 PM.png

On 08/10/2022 at 20:26, TheArsenal63 said:

The changes are enough for me to justify a £35 a year fee for probably one of the only games I buy every year (this is the most important part, I don't buy much if any games except FM so that's my whole budget). I can justify that to myself, however if it actually was a £60+ game for what they are giving us, I would definitely not be buying it.

The price is currently low enough and the features just about enough to justify it . One day it won't be worth what they put out vs the price, as I imagine it will keep increasing, then I think I will be done.

Plus, they own the market and they know it, so they control how much you get and set the price, see what happened with Intel or Nvidia until AMD started putting pressure on them. Inevitably companies with no competition will start to slow down improvement, you have to realise they are a corporation with financial interests, if they can give you 2 good features this year instead of 4 , so that they can save them for another year or so, then they absolutely will. It buys them time and therefore more money.

SI are not benevolent, they are here to make money and to look after the long term financial interests of their company, so it makes a depressing sense.

Great point. My reasons are exactly your opposite. That's why I cannot say I will buy FM23. My eternal love for FM has faded a lot, it's burning but with low intensity. I was lucky to get hold of PS5 within first 4 months of release. I have gathered an handful of 50 PS4/PS5 games in library and playing those in big 4K tv takes precedence than FM. So I cannot justify spending $50+ for a game which I might play few days a month.

23 hours ago, eXistenZ said:

From memory injuries sustained before Aug 10th 2022 will be included in game at the start of a save.

Don't view it as purchasing an entirely new game, consider it an annual fee you owe to SI for the existence of such an amazing game. Even if there had been no changes to the game except for updating the databases, the game would still be worth your 35 quid annually

8 hours ago, FelixForte said:

Don't view it as purchasing an entirely new game, consider it an annual fee you owe to SI for the existence of such an amazing game. Even if there had been no changes to the game except for updating the databases, the game would still be worth your 35 quid annually

Thats one way of looking at it. 

Another is that there is so much more potential in the game. 

And Saying that even if it was an database update it would still be worth it is a bit mad. You can get that for free from the community. 

While FM is probably the most VFM i get from a game its wrong for the users not to ask it to be the best that it can.  There is so much scope

15 minutes ago, aj6658 said:

You can get that for free from the community. 

Really?  You can get “for free” a completely updated database covering all transfers across all world leagues available in the game with updated player attributes & stats, youngsters who have made their break through, retired players along with league and club histories + personnel updated?  Sounds like the researchers are out of a job.

I agree there is a lot of potential in the game but lets not understate what happens with a database update and the work the researchers do 👍.

I'll probably wait until after Christmas to buy this year's game. That's nothing against the game, I think it looks great... but I have a newborn son and if I spend £35 on a game I think my wife may divorce me :D 

I might not manage as many hours on this year's game but it will still be value for money even if I end up playing just 50 hours. People spend more money for just one night at the pub.

8 minutes ago, RHKC said:

I'll probably wait until after Christmas to buy this year's game. That's nothing against the game, I think it looks great... but I have a newborn son and if I spend £35 on a game I think my wife may divorce me :D 

I might not manage as many hours on this year's game but it will still be value for money even if I end up playing just 50 hours. People spend more money for just one night at the pub.

Delegate Youth Development to Wife, maybe?

Just kidding, congrats on your newborn son :)

10 hours ago, FelixForte said:

No it wouldn't as database updates are easily done for free by the community. Not expecting changes or saying just be happy we get an annual update is why there has been so much stagnation, because there are individuals who are happy to blindly cough money religiously irrespective of the quality of the game or how much or lack of progression there is in the series. There is no incentive for any company in the world to go the extra mile if they know their product will sell like hot cakes without ever having to fully revamp their product

Edited by Ferocious289

2 hours ago, herne79 said:

Really?  You can get “for free” a completely updated database covering all transfers across all world leagues available in the game with updated player attributes & stats, youngsters who have made their break through, retired players along with league and club histories + personnel updated?  Sounds like the researchers are out of a job.

I agree there is a lot of potential in the game but lets not understate what happens with a database update and the work the researchers do 👍.

Lets not overstate that a database update cover for bugs and issues that have plagued the game for years as an excuse. I get it, you like the game but lets be real, just a database update is not good enough. 

Can you point out to any real strides forward from this years headline features 

• Squad planner - welcome addition and a big QoL improvement but that's just window dressing. Its not a big undertaking 
  • AI improvements - very welcome but the fact that Genpressing has been OP for several iterations means its been long overdue. Yet to be seen if its moved forward. Optimistic so I will say a stride forward 
  • UEFA licenses - again nice addition but a headline feature - its not a big undertaking to change up the draw and design podiums 
  • Manager timeline - again - skin deep. Not a big undertaken 

We have been asking for 

• Set pieces management upgrade
  • International management changes (I disagree but still) 
  • Fifa 2004 had better graphics. Almost 2 decades ago. FM17 was better - its gone backwards 
  • Better AI transfer modules and squad management 

Edited by aj6658

3 hours ago, Ferocious289 said:

No it wouldn't as database updates are easily done for free by the community. Not expecting changes or saying just be happy we get an annual update is why there has been so much stagnation, because there are individuals who are happy to blindly cough money religiously irrespective of the quality of the game or how much or lack of progression there is in the series. There is no incentive for any company in the world to go the extra mile if they know their product will sell like hot cakes without ever having to fully revamp their product

Let's not pretend like the free database updates are going to be anywhere near as reliable, detailed or as high quality as the official ones.  That's not to say they'll be perfect, or that the completely hypothetical situation of only getting a database update would be acceptable (because it wouldn't, I agree on that), but it's much the same as getting more detailed licensing.  Sure you can go and find some edited file that plugs gaps, but it's a sticking plaster over something that would be better fixed at source.

On 08/10/2022 at 15:18, samuelawachie said:

It’s interesting (mildly) to see the people who swore on FM 20, 21 & 22 forum topics never to buy another FM for whatever reason, not until they see changes to long-standing issues. Some of them are now top of the queue to buy the new version and even pre-ordered. I don’t have anything against that but it’s pretty rich seeing them coming a few months later to complain and argue with other “users” on the forum about the game and the direction. 

As I said, it’s just interesting to see. 
I’ll keep watching and documenting. 

There is gamepass now. No idea how SI is showing data from that. I would not say it counts as buying as I got gamepass for 3 years for 40-50 euros.

I think a few posters above have misunderstood me. I’m not saying 35 pounds is a fair price for a database update. I’m saying 35 pounds each year is a fair price for being able to play this amazing game (including all developments that have been made over the last 20 years). I know that you could also play a game which is fairly similar by not paying the 35 pounds (i.e by playing FM22), but I think 35 pounds per year is a fair remuneration for the creators of this game. I don’t view the 35 pounds as the amount I pay for the increments in gameplay, but rather as my annual subscription for which I get the latest updates & access to a great game. Yes there’s the option of not buying FM23 if you don’t like the increments, but I believe its a fair annual fee. I suppose it’s also a matter of whether you care if SI is rewarded for creating the game, or if you just want the best deal for yourself. I’m not saying the latter is wrong, but given that I play this game for 1000+ hours per year it’s a small cost for me to support the further development of this game

Edited by FelixForte

I am 100% commited to FM22 this cycle, I think. Certainly until the January patch. Was going that way anyway, but personally not pulled in by the new features. The interactive timeline feels like a re-skin of information that is already there, and I genuinely enjoy manual squad planning with lists of my current squads and comparison screens between potential signings screen printed and saved to my phone so I can do this kind of stuff outside of the game when commuting, etc. 

I'm exactly where I want to be with additional leagues and realism mods etc and have just begun a long term save.

2 hours ago, Junkhead said:

I am 100% commited to FM22 this cycle, I think. Certainly until the January patch. Was going that way anyway, but personally not pulled in by the new features. The interactive timeline feels like a re-skin of information that is already there, and I genuinely enjoy manual squad planning with lists of my current squads and comparison screens between potential signings screen printed and saved to my phone so I can do this kind of stuff outside of the game when commuting, etc. 

I'm exactly where I want to be with additional leagues and realism mods etc and have just begun a long term save.

they just moved things around and gave new names to things already in the game.

On 11/10/2022 at 01:34, FelixForte said:

That's why this game is in the state it currently is.

No!

The reason.  The IF bug which completely ruined the match engine yet was never corrected in FM22 even though the issue was apparent from a very early stage. This was shameful from Sports Interactive and was blatantly left this way so that they could entice people to buy the next edition. 

FM22 could have been the best ever but for greed.

7 minutes ago, gm23 said:

No!

The reason.  The IF bug which completely ruined the match engine yet was never corrected in FM22 even though the issue was apparent from a very early stage. This was shameful from Sports Interactive and was blatantly left this way so that they could entice people to buy the next edition. 

FM22 could have been the best ever but for greed.

What was the IF bug?

2 minutes ago, aj6658 said:

What was the IF bug?

Inside forwards don't cut inside with the ball like they should. They play like cowards, rarely beat their defender and often just run to the byline then pass backwards. It was infuriating to watch and should have been fixed in the winter update. At one stage it was so embarrassingly bad that even when in behind the defence and through on goal, the IF would instead head for the byline and pass backwards.

I had some of the best IF's in my save and don't think I seen them cut inside and score a great goal even once.

There are plenty of videos floating around online which show this issue and how idiotic it looks.

It's absolutely shameful it wasn't fixed.

12 minutes ago, aj6658 said:

What was the IF bug?

This is what I say when I think if most people didn’t come here they wouldn’t be as mad with the game because they don’t experience most of the issues or they don’t notice it.

Basically they didn’t cut inside with the ball like they did in previous games 

12 minutes ago, DarJ said:

This is what I say when I think if most people didn’t come here they wouldn’t be as mad with the game because they don’t experience most of the issues or they don’t notice it.

Basically they didn’t cut inside with the ball like they did in previous games 

Have felt like wing play has been bad generally for the last few years so wouldnt pick it up as a bug just that its just that the game doesnt work 

14 minutes ago, gm23 said:

Inside forwards don't cut inside with the ball like they should. They play like cowards, rarely beat their defender and often just run to the byline then pass backwards. It was infuriating to watch and should have been fixed in the winter update. At one stage it was so embarrassingly bad that even when in behind the defence and through on goal, the IF would instead head for the byline and pass backwards.

I had some of the best IF's in my save and don't think I seen them cut inside and score a great goal even once.

There are plenty of videos floating around online which show this issue and how idiotic it looks.

It's absolutely shameful it wasn't fixed.

Yeah i hate wingers so much. TBH real life Sancho is playing like FM sancho so maybe its realistic 

On 13/09/2022 at 16:54, Druid DR said:

Then they should get rid of the graphics altogether if they're not important, and go back to a text based game.  But personally speaking the graphics become more and more important with every version of the game as there are only so many bells and whistles new features they can add each year to keep it interesting (and most of those are designed to make it even easier to beat the AI), so its about time they gave some love to the visual aspects of the game - especially if SI want their game to appeal to new players.  I still go back and play FM17 because it was visually the best version they ever released. I'd love FM22/23s engine and FM17s graphics.

Ironically they were on the right track with FM17s visuals and lighting, then FM18 happened and it took several steps back for some reason, and still hasn't recovered.. although last years was a bit better.

No one is asking for CoD or FIFA type graphics btw!

Yes indeed it did, they seem to have got it right with 23 i'm impressed with the ball movement, it actually looks like they are chasing the ball and the players act more realistic by miles now.

I have all the previous versions, but the headlines featured just don't excite me for this years iteration. I might be getting it for the database update... not sure tbh. I feel I'm not really getting any value from it compared to 22 based on what was written.

Match engine was fine for me in 22, so that's not really a selling point for me. Those trying it, is there anything (new feature) you really enjoy? Anything that adds to the game?

After seeing how the game is, definitely not. Everything that is bad (or even horrible) about the previous games is still there: set-pieces, international management, non-sense UI with messages scattered around the whole empty screen, stupid interactions with the players, graphics and stadiums, regen eyebrows... I am going to have the same fun with older FMs than I would with FM23, even if ME might (or not, we will see) be improved, or even if in older versions I am not able to wear a never-in-game-visible-watch in my manager character.

Blindly buying the game every year only contributes to the stagnation of the saga.

Edited by el_manayer

1 hour ago, Daffius said:

I have all the previous versions, but the headlines featured just don't excite me for this years iteration. I might be getting it for the database update... not sure tbh. I feel I'm not really getting any value from it compared to 22 based on what was written.

Match engine was fine for me in 22, so that's not really a selling point for me. Those trying it, is there anything (new feature) you really enjoy? Anything that adds to the game?

I bit the bullet and bought it . Im still undecided if it was worth it but its only the beta at this stage plus no pre-editor yet either so I can't play my saved games from FM22. The biggest improvements are the match engine . Once it's refined a little more it will be the best ever. I would go as far to say its the best beta released ME ever. Also now it has rendering scale up to 200% so depending on your PC etc it looks better . BUT !! Stadiums , pitch etc are just the same. The interface is crisper but otherwise its the same .  As for those new features well mmmmmmm nah .. Demo will come out so you can see for yourself 

• 3 weeks later...

Now that the game is out, how many of those who said weren't going to buy caved and bought it? 

What did the undecided people do?

And what about the 'features brigade'? 

Do people who said Yes recommend to FM22 players to go ahead and change versions?

This is the first time I genuinely have no regrets for not buying and glad I installed FM16 rather than hitting that purchase button last week, but I'm interested in hearing the opinions of those who wanted to buy the game and would still recommend it as the Feedback thread is filled with negativity, whilst the Steam page is filled with ultra positivity, so I need a more neutral space to decide if I'm going after the game after all before Christmas. 

Edited by Yuko

Still not bought it, very light on features and looks like even they aren't even any good anyway.

No updates either from Beta as well as it sounds like December for a ME update?

The game shouldn't have been released so early by the sounds of it.

Still haven't bought and probably won't until at least March. The reviews on the feedback forum are shocking. It's one thing to find out it's full of the same bugs in previous versions, but to know international management still hasn't changed, press conferences remain boring and repetitive, and visually remains the same isn't inspiring me to purchase it. 

On 11/10/2022 at 11:26, aj6658 said:

Lets not overstate that a database update cover for bugs and issues that have plagued the game for years as an excuse. I get it, you like the game but lets be real, just a database update is not good enough. 

• Set pieces management upgrade
  • International management changes (I disagree but still) 
  • Fifa 2004 had better graphics. Almost 2 decades ago. FM17 was better - its gone backwards 
  • Better AI transfer modules and squad management 

those are areas was hoping to improve ..

• Set pieces is really never been touched since first FM ! a nightmare to arrange with every single change .. I should be able to simply say.. tall players up in box .. fastest and shortest player 1-2 set back .. just general instructuons to insure have pace at back if lost ball and good header or tall players at box.. is currently a nuclear physics 
  • International manager ... again .. seem never been touched from first FM
  • 100% agree FM17 had better graphics !!! but forget that .. even mobile games like Top11 and others have better graphics .. the pitch is too dark in 90% of times bcz no Indirect global illumination .. just simply shadow of sun not daylight .. same for other buildings and stadium items...  players ..etc.
  • Managers AI in terms of tactic and transfer is getting better in speed of a turtle   

I want to add too to ur list..

• Tactic .. eX: with ball formation,... without ball formation .. ask GK to join last minute corner .. passes direction .. like city passing to half-space like city do. directions of runs.. half space like city. ..etc
  • clubs .. agents .. more reasonable when turning down my offers .. instead of getting angry and refusing to talk .. tho there has been improvement on that.. clubs /agent should tell me too if i can improve my offer as player seem will sign to another club ..etc
  • Camera better movement like real match !!! seem camera is fixed .. never zoom in or out or change camera ... is same damn camera whole match 
  • interviews... dull dull dull .. make it simple , less but more quality... no more more more is never the answer 
  •  training : I like to tell my assistant .. focus on X and X and X as priority and he arrange it without me have to do it every week
  • social and media feedback could be more interesting .... I like to be hated like jose.. and fans want me to be sacked and booing me in match and say nasty stuffs in social media and interviews 

only great improvements I liked are:

• Agent are better 
  • Match engine animation and chaos is really way better. sadly graphic not
  • fans feedback .. but could had been better

those are 3 important things that make game worth buy it ... but sure not £35 .. may be £15

FM problem is they focus always on details and not fix the bigger more important picture first 

Edited by shwanko

I bought it. Did two seasons on beta. Realised it was one if my worst ever videogame purchases and got a refund. Absolutely no interest in playing this version nor continuing to give funds to a dev I personally feel is slowly running my favourite franchise into the ground. Of course what they choose to do with the game is completely their choice, and that's fair enough. It just has a severe lack of progression, especially over the last few versions. Every year a multitude of bugs, and new features that don't actually add anything to the experience.

Adore this series, have done since CM2, but FM23 feels like the breaking point.

9 minutes ago, harrycarrie said:

I bought it. Did two seasons on beta. Realised it was one if my worst ever videogame purchases and got a refund. Absolutely no interest in playing this version nor continuing to give funds to a dev I personally feel is slowly running my favourite franchise into the ground. Of course what they choose to do with the game is completely their choice, and that's fair enough. It just has a severe lack of progression, especially over the last few versions. Every year a multitude of bugs, and new features that don't actually add anything to the experience.

Adore this series, have done since CM2, but FM23 feels like the breaking point.

problem is they are same group who tried to solve previous years and get stuck to same ideas .. no innovation
the team need massive shakeup and Miles need to lose some of his power ..allow new faces to share control ... replace elements in his team especially in creative area bcz this is what the game is sorely lacking
SI and Miles are just doing what they want currently  like they are making game for themselves not us !!!  GIVE POWER BACK TO USER !!!! is only management game in market .. why keep features secret?!!! 
SI need to put list of possible features and where game needs to develop up here for vote.. so we choose the priority ! not them !!! .. yet same people still doing all decisions and same result every year.. sure we all are happy to get our hands on new versions  every year .. but after a week or two that evaporate and u feel kind be tricked . 

Edited by shwanko

13 hours ago, Yuko said:

Now that the game is out, how many of those who said weren't going to buy caved and bought it? 

What did the undecided people do?

And what about the 'features brigade'? 

Do people who said Yes recommend to FM22 players to go ahead and change versions?

This is the first time I genuinely have no regrets for not buying and glad I installed FM16 rather than hitting that purchase button last week, but I'm interested in hearing the opinions of those who wanted to buy the game and would still recommend it as the Feedback thread is filled with negativity, whilst the Steam page is filled with ultra positivity, so I need a more neutral space to decide if I'm going after the game after all before Christmas. 

I was one of those who said I was not going to buy the game but when I read the new quality of life features which was announced on fmfcblog stating that there would be improved transfer AI decisions across the game and more relevant press conferences along with the added addition of squad planner, supporter confidence,  I thought they it was worth the risk of taking the plunge and seeing how well these new things would be implemented

To my dismay I play the beta and then find out AI transfer behavior i just as bad as fm22 and press conferences are not contentual and just as repetitive as fm22, for example they don't ask you about a conversial penalty decision given by var and there are still no sizable consequencial to your response  you give to the press. They still ask you about some u18 loan player's progress at another club before a big game. AI managers get sacked willy nilly. AI teams will offer low offers that are lower than your players value, but expect inflated fees for their own player. Squad planner is not functional, and supporters trust is just another front for board vision objectives

When I first loaded it up and went through it all, I felt like I been scammed but the M.E improvements just about justifies updating from fm22 as it really is so much better.

@vikeologist, I'm sorry you feel that way about the bug tracker. There were issues a couple of years ago, in my opinion. I have spent a lot of time in the bugs forum over the years trying to help out and get users to provide the correct information that SI can use to investigate and log issues. What I can say is that it improved last year and I have seen an even better response in the bug tracker this year.

If there is a thread you feel (or anyone for that matter) has been ignored, you can pop me a PM and I'll see if I can reply to the issue or I can nudge someone from SI to look at. Sometimes a thread is missed by mistake. Other times it could be an issue reported in the wrong section and when it is eventually moved, it's below the threads that have been responded to. I'm not trying to make excuses, but sometimes it happens.

Also, I have gone through your report and the issue you reported is either ready to be logged or has been logged.

4 minutes ago, HUNT3R said:

@vikeologist, I'm sorry you feel that way about the bug tracker. There were issues a couple of years ago, in my opinion. I have spent a lot of time in the bugs forum over the years trying to help out and get users to provide the correct information that SI can use to investigate and log issues. What I can say is that it improved last year and I have seen an even better response in the bug tracker this year.

If there is a thread you feel (or anyone for that matter) has been ignored, you can pop me a PM and I'll see if I can reply to the issue or I can nudge someone from SI to look at. Sometimes a thread is missed by mistake. Other times it could be an issue reported in the wrong section and when it is eventually moved, it's below the threads that have been responded to. I'm not trying to make excuses, but sometimes it happens.

Also, I have gone through your report and the issue you reported is either ready to be logged or has been logged.

Thanks. I really was acknowledging that I have to be part of the solution, rather than complaining about SI. 

But I appreciate your offer, and I may take you up on it over the year.