*Official* Football Manager 2022 Feedback Thread

8 hours ago, metcow said:

Love the game. Have played since the very beginning of the CM/FM series however I find it so difficult to play beyond 7 or 8 seasons nowadays as the newgen balance is so poor.

I have reached 2029 in my current save and International squads are made up of most old players and barely any newgens are getting called up.

Most of the major nations have hardly any players under 26 in their squads and finding a choice of players with the right attributes becomes so difficult.

I have a large database loaded, 8 nations and 22 leagues.

I am assuming it's not the same for everyone, so is there anything obvious that would cause this to happen?

Player development is a little fussier now, so you need the right conditions (training facilities, coaches, reputation of club, match time) to get the most out of youth. AI teams have always struggled to manage their squads properly, but I do think they are getting better at loaning out their players. The problem I see with that right now is that those loaned players often end up at mediocre clubs who lack the facilities and coaches to develop anyone beyond very minor improvements.

And there is always the awkward mix of attributes that plague many newgens (ex. a striker with abysmal off the ball, a fullback who can't cross, or a central defender who can't jump).

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Still getting a lot of enjoyment out of FM 22 but can't help but feel some key features of the game are due an overhaul.

Tactics is a big one. I find that in real life formations are becoming less pertinent than they used to be — at least in the sense that a team's formation with the ball can be totally different to their formation without it. You can do your best to create that kind of movement in FM but the creator is limited and more oriented around roles than positioning/spaces. There are some recent role additions (mezzala, wide centre-back, inverted wing-back) which have helped but I think they kind of reinforce the point that a role-based creator is becoming outdated.

Scouting is another. As I understand it, effectively all my scouts can do (outside of me assigning them to specific players myself) is be sent somewhere where they watch matches seemingly at random (some of them nowhere near the level required) in the hope that someone catches their eye. This seems out of touch with how modern scouts and recruitment departments would work, identifying potential targets with data and video and then going to watch specific targets. I recently noticed my Scandinavian scout has been doing nothing for about two months because it's winter and their season is over.

Just my two cents and it goes without saying that the game continues to be a phenomenal achievement.

If there is one thing that I'd love changed for FM23 it's the unrealistically high quantity and accuracy of passes, usually between defenders, GK, and DMs. AI teams should not be able to sit back and hold the ball, especially when their opponents are trying to press them.

The playtime "bug" sucks. Player asks for more playtime, I play him almost EVERY SINGLE GAME and his current playtime is still stuck at Youngster. Then the player complains about me not keeping my promise.

57 minutes ago, Merc103 said:

The playtime "bug" sucks. Player asks for more playtime, I play him almost EVERY SINGLE GAME and his current playtime is still stuck at Youngster. Then the player complains about me not keeping my promise.

Yes seeing the same, got a squad player playing every week at the moment and he’s showing as surplus to requirements. Not the first time this has happened either.

vor 4 Stunden schrieb Kloppy:

Why does Rashford turn into the best player in the world every save lol

I'm doing like 10 save game-simulations every week for several years and I can't remember to have seen Rashford winning the Balon d'or even once:D

3 hours ago, Daveincid said:

I'm doing like 10 save game-simulations every week for several years and I can't remember to have seen Rashford winning the Balon d'or even once:D

Whattttt :lol: he has broken every English national team record for me and is always top of the Balon d’or for me. Maybe the game isn’t so similar every save then :rolleyes:

I am on the verge of once again jacking FM in until the next version due to the blatant scripting and clear favouring of the AI team over my own in the ME. I just can't accept things like a 2-1 loss, with the AI getting only two CHANCES, let alone shots on target, all game. Or Benzema getting a bad injury right before the last game of the season.

These aren't due to bad management...I am tired of the constant crap as the game seeks to write a narrative.

Is there a way to edit one player to be the player/manager/technical director/sporting director because said player has an ego the size of Alpha Centauri and that club is playing with Monopoly money and can we edit the club's finances so that they're permanently bankrupt? If not will we be able to do this in '23? 

Thanks in advance. 

Am I the only one seeing forwards not going to challlenge central defenders when a long ball is kicked? The opposition gk is just kicking it forward to my cds.

And when they occasionally go to a challenge they win it and go unrealisticaly one on one...usually when playing with two strikers...

30 minutes ago, Heywood JaBlowme said:

Time after time after time I set a player's Transfer Value, his immediate feedback is that he's happy with that asking price, but shortly after that I get the message that he's unhappy with his current asking price.  Is this a known bug? 

Player value constantly fluctuates, so this isn't really a bug in that sense, but it sure is annoying. Basically, if a players value drops a tiny bit (maybe his form got slightly worse after the last game, so the game shaves off 100k), his maximum accepted value drops a tiny bit and as a result the 10m he was previously fine with is now only 9,9m and he'll complain. If you don't try to push your players to their maximum asking price, but leave it 1-2 clicks below it, it shouldn't be quite as big of an issue unless something forces a really big value drop.

Turned out Haaland had a release clause in his contract like how many players and sources already knew, after all.

Would be nice for next editions that we don't go off of what one man said (In this case Zorc. Obviously he won't confirm the big cashcow has a release clause of such a low fee in his contract) opposed to what multiple (reliable) sources constantly report. The realism was now totally gone, knowing full well clubs would never have to pay a triple digit fee to get him away from Dortmund in real life.

As far as the transfer offers go that I'm reading here, I can agree. I always get ridiculous low offers for players and if a team shows interest it always takes 3 seasons to at least get a bid in. Meanwhile for the AI as soon as interest is shown tehy get an offer way over the player value. I've seen the argument that clubs irl lowball at first too, which is certainly true, but if they really want a (quality) player that in some occasions also has interest from other clubs, there is no way they will intentionally lowball an offer way beyond the value/asking price.

13 hours ago, KeegBCFC said:

Is it me or are goalkeepers getting a ridiculous amount of assists in this version?

This to me seems related to the fact that defenders can't really intercept through balls. Passes behind the back line are massively powerful and center backs can't handle them, either low passes or through the air. I know this is something the game didn't have on previous versions, but I hope it gets balanced in FM23.

I finally bought FM22, but did that without checking the discussions. I really shouldn't have, since that was a wasted 33 euros.
After watching my first two matches between Swedish lower division teams, where both of the teams had almost 700 passes with over 90% accuracy, I went back to FM21 and uninstalled FM22. In 26 years this is the first time I've had to do this, since never before has CM or FM been this unplayable after the final patch. 

I have no doubt this will be fixed in FM23, but I'll never again buy the newest version without checking this forum.

On 14/05/2022 at 12:06, RVP32 said:

Turned out Haaland had a release clause in his contract like how many players and sources already knew, after all.

Would be nice for next editions that we don't go off of what one man said (In this case Zorc. Obviously he won't confirm the big cashcow has a release clause of such a low fee in his contract) opposed to what multiple (reliable) sources constantly report. The realism was now totally gone, knowing full well clubs would never have to pay a triple digit fee to get him away from Dortmund in real life.

As far as the transfer offers go that I'm reading here, I can agree. I always get ridiculous low offers for players and if a team shows interest it always takes 3 seasons to at least get a bid in. Meanwhile for the AI as soon as interest is shown tehy get an offer way over the player value. I've seen the argument that clubs irl lowball at first too, which is certainly true, but if they really want a (quality) player that in some occasions also has interest from other clubs, there is no way they will intentionally lowball an offer way beyond the value/asking price.

Come on mate! For all the things to criticise FM for you’ve chosen a watertight contract which would have been NDA proofed. And then say the realism is totally gone. 

One of the features I would love seeing improved is AI squad building.. after a few years all AI squads are poorly built, with incompetent players in important spots and, most noticeable, very old players. I took over Real Madrid in the 2032 season and I had 8 players above 30, and within that group a 35, 36 and 37 year old, a terrible goalie, only two ok defenders and I think an average age of around 29/30 (didn’t look sadly but it was old…)

I'm managing in the lower leagues, so obviously you'd expect some poor refereeing.

But at least when playing on Comprehensive Highlights, I'm not noticing any controversial referee decisions, it's only in the press conference after the match that I'm told "After a referee performance that will generate plenty of discussion, how do you think it reflects on the standards of officiating", without elaborating on *what* controversy there was, and no option to view replays of the supposed incidents.

It's just another big flaw in how SI have poorly implemented media/press conferences.

Well this seems like a fair contract offer, let me just adjust my budgets a bit and see if I can negotiate out that 10% yearly wage rise.

image.thumb.png.3202443a4126f44f95eeaefec60eb42b.png

Player: I'm instantly aware that there's suddenly more wage budget available, you better give me triple my initial demands!!!!!

image.thumb.png.ae2f256ab782c1d1f91774cd03aef3d8.png

Meanwhile, if I simply adjust my budgets and accept their initial demands he's perfectly happy to sign for that measly 4m/year (and yes he has that 10% YWR, but that's still way less than the 11m/year otherwise....)

image.thumb.png.32327381afbffcfbaf0da754c453c213.png

I know this is a thing in FM and it's why I always keep my wage budget at the lowest amount possible, even if it means I don't keep any money from transfers because "our wage budget is doing poor", but geez, this was one of the most extreme examples of this nonsense I've seen in a long time and SI really should address this nonsense at some point....

1 hour ago, Freakiie said:

Well this seems like a fair contract offer, let me just adjust my budgets a bit and see if I can negotiate out that 10% yearly wage rise.

image.thumb.png.3202443a4126f44f95eeaefec60eb42b.png

Player: I'm instantly aware that there's suddenly more wage budget available, you better give me triple my initial demands!!!!!

image.thumb.png.ae2f256ab782c1d1f91774cd03aef3d8.png

Meanwhile, if I simply adjust my budgets and accept their initial demands he's perfectly happy to sign for that measly 4m/year (and yes he has that 10% YWR, but that's still way less than the 11m/year otherwise....)

image.thumb.png.32327381afbffcfbaf0da754c453c213.png

I know this is a thing in FM and it's why I always keep my wage budget at the lowest amount possible, even if it means I don't keep any money from transfers because "our wage budget is doing poor", but geez, this was one of the most extreme examples of this nonsense I've seen in a long time and SI really should address this nonsense at some point....

If you want this to be addressed by SI, you need to post it in the relevant Bugs forum with a save game uploaded.

Fm22 is too easy, high intensity attacking tactics make the game too easy to overachieve with any team in any league.

Not enough consequences to playing gegenpress, to play this tactic you must have a team with good stamina and work rate etc. How can a team like Kettering Town play gegenpress for an entire season at such high intensity and with such a small saqud. 

We need a difficulty levels or ways to adjust the game to be more realistic, on higher difficulty levels we could get tougher transfer neogations, injury ratio closer to real life, more consequences to playing different tactics etc. 

It feels like fm is trying to cater for the casual fan which is fine but the more experienced users who prefer a challenge need options to fine tune their game to their liking. 

I want a relegation battle instead I just click and go with little thought and I end up massively over achieving with every team I try, it becomes boring. 

1 hour ago, Weller1980 said:

Fm22 is too easy, high intensity attacking tactics make the game too easy to overachieve with any team in any league.

Well, then you are better manager than me. I just got the boot after this start to the new season.

image.png.2a11fcc9e3af1012f7f4296228458ba6.png

To be fair, my team was favourites for relegation, but the board thought that was bad enough for me to go...

17 hours ago, XaW said:

Well, then you are better manager than me. I just got the boot after this start to the new season.

image.png.2a11fcc9e3af1012f7f4296228458ba6.png

To be fair, my team was favourites for relegation, but the board thought that was bad enough for me to go...

I'm not a good manager really, I simply select gegenpress and change from positive to attacking mentality, do you play gegenpress? With those results I doubt it. 

Edited by Weller1980

4 minutes ago, Weller1980 said:

I'm not a good manager really, I simply select gegenpress and change from positive to attacking mentality, do you play gegenpress? With those results I doubt it. 

Well, yes. I use the same tactic I've used for years, and mostly with moderate success, and yes it includes counterpress.

image.png.80972c62c0f21511d699ebacdccd554d.png

It gives me just about what I would expect from my team, often slightly overachieving, but with a poor team we lost a few early on and then just couldn't get moral back on track. It happens, and I'll restart somewhere else. But I can tell you, you can't just press counterpress and win no matter.

Set piece routines are broken, episode #4096

Why is my DL (#26, Đorđević) coming short for a throw-in next to the opposition's corner flag on the right-hand side of the pitch? My throw-in routine has him set to Stay Back, with AMC (#23, Achtzehn) and MCR (#17, Hoffmann, in the D of the penalty area for some reason) on Come Short. I have DR (#20) set to Get Forward but he's standing in front of my CB (#24, Schmitt) near the halfway line, MCR (#16, Noël) set to Lurk Outside Area but he's behind my other CB (#18, Frank) at the centre circle - that DCL is set to Get Forward as well. STC (#11, Klein) is set to Attack Near Post but he's standing in the D of the penalty area, instead he should be roughly where AMR (#27, Fisch) is, who is set to Attack Far Post.

All around just completely bizzare and further demonstrates why the set piece creator desperately needs a huge revamp for FM23.

image.png.704a5271739fa7da91d25e2cf57202dc.png

image.png.8df54ee46bcfb529ce392d4e014a4cd5.png

I have to say I'm still ...perplexed? confused? by agents in FM.

All too often, an agent whose description says they're "known to be flexible and willing to negotiate in order to reach an agreement for his client" will be precisely the opposite in my experience; and an agent described as "regarded as a very impatient negotiator" will be much more flexible and patient.

Anyone else or just me?

Hi lads, wanted to post this here but I've discovered a potentially annoying bug in the editor when attempting to swap registered teams over in the Europa Conference League.

I wanted to swap Hibernian and Aberdeen for Motherwell and Dundee United but when I do that, the competition generates a third Scottish club, usually the one you replace either of the 2021/2 qualifiers with.

Which section would I be best putting a topic detailing this?

• Administrators
8 hours ago, MarcPTFC said:

Hi lads, wanted to post this here but I've discovered a potentially annoying bug in the editor when attempting to swap registered teams over in the Europa Conference League.

I wanted to swap Hibernian and Aberdeen for Motherwell and Dundee United but when I do that, the competition generates a third Scottish club, usually the one you replace either of the 2021/2 qualifiers with.

Which section would I be best putting a topic detailing this?

Here - https://community.sigames.com/bugtracker/football-manager-2022-bugs-forum/pre-game-and-in-game-editor/

Thanks. 

So due to the fact it was so overpowered in previous editions I've been avoiding using gengenpress tactics. I've switched recently out of curiosity and it still feels wildly overpowered. I used a very basic 4-3-3 DM wide with the gengenpress pre-sets with my Metalist Kharkiv team in the Ukranian League. Results so far have included my first ever win over Shakhtar, a 3-1 win over Celtic in CL qualifying and then a pretty staggering 8-1 two legged victory over Anderlecht in the same competition. This was with me just dropping this tactic in the day before the first of these games. It feels off to me that a tactic that relies on fitness and relentless pressing can just garner instant results with zero prep and training.

While i do love this game, high pressing teams are to op. only counter is to press more than them.

Just played a team in 3 liga as a bundesliga team.

i went with a slow short passing 4-2-3-1 vs a high press 4-4-2.

at 53 min i was winning 2-1 scoring both of my shots.

they had 18 shots and 8 on target against my 54% possesion and 5 shots and 2 on target.

There player were like flies stuck to all of my players.

so i just put tight marking, trigger press on all of there players and highest def line and line of engagement, very short passing and very high tempo.

Scored 3 goals and they couldnt get past the press.

a 3 liga team should not have such an easy time pressing a team with all players with 13+ in passing, vision, off the ball, dribbling, forcing the cbs/gk to have to kick it long and lose possesion.

Mentioned before but fan reactions to signings often seem wildly out of proportion. 

I've just signed an emergency backup keeper on a free for the season as I've only got two senior keepers on the books, my backup just got injured for about 5 weeks and the window is shut so only freebies allowed. 

Apparently my fans are ANGRY at this signing, which feels excessive for an emergency backup who likely will be here for 6 months.

18 hours ago, KingCanary said:

Mentioned before but fan reactions to signings often seem wildly out of proportion. 

I've just signed an emergency backup keeper on a free for the season as I've only got two senior keepers on the books, my backup just got injured for about 5 weeks and the window is shut so only freebies allowed. 

Apparently my fans are ANGRY at this signing, which feels excessive for an emergency backup who likely will be here for 6 months.

I feel that as well, maybe there should be an "indifferent" reaction as well. Not every signing has to be amaizing and work out wonderfully. Sometimes you just need a reliable player or just sign a talent who will be shipped because the development did not happen.

19 hours ago, robot_skeleton said:

I feel that as well, maybe there should be an "indifferent" reaction as well. Not every signing has to be amaizing and work out wonderfully. Sometimes you just need a reliable player or just sign a talent who will be shipped because the development did not happen.

Yeah exactly. I flagged the same issue where fans have really strong opinions when you sign a couple of 17 year olds on the basis they may have some potential. There is no chance these fans have seen enough of these random teenagers to form these opinions but yet the game still gives you them. 

Yet again asking for the entire Promise system to be put on a Falcon Heavy rocket and fired into the sun, especially as it relates to player roles.  The fact that that a player is capable of distinguishing between being an advanced playmaker in central midfield and being a central midfielder on support with the Shoot Less Often and Take More Risks instructions is ridiculous, and that they get mad about it is farcical.  It's also incredibly limited -- I can promise that a player will be an Advanced Forward, but not that they'll be a Pressing Forward or Inside Forward, for example.  Why not? 

Long time football manager player here. The one thing that has started to bug me recently is about how some of the hidden attributes which affect game play seem to be wedded year over year to really poor scores no matter how well a player performs in real life. A good case study example is Kevin De Bruyne vs. Jordan Henderson. If you compare some of their hidden attributes over the past 4 years, then you'll see that Henderson ranks consistently in pressure (Henderson 19 vs. KDB 11), consistency (Henderson 17 vs. KDB 16), and important matches (Henderson 18 vs. De Bruyne 15) in spite of De Bruyne consistently outperforming Henderson for the past few years. It appears that KDB has seen no boost in his hidden attributes while working under Guardiola while Henderson has received a considerable reward for his performances post-Klopp coming to Liverpool.

This feedback isn't meant to crap on the game and I realize I'm asking you guys to further split hairs on great players but I'm a huge lover of what you guys do and I just want the game to be as good as possible. With that in mind, I would love for stats like consistency and important matches to either be reevaluated more consistently from year to year to better reflect real world performance or for them to be more dynamic over a players career or coachable in FM23.