Football Manager 2021 Official Feedback Thread

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone have any experience of DOFs negotiating contracts with new signings in this edition? In FM20 and previous editions I swear most deals would break down and I'd even see they'd offer £0 wages - thought it was a bug but had so many deals break down because of it. Any luck this time around?

1 hour ago, Zemahh said:

To be fair, we weren't that far off in the past. But then SI scrapped the graphics engine for a new one and that's when 2D started going downhill.

Your image would be an absolute dream, but I'm not holding my breath 2D will get that much attention any time soon. For some weird reason, SI seem to be obsessed with forcing everyone over to 3D. :rolleyes:

MmvuKwF.jpg

Haha yeah, I know man, because that screenshot from FM 2015 you've posted is mine, from my save with Llagostera 😆 ( and I am glad you have shared it, they should see again how much better it was ) 

But you are right, it seems like they are forcing us to 3D. I have no idea how many times I mentioned here how better looking 2D engine would make immersion better for a lot of people, but they are constantly ingoring my comments regarding that. 3D will not be enjoyable for 5 years at least at this tempo, so I really think improved ( even old) 2D with this new, finally fun ME, would be dream as you said. 

Edited by Marko1989

5 minutes ago, RinusFM said:

Anyone else noticed people inside the box who shoot at the goal most of the time hit a defender? or just straight to the goalkeeper? Or when a striker as a clear cut-chance aka standing free they head instead of taking the ball on the chest and then shoot. 

Decisions and composure will affect at the outcome of those plays. Higher mentals, better results.

Just now, Sharkn20 said:

Decisions and composure will affect at the outcome of those plays. Higher mentals, better results.

Will take a look at my strikers. Its so strange sometimes.. Like it's ping pong, lol. 

Is there any way to organise match scheduling properly? When you use Saturdays and Wednesdays Europa League games are also moved to Wednesdays and when you use allow matches to be moved your games are moved to ridiculous dates (further dates in midweek) for no reason despite you and your opposition have nothing to do on weekend. Is there any way to fix it? 

11 minutes ago, RinusFM said:

Anyone else noticed people inside the box who shoot at the goal most of the time hit a defender? or just straight to the goalkeeper? Or when a striker as a clear cut-chance aka standing free they head instead of taking the ball on the chest and then shoot. 

Sounds like Christian Benteke.

Just now, Sharkn20 said:

Also has a lot to do with how well set the defence is when you get into the box.  A counter-attack goal where the defence is still trying to position itself is much more likely to be scored than one in which you've had to work your way into the box - needs really good players compared to the opposition to work an opportunity or a slice of luck with a deflection or poor clearance to get something in that situation.

13 minutes ago, RinusFM said:

Yes, it happens way too often for me. 

1 hour ago, rp1966 said:

I wonder if introducing a 'blimp cam' above the 3D pitch would work.  Would be top-down players rather than dots (which would give a bit of a Sensible World of Soccer vibe), but would at least give you a top down of the stadium around the pitch.

Isn't this the Vertical Scrolling camera?

8 minutes ago, goranm said:

Isn't this the Vertical Scrolling camera?

Vertical scrolling is very SWoS.  Blimp cam would be top down to the centre circle with the pitch left to right.  I think 'Data Analyst' is SI's version of a camera view that should satisfy the 2D fans in terms of showing the team shape, but obviously not.  Maybe it's just a thing about dots :D

Edited by rp1966

5 hours ago, Lempicka said:

Anyone else seeing consistently low ratings for fullbacks?

Yep. It appears even if your full back has defended his life out, cleared 5 balls off the line, won 20 of his 20 headers... if he is in a tactic that plays hoofball and his pass completion isn't over 90% he's down to a 5.8! The player rating system doesn't seem to reward defending, only attacking.

Loving the game this year, and the ME and I'm very picky. Just a shame it seems it's hard to give any value to player ratings which makes scouting and assessment very difficult. Especially combined with the UI changes which make stats a lot less accessible and heavily bugged at the moment,

Edited by Domoboy23

Yeah, it's a strange one. I'm definitely experiencing consistently low player ratings for Full Backs even in games where I feel like I'm defensively solid. You begin to doubt what you're seeing because whilst it feels like he's doing a good job, the ratings plummet to low 6s throughout, so the natural instinct is to take them off as they are having a below average game. If I'm winning 1-0 in a tight game where my oppositions xG is low, it seems odd that even by the latter stages my full backs are lingering around 6.2. They've done their job defensively, and largely haven't been turning over possession aside from the crosses they're expected to put in. Does pass/cross completion have too high a weighting on defensive players ratings?

34 minutes ago, Domoboy23 said:

It appears even if your full back has defended his life out, cleared 5 balls off the line, won 20 of his 20 headers... if he is in a tactic that plays hoofball and his pass completion isn't over 90% he's down to a 5.8! The player rating system doesn't seem to reward defending, only attacking.

If you have examples of that please report it in the bugs section if you haven't already. I'm certain SI would like to take a look at it and use it as an example of wrong ratings so they could fix it in future versions.

Couple of issues:

In a penalty shootout in Carabao Cup I selected my takers in order, picked one of my centre backs at 9th or 10th taker but he took the first one, all the others were in the order I had set. Luckily he put it away and we won, is that a bug or do I just have a maverick centre back?

After winning that tie as well as the round before, on the news item where it shows past winners of the competition. on each occasion it showed the team I had defeated as the winners for the current season?

Also would love to be able to disable the assistant advice popping up during the match!

thanks

i must note some things

- the match engine is amazing in 21.2. 

- the advices from the staff is better than ever

- its annoying that the goal pop-up bar doesn't show who assist + u can't click on the player's name who scored

- i kinda starting like the FM21 skin but the in-game UI is not good

- please fix the numbers bug in Israel ! we waiting for a hotfix 

Edited by Style

4 hours ago, XaW said:

If you have examples of that please report it in the bugs section if you haven't already. I'm certain SI would like to take a look at it and use it as an example of wrong ratings so they could fix it in future versions.

Will do. Am I right in saying that player ratings affect development also?

8 hours ago, Domoboy23 said:

Will do. Am I right in saying that player ratings affect development also?

I'm not 100% sure, I think I've heard something about it, but that mostly refers to how much time they play at the correct level, not how well they play. You could ask that when reporting, and get an answer from someone who knows it better.

Now that whatever was upset by the last update has worked its way through and the game is playing normally again, I'm really enjoying the way this year's game is playing. Still not keen on the match day UI, other than the way it allows the match to dominate the screen and gives a TV feel (no tablet on screen all the time in comprehensive mode) - too many UI bugs and inconsistent behaviour to give a good user experience.

Not enjoying it because of easy success either - I'm in English League Two with Salford - one week you lose a game and you're in 13th and the next you win a couple and you're in the playoff positions - no team has any consistency - it's great :D

Finding I'm having to think about changing from a press to regroup or drop mentality to stop the inevitable push from the opposition at the end of the game.  

I've kept my tactic appropriate to the team and league level, so haven't stumbled on a 'win everything' tactic.  It feels like I'm earning the wins - especially in my current injury ravaged squad state.

Every version of FM has a bunch of things that I'm not going to like - many of which are long-term baggage from what I like to think of as the 'Pundits Cliché Package' - all those overcooked external factors that SI have always had coded into the game that should emerge if you study the stats deeply, but can be seen from 1 season with one team. 

But having said that, this is the best FM in a very long while and I hope that any changes that are now made that feed into the ME are made very, very gently, because at the moment it's all pretty good. That's especially down to the ME team getting things very right after last year's less than stellar outing.

Edited by rp1966

1 hour ago, Wavelberry said:

Anyone else thinking that pelanties skew xG too much. Just beat a team 5-1 but because their goal was a pelanty in the opening minutes or xG was the same by the end of the match...

Penalties are like 0.76 xG but yeah, it would be better to seperate total xG and penalties. Every time analyst reports count xG and even when you don't play well but win with a penalty goal it says we should be happy with the result. 

Edited by CM

1 hour ago, Wavelberry said:

Anyone else thinking that pelanties skew xG too much. Just beat a team 5-1 but because their goal was a pelanty in the opening minutes or xG was the same by the end of the match...

I think xG could be divided into two sub stats. Set piece xG and Non-Set piece xG. That would show much more how well set pieces vs open play creates chances.

1 hour ago, XaW said:

I think xG could be divided into two sub stats. Set piece xG and Non-Set piece xG. That would show much more how well set pieces vs open play creates chances.

It's pretty common for analysts to refer to non-penalty xG, as the xG of a penalty is quite high. This is especially valuable when looking at the goal contributions of designated strikers. Take for instance Arsenal's Pepe. The season before they signed him he scored a boatload of goals, yes, but many of those were penalties, so his non-penalty xG was significantly lower than his standard xG. While being a good penalty taker is certainly a big positive, incorporating xG with penalties when analyzing a player is simply not giving an accurate representation. (I suppose the same could be said of team performances, but that also becomes more complicated, as winning penalties  and the frequency of that occurring is also of value for statistical analysis)

44 minutes ago, callpress said:

It's pretty common for analysts to refer to non-penalty xG, as the xG of a penalty is quite high. This is especially valuable when looking at the goal contributions of designated strikers. Take for instance Arsenal's Pepe. The season before they signed him he scored a boatload of goals, yes, but many of those were penalties, so his non-penalty xG was significantly lower than his standard xG. While being a good penalty taker is certainly a big positive, incorporating xG with penalties when analyzing a player is simply not giving an accurate representation. (I suppose the same could be said of team performances, but that also becomes more complicated, as winning penalties  and the frequency of that occurring is also of value for statistical analysis)

Well it's definitely something that needs to separated in analysis etc as I've had a few games I've won and been comfortably the better side but because the other team has had a pelanty (I've given away one or two this season) the analyst says we've sucked and got away with one or it was an even game when (especially in the case of the 5-1) it was not.

Does finishing 7th not guarantee you a place in Europa League if winner of FA cup goes to EL automatically by finishing 5th or are rules going to be different from 2021 because introduction of EL 2? Finished 7th but seems to be I'm going to EL 2 instead of EL?

Edited by CM

17 minutes ago, ajw10 said:

What's the deal with player ratings? Are they a problem or is this just how they are now? If they are broken it seems like a pretty big bug considering how important player ratings are.

This is how they are now. A 6.5 and less is a bad game with disciplinary action possible, 6.6 to 6.9 is an OK game, 7.0 and above is a good game. Hattrick with no assists will be in the 8's, even 4 goals will give you barely 9, maybe 9.1 if the player has made no assists of key passes. To get a 10 the player needs a legendary performance with goals, assists & key passes, or just assists assists with a large number of key passes.

Edited by goranm

Here we go. We're not playing great but defensively we are sound. Look at the defensive ratings! Unfortunately I can't look yet at the stats due to their absurd removal from the game - which is another reason why player ratings are so important, it's all the feedback we have to go on

Full time. Bellerin and Gabriel boosted (Gabriel was on a 6.3 at FT, but obviously walked off the pitch impressively hence his 0.5 raise).

Arsenal v Brighton_ Pitch.png

Arsenal v Brighton_ Review.png

Gabriel. Perfect passing. Didn't have much to do aside from that, so why the 6.3?

Gabriel_ Form.png

13 minutes ago, JordanMillward_1 said:

@ajw10if you and others could post these over in the bug forum, along with pkms and saves, it'd be appreciated. Obviously he shouldn't have a rating that low, so it'd help SI track down the issue and resolve it after the new year.

In the ME forum? I'm a bit concerned about the lack of engagement in that forum, but I'll give it a go

2 minutes ago, iAlwaysWin said:

If defenders have little to nothing to do why should they receive a good rating? Can you explain to me and i will stand corrected.

He's kept a clean sheet, done what he needed to do. No way should he be sat on a 6.3-6.5 pretty much all game.

5 minutes ago, iAlwaysWin said:

A clean sheet with nothing to do....not like the opposition has created alot of chances.

Right, but the low ratings implies that he's done something wrong. If he does nothing wrong he should be sat at a 6.8-7 all game. Same with goalkeepers, which is improved this year but is still an issue and was a huge one over the past 4/5 versions

8 minutes ago, ajw10 said:

Right, but the low ratings implies that he's done something wrong. If he does nothing wrong he should be sat at a 6.8-7 all game. Same with goalkeepers, which is improved this year but is still an issue and was a huge one over the past 4/5 versions

He's lost 66% of his headers and made 1 foul. Passes were probably all safe passes, and no key tackles or key headers. At the end of the game the 0.4 bump is likely a clean sheet bonus, and the game can't tell if it'll be a clean sheet until it's over.

Can you post a screenshot of Stones' stats for that match? He got a better rating with a yellow card, so there'll probably be some clues as to why Gabriel has 6.8.

Edited by goranm

6 minutes ago, ajw10 said:

No a rating in the 5 range implies he's done something wrong, the 6 range is average and not done anything out of the ordinary, the 7 range means he's having a good game and so on.

I think you need to understand ratings better.

Loving the match engine since the patch.

Has anyone else noticed that long shots are now way more effective? Not complaining as they were a bit ineffective before! One of my CMs has tripled his last season (pre-patch) goal tally and we're only 4 matches in, and my other CM has equalled his. All long-range screamers, love it. Even my wing-backs are banging in the occasional goal from 30 yards.

Edited by tiotom92

2 minutes ago, iAlwaysWin said:

No a rating in the 5 range implies he's done something wrong, the 6 range is average and not done anything out of the ordinary, the 7 range means he's having a good game and so on.

I think you need to understand ratings better.

Nope. If a player makes a mistake it doesn't allows fall into the 5's. Quite often it'll sit in the early 6's

Please though, continue to be rude

Just now, ajw10 said:

Nope. If a player makes a mistake it doesn't allows fall into the 5's. Quite often it'll sit in the early 6's

Please though, continue to be rude

If a player makes a big mistake, trust me he's dropping down to the 5 range, the 6 range has always been average.

13 minutes ago, iAlwaysWin said:

If a player makes a big mistake, trust me he's dropping down to the 5 range, the 6 range has always been average.

6.6 to 7 is average. 6.5 and below is where you can warn or fine a player for having a bad game and they generally won't complain.

Edited by goranm

48 minutes ago, tiotom92 said:

Loving the match engine since the patch.

Has anyone else noticed that long shots are now way more effective? Not complaining as they were a bit ineffective before! One of my CMs has tripled his last season (pre-patch) goal tally and we're only 4 matches in, and my other CM has equalled his. All long-range screamers, love it. Even my wing-backs are banging in the occasional goal from 30 yards.

IMHO that actually sounds bad and wouldn't be representative of what you'd expect over a large enough sample size, here's the Prem totals per club 13/14 matches in:

https://www.premierleague.com/stats/top/clubs/att_obox_goal