Football Manager 2021 Official Feedback Thread

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If I uninstall and install FM again, is it going to be a clean game; without this latest patch, or it will install this new patch automatically?

I thought my automatic updates were disabled. I want to revert it back to before 21.2 patch, so I would like to know will re-install help

Thank you

3 minutes ago, Marko1989 said:

If I uninstall and install FM again, is it going to be a clean game; without this latest patch, or it will install this new patch automatically?

I thought my automatic updates were disabled. I want to revert it back to before 21.2 patch, so I would like to know will re-install help

Thank you

A reinstall through steam will automatically install the latest update

3 minutes ago, Marko1989 said:

Man.. so no way to roll back the update.. that sucks.. okay, thanks

I dont think that there has ever been a way to roll back to a previous update using steam, unless you go to a computer back up from the older version and then stop the update

I am wondering.. I think my friend has disabled automatic updates, I will ask him tomorrow. If he didn't, can I copy his files to my steam folder?

I don't want to say they have changed something 100%, but I don't like shooting in this new patch, like it was better previously.. Of course I may be wrong, but I would really like to revert back to previous version just not to think at least about this anymore..

Edited by Marko1989

2 minutes ago, Nick_CB said:

I played 4 matches with this new update patch, all 4 games there were penalty goals, I will post on the bug topic, it is not possible that this is normal

I would suggest that 4 matches is not a big enough sample to make any judgement- maybe report it after 15-20 games?

Board: We are pleased with your management of the team. Last season's successes remain fresh in the memories and your current performance takes that into account. B-

Me: Asks for new contract

Board: We are underperforming this season (we're not), and are on our worst run to date (again, we're not) - denied

What?

Just now, samdiatmh said:

Board: We are pleased with your management of the team. Last season's successes remain fresh in the memories and your current performance takes that into account. B-

Me: Asks for new contract

Board: We are underperforming this season (we're not), and are on our worst run to date (again, we're not) - denied

What?

A save from just before that conversation would be a big help in the Bugs forum

1 minuto atrás, FrazT disse:

I would suggest that 4 matches is not a big enough sample to make any judgement- maybe report it after 15-20 games?

You're right
I thought it was a very strange coincidence, I hadn't scored or conceded any penalty goals, I am now the leader in both statistics

14 minutes ago, Nick_CB said:

You're right
I thought it was a very strange coincidence, I hadn't scored or conceded any penalty goals, I am now the leader in both statistics

Considering how many penalties we've had in the Premier League so far (only slightly less than one per match), I wouldn't say 4 in 4 matches is actually all that weird anymore.

9 minutos atrás, JordanMillward_1 disse:

Considering how many penalties we've had in the Premier League so far (only slightly less than one per match), I wouldn't say 4 in 4 matches is actually all that weird anymore.

To be more precise there were 6 penalty goals in 4 consecutive matches. I played the fifth match now and everything went well (phew)

On 17/12/2020 at 22:47, Leon_fogo said:

I 5 9 generation, Geforce GTX 1650 16 gm ram video card

Same lag for me even after latest patch, I7 with Radeon 5700xt. 1st game smooth and second always stuttering. unplayable. waiting on Sega now as they asked me to wait until after patch was released.

Little bit of a mixed bag with the update, I was having a lot of success through the middle before the patch but most of that play has been lost, can't tell if it's me changes that have killed it or the opposition looking to defend way narrower, but the wider play is much more enjoyable.

Wide players are actually running with a purpose most of the time, my pacey players are getting past their man and getting a cross in, the slower inverted wingers are facing their opponent up and working the space to get the ball in, while they'll recycle the possession back if nothing is on instead of the thumping it into the defender.

I am playing as Deportivo La Coruna in the 3rd tier and had won 16/16 before the patch so IRL every side would be looking to camp 11 behind the ball and force us out wide so that all makes sense.

I think I also just saw an offside player purposefully not touch the ball and walk away to allow an onside teammate the chance to run down to the corner and retrieve the ball which i've never seen before - it could just be an abomination of an animation but let's choose to think it was intentionally replicating real life.

A bit too much set piece play for me but again trying to break 11 cynical veterans down so I'll see how it is in the next tier as long as we don't bottle the playoffs

I just played a game against Aston Villa(I am Crystal Palace) and there were 3 penalties total in that game. I won the game, but I rage-quit. Thought this would be a long term save, but seems I have to wait until the penalty-fest is solved. Every game there's atleast one penalty. It's both me and the AI getting them, I don't use the "get stuck in" or anything like that.

Edited by swangin

2 hours ago, swangin said:

I just played a game against Aston Villa(I am Crystal Palace) and there were 3 penalties total in that game. I won the game, but I rage-quit. Thought this would be a long term save, but seems I have to wait until the penalty-fest is solved. Every game there's atleast one penalty. It's both me and the AI getting them, I don't use the "get stuck in" or anything like that.

This doesn't last in my experience. You may have a short period of seeing a tonne of them but the amount normalises over a longer period. I started a save in the 3rd Spanish division (also with Depor like the guy above you) and at least the first 5 or 6 games I saw a pen every game. First half of that 1st season I probably saw close to 10 pens being given. Fast forward to the start of year 3 of my save and I've only seen another 10 given in the year and a half since. I've gone very long stretches in between pens even while have tricky wingers constantly darting into the box every game for an attacking team. 

Edited by Mazinho

Initial Feedback on Patch

I don't know if I'll go deeper to give greater feedback.  I still can't get going on the long term save I want.  Either the San Marino Challenge again or perhaps the Andorra challenge.  Both have bugs with signing free agents - and indeed with my Sammarinese club, a player from my youth intake who wasn't in the recommended signings from the HOYD but I wanted to sign, I couldn't sign until 15 months later (I've already raised as a bug).

My ME graphics all of a sudden were better - don't see anything in the changelist...  Anyway, my PC's not handling it as well - some lag and players looking like they are ice skating, so might drop my graphics level down to "very low".

The ME itself is "meh".  There's the odd moment of magic in terms of middle of field play, but not as much as the beta.  Quite a few matches seem to have very few highlights.  The long punts by the keeper are slightly less - but they are very much still there, as is the awful defending from them - should be meat and drink headers - and also slow to react.  One thing that is new is I've found keepers positioning is awful - and as with defenders, they seem slow to react at times (and I have a very good keeper for Serie C).  Late goals from the AI are still there - been in control of games and then they must go attacking (although no notification of such via the dugout) and then you can't live with them.  Set piece goals and long shots both up.  Penalties I think are up a little as well - some of the animations around them make it very frustrating as they don't look like pens at all - so could live with them more if they looked more like clear cut pens.

In general with the release of patches that impact your tactics, it's a massive immersion buster - as are the bugs this year.  I'm sure it's been tough for SI, as it has been for most companies, but I just can't get into any save I try in FM21 as I hit a bug or the ME annoys me.  The beta ME was perfect - completely loved playing the game and looked forward to it after work or weekends.  Then whatever was done outside of the ME with the full release impacted the ME adversely - and I'm afraid this patch hasn't caught that lightning in a bottle the beta ME managed.  Frustrating that they had done it - they had 100% done it - and now they haven't...

So, back to FM19 for me while I'm still spending a lot of time at home.  I wouldn't have bought FM21 had it not been for the 2nd lockdown - but can certainly see me moving away from FM when things are back to normal.  It's a game that I should enjoy - but I just find it frustrating - FM20 because it was poor ME wise - and now this because it was there, and they changed something and now can't get it back again.

Edited by duesouth

Only managed 2 games so far on the new patch but no complaints from me. My 4-4-2 thankfully doesn't seem badly affected and managed a 3-1 win with Crewe against top of the league Crystal Palace :)

No penalties in those 2 matches either :brock:

24 minutes ago, duesouth said:

In general with the release of patches that impact your tactics, it's a massive immersion buster - as are the bugs this year.  I'm sure it's been tough for SI, as it has been for most companies, but I just can't get into any save I try in FM21 as I hit a bug or the ME annoys me.  The beta ME was perfect - completely loved playing the game and looked forward to it after work or weekends.  Then whatever was done outside of the ME with the full release impacted the ME adversely - and I'm afraid this patch hasn't caught that lightning in a bottle the beta ME managed.  Frustrating that they had done it - they had 100% done it - and now they haven't...

This mostly sums up where I am with FM21. When I played the beta it was amazing - they'd finally cracked it with an ME that delivered really good football, that captured that elusive quality that has you reacting like you are watching a live game on TV - the anticipation towards a goal, the joy at it going in or the let down of a miss that didn't feel like the ME nerfing the play in some way.  It felt very natural.  Why they didn't just leave well alone until they found a way to balance the allegedly too easy game with defensive enhancements in the midfield rather than screwing up attacking play I really don't understand. 

As is often the case, the new ME has affected my teams' performances even though it's meant not to - 'save game compatible' is one of those literal claims, but experience says that you are generally better starting a new save when a new ME comes out.  I've said previously it would probably help if you could cache the update to apply between seasons.

On my Saint-Etienne save things are still playing OK. But the Salford save is wrecked - since the update forwards have completely stopped scoring and I was in the last few games of the season, so not really much time to figure out what needed to change tactically. Some of the approach play is actually better that before the patch, that kind of makes things worse as there are more 'should be a goal' chances being shown. 

The fact the FMT save seems OK suggests it's probably a morale or dynamics related issue in conjunction with the new ME.

Hopefully a new save and going through pre-season with this ME will give me a stable save, but mid-season ME changes are often the death of a save.

Edited by rp1966

17 minutes ago, duvels said:

After a few days with the new patch and a some weeks with FM21 in general, this is my experience:

After last year's disappointment, I wanted to give it a new shot. I buy it through Steam, thinking: if the beta isn't fun/too many bugs/other annoying things, I'll return it. I start the game, before I'm into the first match, I've already spent 2h  -> gone is the option to ask for a refund. But hey, the ME is fun, maybe a bit too easy, some bugs, but it's a beta, so they might be patched out.

Full game gets released, suddenly the match experience feels different. I try to adapt, and got something going again, so I feel I accomplished something. I start a new save because with all the tinkering, saving/reloading to test stuff, squad building completely wasted because that was based on a different formation etc, it doesn't feel right anymore. I got a new game going, had fun for several weeks. Happy days!

Suddenly, on a blue midweek evening, I exit the game and I see Steam downloading an update for FM21. I got to this forum, saw a new big update was released. I went through the patch notes and read some promissing stuff: newgen bug being fixed (2nd time already, but let's be hopeful eh), ME changes which should improve defending (was needed) etc.

Next evening, I start the game again. In the first 4 in-game days I suddenly had 4 injuries to major players in my squad while we went relatively injury free throughout the season (it's April, run-in time), I though because I rotated quite a lot. No problem, that can happen. First game, and it feels completely different. Suddenly my AMC and ST become useless, other team plays through us like we're training cones while we had the best defence in the league, my 1m96 centerback loses headers against 1m75 wingers... Next match: similar. And again, and again, and again. My 35 goal striker couldn't score in 10 games straight, my AMC who was on a 10 goal, 17 assist, 7.63 avg season, suddenly plays like crap: 1 penalty goal and 6.3 avg in 8 games. On top of that, looks like some old ME niggles are still there or even got worse: way too many blocks around the area, central play reduced (which explains the draught of my AMC and ST), Burnley suddenly playing like Barcelona...

So I'm at the end of my 2nd season, I was having fun. Run-in time, which is exciting in several ways: you're competing to get your competition goals, you're already looking at squad improvements for next season and other stuff and suddenly you have to start all over again, which is impossible. When I as a human manager have to make tactical changes due to a sudden ME change, the tactical familiarity of your team drops significantly, while the AI doesn't seem to be affected at all. Looking at the matches in full detail and my tactic, which was adapted from my initial tactic based in feedback from this forum, is suddenly worth nothing.

So what should I do now? Start all over again, because I was forced an update? Ask for tactical advice again, from the same guys? What if we get a new patch within a week, do I have to start AGAIN?

I always start a save game with the idea to make it a long run: either staying at 1 club, or as a journeyman. At this moment, I just feel I can't commit like that, so I don't see the point to start a new game. Also I don't see the point continuing the old game as the whole tinkering and all stuff I said earlier will start again.

Very very disappointed.

This is spot on, so frustrating and happens every year. Happened at least 3 or 4 times during FM20. CONSTANT match engine changes. Majority of us were so happy with Beta ME, and look at what we've got now. From now on I'm only going to buy in March when the (hopefully) final update is out. 

As far as I know, some parts of the youth intake issue have been fixed - but other problems have now emerged.

I'm especially concerned that teams in some active leagues are only getting 5-8 players per intake, leaving huge gaps in their youth squads. An issue like this would just make me delay starting my long-term save even further than I was planning to. Seeing that the youth teams of Liverpool and Man City (etc) have loads of grey players would really put me off.

That's okay for the time being, as I'm still having fun on my beta save. Also, some of my best FM careers from the past few years didn't start until March or April (if not even later), after the last major patch. But I was really looking forward to starting a long-term journeyman career that'd last 10-15 seasons, and if we come to late January and the newgens bugs haven't been addressed, I will have to think of something else.

I'm not devastated, just a little worried. I still believe that SI can fix a lot of FM21's faults and deliver an excellent game, but how long my faith holds remains to be seen.

P.S. Thanks for bringing the timeline back for past matches! :)

Edited by CFuller

One thing I have just noticed. I won a match 4-0 and praised my players. After the game I received a news item saying tempers flared in the dressing room and I wasn't happy.

I happened to also single out my striker for extra praise, I wonder if this had an effect? Strange!

25 minutes ago, PAFC_Dugout said:

This is spot on, so frustrating and happens every year. Happened at least 3 or 4 times during FM20. CONSTANT match engine changes. Majority of us were so happy with Beta ME, and look at what we've got now. From now on I'm only going to buy in March when the (hopefully) final update is out. 

Exactly I asked SI to allow us to play BETA ME, next time Everyone save the game Folder before any update I wish someone did that and could upload it for all of us

3 minutes ago, damjanovski said:

I do not understand people complaining about the game after the patch. They manager to fix most of the problems from before the patch. I also love the fact that the game is more challenging now.

As for the Beta, now the game is much better than the Beta.

Great job SI!

I do not understand people defending the game after the patch. They didn't manage to fix most of the problems from before the patch. I also love the fact that the game is too easy now.

As for the Beta, now the game is much worse than the Beta.

Bad job SI!

(see what I did there?)

3 minutes ago, duvels said:

I do not understand people defending the game after the patch. They didn't manage to fix most of the problems from before the patch. I also love the fact that the game is too easy now.

Bad job SI!

(see what I did there?)

fact is SI could allow us to play whichever version we want... I don’t get why they don’t allow us to, they would of course only Provide help and feedback for the latest ME but if lots of people want the BETA ME just let them .... 

Edited by penza

12 minutes ago, penza said:

Exactly I asked SI to allow us to play BETA ME, next time Everyone save the game Folder before any update I wish someone did that and could upload it for all of us

Man why I didn't think off saving the game folder before the update.. 

I was so happy with beta and also ME before this update I could not stop playing the game. Now everything is ruined for me, again I wasted my money. For a whole day I am thinking about how to roll back the update, maybe I will buy physical copy of the game if that even exists. But I don't even know will the game update itself again and which version of the game will I even get

4 minutes ago, Marko1989 said:

Man why I didn't think off saving the game folder before the update.. 

I was so happy with beta and also ME before this update I could not stop playing the game. Now everything is ruined for me, again I wasted my money. For a whole day I am thinking about how to roll back the update, maybe I will buy physical copy of the game if that even exists. But I don't even know will the game update itself again and which version of the game will I even get

I tried to do a windows restore but it did not work 

15 minutes ago, duvels said:

Bad job SI!

(see what I did there?)

Well, you have your own opinion. Mine is different. I think the game is great now. 

Cheers mate.

10 minutes ago, alian62 said:

People are never happy . If they didnt touch the ME and left it as the Beta people would still complain . There is a percentage that just cant be happy or maybe its now hearts :lol:

I like the current ME and a lot do 

Mainz 3rd place first season, 4th place Southampton, won league with Atalanta, no wonder 🤣

25 minutes ago, Double0Seven said:

The best ME was always the previous ME. No matter how many flaws it had or how many people didnt actually test all aspects of the ME and are just going off their own eyes. Previous ME was always better. Always. 

No, that's not what I want to say in my post earlier. My point is that a ME update midway through a season could really take the enjoyment out of your current game. I don't feel like starting yet another save game just to cater for a new ME. I really hope the current ME is an improvement, but after watching several matches on full details, I'm afraid it's more of a sideways step than a step forward.

Completely agree with @Mr U Rosler about the newgen bug by the way. 

15 minutes ago, Mr U Rosler said:

Rather than clamouring for the 'click to win' Beta ME, people should be more concerned with the potentially game breaking Newgen Bug, right under everyone's noses.

People are concerned about that in relation to long term saves, but the way the ME is playing is of more immediate concern as it affects both short and long-term games.  It's not about how easy or hard it is, it is about the type of football that now isn't being played - all the sharpness of the beta has vanished.  

I actually suspect the ME itself is still excellent, but that it's being fed overpowered modifiers from outside factors.  

Edited by rp1966

Anyone else having problems with the response time is lagging after the new update? The matches goes as smooth as before, but when I click on buttons in the game, and reading in the inbox it can take several seconds (2-3)before the game reacts. 

2 minutes ago, einherjer83 said:

Anyone else having problems with the response time is lagging after the new update? The matches goes as smooth as before, but when I click on buttons in the game, and reading in the inbox it can take several seconds (2-3)before the game reacts. 

Yes, do you have a custom skin?  I went back to default & seems to have sorted it but there's still a slight lag