Are Player Ratings Harsher This Year?

I have built a successful tactic and this season have only lost 6 games across all competitions. However, only 7 out of my 25 man squad have an average rating of over 7. Usually at the end of a season I look at my players stats and think if they have over a 7 average rating then they've had a good year, and if it's below then they need to start performing better or be sold.

This year, using that measuring stick, i'd have the replace the majority of my squad every summer.

So, I have to ask. Are the player ratings harsher this year, or is it my tactic (despite the success in results)?

The player ratings do reflect the redpective actions they do that suit their roles.

A midfielder may get bad ratings if they do more defense than giving assists or scoring.

Don't change your swuad based on ratings but rather player ability .

At least 4 star players are good.

2 hours ago, dewhirst said:

I have built a successful tactic and this season have only lost 6 games across all competitions. However, only 7 out of my 25 man squad have an average rating of over 7. Usually at the end of a season I look at my players stats and think if they have over a 7 average rating then they've had a good year, and if it's below then they need to start performing better or be sold.

This year, using that measuring stick, i'd have the replace the majority of my squad every summer.

So, I have to ask. Are the player ratings harsher this year, or is it my tactic (despite the success in results)?

I am top of the league by 20 points and have just two players averaging a 7.00 or higher. My best player rating is 7.1. A lot of my key players are in the 6.5-6.8 range, which doesn't feel right. The range of values is too narrow anyway, but now the absolute amount seems lower than it should be.

Yeah, I think the problem is mainly that the high ratings are very low. I feel its because a lot of valuable work is not been accounted for.

Like, getting around a 6 or more is easy even if you lose playing half decently. But then you see a lot of MoTM with 7,X. Even in great matches 8,X. Its very very rare to see 9s and 10s which I think drops down the average.

In of my last macthes I saw one of my central midfielders (the one that focuses more on defence in the formation) doing great work in almost every highlight. He was recovering/intercepting so many balls that had been lost restarting the attack (sometimes with nice passes) and avoiding counters, and also directly intervening in defence with press and tackles. Of course I was only seeing extended highlights, so I dont know how much he did outside them. But just seeing how present he was overall in highlights it was surprsing seeing he didnt even got a 7. So big actions put you high, but the constant smaller contributions I feel are not weighted enough.

They know there are some issues as I already feel changes from the update. I feel ratings and overall slightly higher, and GK specially had a notable increase. Now a GK with 0 goals but little/no work gravitates towards 7 instead of low 6.

i was just going to start a thread on this and here it is already. i have just finished 3rd in my second season with fulham and my keeper has the top average rating of 7.13. i have one defender just below that and then the rest of my team are all dipping below 7 overall. i have run through the other sides to check and it seems to be a theme with the AI sides too who apart from the odd player creeping over 7 they are all averaging in the 6's.

certainly seems a lot harsher that previous versions where if you were successful you would expect plenty of 7.5 - 8 average overall ratings for the season.

Edited by mozza79

I'd advise anyone with specific matches were rating as harsh to report it to SI in the bugs section. Even if it's reported before more examples will surely help them improving this. :thup:

My fullbacks are my best players (star rated) and get absolutely dog ratings and at the moment we're 12th predicted 22nd so I must be doing something right tactically. Is it because I'm giving up the flanks defensively maybe? I'm happy to raise a bug report if I can nail down that it is a bug and not just me not utilising my players correctly. Which I might be.

Edited by Wavelberry

I'm seeing the same. Would you mind adding the 'key tackles' to your squad screen and see if you get all 0's too? I'm starting to suspect they aren't logged and so not contributing to the ratings. It is my defensive players who seem to be most affected.

dimage.png.1c6c1f637a9f846784f68452c6178d94.png

4 hours ago, CAE82 said:

I'm seeing the same. Would you mind adding the 'key tackles' to your squad screen and see if you get all 0's too? I'm starting to suspect they aren't logged and so not contributing to the ratings. It is my defensive players who seem to be most affected.

Some stats are still clearly bugged after the latest patch which downgrades all players ratings. 

4 hours ago, CAE82 said:

There are few stats that are bugged in this version so far.

I never get errors either, either every team is perfect or something is wrong with it.

On 22/12/2020 at 05:13, dewhirst said:

I finding since the latest update ratings are very harsh. Most of my team seem to end up with 6.something ratings. Very annoying and i am now giving up till the next update.

3 hours ago, evilpimp972 said:

Yeah I mean my fullbacks aren't getting good ratings for good defense anymore since the last patch, this is terrible and needs a hotfix

Yeah I’m having problems with my full backs. Ratings seem harsh across the board generally since the patch but full backs seem to struggle the most. 

I actually just upgraded both my FB’s recently but neither seem to be performing either. Attribute wise they are still clear upgrades but guess this might be the reason rather than my poor judgement in the transfer market. 

Its a shame - I just last week told myself that this years version "out of the bag" was the most enjoyed version for a few years, and sadly since the update its just bad with the ratings - think i´m gonna shelve it until the March update to be sure it wont change again - just hope it reverts to a game thats enjoyable.

Edited by JensenS

Surely this destroyed my save. Currently playing with Napoli in April my average player ratings are below 7. My best player Osimhen with 25 goals has just 7.22 average rating. I am 3-rd in the league. For comparison the 3-rd team in Spain is Real Madrid and their players all of them have ratings well above 7. Their best player has rating of 7.65! This impacts the value of my players and the interest in them for transfer.

I hope for quick fix because it is unplayable this way for me.

Edited by damjanovski

2 horas atrás, Wavelberry disse:

This has a knock on too with player development as poor performances cause poor morale and they in turn cause poor performances and players don't develop.

I think that's the main issue with ratings. It has a knock on effect on player development which is a game breaking bug for anyone on a youth development save, for example. 

15 hours ago, Domoboy23 said:

It's not even this year. It's since the last patch

Nah it;s since the release patch.

I've a save with Saint Etienne where I have just won the league in first season  after being expected to finish 10th.

My top scorer had 2 less goals than Neymar (7.56) and only scraped a 7.01.

Of my title winning squad I have 2 players over a 7 average over the course of the season. the 2 wide mean have double figure goals and assists each for the season and are like 6,8*.

Doesn't seem to be affecting AI controlled players weirdly enough.

Edited by treble_yell_:-)

hace 21 minutos, treble_yell_:-) dijo:

Nah it;s since the release patch.

I've a save with Saint Etienne where I have just won the league in first season  after being expected to finish 10th.

My top scorer had 2 less goals than Neymar (7.56) and only scraped a 7.01.

Of my title winning squad I have 2 players over a 7 average over the course of the season. the 2 wide mean have double figure goals and assists each for the season and are like 6,8*.

Doesn't seem to be affecting AI controlled players weirdly enough.

Could you upload your save in the bug forum? 

For me this issue is totally gamebreaking, and your save seems to be a good example of bad ratings. 

Thanks! 

Well, I have filtered by all players with 20 or more appearances, at 31/03, of the top 4 leagues: Spain, England, Italy and Germany, that are simulated in full detail.

I definitely can see that ratings are lower than other FM. I show right and left defenders, midfielders, strikers and central defenders as example.

Just 8 right/left defenders are at 7 or more (None of them >7.10)

14 midfielders are at 7 or more (Just 4 of them are >7.10)

Great scorers have relative low ratings Muriel: 19 goals, 7.04; Lautaro: 19 goals, 7.08; Immobile 26 goals, 7.04

13 central defenders are at 7 or more (Just two of them are >7.10)

Seeing this I believe that there are two options, maybe SI has wanted to nerf all ratings proportionally, and the second one that players ratings are not working properly.

Hopefully someone of SI staff could explain us what is happening!

image.thumb.png.86b7e1e8e07e99403f852a901afad341.pngimage.thumb.png.0de807707b65158f7b65688ddae24aec.pngimage.thumb.png.320ec92c962b9db868e080b2e79052da.pngimage.thumb.png.c8c93a55ecc3e82c56567527720f89ea.png

its put me off playing until it gets some kind of fix. seeing over three quarters of my team have less than a 7 overall average rating despite having a hugely successful season finishing near the top of the league and winning cups is a but depressing to see. hope it gets a fix in the coming weeks.

On 23/12/2020 at 18:11, CAE82 said:

I just checked this has been broken from release by the looks. I'm 5 games into my 6th season in Ligue 1 and nobody not one single player has made a key tackle in 5 games apparently across the league...seems to work fine for leagues I'm not managing however (I haven't updated since one of the minor patches).

• SI Staff
7 hours ago, kiwityke said:

I just checked this has been broken from release by the looks. I'm 5 games into my 6th season in Ligue 1 and nobody not one single player has made a key tackle in 5 games apparently across the league...seems to work fine for leagues I'm not managing however (I haven't updated since one of the minor patches).

Could you please update the thread in the Match Engine Bugs forum with this info - it will help the testers there investigate.

3 hours ago, Alari Naylor said:

Could you please update the thread in the Match Engine Bugs forum with this info - it will help the testers there investigate.

Yeah sure will do. Do you know what the current build is? I don't think I'm on the latest but just to make sure it hasn't somehow stealth updated without me realizing.

Another annoying thing is that after a very successful, unbeaten season some of my players have developed semi-bad partnerships (yellow/orange lines, will probably get worse in time) due to poor ratings of some positions (CB's and FB-W). Doesn't make sense really.

On 22/12/2020 at 05:13, dewhirst said:

I have been looking through this forum to see if anyone has posted this. They are definitely harsher this season, I am 3rd in the top division as a newly promoted team and 1 player in a 30 man squad averages over 7. Also a lot of match performances in the 6.1- 6.6 region, even if we have turned someone over 5-0 with no individual mistakes. It is certainly different and harsher this year and will take some getting used too.

On 23/12/2020 at 10:45, Wavelberry said:

My fullbacks are my best players (star rated) and get absolutely dog ratings and at the moment we're 12th predicted 22nd so I must be doing something right tactically. Is it because I'm giving up the flanks defensively maybe? I'm happy to raise a bug report if I can nail down that it is a bug and not just me not utilising my players correctly. Which I might bet is clearly an isssue within the game..

I have the same issue with every full back that plays for my team which is has been a successful one. It is misleading as I have been wasting time looking for new ones. It is clearly an issue within the game.

hace 1 hora, Stevo_99 dijo:

It is certainly different and harsher this year and will take some getting used too.

The problem is that it is not a SI design decision to make ratings harsher, no full detail leagues are getting the same rating as all years, so it is not a thing that we have to get used, It is a issue.

And this issue concerns all positions, the only position that seems to be not very relevant affected at all are goalkeepers in base of my comparatives

Edited by pejocho

On 23/12/2020 at 21:59, Domoboy23 said:

It's not even this year. It's since the last patch

Agreed, before this patch it was working fine and i was enjoying the game. This patch has made me stop playing.

On 24/12/2020 at 18:25, mozza79 said:

its put me off playing until it gets some kind of fix. seeing over three quarters of my team have less than a 7 overall average rating despite having a hugely successful season finishing near the top of the league and winning cups is a but depressing to see. hope it gets a fix in the coming weeks.

Same here. Annoyed as the game was the best in years before this update. 

I have no problem in average rating being reduced per se. Look at something like Who Scored or even newspaper articles and you’ll see few players over 7.

The key thing is this change needs to be applied throughout all aspects of FM. If 6.4 is now a reasonable rating then I shouldn’t be getting press conference questions about fans bewilderment at my failure to sub him. (Not that journalists ever ask that question IRL but that’s a gripe for another thread!)

10 minutes ago, Mr U Rosler said:

Anyone in the DM position doesn't stand a chance. 

6.1, 6.2 ratings routinely. Getting no credit for tackles and headers. 

Disappointing, needs a hot fix as a priority. 

If they're attacking DM roles like a Segundo or the Regista they get better ratings but any defensive type of DM is done. My best player and my best prospect are a fullback and DM respectively and I can't continue the save without this being addressed.

On 26/12/2020 at 16:10, AFCBeer said:

I have no problem in average rating being reduced per se. Look at something like Who Scored or even newspaper articles and you’ll see few players over 7.

The key thing is this change needs to be applied throughout all aspects of FM. If 6.4 is now a reasonable rating then I shouldn’t be getting press conference questions about fans bewilderment at my failure to sub him. (Not that journalists ever ask that question IRL but that’s a gripe for another thread!)

and that right there is the issue. like you said, if 6.5 is the new 7 for instance in FM then i don't think anyone would really care. but that is clearly not what is happened. as you mention the focus from the press on a player having a bad game who scores a 6.5/4 shows you that.

Also check out the reports for your players when on international duty. two of mine recently registered 6.5 performances and the reports said 'was largely disappointing' and 'didn't have the best of games'.

On 24/12/2020 at 11:57, damjanovski said:

Surely this destroyed my save. Currently playing with Napoli in April my average player ratings are below 7. My best player Osimhen with 25 goals has just 7.22 average rating. I am 3-rd in the league. For comparison the 3-rd team in Spain is Real Madrid and their players all of them have ratings well above 7. Their best player has rating of 7.65! This impacts the value of my players and the interest in them for transfer.

I hope for quick fix because it is unplayable this way for me.

Do you have Spain loaded as a fully playable league?

hace 7 minutos, damjanovski dijo:

Yes, also I checked the other leagues that are playble, it is the same situation. In the league that I play Italy the ratings are worse. All of the other have better ratings.

Im sure that these other leagues are not at full detail, because of that they are getting better ratings