Football Manager 2020 - Feature Announcement Blogs

11 hours ago, rdbayly said:

Firstly, I want to say I have high hopes for this year's release..

However; there is a significant chunk of the active forum userbase that doesn't want new features; they want a more enjoyable and immersive version of what already exists.

From a marketing perspective, it is my opinion that the announced headline features are largely a complete irrelevancy.

You know what SI, it would do you the world of good to simply put out a statement which outlined what you thought of FM19's ME, what you liked / disliked and what you are trying to improve this year.

It seems to me that you are afraid to acknowledge historical mistakes (e.g. last years's UI and horizontal pitch view). Guys, just be open and honest; we'd all appreciate it.

Thank-you in advance for the game I'll buy regardless.

Edit: I'd also add this key point: Football at elite level (from a coaching and tactical perspective) has changed beyond belief in the last 5 years. I honestly cannot see how the brilliant coders at SI can adapt to said change with the tools at their disposal. Time to move on and rebuild from the ground up. I know nothing about coding, therefore I cannot and will not demand a quick fix; however; you cannot say this game continues to be a simulation, if you can't simulate the sport we love.

Neil talked about the ME last year, and got blasted for it. Even in your post you've made assumptions and judgements already (ive bolded it). So why, in all honesty, would they bother?

That's not even getting into the fact that it's simply not particularly good marketing. 

Again, and its been said quite a lot; the forum user base is not a majority of the actual user base. There's an often inflated view of what the forum represents in the grand scheme of things. And the number of posters in GD are a minority of the number of actual members. 

Even then, there are those who do want new features (and when you consider the requests thread, and the number of features in the pipeline from Miles, theres a lot of people who want new features), and beyond that SI also have their ideas of what they want to add.

Further, when you consider that Miles is talking about features specifically requested by members, it's perhaps a little bit silly to say they are largely a irrelevancy.

I don't mean to be harsh, but its really not all about this forum, there's a much bigger base beyond that, which is why they do so much on social media. That's not to dismiss the many good things the forum offers, but we should wary of believing the forum is representative of the fanbase, or can speak for the fanbase. 

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll be broadly happy with a match engine where strikers score a few more goals, where certain positions aren't desperately weak ... and where we get to select the shirts in advance of a game or at the very least where the editor lets us pick the damned shirts we wear for certain matches. The away shirt problem is so immersion breaking and frustrating and it comes up every single year. Last season, after they screwed up one of the fundamentals of Scottish football - that Celtic v the Ibrox club takes place with both sides in their home kits and for which either wearing an away shirt is mad to begin with - I said I wouldn't buy a version that had something that ridiculous and easily resolved in it.

Fix that problem - and the nagging one about the fans all wearing the shirts that the players are wearing, with no variation, no alternative shirts in the crowd, not even a great variety amongst the generic fans - and I'll be happy.

Fix all of that, I'm in, all the way.

I think people here are expecting to much , especially regarding to the new features , i think the game in pretty solid in good , maybe a little improvements on the manager AI and stuff like that.

Tactics and Training were very big think for me in FM19 and i think they really done a good job.

I really hope that the ME will be their best version yet, because really for me FM 19 was amazing, i just want to see better ME , animations like double passes, dribblers, more creativity play style form the high level CM and AMC

I hope they do a few Twitch streams showing off the game, like they did last year. Was really nice to see it being played prior to the release, even if they don't show certain things that are still being worked on. Even though it's still early, it feels like the FM19 hype was much bigger than this year's... :rolleyes:

As for the features, I agree they look very underwhelming so far. Some minor additions and the rest looks mostly like remaking the menus and items that were already in the game. Such as staff advice, for example. The most important question here is whether they massively improved the kind of advice we're getting, not how shiny it looks. I'd love to be able to actually consult my staff, but currently the backroom advice is the first thing I turn off when starting a new save. It's just a waste of time and space, it makes zero sense and if you actually follow the advice you get, you'll very likely end up with a complete mess of a tactic.

Also, the 3D manager presentation, which you see for the whole 10 seconds in the main menu, before loading your save, a headline feature? Is that really what they spend so much of their time on? And yet still, the game graphically looks like something from early 2000's. I don't expect FIFA-esque animations, but the whole 3D engine does this game a huge disservice. It makes any issues look much worse and what bugs me the most, most of the time you can't even clearly make out what it's trying to show you. For example, defenders' body positioning is completely wrong most of the time, they turn the shoulder and leave their man out of sight and if you concede from that, you can't even tell why (unless you're a veteran who knows exactly what each animation is trying to portray the moment it starts)--you simply can't tell what actually happened or whose fault it was, so I end up throwing my eye on the actual text commentary. One thing 3D cameras are good at, is ruining the immersion. :seagull:

10 hours ago, gunner86 said:

At this point, I fell the need to ask, what big important, amazing features are people expecting to be added to  game that has been running since 2004 (in it's current guise, and a further 22 yeares before that as CM), and is already pretty feature heavy?

While I'm reasonably happy with what's been announced, I would love to see both the DoF (so you can choose to play purely as a manager and leaving club direction to him) and International Management improved. They're both reasonably distinct playing styles that would add something different to the game. I remain hopeful that they will both be improved this year.

That and being able to change kit colours. There's no option in FMT at least due to lack of editor and being colour-blind it can be really hard with one team wearing red and the other green for example.

4 hours ago, themadsheep2001 said:

Neil talked about the ME last year, and got blasted for it. Even in your post you've made assumptions and judgements already (ive bolded it). So why, in all honesty, would they bother?

That's not even getting into the fact that it's simply not good marketing. 

Again, and its been said quite a lot; the forum user base is not a majority of the actual user base. There's an often inflated view of what the forum represents in the grand scheme of things. And the number of posters in GD are a minority of the number of actual members. 

Even then there  are those who do want new features (and when you consider the requests thread, and the number of features in the pipeline from Miles, theres a lot of people who want new features), and beyond that SI also have their ideas of what they want to add. Further, when you consider that Miles is talking about features specifically requested by members, it's perhaps a little bit silly to say they are largely a irrelevancy. I don't mean to be harsh, but its really not all about this forum, there's a much bigger base beyond that. Which is why they do so much on social media. That's not to dismiss the much good things the forum offers, but we should wary of believing the forum is representative of the fanbase, or can speak for the fanbase

From memory... he got blasted for saying things like "this is the best ME ever" when after several patches the problems that existed on release persisted despite all the bug reports. 

There's way to market a ME upgrade. Mourinho's out of work, get him involved like they did with Hodgson previously.

4 hours ago, chuckles1234 said:

From memory... he got blasted for saying things like "this is the best ME ever" when after several patches the problems that existed on release persisted despite all the bug reports. 

There's way to market a ME upgrade. Mourinho's out of work, get him involved like they did with Hodgson previously.

There was more said, but general gist was that while there were still things to improve as ever, he felt it was one of the best MEs. Now people might not agree, and there will always be bugs that persist, but there's no point asking for someone's view when you're going to hammer them for it. 

9 hours ago, LaytonBhoy said:

and where we get to select the shirts in advance of a game or at the very least where the editor lets us pick the damned shirts we wear for certain matches.

Oh! Finally someone noticed that! I don't understand why this small feature isn't there on FM for years ago. I'm also pissed with AI choosing kits for matches, why we can't do that?

1 hour ago, armbi said:

Oh! Finally someone noticed that! I don't understand why this small feature isn't there on FM for years ago. I'm also pissed with AI choosing kits for matches, why we can't do that?

Managers shouldn't choose kits, it just needs to be programmed better

12 hours ago, BigV said:

Steam is showing up as 8th of november which has been crushed by fm twitter page but going off that then 2 weeks before so mid/end of oct. 

Where?Because in my steam acount it says just November 2019.

Edited by Sheriff7

6 minutes ago, craiigman said:

This twitter voting to drip feed us new features has to be one of the worst feature reveals I’ve ever come across for a video game.

It’s not building hype and is actually a pain in the arse to find out what the features actually are.

As always, the big announcements are going to be through the usual channels. Miles is just revealing smaller features that aren't really newsworthy. It's been like this for a few years now.

25 minutes ago, HUNT3R said:

As always, the big announcements are going to be through the usual channels. Miles is just revealing smaller features that aren't really newsworthy. It's been like this for a few years now.

Aren't really newsworthy being the understatement the only really newsworthy thing is if there is going to be big advances in the ME and matchday graphics

2 minutes ago, Tony Wright 747 said:

Aren't really newsworthy being the understatement the only really newsworthy thing is if there is going to be big advances in the ME and matchday graphics

There is always a ME section and they've already talked about match day graphics, surprised you missed that: https://www.footballmanager.com/feature/graphic-improvements 

5 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

There is always a ME section and they've already talked about match day graphics, surprised you missed that: https://www.footballmanager.com/feature/graphic-improvements 

Waiting for the usual later news about the ME and no I didn't miss the announcement about the graphics, but I don't consider a picture of a player in his undies, a manager's suit and a couple of distant views of a stadium and some grass as groundbreaking news

3 minutes ago, Tony Wright 747 said:

Waiting for the usual later news about the ME and no I didn't miss the announcement about the graphics, but I don't consider a picture of a player in his undies, a manager's suit and a couple of distant views of a stadium and some grass as groundbreaking news

Then I'm not entirely sure what you want them to do tbh, they only way to see it in action is in the demo. Just because you don't consider it important, doesn't mean it isn't for others. More to FM than just you and I :)

2 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

Then I'm not entirely sure what you want them to do tbh. Just because you don't consider it groundbreaking, doesn't mean it isn't. More to FM than just you and I :)

As I said, waiting for some "real" news on the ME and graphics.  The drip feeding of news is the way SI Have chosen to do it and thats up to them, but I and I believe quite a few others will wait and see what improvements there are to the ME and matchday graphics which will determine whether we buy the game or not.  As I have said many times I think this game is wonderful and I absolutely love it, it's just a four year old one thats all.

10 minutes ago, Tony Wright 747 said:

As I said, waiting for some "real" news on the ME and graphics.  The drip feeding of news is the way SI Have chosen to do it and thats up to them, but I and I believe quite a few others will wait and see what improvements there are to the ME and matchday graphics which will determine whether we buy the game or not.  As I have said many times I think this game is wonderful and I absolutely love it, it's just a four year old one thats all.

That's fine, but that doesn't change the fact that there has been news, nor the original point that just because something isn't newsworthy to you, doesn't mean its not for others. And if you're waiting to see those changes in depth, then you probably need to see the demo really, as the headlines of features (which is what this thread is) won't really be for you in terms of what you're looking for.

7 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

That's fine, but that doesn't change the fact that there has been news, nor the original point that just because something isn't newsworthy to you, doesn't mean its not for others. And if you're waiting to see those changes in depth, then you probably need to see the demo really, as the headlines of features (which is what this thread is) won't really be for you in terms of what you're looking for.

Yes I know you are probably right about the demo, this is what I have always done anyway, but a video closer to release will give a good indication as it has it previous years.

1 minute ago, Tony Wright 747 said:

Yes I know you are probably right about the demo, this is what I have always done anyway, but a video closer to release will give a good indication as it has it previous years.

I agree videos would be good when they do it, but I'm a firm believer that you need to play with the ME before you can get a good idea of it

I wonder if we see more big changes to the game, because these 5 key features in my humble opinion are not worth buying new game so far. I mean, I really do enjoy the game and the ME even with flaws but I'm concerned how many player's requests (from fm request sub-forum) will be implemented. Yes, these key features and roulette features are good, I like them and I think they'll make the game easier to navigate for new players. 

As a researcher I'm doing my best to set players and club(s) ratings as in real life, I'm trying to replicate real life performance in these little numbers, setting ppm to the players and tendencies to coaches/board. And I really hope SI will reward me, reward us with game and match engine which will show why we spent days and weeks tweaking every player. 

And for other people bashing SI for these additions - I get that you have to publicly express your option (we all do, that why this is called forum) but YOU DON'T HAVE TO BUY THIS GAME. If you don't like it - not buying the game will be more powerful than insulting people responsible for development. You have plenty of time to think about buying, and when the beta comes out - just follow main beta topic, watch game-play on youtube. And then decide.

Massively improve the match engine. Create a game that is challenging in the long-term vs. being able to easily out-think the AI. Not asking for something crazy but just the fact that you can buy all the best 16 year olds in the world under the noses of every big club is silly. Fix that and the way the AI nurtures them and it is a massive start. Then we can talk about playing and managerial styles to make personalities come out.

20 hours ago, ViG1980 said:

Massively improve the match engine. Create a game that is challenging in the long-term vs. being able to easily out-think the AI. Not asking for something crazy but just the fact that you can buy all the best 16 year olds in the world under the noses of every big club is silly. Fix that and the way the AI nurtures them and it is a massive start. Then we can talk about playing and managerial styles to make personalities come out.

This

32 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

People complaining should cast an eye at FIFA 20.

£50 and theyve not even updated the squads for the new season, they've not updated the European Competitions for the new season, if you try and sign a player but dont complete it before you're next game he just stands in the centre circle for the whole match. The big teams in the league are randomly playing full teams of reserves, and a huge majority of players are seeing Liverpool or Man City being relegated in the first season.

Be thankful SI dont obsess over lootboxes and ignore the majority of their customer base.

Imagine the outcry on here if even one of these things was in FM20.  FM isn't faultless by any stretch, but SI do an incredible job with what is a far more intricate and involving game than FIFA will ever be. 

22 minutes ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

Imagine the outcry on here if even one of these things was in FM20.  FM isn't faultless by any stretch, but SI do an incredible job with what is a far more intricate and involving game than FIFA will ever be. 

Aye, for all FMs flaws, and all the complaints, at least they sell you an actual game. You literally cannot play FIFA this year unless you spend actual money in the game. 

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Fifa 20 is not a football management sim. When there is a new Fifa Manager then we can make comparison.
And you can only improve by competing with better competitors not by competing with garbage, influenced by garbage and in the end become garbage too.

By most accounts, FIFA Manager was mediocre - at best. The last few games were incredibly bloated with needless 'features' that added next-to-nothing to the simulation, though there were a few interesting ideas that made their way into FM (dynamics, for example).

I'm not sure there needs to be a new FIFA Manager for FM to improve. SI have had no real competition for the better part of a decade, yet they've still made some pretty significant enhancements from FM14 to FM19. But of course, some users will just dismiss those improvements out of hand because they weren't the improvements THEY wanted to see.

Now... compare Career Mode in FIFA 14 to Career Mode in FIFA 19, and what's the biggest difference? You can now actually see a player in your office when discussing a contract with him and his agent. It's no wonder the FIFA CM community is up in arms, especially after the disastrous release of FIFA 20 set the game mode back even further.

Edited by CFuller

3 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

£50 and theyve not even updated the squads for the new season, they've not updated the European Competitions for the new season, if you try and sign a player but dont complete it before you're next game he just stands in the centre circle for the whole match. The big teams in the league are randomly playing full teams of reserves, and a huge majority of players are seeing Liverpool or Man City being relegated in the first season.

Be thankful SI dont obsess over lootboxes and ignore the majority of their customer base.

Oh well then, let's all give SI a massive pat on the back and be done with it! 

You'd think people on here were acting outraged, when really people are just underwhelmed by the feature reveal for the new game. Which is fair enough when quite a few of them hardly seem like improvements. I'm sure SI are big enough to take a tad bit of disappointment.

3 horas atrás, RandomGuy. disse:

Last FIFA I bought was 2001. So I have no idea how it is now. What I do know is that I wouldn't give 1 dollar for a game with those mistakes. And if that's the case and people still happily give 50 dollars en masse for it, why should EA do a better job?

I pre-ordered FM20 (and the last 3) because I sincerely enjoy it. When I find a bug I post it, when I have a suggestion I share it, and I will keep buying Football Manager as long as I am satisfied and will stop buying it without any hesitation if that stops to be the case. That's what people should do, with every single game.

Edited by 99

On 28/09/2019 at 10:37, Brother Ben said:

Managers shouldn't choose kits, it just needs to be programmed better

There's no way to program it perfectly for everyone. There are different types of colour blindness. Red-green is the most well known, but this has different varieties (unable to see greens properly vs reds properly, deficiency or totally lacking the relevent cones, and impacts on colours many wouldn't expect like Blue vs Purple). And there's e.g. blue-yellow which is completely different, people who have both or who can only see in greyscale etc. The only way to make the game consistently accessible to all of them is to allow the kits to be chosen. It doesn't have to be a feature for everyone, it could be turned on in the preferences, but it'd be very easy to implement and has literally no downside, those who don't want or need it can just ignore it.

1 minute ago, 99 said:

Last FIFA I bought was 2001. So I have no idea how it is now. What I do know is that I wouldn't give 1 dollar for a game with those mistakes. And if that's the case and people still happily give 50 dollars en masse for it, why should EA do a better job?

I pre-ordered FM20 (and the last 3) because I sincerely enjoy it. When I find a bug I post it, when I have a suggestion I share it, and I will keep buying as long as I am satisfied and will stop buying it without any hesitation if that stops to be the case.

The majority of FIFA players won't be arsed about Career Mode. I'd say over 90% of the player base will be getting it solely for Ultimate Team. The rest are probably looking at Online Seasons with a small amount looking at playing Pro Clubs with their friends. 

Yeah Career Mode is dodgy on it this year ( I haven't yet got the game but read enough about it lol), but the fact is it's not even close to being one of their priorities.

9 minutos atrás, 99 disse:

I pre-ordered FM20 (and the last 3) because I sincerely enjoy it. When I find a bug I post it, when I have a suggestion I share it, and I will keep buying Football Manager as long as I am satisfied and will stop buying it without any hesitation if that stops to be the case. That's what people should do, with every single game.

To what I said here, I also should add that people should keep SI "in check", for the simple reason that Football Manager have no competition whatsoever. It's the top, top football simulation game, no one else gets even close. And without competition and demanding clients, a company might get sloppy, without even realizing it or doing it on purporse. So yes, people should keep requesting features, report bugs, give suggestions, and then do what I said before, if you are satisfied buy it, if you are not satisfied anymore, stop doing it...

1 hour ago, arwelt said:

The majority of FIFA players won't be arsed about Career Mode. I'd say over 90% of the player base will be getting it solely for Ultimate Team. The rest are probably looking at Online Seasons with a small amount looking at playing Pro Clubs with their friends. 

Yeah Career Mode is dodgy on it this year ( I haven't yet got the game but read enough about it lol), but the fact is it's not even close to being one of their priorities.

Theres also massive bugs with the new Volta game, and Ultimate Team, with people losing their entire team for absolutely no reason, and EA are clearly taking the day off as nobody is responding to anything this weekend.

4 hours ago, Spurs08 said:

There's no way to program it perfectly for everyone. There are different types of colour blindness. Red-green is the most well known, but this has different varieties (unable to see greens properly vs reds properly, deficiency or totally lacking the relevent cones, and impacts on colours many wouldn't expect like Blue vs Purple). And there's e.g. blue-yellow which is completely different, people who have both or who can only see in greyscale etc. The only way to make the game consistently accessible to all of them is to allow the kits to be chosen. It doesn't have to be a feature for everyone, it could be turned on in the preferences, but it'd be very easy to implement and has literally no downside, those who don't want or need it can just ignore it.

Ok thats fair, hadn't thought about it from that point of view, only from a realism one

5 minutes ago, hungmn said:

Is Miles trolling us deliberately?

This isn't trolling at all. Miles' feature roulette simply reveals some of the new additions/tweaks that show attention to detail or improve Quality of Life. You may not be interested in Norwegian B teams working more realistically, but there are still some FMers out there who are.

Besides, it's NOT as if SI have focussed on adding a few more conversation options instead of improving the match engine.

1 minute ago, HUNT3R said:

He isn't. Why do you ask?

Counting more conversation options as a feature no one cares about for a start. Looking at his revealed features, I think there must be a very big change in match engine so he is doing that to give us a nice surprise at the end

Just now, hungmn said:

Counting more conversation options as a feature no one cares about for a start. Looking at his revealed features, I think there must be a very big change in match engine so he is doing that to give us a nice surprise at the end

You do not speak for the entire SI community. There are plenty of FMers who do appreciate these additions.

4 minutes ago, hungmn said:

You can't expect him to be announcing anything huge. He's revealing things that would have gone unannounced and left for us to discover. So see these reveals as bonus material. Just because it's not a big feature, doesn't mean it's not a new feature. :thup:

The bigger feature reveals will be through the usual channels.