Football Manager 2020 - Feature Announcement Blogs

Pretty underwhelmed by a lot of this so far to be honest, the one thing I'm really hoping for is that it be possible for goalkeepers to commit fouls, but that's been an issue for years and there doesn't seem to be any interest in sorting that out so who knows.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, jcw163 said:

Pretty underwhelmed by a lot of this so far to be honest, the one thing I'm really hoping for is that it be possible for goalkeepers to commit fouls, but that's been an issue for years and there doesn't seem to be any interest in sorting that out so who knows.

Can’t see this changing this version as it requires collision detection which sounds like a major change to the engine - which I’m sure would have been announced as a headline feature. 

Just now, GOODNAME said:

I dont want to be rude or something , but who cares about reserve teams in this days? so many new features about this.. dont get it

The results are often close, but thousands vote so there are people who are interested in these things.

Well, this looks like a really good addition to the game, especially for LLM and building club from the bottom, but it really depends on how it will be implemented. Requesting a B team is one thing (and surely a nice one) but will you be able to actually bring this B team to playable divisions? Such as B teams in Holland, Portugal etc. that can play as high as second divisions. Let´s say you form a new B team and during next few seasons it will start playing in playable leagues.

10 minutes ago, GOODNAME said:

I dont want to be rude or something , but who cares about reserve teams in this days? so many new features about this.. dont get it

I do and I vote for reserve/B teams in every poll :lol:. It's actually a nice feature and something a lot of customers had requested for years so the interest is there.

1 hour ago, Tomor29 said:

Well, this looks like a really good addition to the game, especially for LLM and building club from the bottom, but it really depends on how it will be implemented. Requesting a B team is one thing (and surely a nice one) but will you be able to actually bring this B team to playable divisions? Such as B teams in Holland, Portugal etc. that can play as high as second divisions. Let´s say you form a new B team and during next few seasons it will start playing in playable leagues.

This must be in regulation with the League rules.

3 horas atrás, GOODNAME disse:

Well, I guess that feature is essential if you play a Youth Challenge to develop better some players, for example. It's one of my favorites at the moment.

3 horas atrás, GOODNAME disse:

I do and I would love to start my career in the reserve / u-X teams. But to truly work, a manager that would do REALLY well in those teams should have a slight preference from the board to manage the first team in the future. Being able to bring the youngsters you've been managing already to become the next stars. Like Guardiola at Barcelona did.

Edited by 99

1 hour ago, 99 said:

I do and I would love to start my career in the reserve / u-X teams. But to truly work, a manager that would do REALLY well in those teams should have a slight preference from the board to manage the first team in the future. Being able to bring the youngsters you've been managing already to become the next stars. Like Guardiola at Barcelona did.

This part should be developed further in the game. I remember how I was a manager of B team and when they sacked manager of the first team, I applied for the job. And then the board was disappointed with me for that, they were also disappointed in the interview and asked me why I was applying for other jobs while managing a team... So, the game currently doesn't recognize that it is actually the same club and you are not applying for other jobs, you are just seeking a promotion.

On 01/10/2019 at 15:37, Bigpole said:

But in some leagues there is a rule that b/reserve team must be at least 2 divisions below 1st team. And what if only 2 divisions are playable? 

As with Germany (where many B-teams are in the regionalliga), it still acts as if games are played in that league, it's just not got a playable league.

1 hora atrás, BamBamBam disse:

Anyone else abit meh so far on these new features?

Unless something major is being held back, I don't think I will be getting it this year.

I understand the sentiment. Even tho I pre-ordered, I did it mainly for how much I like FM19 and welcome an upgrade, not really for any of the new featured already announced for FM20.

Still hope we don't know it all yet...

18 hours ago, BamBamBam said:

Anyone else abit meh so far on these new features?

Unless something major is being held back, I don't think I will be getting it this year.

My sentiments too. Not buying it until I see match engine and more realistic game play (player, GK movement...), modern tactics and a (much) closer reflection to real world football, and of course my players playing to the tactics I set them. 

Hopefully it's all in the works. 

Been far too long for these stuff not to be done properly. 

13 minutes ago, theballstopshere said:

My sentiments too. Not buying it until I see match engine and more realistic game play (player, GK movement...), modern tactics and a (much) closer reflection to real world football, and of course my players playing to the tactics I set them. 

Hopefully it's all in the works. 

Been far too long for these stuff not to be done properly. 

Wouldn't expect them to fix them either. 

13 minutes ago, Double0Seven said:

Comparing two completely different games. FM has no alternative and has stalled as a result. 

I have to agree even though I don't have hard facts.

I was taken aback when I read that they are building a collision detection system, and it's been four years. 

I have little knowledge of how these things work but I can only guess that if there's a competitor it would not have taken them four years. 

Collision (tussling, tackling... for the ball) should be a basic feature of the game (yes, even though it may not be easy to implement). 

But come on, football is a contact sport. 

Entire stadiums and buildings can be built in four years! lol

But of course i am not comparing apples to apples. 

Edited by theballstopshere

54 minutes ago, theballstopshere said:

I have to agree even though I don't have hard facts.

I was taken aback when I read that they are building a collision detection system, and it's been four years. 

I have little knowledge of how these things work but I can only guess that if there's a competitor it would not have taken them four years. 

Collision (tussling, tackling... for the ball) should be a basic feature of the game (yes, even though it may not be easy to implement). 

But come on, football is a contact sport. 

Entire stadiums and buildings can be built in four years! lol

But of course i am not comparing apples to apples. 

As I am a programmer, I do understand that building a proper collision detection system can take long. These are the things you want working well and not half ass implemented because you have a competitor. 

There are other things I am more worried about like the graphics of the game. Of course FM isnt about the graphics, but for a game that is consistently in the top 10 most played games (even older versions regularly beat new games) every year (on steam at least) the graphics are terrible. There are mobile games from small companies that have better graphics. And this is a relatively "simple" game as it involves only 22 people kicking a ball yet sometimes rather simple things such as running look bad. 

I can understand certain things not being there yet, but when b team features, rule changes, redesign of panels, more conversation options no one asked for and stuff are being announced thats just annoying for a fan base of such a big game. That along with a controversial director that doesnt care about PR and only makes FM look worse with some of his comments...

But October isnt gone yet. Lets hope for a better feature soon. 

44 minutes ago, Double0Seven said:

more conversation options no one asked for

Speak for yourself :)

There are many times I've experienced not having a conversation option, in press conferences and talking to players, that reflects what I want to say or the direction I want the dialogue to be steered in, or wanting to interact with coaches and other managers but not being able to because it isn't in the game.

12 minutes ago, autohoratio said:

Speak for yourself :)

There are many times I've experienced not having a conversation option, in press conferences and talking to players, that reflects what I want to say or the direction I want the dialogue to be steered in, or wanting to interact with coaches and other managers but not being able to because it isn't in the game.

Fair enough. Just feel like majority of the people dont care. Especially with more and more being added. Football manager isnt Football PR manager in my opinion. 

Of course not but wether you like press conferences and media interaction or not it's a part of football. There's the age old argument that it's boring and the questions are the same but 99% of pre and post march interviews are the same, with the same questions depending on the context.

Either way, the media can be a great tool to motivate players, unsettle transfer targets, too. It doesn't have to be a chore 

42 minutes ago, Neil Brock said:

Appreciate that people want to raise their opinions in regards to the features announced so far but whatever your perspective, please try and keep it respectful. As with every version of Football Manager an incredible amount of work goes on behind the scenes. There's always a host of improvements and changes which don't fall under 'features' which aren't really the types of things suited to social media announcements and the like which will make the game a more realistic, in-depth and authentic managerial experience. 

Nearly every area of the game has dedicated coders assigned to it all-year round so even if you feel an area you're interested in hasn't had much discussion that doesn't mean there won't be improvements and changes. 

Some of the features which have been discussed within the community just aren't practical for a host of reasons. Licencing currently restricts what we can do in regards to a number of aspects related to stadiums and there are practical reasons why we don't feel a 'youth team manager' option is really viable as Miles has explained in the past. The way if often works in football mean that in most scenarios the user manager would have extremely little to do - the formation/tactics can often come from the first team manager and they don't have any say in transfers. Realistically you'd be restricted to training and interactions with your squad. But even that would be limited as it's the first team manager who has the final decision of what a player's status is at a club. They don't even always get to choose the first XI as this can come from the first team manager as well. Plus add in the fact youth team managers aren't necessarily judged on results, but player development means it could be a really restrictive game mode. 

If we can find a way to do it which won't be incredibly restrictive maybe we will, but the reality is we have a lot more we want to do for future versions away from that which we think will benefit a larger number of our users. We only have a limited amount of resources so every minute of development time has to be carefully planned and accounted for. We're not always going to please everyone with our decisions but our goal is always the same - to create the best version of Football Manager possible. Please remember we're all fans too and strive to make a game we all want to play (for hours and hours and hours). 

Thanks. 

I appreciate the response, but in regard to the tactics being dictated by the first team—again, in FM we can already decide whether to let the youth managers use their own tactics or not. Following the same logic, the user as youth manager would also be able to choose whether or not to use the first team tactics. Is there any reason that shouldn't be the case if (however unlikely) that mode were to be included in the game?

I wonder if we will see better balanced regen attributes. Too many issues with regens, in my opinion. Like crazy physical attributes, a lot of them are on C.Ronaldo level, lack of inside forwards, attacking full backs and so on. So my question would be if there are news mentioning any improvment with that issues? It seems there are few sources we are getting feature news from, so maybe i missed something.

1 hour ago, autohoratio said:

I appreciate the response, but in regard to the tactics being dictated by the first team—again, in FM we can already decide whether to let the youth managers use their own tactics or not. Following the same logic, the user as youth manager would also be able to choose whether or not to use the first team tactics. Is there any reason that shouldn't be the case if (however unlikely) that mode were to be included in the game?

The way I see it is, it's not the 'user' that decides this but the first team manager (who by current design is also the user but there is a distinction). 

So if you are the youth team manager, the first team manager would have the option of dictating the youth team's formation, starting lineup, and tactics, should they choose to. I'm pretty sure that this is the game play limitation that @Neil Brock is referring to. 

Edit: I do understand where you are coming from though. In the real world we wouldn't be able to override the Director of Football, so there are obvious similarities to that existing feature. 

Edited by DementedHammer
Grammar

• Administrators
1 hour ago, DementedHammer said:

The way I see it is, it's not the 'user' that decides this but the first team manager (who by current design is also the user but there is a distinction). 

So if you are the youth team manager, the first team manager would have the option of dictating the youth team's formation, starting lineup, and tactics, should they choose to. I'm pretty sure that this is the game play limitation that @Neil Brock is referring to. 

This. The alternative is introducing an unrealistic scenario in with the aim of making the game more realistic? Doesn't really work. And as stated above, that's only one of a fair few limitations with the idea. 

7 minutes ago, Neil Brock said:

This. The alternative is introducing an unrealistic scenario in with the aim of making the game more realistic? Doesn't really work. And as stated above, that's only one of a fair few limitations with the idea. 

Personally I wouldn't be so interested in this feature, and I'm not sure about other countries but in Italy first team manager doesn't decide formation, tactics or line-ups of youth team (exceptionally he could make one single over-age player available to give him playing time after an injury but that's it). Youth teams (both players and managers) are actually getting more and more media attention, clubs often invest and buy players specifically for youth teams, and managers who did well at youth level are often considered for jobs at senior level. So I think this feature would make a lot of sense, at least in leagues like Italy.

5 hours ago, Double0Seven said:

As I am a programmer, I do understand that building a proper collision detection system can take long. These are the things you want working well and not half ass implemented because you have a competitor. 

There are other things I am more worried about like the graphics of the game. Of course FM isnt about the graphics, but for a game that is consistently in the top 10 most played games (even older versions regularly beat new games) every year (on steam at least) the graphics are terrible. There are mobile games from small companies that have better graphics. And this is a relatively "simple" game as it involves only 22 people kicking a ball yet sometimes rather simple things such as running look bad. 

I can understand certain things not being there yet, but when b team features, rule changes, redesign of panels, more conversation options no one asked for and stuff are being announced thats just annoying for a fan base of such a big game. That along with a controversial director that doesnt care about PR and only makes FM look worse with some of his comments...

But October isnt gone yet. Lets hope for a better feature soon. 

I would broadly agree with most points in this post

Il y a 5 heures, Neil Brock a dit :

They don't even always get to choose the first XI as this can come from the first team manager as well.

This.  Sorry @Neil Brock but why this should be different than the way the game is doing it at the moment?  As of now, let's say players A & B are left back for U21 team and that player C is left back in the U18.  Even if the user (i.e. 1st team manager) decide to leave player C in U18 (because of coaches for example), if player C is "better" than players A & B, then the U21 manger will bring player C to play games with U21 squad without asking.  The only way to have player C stay inside U18 only is to do micromanaging because AI U21 manager can override the decision whenever he wants (when it comes down to game line-up) as long as the players concerned are in squads other than the Senior squad.  So, I'm asking, why should it be diffrent if user would be U21 manager?  Why couldn't he override the 1st team manager in deciding the starting XI (as long as the players are not from the main squad)?

I'm sorry if this is nitpicking, but for me, this was where the argument broke down.  Right now, internationnal management gives us nothing to do (training wise... even physical recuperation cannot be done cause our players can't play2 games inside 4 days without being at 80%, most of the time, for the second game)....  The only difference with being a U21 manager would be the option of choosing the formation and, in some instances, the line-up (i.e. senior squad player that come back from injury and need some game time).  On this particular element (of being a youth team manager), I am sorry to say that I think the arguments you brought don't hold water.  On the other hand, managers starting in lower status, in bigger clubs (Zidane, Gardiola, Nagelsman all were mangers of lower squads in bigger teams for example), is a realistic path in a football manager simulation...

Edited by Rien102

Some issues I had with the last game were players getting angry unrealistically, has this been fixed?  For example you'd sell a fringe player and they'd get angry and then cause a squad mutiny, this would happen a lot.  It should only be for marquee players that you didn't have to sell.  In my game before it was everyone from Ospina to Welbeck and many others inbetween, in real life there's no way those sales would create such problems.  Has this been improved?  Was hard to keep squad morale when players would complain and get angry about such trivial things like that, beyond that when you'd try to speak to them it would often get worse even if you had a reasonable explanation.

27 minutes ago, Ras said:

Some issues I had with the last game were players getting angry unrealistically, has this been fixed?  For example you'd sell a fringe player and they'd get angry and then cause a squad mutiny, this would happen a lot.  It should only be for marquee players that you didn't have to sell.  In my game before it was everyone from Ospina to Welbeck and many others inbetween, in real life there's no way those sales would create such problems.  Has this been improved?  Was hard to keep squad morale when players would complain and get angry about such trivial things like that, beyond that when you'd try to speak to them it would often get worse even if you had a reasonable explanation.

Things like this would only cause squad mutiny in rare circumstances. You could have handled it badly, had a poor reputation compared to the club and players, had poor attributes so players would complain more etc. In general, these events shouldn't cause problems for a respected manager.

12 minutes ago, HUNT3R said:

Things like this would only cause squad mutiny in rare circumstances. You could have handled it badly, had a poor reputation compared to the club and players, had poor attributes so players would complain more etc. In general, these events shouldn't cause problems for a respected manager.

It was probably the reputation factor, but as you begin there's not too much you can do about that.  I still don't think it should have an effect to the degree it did though, especially since a lot of those players were kind of unanimously agreed on in real life should be let go and upgraded upon.

1 minute ago, Ras said:

It was probably the reputation factor, but as you begin there's not too much you can do about that.

You choose your starting reputation, so this is within your control.

55 minutes ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

New features appear to be adding more depth to the existing game rather than re-inventing the wheel like last year did. I'm fine with that, you can't expect wholesale changes to an annually released management simulation every year. 

And on top of that, the lack of any major headlining new feature has the usual suspects in meltdown, so it's all good! 

I'm fine with refinements, but they are asking the full price of a new game which many people don't pay. Just look at how popular older versions are. They regularly beat newly released games these days. 

You cant push just refinements and a roster update that people can do for free and expect people to be happy. Were already missing many things in this game in current year like graphics, licenses (which I can understand) that make it a full fledged simulator. 

It seems to be the trend with games these days, but it's not a trend I'm happy with. I'm just happy the micro transactions in FM are rather limited, but the content added every year feels like DLC sometimes and not a brand new game. 

At least games like Total War, Civ, other simulators know that and their DLC is not full price. Something like euro truck simulator 2 consistently rework parts of the map fully for free as well while new versions of the game aren't released yearly. 

So refinements? Sure. Asking full price for refinements? Nah. 

Edited by Double0Seven

It's now 3 weeks before the release of the game, yet we have had no mention of the crucial issues that dog these threads.

No mention of Match Engine or AI concerning transfers. It's an issue SI. We've had some snippets of screen shots and some random mention of a few added extras that, let's face it, are rule changes rather than features.

The headline stuff is hardly ground breaking. I've preordered. Because I'm an fm junky. But to snare the casual or newbie, the hype and media has been rubbish. 

We have Miles chucking us a picked clean bone of info and making us work for it on Twitter.

It's really no suprise that there is so much negativity on these threads pregame release, because of the lack of information.

I think if we are expected to fork out the best part of thirty quid, we deserve more than better coloured faces on our management profile as a new feature.

People are aware they can wait till the price drops, or shops around for bargains? Every year there's a thread on wherever lowest price is, it's actually something encouraged by Neil. 

What I can't get my head around is not being happy with something, and then buying it anyway. That's entirely on the buyer. Everyone has different subjective standards, but if it doesn't meet yours, don't buy it. 

Have SI ever revealed substantial match engine footage from the newest FM (i.e. more than a few seconds' worth) so far from the full release date?

This is something we don't normally get until after the beta is out. Just saying.

6 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

People are aware they can wait till the price drops, or shops around for bargains? Every year there's a thread on wherever lowest price is, it's actually something encouraged by Neil. 

What I can't get my head around is not being happy with something, and then buying it anyway. That's entirely on the buyer. Everyone has different subjective standards, but if it doesn't meet yours, don't buy it. 

But this goes for everything doesn't it? If the game is released at a lower price, it will also drop over time. So I don't consider this an argument against thinking it's too expensive. Every consumer product will drop in price over time. 

I generally agree with the statement to not buy something if you are disappointed. But there is no competitor for FM. Just like with some other markets like Windows PCs or Intel CPUs some time ago. Even if you didn't like it, there were no alternatives if you wanted something of it. I am forced on Windows to play FM natively, but as a programmer Windows isn't great. Yet here I still am as there's no alternative. 

This happens when there's no competition.