Football Manager 2020 - Feature Announcement Blogs

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

49 minutes ago, roykela said:

Excited for FM20 to come out. I like the headline features.
If implemented correctly it could change the way i play the game significantly.

My biggest hope, though, is that they have fixed the everlasting issues with custom views.
They have been wonky for way too many years now.

Like you I really do hope that the long ongoing issues with custom views, continually having to re-size columns, are finally addressed and fixed. I have been raising this issue for years now with  nothing changing. Looking back through my old posts I note that the SI response to me after flagging issue again at time of FM17 beta was

"Thanks for your comments guys.

The issue is under review and we take all your feedback forward to help shape future editions of the game"

Issue was still there in FM18.......

Fingers heavily crossed but .......

6 hours ago, Rashidi said:

Yeah so far these UI changes are looking like a definite QOL improvement for a lot of people even for some of the hardcore users. The issue with custom views has been around so long I have gotten used to them by now. I love code of conduct and I can see myself carrying a bigger stick. The biggest issue this game has had for many years is how overwhelming the UI can be for a new user, so getting new players a more streamlined interface where important features are easier to access is going to be good. I only discovered that "loan reports" were in the Transfers section YESTERDAY, so you can imagine how happy I was to see it up front and centre in a landing page which is all about development.

I just watched your FM20 Preview on YT. I wanted to say thanks for the honest assessment of what's been revealed so far and you summed up exactly how I feel. Many of us love this game and dedicate thousands of hours to playing, it can be difficult to be critical of something you value so highly. The bottom line is the game will only improve if the community respond with honesty about the "new features" and the existing flaws. Thank you.

Edited by janrzm

21 hours ago, Johnny Ace said:

but the ass man's advice really needs to be improved. I mentioned on the feedback thread for FM19 yesterday, the advice he offers is useless, he doesn't know our system, if I'm playing a direct game & have 49% possession, he'll recommend shorter passing when that could totally go against your system.

Yeah that's a good Point. As I've argued in more recent times, it is debatable whether the game has at all embraced such a Thing such as Management and playing styles yet. Players, including AI, all get to (micro)-tweak their stuff and/or get to work from losely "Presets" -- the latter of which technically just being SI Micro-Settings (interpretations of a style) giving a Fancy name. There is Nothing or Little inside the Code that addresses "playing styles" as such proper. Actually, all Managers get to invent their own interpretations of a style. It's arguably impossible to Code feedback that makes sense within context -- when that context arguably isn'T even a thing in the game. Obviously depending on a style, you're Looking at hugely different benchmarks.

If Sean Dyche's assistant Manager would tell him that he'd concede a load of shots and suggest that he may Change his Approach, Dyche'd tell him to bugger off. It's inherent to his Deep Blocking brand of Football. He's not fussed About those shots -- and be it the most in Europe's top leagues, as of December 2017 when he sat top six with Burnley btw. He'S fussed About what those shots are like. Now obviously Things in Football are Pretty varied. Not every defensive style is the same as Dyche -- same as not every possession style is the same as Pep's. However, I think for a game, you have to conceptualize things at some Point, and may make a few cuts. Or else you may face a Task that is impossible...

Obviously the advice the assistant offers currently is nothing like he would manage the match himself would he take over -- luckily at all. :D At the same time, it may spring the Question why both -- the AI advice (and thus "Analysis") -- and their actual Management are being treated like two different things from the go. 

Edited by Svenc

15 hours ago, mhaffy said:

Like you I really do hope that the long ongoing issues with custom views, continually having to re-size columns, are finally addressed and fixed. I have been raising this issue for years now with  nothing changing. Looking back through my old posts I note that the SI response to me after flagging issue again at time of FM17 beta was

"Thanks for your comments guys.

The issue is under review and we take all your feedback forward to help shape future editions of the game"

Issue was still there in FM18.......

Fingers heavily crossed but .......

I can remember the same issue floating around in FM 15 it was? If you google the issue, there are people from fm 15 who report similar problems with custom views so I remembered correctly.

People will always complain about SI not doing enough, but I surely hope like you that this issue is fixed after 5 years. As a programmer I know its hard to fix certain problems, but after 5 years, countless of reports and a reproducible problem?

I hope its gone by now...

Edited by Double0Seven

Will expected goals (xG) be in the game to give you an idea how you are doing? I'd like to be able to see it per game, and also perhaps a running average over 10 games to give you an idea of whether you should make changes, or bad results are just a fluke.

When they say "headline features"... does it mean that these (development centre etc.) are the biggest changes in 2020?

I couldn't care less about new features, the amount in there at present is great. I just hope they've significantly improved the match engine. 2019 was released with very problematic strikers; through balls; crossing etc etc and most of the ME problems couldn't be fixed in the patches. 

32 minutes ago, chuckles1234 said:

When they say "headline features"... does it mean that these (development centre etc.) are the biggest changes in 2020?

I couldn't care less about new features, the amount in there at present is great. I just hope they've significantly improved the match engine. 2019 was released with very problematic strikers; through balls; crossing etc etc and most of the ME problems couldn't be fixed in the patches. 

Changes to the ME is kept separate and there will be news and videos much closer to release when they get closer to the ME version that is locked for release.

Miles has said on Twitter that they are still working on it, so it’s very difficult to see how there won’t be changes and/or improvements.

I hope that unplayable spanish B teams can promote through the divisions in FM20. I was hoping that the B team news would include general B team behavior, not only some updates for how B teams work in the MLS.

If you start a save with a spanish team that has a B team in an unplayable division, then it is almost impossible to develop quality players for the future. They get to play only with u19 players. The point of B teams is that the reserves players can play against higher quality opponents and not other kids.

Edited by Vali184

34 minutes ago, Vali184 said:

If you start a save with a spanish team that has a B team in an unplayable division, then it is almost impossible to develop quality players for the future.

@Seb Wassell Seb, not really FM20 related as I seem to remember you discussing this on the forum before (edge of memory).  Could you shed a little more light on how player development via unplayable teams (such as in Spain) works?

11 minutes ago, herne79 said:

@Seb Wassell Seb, not really FM20 related as I seem to remember you discussing this on the forum before (edge of memory).  Could you shed a little more light on how player development via unplayable teams (such as in Spain) works?

I thought that promotion from unplayable league is a little bit mix of reputation and 'correct region' B team is promoted into. And afaik spanish B teams are little different with training and development control (they have separate stuff for a and b team I think?)

52 minutes ago, herne79 said:

I have no control over the staff, as in I can't fire or sign any staff members. I can't control individual training, even if I set it so in staff responsibilities (sign/fire staff is also assigned to me). I can't control who plays more, who starts matches. I found a tip online that said to move your best youths to B team. Or another one that said to increase the B team's reputation with the editor. Neither worked. These are what I can remember, I have another LLM save now that I play.

I'm not being negative, I enjoyed that save a lot, but I never managed to promote the B team to a playable league and got bored, I wanted to have control over the B team. I have to say that they were not in the next league below the last playable one.

Edited by Vali184

9 hours ago, gunner86 said:

Changes to the ME is kept separate and there will be news and videos much closer to release when they get closer to the ME version that is locked for release.

Miles has said on Twitter that they are still working on it, so it’s very difficult to see how there won’t be changes and/or improvements.

Yeah, I'm just saying that these new features aren't great leaps forward compared to previous releases, so I'm hoping that more has gone into the ME. 

6 hours ago, chuckles1234 said:

Yeah, I'm just saying that these new features aren't great leaps forward compared to previous releases, so I'm hoping that more has gone into the ME. 

They're worked on by different teams, so less of one thing doesn't mean more of the other.

That being said, it doesn't mean we can't hope they've allocated more of their budget to the ME team and got a few more guys in.

Edited by gunner86

To give a real suggestion, the focus is to improve the quality of the picture, change the proportion of players and venues, why so many unreasonable shots, is because too much space leads to too many shooting opportunities in the game, in order not to appear table tennis score.

Force out the golden finger's rescue and shoot into the goalkeeper's body.

Many players want to play the game well, but many pictures feel unreal.

35 minuti fa, rdbayly ha scritto:

Er, pardon?

you know, when the striker shoots at the goalkeeper and the goalie pulls out a a finger rescue. His body explodes but the finger remains almost intact, albeit detached from the rest of the body which, itself, is completely detached with numerous parts slowly settling on the ground.

Edited by MBarbaric

At this point, I fell the need to ask, what big important, amazing features are people expecting to be added to  game that has been running since 2004 (in it's current guise, and a further 22 yeares before that as CM), and is already pretty feature heavy?

il y a 26 minutes, gunner86 a dit :

At this point, I fell the need to ask, what big important, amazing features are people expecting to be added to  game that has been running since 2004 (in it's current guise, and a further 22 yeares before that as CM), and is already pretty feature heavy?

A new ME? 

8 minutes ago, evilpimp972 said:

A new ME? 

The ME is being worked on, and when it's ready, more will be announced. But as people keep pointing out about the Headline Features for this year - that's not a new feature, that's just improving an old one.

This is the curse of every big franchise that has no real competitor. Or just look at FIFA/Pes. Or huge games like Lol/Dota where new features aren't exactly game breaking either. Or the king of shooters csgo where you are lucky that a new game breaking feature is added once every 5 years. 

There's only so much you can do and add to a game about kicking a ball around. 

People need to down their expectations. I do however think that SI can do more, but not "brand new shiny feature" more. Refine what's already there and I don't talk about adding more UI screens that only confuse new players and "features" such as a rule change. 

41 minutes ago, gunner86 said:

You might be getting mixed up here, as the Championship Manager series only began in 1992. It was the original Football Manager that came out in 1982 - 22 years before the current FM era began. :p

Pedantry aside, this is pretty much the same point I've been making for a few years now. SI have spent 25+ years developing a football management simulation which is now SO in-depth that there's very little they haven't added. I doubt we could name many new "big important, amazing features" which would improve Football Manager without turning it into Football Chairman/Insert Other Job Title Here.

12 minutes ago, CFuller said:

You might be getting mixed up here, as the Championship Manager series only began in 1992. It was the original Football Manager that came out in 1982 - 22 years before the current FM era began. :p

Pedantry aside, this is pretty much the same point I've been making for a few years now. SI have spent 25+ years developing a football management simulation which is now SO in-depth that there's very little they haven't added. I doubt we could name many new "big important, amazing features" which would improve Football Manager without turning it into Football Chairman/Insert Other Job Title Here.

I even Googled Championship Manager and indeed got 1992. For someone whose job relies entirely on his maths ability (plus my dashing good looks and boyish charms), that is one massive blunder. I knew there was a 2 in there.

Edited by gunner86

vor 36 Minuten schrieb Double0Seven:

This is the curse of every big franchise that has no real competitor. Or just look at FIFA/Pes. Or huge games like Lol/Dota where new features aren't exactly game breaking either. Or the king of shooters csgo where you are lucky that a new game breaking feature is added once every 5 years. 

There's only so much you can do and add to a game about kicking a ball around. 

People need to down their expectations. I do however think that SI can do more, but not "brand new shiny feature" more. Refine what's already there and I don't talk about adding more UI screens that only confuse new players and "features" such as a rule change. 

What do you think would be a "new game breaking feature"?

The expectations for an annual release are simply too high. "Game breaking" needs development time, which tends to contradict an annual cycle. Personally, it is important to me that the things that are revised and newly introduced are simply done well. Nothing is worse than immature innovations that cause frustration rather than joy.

On 19/09/2019 at 18:49, kandersson said:

As usual, ME is going to be the key.

Of course ME is crucial! A say this every edition. ME is the heart of this game just like real football mostly means watching matches and creating tactics and team bonds.

Lets wait for ME announcment hoping that managers suit is not important feature as its seams.

2 hours ago, Sheriff7 said:

Happy in a sense that anything which makes you look 20 years younger is a positive.

Graphically we live in an FM bubble. It's like we are blind to all other existing technologies. Why the cartoonish hair and background graphics that remind me of the Amiga 500 I owned back in the day? Year on year it gets harder to defend and to forgive IMO.