Football Manager 2020 - Feature Announcement Blogs

8 minutes ago, DMaster2 said:

Will i finally stop seeing my 3rd GK complain he didn't played enough games? Hopefully.

I just hope nothing goes wrong with this new "playing time" thing, i would hate to sign an average 16 years old for my U18 from a lower division side requesting first team play time in a couple of years.

The way I read that feature was when you make the signing, included in contract discussions was the plan with playing time.  So I guess something like U18 side for 1 year, U23 side the 2nd year, the odd cup game 3rd year, some league games 4th year.  Perhaps that's not the best example, as I don't know I'd promise a 16 year old keeper from a lower division first team football in 3 years time.  You wouldn't know how they would develop - but then would a Premier League club sign a 16 year old keeper and tell him he'd be in the first team in 2/3 years?  So, in your example - sign him to a 2 year deal and tell him he'll be in the U18's and I wouldn't see there being a problem.  Now, if you just have to sign him and promise him the world and don't deliver on those promises, I would expect a problem.

I think you'll need a plan for your squad - and I would see the new features in FM20 giving you the tools to create and monitor that plan (including being able to see what players are coming into your U18's before you would in FM19).  If you sign too many players at a certain position with conflicting promises, you'll have problems, but then you'd be expecting that.  It would be the equivalent right now of signing 3 keepers and giving them all "Key Player" status.  In theory I would see the new feature as being a more detailed way of managing players expectations as to playing time, which if managed correctly should mean less unhappy players.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, duesouth said:

The way I read that feature was when you make the signing, included in contract discussions was the plan with playing time.  So I guess something like U18 side for 1 year, U23 side the 2nd year, the odd cup game 3rd year, some league games 4th year.  Perhaps that's not the best example, as I don't know I'd promise a 16 year old keeper from a lower division first team football in 3 years time.  You wouldn't know how they would develop - but then would a Premier League club sign a 16 year old keeper and tell him he'd be in the first team in 2/3 years?  So, in your example - sign him to a 2 year deal and tell him he'll be in the U18's and I wouldn't see there being a problem.  Now, if you just have to sign him and promise him the world and don't deliver on those promises, I would expect a problem.

I think you'll need a plan for your squad - and I would see the new features in FM20 giving you the tools to create and monitor that plan (including being able to see what players are coming into your U18's before you would in FM19).  If you sign too many players at a certain position with conflicting promises, you'll have problems, but then you'd be expecting that.  It would be the equivalent right now of signing 3 keepers and giving them all "Key Player" status.  In theory I would see the new feature as being a more detailed way of managing players expectations as to playing time, which if managed correctly should mean less unhappy players.

What about when you start at a new club?  I suppose realistically a manager would have to have that conversation with every player but from an FM point of view that could be a tad tedious

14 minutes ago, Brother Ben said:

What about when you start at a new club?  I suppose realistically a manager would have to have that conversation with every player but from an FM point of view that could be a tad tedious

You are right, it would be hard work early in a save.  Perhaps just tweak and talk to those you wanted to?  It still might be quite a few players though depending on the squad and how you want to play.

On 21/09/2019 at 16:55, themadsheep2001 said:

SI have have a team that's entirely dedicated to the match engine though. That has its own sole focus. They don't have to choose between the two options. 

Glad to know that. I did not know about this. 

It is then quite shocking that a lot of what I mentioned (tussling between players, GKs rushing off the line, out of the box to clear loose balls, better player AI like time-wasting, positioning, defending...) are still not addressed at this stage. 

How did it even clear the SI team?

Surely these are the most basic stuff that SI should have gotten right by now? It is bread and butter!

5 hours ago, Double0Seven said:

Ive been thinking, but I feel like many features are a bit of fluff and I hope they announce some substantial changes. I thought they would come by now, but Im getting kinda worried. If a rule change is considered a feature, thats kinda meh imo. 

Yeap, get the basics right - modern tactics, players AI, positioning, defending, GK reactions, match graphics, player movement...

Here's some suggestions SI. 

Just release a couple of videos of how for example, gengenpressing is improved: show a short clip of how a small group of players cut off passing lanes and time their challenges to make a tackle where they want it, when they want it. Even to the extent of how their pressing forces an opposing team to pass the ball in a direction they want to. 

Another video of how the GK's AI has improved: Show him doing one-on-ones with a striker, rushing out of the box to clear a loose ball. 

Another video of two players tussling for a ball before the striker unleashes a shot that's blocked by another player. 

Another video of how a team reacts (on the pitch) to a certain formation change.

How about a video of how a team defends in a low block (perfect for those who seek to manage a smaller team)?

I can go and on with the ideas. 

Look SI, just these videos above will rocket your pre-orders and possibly shut down the internet. 

1 hour ago, theballstopshere said:

Glad to know that. I did not know about this. 

It is then quite shocking that a lot of what I mentioned (tussling between players, GKs rushing off the line, out of the box to clear loose balls, better player AI like time-wasting, positioning, defending...) are still not addressed at this stage. 

How did it even clear the SI team?

Surely these are the most basic stuff that SI should have gotten right by now? It is bread and butter!

Because it's actually absolutely nowhere near as simple as you shout about.

There's stuff that needs working on, but stuff like "how did it clear the SI team" and "its bread and butter" is neither helpful or constructive

41 minutes ago, theballstopshere said:

Yeap, get the basics right - modern tactics, players AI, positioning, defending, GK reactions, match graphics, player movement...

Here's some suggestions SI. 

Just release a couple of videos of how for example, gengenpressing is improved: show a short clip of how a small group of players cut off passing lanes and time their challenges to make a tackle where they want it, when they want it. Even to the extent of how their pressing forces an opposing team to pass the ball in a direction they want to. 

Another video of how the GK's AI has improved: Show him doing one-on-ones with a striker, rushing out of the box to clear a loose ball. 

Another video of two players tussling for a ball before the striker unleashes a shot that's blocked by another player. 

Another video of how a team reacts (on the pitch) to a certain formation change.

How about a video of how a team defends in a low block (perfect for those who seek to manage a smaller team)?

I can go and on with the ideas. 

Look SI, just these videos above will rocket your pre-orders and possibly shut down the internet. 

They do Match Engine videos every year, at the same time, ie closer to release date when they do their ME section. With the greatest of respect it seems to work for their pre-orders, they aren't going to change that because someone on a forum yells at them

3 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

I did not say it's simple. I said it's basic. Read again. 

You cannot argue that what i mentioned is not the basic of a football simulation game. 

Of course it's not simple. But it's on them to crack it. After all, people are paying good money for what's touted to be a football simulation game that's close to real life? 

And it's been what, 20 years?

6 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

They do Match Engine videos every year, at the same time, ie closer to release date when they do their ME section. With the greatest of respect it seems to work for their pre-orders

Well good for them. Though I am sure that being the only game developer for such games help a lot.

I am also sure there are still many fans who do not know better about the critical flaws of the game. 

I for one will be looking at this year's videos before I make my order. 

11 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

There's stuff that needs working on, but stuff like "how did it clear the SI team" and "its bread and butter" is neither helpful or constructive

No need for nitpicking or to get defensive. I also gave loads of ideas about how to improve the game, in the preceding post and my other posts. 

And what I said is a fact. Those features are 'bread and butter' of a football simulation game, no denying that.  

Which makes one wonder, how did a football simulation game get cleared to be released with so much of the basic stuff missing?

It is a genuine and legit question. 

1 minute ago, theballstopshere said:

No need for nitpicking or to get defensive. I also gave loads of ideas about how to improve the game, in the preceding post and my other posts. 

And what I said is a fact. Those features are 'bread and butter' of a football simulation game, no denying that.  

Which makes one wonder, how did a football simulation game get cleared to be released with so much of the basic stuff missing?

It is a genuine and legit question. 

Because what you call "basic" is actually incredibly difficult to make. A full collision detection system is something they have been working on for about 4 years. Please don't confuse defensive for stating accuracy. 

Of course its on them to crack it, but Joe Bloggs on shouting "its basic" is neither helpful or accurate tbf

vor 10 Minuten schrieb theballstopshere:

I did not say it's simple. I said it's basic. Read again. 

You cannot argue that what i mentioned is not the basic of a football simulation game. 

Of course it's not simple. But it's on them to crack it. After all, people are paying good money for what's touted to be a football simulation game that's close to real life? 

And it's been what, 20 years?

Simple solution for a costumer: Do not buy it once again as long as you are not happy with the product. Try the demo in November and make your decision. SI owes you nothing.

vor 3 Minuten schrieb themadsheep2001:

Because what you call "basic" is actually incredibly difficult to make. A full collision detection system is something they have been working on for about 4 years. Please don't confuse defensive for stating accuracy. 

Of course its on them to crack it, but Joe Bloggs on shouting "its basic" is neither helpful or accurate tbf

Insider information?

2 minutes ago, leviathan1904 said:

Simple solution for a costumer: Do not buy it once again as long as you are not happy with the product. Try the demo in November and make your decision. SI owes you nothing.

Precisely. i said it earlier. I am not buying it till i see the videos. 

Did I say SI owe me anything?

Pray tell. 

I gave a few suggestions on improving the game in one of the posts here, but also in my other posts. 

And I am getting comments like:

'You can choose not to buy it if you are not happy'

'Stop shouting' - when i did not. Please point to me where I was shouting. 

'It's not as easy as you think' - when I did not even say it is easy.

How is this not defensive?

If a collision detection system is not easy and will need more time (which I can understand), what about loads of things I suggested like GK's AI, clearing loose balls, reacting to second balls... and other stuff I suggested?

No mention of it all, or add-ons to my suggestions. Just nitpicking on one or two things i said, and a single exclamation point that I used. And keep going on and on about me shouting.

And what are they saying about not being constructive?

lol 

Also, if you were to notice there are a fair few who gave negative feedback on the new features without being 'constructive'. 

I gave suggestions, or at least I always try. 

Edited by theballstopshere

We all would love a perfect FM.

There are features the somebody would love and somebody would hate (like PA- e.g. i would love see SI cancell It)

There are features very hard to make (a balance between a perfect AI and the joy to play) or that take a lot of time ti develop

There are features that SI cannot make at the same time 'cause they have to sell every year, it's business after all.

For first I am not very happy about this year features.

But we all have to keep in mind that a near perfect simulation would cost us a lot more of the actual price. 

Think about the cost of pro-soft that not all have FM's complexity.

51 minutes ago, leviathan1904 said:

Yep, I say it every year, if the ME is your thing, wait till the demo. Playing it is the only way to know if that's for you. There's little point coming to the headline features early on and then complaining about the ME. It's not getting showcased there and even the video later on won't showcase it all (I personally still think it needs an even bigger section when they do it)

So far I like the things SI have announced for FM20. The only thing that bothers me, is that they announce things as "new features" whilst it's just a redesigned page with things that are already in the game put together. Which is basically updating and not a new feature and thus can be done in a patch for FM19. And I feel like I'm not the only one thinking like this. Hope this'll change in the coming days/weeks and not see a continued trend in just updated pages.

Anyway, I'm always excited for a new FM and will defo be playing way too much.

The changes this season are pretty toned down compared to last year with the training but i dont have a problem with it. Often the year after a big change delivered the best FM for a couple of years and all the changes that have been announced sound good. Of course i'd wish for something a bit more radical: If there is a change to staff, then why not make staff members much more prominent personalities that strongly affect the way your team plays or your players develop, as opposed to reducing it to attribute min/maxing + personality, which is essentially all that a staff member is for us. A lot of these things would be nice to have, though i understand that the immense complexity of the database is binding the hands of the developers of how much can be processed and handled.

I would definitely like if SI made the somewhat unpopular decision to advance their systems with the negative trade off that a lot of older systems wouldnt be able to join. Especially now with the new influx of german players one could possibly risk such a move and increase the demand on hardware. But that's just me, it is an entertainment product after all and casting out a large amount of players for the sake of a better game for a minority isnt a financially sensitive decision to make.

What i hope about is that squad management becomes a bit more realistic, personality-driven and thus demanding. Heavy Rotation with a squad that has 2 decent players for every position is the way to go and relatively easy to establish but its often not realistic as Cristiano Ronaldo would make a big drama if he didn't start in 90% of the games, same goes for players like Lewandowski, Reus, etc. etc. - all the "star players" essentially. The new concept of playing time and squad roles hopefully aims in just that direction and makes it much harder to rotate star players out of the squad unless if communicated and for unimportant fixtures.

Another thing that is dearly hoped for on my end, is that exhaustion and stamina and thus adaption of intensity during the game become much more dynamic and relevant. If i press heavily it should have visible and quantifiable effects during the match, which is not the case. Sure, it is a good decision to take out tempo of the game when you press high, at the end of the game, but statistically and from the info of my players stamina it doesnt seem to be important at all. There are very little differences in kilometers between teams and big differences in stamina also are always a case of lack of rotation in one of the teams and rarely develop during matches. In my experience as a football watcher stamina, teams running out of energy, seems often to be the decisive factors in matches, particularly in those where a big team plays against a small team, as the better team is much more efficient with posession and passing play and forces the opponent into a lot of sprints and heavy movement, even during somewhat equal games this minor difference in quality of ball retention often leads to the better team edging out the opponent as the game progresses. This is present, if at all, only intuitively, and during my last save with Bilbao in which i won the double in the 2nd and the treble in the 3rd season, i never went down from extremely high intensity.

I hope this will be adressed in FM20. Other than that i'm optimistic. I still wish there was a paradox-like dev diary system in place where developers explain in detail and in exchange with the community the changes made to the game, but so far SI hasnt disappointed. It remains one of the most complex games on the whole games market, rivalling strategy games like Combat Zones. And if you ask me the Match Engine has become better with every single year - though it is true from my perspective that the increased difficulty of the game (due to higher realism) has led to certain tactical systems and formations being much more dominant than others and that translation of tactical settings to the pitch often feels very arbitrary. It never is, but it feels that way. And while a 4-4-2 if one gets the basics will always work, other more unusual formations take months of luck, patience and analysis to figure out, even though managers like Guardiola or at the moment in spectactular fashion in Germany Nagelsmann show that there is absolutely no hierarchy in terms of quality in regards to formations.

That got a bit long :P

i don't think there are any other big features/additions because otherwise they'd announce those first.

if so (and i hope i'm wrong), this is the first time i'm skipping FM since FM08. the new "features" aren't worth it. they're old features just with new names, new UI locations, and new colors.

hopefully FM21 will be a lot better. i feel like this version is so underwhelming because maybe they were focused with all the stadia stuff. thankfully there are still ppl updating FM19 database so i can continue playing that until FM21.

Edited by Artin

11 hours ago, Nikopol said:

Especially now with the new influx of german players

Would be interesting to know how big that influx was. Except for directly after release, I never saw the game climbing any sales Charts -- and the only German speaking FM community around likewise didn't grow much stronger. Going by their numbers, their biggest growth actually dates back to 2014ish, back when EA canned Fussball Manager. Whilst I think that SI had grown in Germany, it is also fair to assume that they're yet nowhere near where Anstoss/Bundesliga Manager/Fussball Manager were at their Peak -- which is selling ~200k units per annum.

As of Features: Probably "good news" for anybody wishing for more "chairman" Kind of activities in the game should SI make the German markets one of their next top priorities -- all of the aforementioned games had incorporated those, and management games popular in Germany had all been of that ilk in general. :D 

Edited by Svenc

8 hours ago, Artin said:

i don't think there are any other big features/additions because otherwise they'd announce those first.

if so (and i hope i'm wrong), this is the first time i'm skipping FM since FM08. the new "features" aren't worth it. they're old features just with new names, new UI locations, and new colors.

hopefully FM21 will be a lot better. i feel like this version is so underwhelming because maybe they were focused with all the stadia stuff. thankfully there are still ppl updating FM19 database so i can continue playing that until FM21.

If only there was a free demo upon which to base your opinion?

29 minutes ago, Johnny Ace said:

Only just noticed we can have the ass man make tactical changes from the sideline, not totally sure what changes exactly but that doesn't sound a good thing 

Depends. Ass man improvements on all fronts (not merely tactical) are one of the keys in Terms of Long-term AI development, if you ask me. As well as balancing the game towards the Broad/er Kind of audience it inevitably Targets.

In actual Football, when Rijkaard admitted that tactics weren't his forte he could Always turn to ten Cate -- just as how Klinsmann could refer to Löw, etc. At the Moment the game arguably is too limited though on that. Clicking Holiday and being successful with the Right ass man in place, as is the Status quo of the game, btw. just feels Pretty hollow. Therefore, you'd Need AI capable of pulling of "intelligent" match plans/strategies (to be optionally selected by the Player), in-match decisions (go for the 2-0 or protect what we have), as well as implementing "playing styles" as well. All of this would Long-term Need improved AI in gneral (so win-win for everyone -- excecpt those that would be stubborn to admit they may be a Rijkaard as opposed to say a Guardiola).

As argued, this applies to all Areas of the game. "The game has become too busy" this, "I want do get more invested into Training" that. SI have the perfect Job template in what they are simulating -- they just have to embrace it. I suspect  that traditional gaming media would react the worst to it. Whilst it may be a realistic Simulation of Football Management, and actual Manager may REALLY deleagate a load of stuff -- "What's the Point of playing if I can assign 50% of the Gameplay to assistants and still come out successful?" they would ask. :D

Edited by Svenc

1 hour ago, Johnny Ace said:

Only just noticed we can have the ass man make tactical changes from the sideline, not totally sure what changes exactly but that doesn't sound a good thing 

Its actually something I, likely among others, asked for a long while back.

I presume it would purely be an option i.e. if you just want to be Alex Ferguson, with Mike Phelan doing all the touchline / managing the game stuff.

But if you want to do things yourself, that would likely be the default.

19 minutes ago, Lord Rowell said:

Its actually something I, likely among others, asked for a long while back.

I presume it would purely be an option i.e. if you just want to be Alex Ferguson, with Mike Phelan doing all the touchline / managing the game stuff.

But if you want to do things yourself, that would likely be the default.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I can see how it could be helpful to non-forum type players as @Svenc mentions & helps bring more realism to the game but the ass man's advice really needs to be improved. I mentioned on the feedback thread for FM19 yesterday, the advice he offers is useless, he doesn't know our system, if I'm playing a direct game & have 49% possession, he'll recommend shorter passing when that could totally go against your system. He'll say to man mark a midfielder because he's scored a once in a lifetime 35 yarder & you're 4-1 up, why? Why would I change it? If you applied all of his logic, your tactic would be a complete mess by the end of the game. Those sort of things have been why the ass man's feedback has been ignored & ridiculed for years

If I can sit down with him & say"Right dude, this is how we're playing, possession doesn't matter we play direct. I don't want to focus on the opposition individually, we mark zonally" then that would be great. Then if we're then leading a game he might suggest, dropping down a mentality, slowing down tempo, shorten passing, dribble less to hang on to the lead & see out the game, then that sort of advice would be useful. 

Then again, this could all be totally different for FM20 & it's had some sort of ass man revamp :D *fingers crossed 

53 minutes ago, Johnny Ace said:

If I can sit down with him & say"Right dude, this is how we're playing, possession doesn't matter we play direct. I don't want to focus on the opposition individually, we mark zonally" then that would be great.

I agree, it would be great to have a tactical meeting with your assman where you tell him your tactics and how you want to play, and he then suggests tweaks perhaps one-at-a-time rather than the three separate suggestions  you get in your inbox; that way his tactical plan makes more sense and would be moving towards a cohesive system rather than blindly making changes because he says "would give us a better chance of a result" or whatever. You could show him the tactic you've created and the lineup to go with it, he could show you his preferred tactic and lineup instead (complete with team, player, opposition instructions) and you could even adopt that as your secondary or tertiary tactic for a plan B.

I haven't used the "match plans" system which automatically makes in-match changes for certain scenarios, but  your mention of assman suggestions for seeing out a game would work perfectly with that feature if it isn't already how it works

33 minutes ago, autohoratio said:

I agree, it would be great to have a tactical meeting with your assman where you tell him your tactics and how you want to play, and he then suggests tweaks perhaps one-at-a-time rather than the three separate suggestions  you get in your inbox; that way his tactical plan makes more sense and would be moving towards a cohesive system rather than blindly making changes because he says "would give us a better chance of a result" or whatever. You could show him the tactic you've created and the lineup to go with it, he could show you his preferred tactic and lineup instead (complete with team, player, opposition instructions) and you could even adopt that as your secondary or tertiary tactic for a plan B.

I haven't used the "match plans" system which automatically makes in-match changes for certain scenarios, but  your mention of assman suggestions for seeing out a game would work perfectly with that feature if it isn't already how it works

Exactly! Just some basic, intelligent feedback rather than suggestions based off of statistics. I like the idea of the ass man coming up with a tactic for you to ponder over, he might suggest roles that play to certain style, going direct, a Target man might be a useful role rather than, we're away from home, I suggest a cautious mentality, again, why? We're favorites to win

Oh yeah, the match plan things, I've never looked at them   

Edited by Johnny Ace

2 hours ago, GOODNAME said:

This changes gives me nothing.. i just want better ME lol..

Judging from the reply I got it seems like ME, players AI, players tussling, positioning, GK AI, rebounds, rushing off the goal-line, realistic tactics... will take a long time to get right. 

One of the mod actually said that the collision detection system has been in the works for four years. 

I give them the benefit of doubt but I am sure that if there is a good competitor out there, SI would be a lot faster in implementing these basic and crucial stuff that is part and parcel of a football simulation game. 

Title of this post : Addiction

Even though I know I have it, I try to deny every freakin year but it is official. 
I am addicted to this game.  

When they put the game on sale, I said "this is absurd ! how can they do that before even announcing anything !?"
Then I was so damn clear & said "no purchase until something interesting comes out"
After that I saw the announcement which I am absolutely not happy about. Only the player development section barely stirred something inside
Anyway, later on yesterday I bought the game again  all of a sudden after all the whining about the announcement and the disappointment with last year's ME.

I am a lost case. What is wrong with me !

18 minutos atrás, enricoix disse:

Even though I know I have it, I try to deny every freakin year but it is official. 

When they put the game on sale, I said "this is absurd ! how can they do that before even announcing anything !?"
Then I was so damn clear & said "no purchase until something interesting comes out"
After that I saw the announcement which I am absolutely not happy about. Only the player development section barely stirred something inside
Anyway, later on yesterday I bought the game again  all of a sudden after all the whining about the announcement and the disappointment with last year's ME.

I feel similar. Pre-ordered today, but mainly because I really really enjoy FM19 (not denying it has it's problems) and even an upgrade on FM19 it's worth my money, specially counting all the hours I spend playing each version and that this is basically the only game I ever play. It's worth the price for me.

30 minutes ago, enricoix said:

Actually it is good for SI that there are die hard fans like you who will still buy the game even though it is not spectacular. Also good for fans like me as you guys keep the company going. I scrutinize the game very closely before buying. lol  

I am critical about the game (as I really want it to be the football simulation game it touts itself to be) even though this is the only game I play.

I just hope that die hard fans like you don't inadvertently lull SI into complacency, which is somewhat a feeling I am getting from them, with the slow progress made in ME and other basic stuff of the game. 

Excited for FM20 to come out. I like the headline features.
If implemented correctly it could change the way i play the game significantly.

My biggest hope, though, is that they have fixed the everlasting issues with custom views.
They have been wonky for way too many years now.

4 minutes ago, roykela said:

Excited for FM20 to come out. I like the headline features.
If implemented correctly it could change the way i play the game significantly.

My biggest hope, though, is that they have fixed the everlasting issues with custom views.
They have been wonky for way too many years now.

Feel your pain on custom views. Never quite sits right. 

Not usually one for headline features, but these feel like big quality of life improvements for me and that's the kind of feature I like.