Football Manager 2019 Pre Release Beta *Official* Feedback Thread

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As promised my thoughts after preseason almost 30 hours in game and just completed 8 preseason games.

Full disclosure - first transfer window off, all leagues+divs most background loaded, player database 122000+, almost everything from transfer centre to my inbox.

Tactics 3 fully interchangible sets 1*4122w1 VTT, 1*4122w1 TT, 1*4231 Cautious (can pull the midfield triangle back for a 42dm12w1) Lot of time sorting all set pieces. Comprehensive highlights sideline cam

Right to clarify my first comments about the white, it's only when its an almost full screen that its overpowering, when lots of info, or a panel on top it fine.

Good preseason won 7/8 only lost to my affiliate 2-0 but the were mid way through season and surpassing expectations in chile, so was ok, managed to upset 1 player when I shouted at them in Team talk, Love It

So from watching the matches and reading in here my summary is I wish I had the problems of too many cross assist, I have some not enough for my liking but Everton have a lower than average crossing rating, so my team and player instructions reflect this lots of channel runs short passes and my players are doing it on the pitch, so well, I'm already hurling abuse at the monitor when it doesn't work which is a good sign.

Not had lots of injuries or penalties so don't know how others have (hard tackling!!!) EDIT did lose seamus for 2months (to be expected:lol:)

Had some joy with set pieces, yet to hit the back of the net direct, but scored from headers and knockdowns from both corners and free-kicks, only conceded 1 from set plays, for me that's good in 8 games.

It's delightful to watch a match because I can see the players trying to implement what I want. And they will learn my way or out.

Thanks for the best beta ever, and bet miles is happy at the minute#WFC

EDIT forgot to say many little things are amazing, kepp finding more+more

Edited by toffee71

21 hours ago, martplfc1 said:

So, can anyone tell me if the following has been addressed:

Are interactions still formulaic and repetitive?

Do teams from League 2 still pass it about like Barca?

Does the ME show players beating others with skill, or just knock it past and run?

Does the AM's advice bear any resemblance to what you are trying to achieve? (I.e. if I want to play 442, does the AM still try to impose his favoured formation?)

Does the AI still offer pathetically low for your best players?

Is it materially any better than 18?

It's slightly better than 18 in various ways, but interactions are a little tedious and repetitive, (not as much this year) also they offer pathetically low offers for your players (transfer listed a player who was worth 9m, for 6m, 3 teams offered just under 1m for him i mean come on)

Also, something that could be for improvement is reworking the Match Player Form Reactions, so that they aren't constantly using 'No strong opinions/views', but probably for 2020, but it gets annoying when the players don't appear to care much about the players, even if they've been there years (not years in save, but years irl)

This was also like this in 2018.

Edited by xray1324

Through ten matches with three different tactics - 4-4-2 Diamond , 4-2-3-1 wide, 5-3-2 - I've had one match with more than 20% of my attacks coming through the middle.  Those formations are a combination of balanced mentality and defensive mentality with a mixture of attack, support and defend duties in the wide positions.  I've watched three matches now in Full Match mode and can't emphasize enough how much space my fullbacks are always in, even in situations like 4-4-2 Diamond against 4-1-4-1 or 4-3-3 or 5-2-3.  Despite something like 85% of my attacks coming down the left or right, I'm a bit annoyed that my midfielders aren't pushing the ball out wide more often, such is the amount of space out there.

Those ten matches and three formations are across two different clubs, as well. 

Edited by Sunstrikuuu

5 minutes ago, priority76 said:

Can you no longer have private chats with your players when you want? You used to be able to right click their name and have this option to praise/criticise whatever but now it appears to have gone.  Or is their another way to do it now? 

Capture.PNG

Any chance the player is unsettled / unhappy with you? 

A bit surprised that gegen-pressing style doesn't suggest a 4-4-2 a la RB Leipzig or Roger Schmidt's Salzburg/Leverkusen amongst default tactics for that style, I thought that would be a typical example. Enjoying watching my team trying to gegenpress though, the PF's in particular are a great addition!

I'm trying to goo deeper with training and some of the new features look pretty cool like the option to set intensity depending on player's condition and the new mentoring system. Schedules: I think I'm going to leave them to AM full time because receiving news and mails about new/modified schedules multiple times every week tends to slow the game too much for my tastes, so go AM and don't screw it up!

23 minutes ago, Sunshinelufc said:

Anyone else hitting the woodwork a lot? My team hit it 1-3 times each match.

On another note Leeds are overpowered this season. 

I would probably say Cooper, Pearce, Alioski, Saiz, Harrison, and Roofe have some attribute ratings higher than they should be.

DoF absolute quality in game tried to get him myself, £1.5m comp, but as I had tw off couldn't get, so found another diamond Dof.

Can someone comment on squad selection for tactics. It shows all team in the list not only first team players but also u23 u18 and loanies out. It is crazy to scroll and find the correct ones.

Leeds v Stoke_ Leeds Team Selection Overview.png

Edited by saihtam

• Administrators
5 minutes ago, bradjsmith said:

injuries injuries injuries so so many!!! and the dreaded do i make a 3rd sub is back as if you do you will be down to 10 men. 2 inuries per game is a bit silly

• Administrators
1 minute ago, saihtam said:

Noooo, i wont restart my game, too addicted already

You don't have to. You only need to restart if you're playing in Turkey or Finland and you want the relevant league specific fix to take effect. 

Just now, Neil Brock said:

You don't have to. You only need to restart if you're playing in Turkey or Finland and you want the relevant league specific fix to take effect. 

Understand, tried to make a lame ass joke :)

This is the most polished release SI have ever released. Kudos. 

My only points of concern:

- Regen Faces: They're really really bad. Not sure why they've gone downhill since FM16, i believe it's something to do with 2D/3D mapping, but they are really bad. Luckily, this isn't anything like a game-breaking feature. They can be turned off

- Transfer Activity: I'm seeing much better decision making from the AI in terms of buying young/good players which is great. But I find it too easy as a human manager to sign whoever I want. I started a save with Arsenal and after sending a few scouts out I was told Harry Kane, De Gea, Joe Gomez, Trent AA, Varane, Ascenio, Veratti, Isco etc... Were all interested in signing. I don't think that reflects reality as several of those players would have no interest in joining Arsenal whilst in the Europa League and if you factor the in the inexperienced new manager, those players should run a mile.

- Real Life Dominance: Messi and Ronaldo never get the numbers on FM that they do in real life and Man City seem woefully underrated for the second year in a row.

22 hours ago, harrycarrie said:

I've noticed 424 ultra press/ultra attack is still insanely good. I know its United but I'm unbeaten all season, three draws across all competitions (one of those draws was a penalty loss to Bournemouth in the League Cup with my back up team). Pressing Forward is an awesome new role:

ef74a4bc6dbf71d59c4a43320f30e6ba.png
https://gyazo.com/ef74a4bc6dbf71d59c4a43320f30e6ba

This is bad that the unrealistic tactic got so many points and also that City were relatively useless compared to deal life.

have you got the final table?

11 minutes ago, dannysheard said:

This is bad that the unrealistic tactic got so many points and also that City were relatively useless compared to deal life.

have you got the final table?

Just about to finish, table isn't going to change much. Got a few defeats as the injuries inevitably piled up (currently have Sanchez, Lingard, Martial and Lukaku out for 3-5 weeks lol):

781a24b46898a8cb7021cc5a1550e265.png

City's form really picked up and the gap was 4 points at one point. Us, Spurs, Juve and Inter in CL semi finals, Inter seem very OP.

Edited by harrycarrie

10 hours ago, Mensell76 said:

I actually played and watcg matches against City in this save. City scores corners and that is it. No tempo in passing, a very static side, no pressing.

I am afraid AI opponents are again poor. I really hope SI would have spend a lot of time creating fantastic AI teams and coaches that have supertactics.  AI teams do not seem to play sexy football. This for me is the biggest let down since fm2018. There is no real challenge in managing a top club.

Yes you will lose matches but hardly ever due to an opponent outplaying you, no matter how good that team is supposed to play, but since there is no consistency in their results the human manager just needs to make sure to collect between 85-90 points and le voila: title

I would upvote this ten times if I could. From what I've seen so far, it feels (again) like a half decent manager within any top 6 side should win the league EVERY season.

6 minutes ago, dannysheard said:

I would upvote this ten times if I could. From what I've seen so far, it feels (again) like a half decent manager within any top 6 side should win the league EVERY season.

That might be true in England, but I just watched Juventus amass 103 points in the first full season.

7 hours ago, CFuller said:

Liverpool also won the league in the holiday save I ran before starting my first career. Meanwhile, Man City finished 4th and sacked Guardiola. I don't think either of those scenarios are too far-fetched, though Pep losing his job perhaps seems a tad harsh.

City got 100 points last year.

2 minutes ago, dannysheard said:

City got 100 points last year.

And they got 93 in my save. Sometimes there's variation, ain't no thing. The top six squads in the Prem are all of a very high level, only way to have City completely and utterly dominating is to make every single player world class and Guardiola with perfect attributes.

Edited by harrycarrie

First the qualifier; I'm generally happy that this is an improvement on last year thus far. Lots of good stuff.

Now the gripe. Well, two of them, actually.

The 4-3-3 Narrow is a) too widely used to chase a game, and b) still looks to be too powerful because the 2CBs can't resist being pulled out of their shape by the forwards' mere presence.

I'm disappointed to see that crosses and clearances (or long balls over the top) are still the two most common ways of scoring. I can kind of accept the former, but the latter feels like there's very little I can do; on a few occasions in every game, the opposition CB is going to punt one over the top of my defence, and my CBs will watch it sail over their heads. And vice versa of course. It feels like this happens regardless of how the teams are set up. As someone who watches too much football, it doesn't pass the realism 'sniff test' for me. Long balls over the top generally come from central midfield, and I could accept that. But it's a hell of a good ball to drop a straight ball in between CB and GK in professional football, even then, the forwards tend not to be so far in the clear that the defenders can't recover. Long balls from defenders are typically played with the intention of the forward holding it up or flicking it on. Or, they are played into the channels when the FBs have pushed on.

To try to keep this constructive, I'd like to see:

- Long passing coming predominantly from central midfield.

- Through balls to be just that, played from more advanced positions, and along the floor.

- Slower build up to be more pronounced for possession-based teams.

- Less accuracy on long punts upfield, or CBs better able to judge/deal with the long ball.

FM19 Feedback? Right, after 3 solid days playing it (main game and Classic mode), here are my thoughts. 

Let;s start a bit leftfiield with FM18 - It was the first game in the whole series I felt went backwards, and before all the announcements for this one, I'm not going to lie, I was concerned. 

I needn't have been. This game is FANTASTIC. 

The improvements have ALL been in the areas I wanted - User interface, scouting, and tactics. It's almost as if they only listened to me. (Oh, and training for those that like that). 

To me this year, other than the changes above, it's the little things that have improved the game tenfold from the mess that was last year's game. The dividers on the squad screens, the scout reports in your inbox, telling you what numbered goal a player has scored as opposed to only telling you this after a penalty, being able to reorganise and right-click the menu bar, the moving dots on the pre-set tactics screen, the way it looks like proper swapping of positions when you drag one player over to another, the club shirts in the dressing room on the intro screen, the new skin, the new skin on FMC fitting it perfectly, the calendar being divided by months, the new ball physics in the match engine,  etc etc etc

It's only a few days into the beta, and  a couple of annoying bugs aside, this game is as perfect as an edition of the game has ever been at this stage. 

Fabolous work SI, you've knocked it out the park this year, 

The last few games I have been in I have went to adjust my mentality and after changing, after a few minutes it shows up "changing back to "tactic name that i started with"

I have also just had it automatically change my mentality from my normal positive to balanced without me touching anything. No plans set up etc

Whats the deal?

*edit - its made 2 subs for me as well while I wasnt looking haha. WTF

Edited by CelticCelticCeltic