Man U are too op and it's ruining the game!

So in my fifth season with arsenal man utd have won the treble after having already won the quadruple and sextuple in my save. They have now won the premier league for the fourth time in five seasons1426061371_MarkSturge_Inbox.thumb.png.fedf045bbfacd54a3132de1cbbb341e7.png

What really annoys me however is the way the have won the league title as it is virtually impossible for any manager to compete with their results and points tally. They achieved 101 points with a game to spare, whilstt my arsenal side have got 93 points with 2 games to spare.  Their league form is ridiculous and honestly a joke:

505677308_PremierLeague_OverviewProfile.thumb.png.d12ec559b3f7554bbfc019a0abb1d097.png

154284964_ManchesterUnited_ScheduleSeniorSquad.thumb.png.a4bc4cd380820f567bc8e5f3f2dd3c87.png

As you can see they have won every single league game since October and the only reason they didn't win the champions league is because I stopped them.

SI you need to make Man U and mourinho in particular less OP in FM 19 

Forgot to mention they’ve only conceded 12 times in the league with their ridiculous goal difference of 85. My job stability has now gone down from very secure to stable because apparently I wasn’t a title contender 

I mean...Sometimes teams play really well? PSG were so good first couple of seasons in my most recent Lyon save there was no point trying to catch them, so the second I knew I couldn't I focussed on bringing through youth. Then one season they finished sub-100 points and I got ahead. OP or just a reflection of where they are at compared to the rest of their league?

I think in OP's case, like in that thread suggesting Mourinho is OP, its simply that the game is showing United's squad should be doing a lot better in real life (although perhaps they have a vastly different squad given Mbappe is at Arsenal there).

Also in that season Chelsea and Liverpool have been dreadful as well, just looks like a weird season.

It's more to do with Mourinho being OP rather than United themselves (or the players). His tactical style just works in FM18, rather annoyingly. 

I did a quick experiment recently where I swapped Mourinho and Guardiola; José won 5 league titles out of 5 with Man City (and I mean waltzed to each title), whereas Pep continued to under-achieve.

@_mxrky it's more a case of Mourinho being OP in FM18's ME than it is Man United, as @..Valhalla.. stated above, he ran a sim with José at City and Pep at United and the tables were turned. 

The current ME works perfectly to Mourinho's tactics which shows him as being OP whereas it's really just a case of the ME working that way. When FM19 is released, they'll be a new ME and who knows, maybe Pep or Emery or Klopp's tactics will come out on top.

If you're interested, the thread where this was discussed can be read here

You think Mourinho is overpowered, try dealing with them once they have had a tycoon takeover :( - They got a Tycoon owner five years ago in my game and have won the title for the last four seasons, won both the League and FA Cups twice and the Champions League once (English sides have been surprisingly poor in the Champions League in my game, with City being the only other winners last season) and they did all that with Brendan Rodgers in charge before he left for Barcelona and Ancelotti took over last season.

Mourinho only lasted two seasons in my game winning the title in the first season before they finished fourth and he got sacked and was replaced by Zidane who did nothing for two seasons before he got sacked and rather weirdly the Utd job was their last job before they both retired fairly young. (Though these seasons weren't in full detail which seems to negate the Mourinho affect somewhat).

Mourinho has just been sacked in my current game, early February 2023 :brock: 
He lasted so long but this season it has all gone downhill (and I'm gonna throw it out there and blame his dreadful approach to transfers; established stars, never develops youth, barely any home grown players).

Last 15 games: W5 D7 L6, currently 9th in the League with 25 games played and waaaay off the pace. Every defeat was 1-0 as well, and loads of 0-0 draws... I've been loving it :D  

You'll note that Pep's tactics are successful at Man City and Man City struggle. In another post one person swapped managers and Mourinho did well at Man City

I'm hoping the ME for FM19 has been tweaked

I don't think Mouninho is OP... I agree more on the line of thought that Guardiola's style (any manager who plays that way) is under powered. I would expect Man Utd and Man City to do very well with their starting squads, budget, rep.

Utd posting 80-100 pts is fine by me, far more so than City posting 60-80 pts.

As for the OP, if you aren't winning leagues with Arsenal (who are definitely OP for a human user) you need to rethink your tactics. Auba for the first 5 seasons should be unplayable. Xhaka for some reason is the best DLP/HB on the game...Ozil, Ramsey, Bellerin all pretty good and you have something like 80m budget to start with to address LB/CB or just go all out on a star winger or CM.

British clubs in general are OP as **** in this game. In as little as 4-5 seasons the Premiere League is back on top of the coefficients table and other than Barcelona, PSG and Real Madrid no one is a serious contender for English teams in continental competitions. 

This issue has been present for YEARS and I highly doubt it will ever be solved. 

1 hour ago, MrPompey said:

You'll note that Pep's tactics are successful at Man City and Man City struggle. In another post one person swapped managers and Mourinho did well at Man City

I'm hoping the ME for FM19 has been tweaked

That was me. Mourinho destroyed the league as Man City manager, 5 titles on the trot without breaking sweat.

44 minutes ago, grasu said:

British clubs in general are OP as **** in this game. In as little as 4-5 seasons the Premiere League is back on top of the coefficients table and other than Barcelona, PSG and Real Madrid no one is a serious contender for English teams in continental competitions. 

This issue has been present for YEARS and I highly doubt it will ever be solved. 

This actually depends on what country you play in and have loaded up. I found that active leagues quite often performs better than inactive ones. If you mostly play in England, then what you claim is correct. But if you play in Spain without the English league loaded up, then I quite rarely see them top Spain as the highest coefficient league.

Them and Man City are the two dominant clubs in my save - City just edge it though (including winning 4 FA cups in a row) and I have beaten them twice in consecutive League Cup finals to at least deny some silverware coming to Manchester.

They are much less dominant in Europe though, despite the 2025 CL final being between both teams! 

2 minutes ago, Wells said:

Yup, I think SI are too biased with Utd.. Winning 75/100 is totally unrealistic.

I honestly don't think it's bias-related. It's more to do with Mourinho's tactics being so successful, and even that is just a quirk of FM18's ME. I can safely bet it wasn't intentional, and anyway most of the high-ranking SI staff support Watford, Newcastle, Everton... if there was any kind of bias those teams would surely be "overrated".

I did swap José with Pep, and with City Mourinho totally dominated. It's his bloody tactics :D 

1 minute ago, Wells said:

Yup, I think SI are too biased with Utd.. Winning 75/100 is totally unrealistic.

interesting... how would they reduce the number of title wins? i'm going to assume it's because of the reputation, stadium and finances etc?

1 minute ago, ..Valhalla.. said:

I honestly don't think it's bias-related. It's more to do with Mourinho's tactics being so successful, and even that is just a quirk of FM18's ME. I can safely bet it wasn't intentional, and anyway most of the high-ranking SI staff support Watford, Newcastle, Everton... if there was any kind of bias those teams would surely be "overrated".

I did swap José with Pep, and with City Mourinho totally dominated. It's his bloody tactics :D 

but why would mourinhos tactics make them win 75/100? he probably retires after 10-15 seasons? thats if hes even still at united?

1 minute ago, MagicHat said:

but why would mourinhos tactics make them win 75/100? he probably retires after 10-15 seasons? thats if hes even still at united?

The guy ran the season over and over, from the start each time once the league was finished. 

2 minutes ago, ..Valhalla.. said:

The guy ran the season over and over, from the start each time once the league was finished. 

ah right, i thought he just simulated 100 years. On my current game United did indeed win the PL in the first season, Mourinho resigned in 2020 though after finished 3rd but winning the fa cup.

22 hours ago, westy8chimp said:

I don't think Mouninho is OP... I agree more on the line of thought that Guardiola's style (any manager who plays that way) is under powered. I would expect Man Utd and Man City to do very well with their starting squads, budget, rep.

Utd posting 80-100 pts is fine by me, far more so than City posting 60-80 pts.

As for the OP, if you aren't winning leagues with Arsenal (who are definitely OP for a human user) you need to rethink your tactics. Auba for the first 5 seasons should be unplayable. Xhaka for some reason is the best DLP/HB on the game...Ozil, Ramsey, Bellerin all pretty good and you have something like 80m budget to start with to address LB/CB or just go all out on a star winger or CM.

I got 99 points so i’m Not sure it’s my tactics. I also won the champions league.

If it's any consolation to anyone here, in 2023/24 in my save they have started with 1 win and 4 defeats. This after finishing 9th last season, sacking Mourinho in the middle of a dreadful run of draws and defeats, and then doing even worse when he left. I was starting to get a bit annoyed because it seemed so unrealistic but what the Hell I'm lapping it up now :D 

Jose was sacked after we beat them, and as you can see it didn't get any better:

20180831081441_1.jpg

This season has started off even worse, out of the League Cup at the first hurdle, no European football yet losing matches all over the place:

20180831081450_1.jpg

On 29/08/2018 at 00:15, Snorks said:

So, what are the Mourinho tactics in FM?

Have only played Man Utd once in this save, beat them 2-0 at Old Trafford.

Also haven't had trouble with them in either this or the last version.  FM17 I beat them something like 7 times in a row... and I was hardly a world-beater at the time, it was with Southampton.  

The problem isn't Jose, or the club itself in United -- it's the squad they have and how they are rated.  Martial and Rashford are both viewed as world-beaters within just a year or two in-game.  They usually buy REALLY well in-game.  My current save is entering Year 4, and who have they purchased in that time:

Dybala, Belotti, Alaba, Wesley Hoedt, Berardi, Semedo, Ricardo Pereira, D. Suarez, C. Vargas -- all those added to the good players in the core of Pogba, Lukaku, Fred, De Gea, Rashford.   

They are like this in most saves... they aren't dealing with a bad Ed Woodward in-game, they are buying like they did with Sir Alex in charge.  Honestly, with that squad, I'm surprised they haven't won EVERYTHING in my save, but Barca has won the last two UCL.  (United won 18/19/20 EPL)  

Klopp, Pep, and Pochettino have all been replaced in my save.  Klopp went to Arsenal, Zidane is now at City, Şenol Güneş (???) is at Tottenham after both Poch and Jorge Jesus replaced.  Every game is different... I've seen saves where Pep destroys everyone, I've seen Klopp step up... I've even seen saves where Wenger goes on a two or three-year winning tilt before moving back as DoF at Arsenal or taking the France job.

My target in each save (journeyman/career) is to win CL with Man United. I always start with a random club, this save it was in Serie A. My 'rules' are (with  a few exceptions), I accept a job if it pays more, the club has a better rep, or plays in a higher rated league. The exceptions are: Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal, Man City and Leeds - for me to accept those jobs they have to DOUBLE my current salary. (This is where real life takes over - I am a United fan).

Having won Europa League, and Serie A (unbeaten)  both Arsenal and Liverpool came knocking - both nearly doubled my salary so I turned them down. Liverpool came back, offered more, it was double plus 1k a week - DAMN!

So here's me, a died in the wool United fan. telling the press what a privilige it is, how honoured I am to be Liverpool manager - all the while looking down the East Lancs road.

So, United, with seven games left in the season, are sitting in 5th place, we have beaten them twice, Liverpool, are top. Two points clear of Chelsea. League Cup is in the Anfield trophy cabinet, although the board weren't bothered I went for it - better to  get silverware early - and the Liverpool manager secretly hoping Mourinho doesn't qualify for CL and gets sacked.

Good job I bought a house in Cheshire and not Merseyside lol

Mano Menezes took over from Mourinho in my save and is just a disaster tbh. They are in 15th place in the league in November, and playing dreadful.
Menezes has a motivation attribute of ONE (must be random at game start) so he can't even inspire the players to turn it around.

I'm enjoying it.

13 hours ago, Snorks said:

My target in each save (journeyman/career) is to win CL with Man United. I always start with a random club, this save it was in Serie A. My 'rules' are (with  a few exceptions), I accept a job if it pays more, the club has a better rep, or plays in a higher rated league. The exceptions are: Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal, Man City and Leeds - for me to accept those jobs they have to DOUBLE my current salary. (This is where real life takes over - I am a United fan)....

Interesting. I look to do similarly with the exceptions that I look to end up at City and won't manage any other Premier League team.

Some teams in general are way OP, i’m good at the game now and even still some teams have 40 shots v me no matter how I setup lol. I was 2nd with reading in the prem season straight of promotion and man city and chelsea each averaged a shot every 2-3 minutes against me whilst I was comfortably beating mid table teams.

• 4 weeks later...
On 31/08/2018 at 17:10, jaysdailydose said:

Also haven't had trouble with them in either this or the last version.  FM17 I beat them something like 7 times in a row... and I was hardly a world-beater at the time, it was with Southampton.  

The problem isn't Jose, or the club itself in United -- it's the squad they have and how they are rated.  Martial and Rashford are both viewed as world-beaters within just a year or two in-game.  They usually buy REALLY well in-game.  My current save is entering Year 4, and who have they purchased in that time:

Dybala, Belotti, Alaba, Wesley Hoedt, Berardi, Semedo, Ricardo Pereira, D. Suarez, C. Vargas -- all those added to the good players in the core of Pogba, Lukaku, Fred, De Gea, Rashford.   

They are like this in most saves... they aren't dealing with a bad Ed Woodward in-game, they are buying like they did with Sir Alex in charge.  Honestly, with that squad, I'm surprised they haven't won EVERYTHING in my save, but Barca has won the last two UCL.  (United won 18/19/20 EPL)  

Klopp, Pep, and Pochettino have all been replaced in my save.  Klopp went to Arsenal, Zidane is now at City, Şenol Güneş (???) is at Tottenham after both Poch and Jorge Jesus replaced.  Every game is different... I've seen saves where Pep destroys everyone, I've seen Klopp step up... I've even seen saves where Wenger goes on a two or three-year winning tilt before moving back as DoF at Arsenal or taking the France job.

I wonder if the issues is in fact the consistency attribute?

We know Pogba on his day for example is world class but how often does he turn up  and play at a world class level. perhaps that is the balance that needs addressing

I am also in the camp that the ME perhaps tends, at least for FM18, toward the manager playing style of Mourinho than it does say of Pep.

A way of testing could also be to adjust the manager playing style of a mid table expected lower league and see if the excel beyond expectation?

On 26/09/2018 at 04:14, Dagenham_Dave said:

Yes, because the same season being played over and over 100 times is highly realistic. 

can somebody get this scout game report for manutd in game ?

for example this is Bayern Munich :

OL17Isv.jpg

TU3qcyF.jpg

we may get some useful info

I'm  afraid I disagree that 4-2-3-1 is a killer formation - this in fact seems to be 4-3-3 in terms of goals :)

I believe it to be the playing style of manager's at top teams that has an infleunce. I'm sure this has been considered for FM19 and I hope long term soak tested

In terms of exploits  etc i'm sure there will be something waiting to be found but lets hope not ;) 

In my save, United have won back to back trebles (FA Cup, PL, CL), 3-out-of-4 PLs. I am early in 2022-23 and they are 8-0-0 and have outscored opponents 30-3. I almost stopped them in the last two CLs, but it wasn’t to be. Lukaku has been a last-30 minutes sub for the last year and a half, they are that good.

The only thing realistic in FM 18 about Mourinho is that he loves to run his mouth off in press conferences, belittles you as a manager if you are successful, and he's programmed to be an asshole. I'm in the year 2031 in my current save, he's still at Man U and having great success. 

I wonder what ratings he will have in FM 19. Will they be based on the rep from his 1st stint at Chelsea or the dumpster fire that's currently happening at Old Trafford?

I think it’s more the talent than the coach.

I have a very good squad. I have the second highest European co-efficient as of the start of 2022-23. I’ve made CL final four and final the last two years. I’ve got good players, not just the tactics.

My 8th best player is 3.5 stars, I assume this is kind of typical since your stars are based on your own team.

United’s 8th best player is 4.5 stars.

So I think it’s more the budget and how well they’ve spent it than anything so incredible about how Jose is programmed as a coach. They just play a 4-2-3-1 like many other teams.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in 2030 on my save now, Manchester United's last PL championship was in 2021. Only trophies in that time have been a Carabao Cup, 2 FA Cups and a Community Shield. Surprisingly, Mourinho is still their manager. Pep Guardiola was sacked from Manchester City in 2018, moved to FC Porto for a couple seasons, then to Juventus, and most recently, joined West Ham where he just led them to the PL title by 13 points.

Archived