Football Manager 2018 *Official* Feedback Thread

8 hours ago, Trevor L. said:

I agree the packages are a little confusing. I am running a few tests on a throwaway save to see if I can get my head around them. I cannot believe it is as difficult as it is being made out, I think we just need to study it a bit.

Trevor L.

I completely understand how the scouting works. It’s just the costs. You still have to pay for all the scouting you do even if your conducting an assignment within those criteria’s. So if your board says you can scout within England and you have a Vanarama package you are charged £850pcm for that package and then charged separately for all assignments related to the Vanarama. players, league, opposition etc. It’s costing £800 plus to get one player from 0-100% knowledge. Don’t forget you are also paying your scout a weekly wage. I don’t think you should be paying for scouting if your package covers it. 

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If u are able to find all the right screens (with help from this page) then the game is very good .

I'm playing with Bilbao so maybe i'm less involved with things that aren't working that great (scouting * transfers).

Edited by Olivierlandman

just a quick note anyone else getting mass slow down when playing the game ? my hd is running at 20 % memory 25% cpu 10% so nothing bad there. not overly hot and im not even in the match. there is just a mass pause everytime i press on anything like a player profile or anything pretty annoying.

I'd be really curious as to current soak tests collecting a couple data. Reasons of which:

Shot counts in generally.

The statistically "Big batterings" seem to have come down significantly, also between teams leagues apart. I've always held the position that once the match engine was able to create a match between teams leagues apart and, the better side still (on occasion) struggling to create openings would be a good day. Still, curious. When I see Bayern thrashing Cologne 5-1 and look into the stats, their shot advantage can be no more than 13-8. Even home matches against Freiburg rarely reach the 20 shots, you may as welll see just 13 Bayern attempts  (RL football: 18+ shots on average for the past couple seasons, which is constant and pretty much in line with any "dominating" team.

Forward conversions.

AI stats like this remain curious. A top forward who converts 1 in 10, up to 1 in 13 shots (when the long-term average is about 5). Sides that still face a lot of attacking teams naturally face an inherent edge, as they face nobody keeping it tight. Still, curious. In particular as forwards of top teams don't face problems in general. Yes, it's their tactics. Haven't taken a further look (for some AI shenanigans, see the big post on the last page.) :)

Z0ZMMu3.jpg

Chances created (big connection to this)

Things that immediately stick out on any sim.

9DJBMB8.jpg

- The dominating sides aren't near as dominating as they are in real football, which may be down to the subjective nature of the chance categories.  Even in the SHOT ON TARGET ratings under shots, the dominating teams rarely run away ahead of anybody else. When the average is about 4 shots on target / FOR, they record 6+, in completely unbalanced leagues 8+ (Celtic). I rarely see Bayern/Dortmund in this running away either. Which may explain a few AI inconsistency all itself. Won't be all tactical, will likely be connected to general ME tweaking too (and superior players not opening cans of space as consistently as they did before, e.g. "super dribblers".)  Slightly OT, but what's been missing here either way for the "FULLY PICTURE" is a column that collects CHANCES CONCEDED (same for shots). I reckon on FM likewise, football isn't merely about attacking, but also defending. :)

All full match details, naturally. I like the general direction of this, no least because FM has never managed to replicate a match where superior sides struggle for attempts -- the further you go back, the more those matches tended to be of the 25 shots+ kind just by playing superior sides against inferior that typically tries to keep it tight. Though it appears to need some further tuning.

Edited by Svenc

1 minute ago, gar23 said:

Was planning on buying the game and a new laptop today. Having read this forum,i will probably wait until the new year 

Download the demo. It's free, and you can make your own mind up rather than go by what's written on here. People who post on here will generally be leaving negative feedback, such is the nature of the beast. Nothing to lose by trying the demo for yourself. 

I have been playing football manager since 2011. Its an addictive game and i enjoy it the most. Hence i am one of the users who plays the game even in the beta version. This time around the game was too buggy in the beta version and i thought they might correct it once the actual game comes out but they haven't.

1. When a player is injured i get a dark yellow mark beside him to show he has a mild injury during the match but it takes sometimes 15 to 30 mins of the football match before i get a prompt from my assistant manager to sub him.

2. During a penalty i get an option to change the kick taker but no matter what i do he doesnt change. If Player A steps up originally for the penalty and i change him to player B still Player A will be the penalty taker.

3. On multiple occasions i have changed the role and duty of the player. For eg. if i change player A from Inside Forward (Attack) which he has a yellow circle (Well suited for the role) to Inside forward (Support) which should have a green circle (Natural for the role) it still shows yellow! I have to change the screen and come back here for the effect to take place i.e go to the home screen and then come back to the tatics page and boom it goes green!

4. Issue 3 is for red cards and injured players as well. If Player A is injured and on the tactics page i get a small plus (+) to show he is injured or a red card over the player to show he is red carded. If i remove the player from the lineup and select another player in his place he too shows a red card or a small plus over him. I have to change the screen and come back here for the effect to take place i.e go to the home screen and then come back to the tatics page for the red card or the plus to go away.

5.  Notifications that come on top of the page like those of goals scored etc come way after the goal has actually scored and sometimes they dont go away for a significant period of time.+

6. Sometimes while simulating the days the game hangs. it starts again the moment i minimise the game and maximise it again or if i press alt+tab+delete.

These are some of the things i face. 

Some frustrating things about the game:

1. I really like the ingame screen with the teams on both sides and the stats and action zone in the middle. But in the stats coloumn we have shots, on targets etc etc which has possession stat last. i got scroll down to see this most imp stat for me. There is no way to add or remove the stats i want to see or to even make the stats part larger. (I am not talking abt when highlights are running because there i can add a table with the stats i want and resize it but during the time we are waiting for another hightlight to pop up)

2. Opposition instructions are far too many clicks away.

I have the latest version of the game and i have a strong enough pc to run the game smoothly just in case someones tells me to update the game or paste the PC Specs here

19 hours ago, michaeltmurrayuk said:

On the Player Profile screen go to the Overview -> Profile Screen in the positions tab select the Highlight drop down and click the 'Highlight Key Attributes for Role' option so the box is no longer active and the highlight should disappear from both this and the the Attributes screen.

Many thanks

Just wondered how long it takes for on pitch relationship lines to start showing. Non currently showing after 6 pre season games using same formation and player line-ups most of the time. Presumably pre-season games help to start building such relationships? Is there a minimum amount of time/games before they show? Hopefully their non appearance so far is because of a lack of time rather than a bug.

• Administrators
1 minute ago, mhaffy said:

Just wondered how long it takes for on pitch relationship lines to start showing. Non currently showing after 6 pre season games using same formation and player line-ups most of the time. Presumably pre-season games help to start building such relationships? Is there a minimum amount of time/games before they show? Hopefully their non appearance so far is because of a lack of time rather than a bug.

Have you clicked the 'Analysis' button on the top right of the Tactics screen? Only if that's selected will it show. 

1 minute ago, Neil Brock said:

Have you clicked the 'Analysis' button on the top right of the Tactics screen? Only if that's selected will it show. 

Thanks for swift response Neil. Yes I have clicked analysis button - when I hover over squares info on which players are "covering it" appear along with their role suitability but no lines at all yet. I did have lines in beta but cannot remember when they started to appear.

3 hours ago, RorysRocketThrow said:

Park benches in the corners of Premier League Stadiums?  Really?  That is poor representation SI.  In reality, you don't see Park benches in the main at any level above the National League these days.

Who on earth designed it and who passed it off as acceptable?

This has been mentioned quite a few times on the forums, but so far no comment from SI.  It is though whoever designed and passed it has never been to a real football stadium

3 hours ago, RorysRocketThrow said:

Park benches in the corners of Premier League Stadiums?  Really?  That is poor representation SI.  In reality, you don't see Park benches in the main at any level above the National League these days.

It would have looked better if they'd have just left the corners of the stadiums empty because those picnic benches are an eyesore, but I do think it's time SI implemented a stadium editor so we can design the stadiums ourselves.

1 hour ago, Scatterbrook said:

It would have looked better if they'd have just left the corners of the stadiums empty because those picnic benches are an eyesore, but I do think it's time SI implemented a stadium editor so we can design the stadiums ourselves.

Maybe that is the only answer because the stadiums are totally unrealistic this year.  This has been well documented but things like the picnic benches "cinema doors" sash windows on executive boxes, massive and excessive stairwells, everone in the crowd looking identical in replica shirts and in lots of the stadiums lack of stewards, photographers and tv cameras.  All in all a very poor effort from Si in this respect.

Edited by Tony Wright 747

4 hours ago, RorysRocketThrow said:

Totally agree, will this be fixed in the next patch SI?

I honestly cannot believe the state of the UI in the final game this year.  Why on Earth are most of the important functions/information that people actually want to use or see hidden behind multiple clicks or behind seemingly random places/options? Cycling through players on the scouting page is a mess, the match screen doesn't even warrant discussion after it's been covered so much already, the tactics screen is so unwieldy and confusing for no reason, the backgrounds are gross and distracting.....there is literally nothing in the UI that is anything other than a huge step backwards in every area.

The match engine seems ridiculous too. Every game i'm seeing 3-4 crosses that go straight to the keeper in the most feeble way, and another 3-4 crosses that become a shot that the player "certainly didn't mean!". Can't actually remember seeing players tackle each other either, it's all interceptions or just waiting until the team in possession takes a shot, puts it out of play.

6 hours ago, wicksyFM said:

I completely understand how the scouting works. It’s just the costs. You still have to pay for all the scouting you do even if your conducting an assignment within those criteria’s. So if your board says you can scout within England and you have a Vanarama package you are charged £850pcm for that package and then charged separately for all assignments related to the Vanarama. players, league, opposition etc. It’s costing £800 plus to get one player from 0-100% knowledge. Don’t forget you are also paying your scout a weekly wage. I don’t think you should be paying for scouting if your package covers it. 

To be honest I like the fact that if you manually want to scout 1 player you have to pay more. The real problem is IF packages give you advantages about the players that scouts suggest you or not. If with a better package the scouts find players that wouldn't have found with a worse one then I like it :) 

Edited by ParanoidBuddha

Guest El Payaso
4 hours ago, Svenc said:

Sad to see something like that and even though I generally really enjoy this game this puts me a little bit of from it. Don't really want big teams and great players to struggle like that as it will make the gaming experience in general really unrealistic. While the big teams shouldn't be reaching 30-35 shots a game like for example Tottenham regularly did in FM 2017 there still should be much clearer difference in terms of quality. 

I just managed my first competitive fixture with the full game and really liked what I saw in general: hard to create chances, defenders being up to the level of the strikers and some really good ball movement from both sides. It's just one game but compared to FM 2017 it seems really good. The only worry basically was the fact how the opposition defended on one of the goals: I was countering them really well but they still had man advantage inside the area but their four players suddenly shifted to mark one of my players in the middle leaving one player completely unmarked at near post and he could set up a late runner inside the penalty area. Generally I feel that the centre backs especially should be better inside the penalty area in terms of positioning and moving compared to most of the strikers. After all not many strikers even are able to score regularly from crosses but on FM it doesn't seem to be demanding to be a good penalty area player. During the pre-season for example had Timo Werner and some other smaller player dominating my defense inside the penalty area while neither of them had their strengths on playing inside the penalty area. I would expect someone like Morata or Dzeko to be threatening there but small players should struggle more if your style of play is based on crossing. 

I would also raise midfield's defensive organizing once again on the frame as especially playmakers still are seeing too much of the ball as well as strikers who tend to drop deep to get the ball. Not expecting the game to have any high pressing system suddenly but if the teams are not going to press then they should be even more organized in the middle and able to position themselves better. At the moment this all seems a bit of a mess at times and teams are being to able to pass through the middle even clearly short handedly. Dropping strikers to defend would once again solve a lot of these issues. 

Finishing for me is a thing that isn't necessarily on the level as it should be. I feel that the players need to have a really good chance to be able to score while I posted on that one thread about finishing and noting that for example Messi did get about 30% of his goals from situations that weren't even a half chance. At least my midfielders and strikers plunder really many quite freely taken shots from the edge of the penalty area and only seem to be able to regularly score about five to ten meters from the goal line. 

The amount of offsides especially when you watch the games on comprehensive is a pain and has forced me to change my player role up front as the complete forward was all the time in offside position. This of course is helping defenses to keep the number of shots and goals in more realistic amounts but this really isn't the right way to do it. I hope that this will be improved in future updates.

Really have to give thumbs up for the new scouting system. I know that everybody doesn't like it but I really love the fact that the scouts are now suggesting on players that seem legit and whom they could be having a longer look at. This missing was a part that I really didn't enjoy in previous versions and without setting the scouts to scouts someone for several weeks they wouldn't provide you any comprehensive information about a single player no matter how long they were for example scouting for a league or country. 

In general seems a really good game and I'm liking it more than I expected and not going to be thinking about refunding anymore. Good progress SI.

32 minutes ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

I've got the 'winter ball' in preferences set to be bright yellow, but in-game it's a murky red colour making it difficult to see in 3D. Anyone else getting this? 

Is that the FA cup ball or in all games? 

I already complained they were using the pink fa cup ball (which look murky red in game) during beta, whereas this year's fa cup ball is barely pink, but seem to have been ignored. 

2 hours ago, El Payaso said:

Finishing for me is a thing that isn't necessarily on the level as it should be. I feel that the players need to have a really good chance to be able to score while I posted on that one thread about finishing and noting that for example Messi did get about 30% of his goals from situations that weren't even a half chance. At least my midfielders and strikers plunder really many quite freely taken shots from the edge of the penalty area and only seem to be able to regularly score about five to ten meters from the goal line.

Naturally, my main stance has been a bit different. My argument was always that, if there was a generally big issue, it was that generally low percentage shots would have been created too oftenly. Which (could) lead to a perception of unfairness, when it really was more like Liverpool at their worst this season, with up to 40 shots getting fired readily (in parts due to defensive engagement around the box, or lack thereof) and then naturally one at best getting converted off them (see also your typical Liverpool xG map :D ) I don't think they'll ever get this fully accurate (it's a sim, right), but that defensive engagement seems to improve to the point that such a huge amount of low percentage shots isn't possible anymore would be a plus... the most comically highlighting this was naturally "exploit tactics" pushing everybody and their mom in front of the opposition box as usual -- but then coming against an AI on the occasion jam packing precisely that area which to encourage such may not be needed that much anymore  as wide midfielders help defending inside again. Thus would be decent if the 60 (poor) shots no goal would be a thing of the past too connected to those on occasion. Generally completely overloading still appars too effective and of course there's also creative shapes not defended well as usual, but you don't have to use them (3 forwards too).

AI forwards can be weird. Leipzig in the BL seem to firing on all cylinders most of the time, I've seen Werner scoring 21 after 17 matches in one run, with his general shot conversion being in the 1 in 4 range (and almost half his shots on target being converted into goals) -- at such rates, he would also fire 5 attempts per match/average, which happens to be what Messi has in general throughout his career. The best shot converesion so far was Hannover's Harnik, converting every third attempt, and a scary 75% shot on target conversion to boot (until Decembre) -- playing for Hannover he is naturally given a bit of that "counter attacking" benefits still as Hannover initially may not face that many defensive sides (at the start of the game, they are just promoted). As everybody may know, having good conversion doesn't mean more goals than Lewandowski, quite the opposite in fact. There is this inherent paradoxon to football that forwards / teams who have the most chances (big too) tend to be the ones who miss the most too, which is totally natural. Harnik thus sported impressive conversion rates, but at around 2 attempts per match, he scored "but" 9.

That said, from the brief playing time I had myself, it doesn't "feel" quite as you're in "auto rollover" mode anymore when managing the super top teams either. At least not as previous. Have also seen somebody arguing that he found it difficult to impose the own game in particular away at third tier opposition outside in Europe. Which naturally would also be a thing for AI managers managing such teams... As said, that was only text commentary yesterday, but I can't remember a version where I did similar and found Leverkusen suddenly "bossing" Bayern but once. Early impressions but that was quite refreshing as it caught me completely off-guard, though the balance seems to be shifting some here towards "tactics" again, which also means AI managers have to get better tactically. :D By FM 2015 you could keep ten players behind the ball, boot it upfield to Messi and he would still ensure enough goals (and dribblings around half the defense) to keep Barca somewhat afloat. No more, I guess.

Edited by Svenc

12 minutes ago, Per Annum said:

Is that the FA cup ball or in all games? 

I already complained they were using the pink fa cup ball (which look murky red in game) during beta, whereas this year's fa cup ball is barely pink, but seem to have been ignored. 

Actually aye, it was the FA Cup, never knew there was a separate ball for this. Strange you can't change the colour of that one. 

3 hours ago, Tony Wright 747 said:

Maybe that is the only answer because the stadiums are totally unrealistic this year.  This has been well documented but things like the picnic benchesn "cinema doors" sash windows on exutive boxes, massive and excessive stairwells, everone in the crowd looking identical in replica shirts and in lots of the stadiums lack of stewards, photographers and tv cameras.  All in all a very poor effort from Si in this respect.

I think SI thought they had nailed it with this years 3D engine and new stadium designs especially with them removing certain aspects of the 2D gameplay. The reveal videos and certain comments made by SI staff would also suggest this too. Unfortunately, judging by the feedback from FM gamers, it would seem that most people think the stadium designs have taken a step backwards this year.

I wish someone would start a campaign or petition to get SI to include a stadium editor for next year!

12 minutes ago, Scatterbrook said:

I think SI thought they had nailed it with this years 3D engine and new stadium designs especially with them removing certain aspects of the 2D gameplay. The reveal videos and certain comments made by SI staff would also suggest this too. Unfortunately, judging by the feedback from FM gamers, it would seem that most people think the stadium designs have taken a step backwards this year.

I wish someone would start a campaign or petition to get SI to include a stadium editor for next year!

You may well be right that SI thought they had "nailed it", but I fail to understand why no one at SI didn't look at the stadiums early in the process and say "hold it, these don't look right".  Most of the guys down at SI are football fans and go to games, Miles is down at Watford nearly every week, I fail to see how these poor designs were not spotted

Wow , even in the Release Version , Man City , Barca and other Possession teams , are not really playing their style of Football . That is really disappointing ...  City and Barca having average Possession lower than 50% lmao ... I thought that was something knew and gonna fix ?

The more I'm playing this game, the more I'm struggling to attach myself to it, I'm seriously thinking about going back to FM17.

The match day UI is really starting to grate on me now, to the point I might have to re-try this after a patch or a match day skin. The loss of the overview page at the end of a game, which I've mentioned earlier this weekend in this thread, is a big loss to me - this is a screen I check religiously after every single game, for years of FM playing, which is sadly now not available to me.

Some of the stadiums are terrible too, I know they are generic, but there's some odd items randomly scattered around certain stadiums that just don't need to be there. Some odd crowd sizes/noises and smaller details inside the stadium don't help the 3D match engine's realism.

The scouting is confusing too, I've read numerous things in here about it so I'm glad I'm not the only one, I think SI need to release an idiots guide to scouting, or something, to give us absolute clarity on how it exactly works, and how it works within different levels of the game.

On the whole, I think there are too many extra clicks within the FM18 journey - these need reducing.

100% this game needs patching, as soon as possible.

Whats the craic with youth leagues? 

I have a good regen I picked up in season 1 in my Cheltenham youth team. Had banged in 17 youth league goals according to his stats page. Yet if I navigate to the youth league in question there's no stats at all, for neither team or players 

strikers still dont defend which means you still cant play with 2 strikers. you would think they would fix this after 3-4 versions of the game going through 15-20 patches in total. in fact the AM now even joins them as they stay next to each high up as your team is being attacked. no i dont want to use a defensive forward. no my tactics are not extra offensive. yes they are on support duty.

in general, i mostly find the same things that stopped me playing the previous versions of the game still there in full effect. 

I dont like how clinical strikers suddenly forget how to score identical chances away from home to ones at home. Scripted much?

I also dont like how in one on one situations, you pretty much know your player will miss. No doubt some SI guy has some stats to prove the game is right that 4/5 one on ones are always missed though.

And wingers cross into the side netting all the time.

And goalkeepers fumble the ball over the line for a corner every game too.

Why? thats rubbish.

Having just completed a pre-season with the full game now I'm starting to warm to this version. It certainly feels a lot smoother than the Beta and most of my issues now are with the UI on matchdays etc which hopefully will get sorted at some point. As a game though I am enjoying it immensely.

11 hours ago, gar23 said:

Was planning on buying the game and a new laptop today. Having read this forum,i will probably wait until the new year 

Is the game ever worth buying in the first month of release? You cannot really get a save going until Feb/March and the final edition, as you need to restart to include all the fixes that have been included. 

I find buying it early means you stop, start new saves continually just without committing to a longterm save. 

I'm currently on a longterm save in FM 17 9The longest FM save I've done)  unless FM 18 is significantly different will not buy FM 18, my next purchase of FM will be FM 19 in March 2019. Or how I feel the finished version or FM 19.5.